PDA

View Full Version : Enforce a signature size, please.

Interpol
03-01-2004, 06:32 PM
Ok, there are several people on these boards now, with pictures that are the size of desktop wallpaper. It is a pain, and they should not be allowed.

A)they are annoyingly large, so that threads are twice as long as they need to be

B) The file sizes are almost 100Kb on some, making loading a thread a real pain for dial up users.

BlueDamsel
03-01-2004, 06:33 PM
Of course, what I forgot to mention in the other thread you started about this is that you can turn off images in the signature...Go to your user cp & make the selection that says "do not show signatures of other users".

Interpol
03-01-2004, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by FutureMrsPortis
Of course, what I forgot to mention in the other thread you started about this is that you can turn off images in the signature...Go to your user cp & make the selection that says "do not show signatures of other users".

But thats how I look for responses in posts from particular users. I equate their signature with them.

When I see bert telling the the current danger level, I know its you.

When my screen is filled with a life sized picture of someone, I get a little peeved.

BlueDamsel
03-01-2004, 11:51 PM
LOL what are you going to do when the terror level changes?

ozzy_osbourne
03-02-2004, 01:55 PM
case in point "The X-Factor 82" pic in the sig line is wayyy to big... I can understand some of the pics in the sig line but this one is too big... IMO...

The X-Factor 82
03-03-2004, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by ozzy_osbourne
case in point "The X-Factor 82" pic in the sig line is wayyy to big... I can understand some of the pics in the sig line but this one is too big... IMO... Awwww stop crying! You guys complain about the smallest things! If it bothers you that much then go to your options and TURN OFF the signatures. I don't mean to be harsh but C'MON!

broncosbeast
03-13-2004, 04:56 PM
Check out eastcoastbrawla. His sig is riddiculous.

broncosbeast
03-13-2004, 05:00 PM
And DPAC88.

cprender8
03-21-2004, 03:27 PM
seriously! and that cprender dude... wutta ***

EddyMac87
03-21-2004, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by cprender8
seriously! and that cprender dude... wutta *** lol your sigs hilarious

broncosbeast
04-10-2004, 07:15 AM
cprender8, come on, that sig is bordering tasteless.

BroncoCat
05-01-2004, 01:12 AM
Sounds like a personal problem. Someone with a picture of a lemonhead rubbing his crouch complaining about everyone else’s picture size is Freudian Slip at best. You need to invest in DSL or Cable.

Booher
06-15-2004, 02:32 PM
how bout we limit the amount of pics in ours sigs to 1 and of a reasonable size

AZ Snake Fan
06-15-2004, 06:43 PM
i would prefer each guy be "reasonable" --- however, like the great flag you have flown --- to each his own.

Nixhex78
06-22-2004, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Booher
how bout we limit the amount of pics in ours sigs to 1 and of a reasonable size

Not a bad idea. However if it bothers you that much you can choose not to view sigs in your user profile.

broncos_mgr
06-23-2004, 11:17 AM
Unfortunately, a shortcoming in our Message Board software makes us unable to limit the size of signature images. We have added an item to the Code of Conduct making "excessively large images" inappropriate. That's completely subjective, and will be enforced as such.

If you have any questions, please let me know. :coffee:

Interpol
06-23-2004, 07:43 PM
Thank you for at least doing something. I would like to think it was due to people complaining about my sig.

Booher
07-25-2004, 10:54 AM
wow now I saw a guy with 2 clips in his sig I feel sorry for those of you who do not have broadband

dandaman23
07-25-2004, 11:53 PM
wow now I saw a guy with 2 clips in his sig I feel sorry for those of you who do not have broadband

I have dial-up and what I always do, is let the page and the posts download first, because the page downloads first and then the avatars and sigs, and then once I am able to read all the posts I just click the stop button on the top of the screen, and it stops it...Takes only about 30 seconds for a page to load, completely...Which is pretty good considering I have dial-up...

Elway
07-26-2004, 08:16 PM
I have dial up too, and the only reason they pop up faster now is becuase we outlawed most of the bigger obnoxious sigs many people were using.

bootydo
08-25-2004, 12:36 PM
anyone help me on posting a single, small sig?

rcsodak
08-25-2004, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by bootydo
anyone help me on posting a single, small sig?
go to the noob board....there's instructions

Interpol
09-15-2004, 11:27 AM
With half of the board now having two or three megabyte animated gif files as their signature, some people using these files THREE times in their sig, it is getting ridiculous.

Every other forum on the face of the planet enforces a signature size rule, both pixel width/height, and file size.

This board needs to do the same.

I don't care how good the people here are with their bootleg copies of photoshop, or that they know how to convert an avi clip to an animated gif.

We shouldn't have to load 30 megabytes of gif files per page to be able to read 4kB of text. It doesn't make any sense.

If we aren't gonna enforce a size than we might as well just all use 1600x1200 desktop animated gif files.

OrangeShadow
09-15-2004, 12:11 PM
geesh mine aint that bad

Interpol
09-15-2004, 12:12 PM
If you can't beat them, join them. And mine's bigger than yours.

Jared
09-15-2004, 12:24 PM
Look if there is anyone sig in particular that you have a problem with, PM me let me know. I'll be happy to ask them to change it.

I have done so in the past, and most people are cool with it. Those that aren't get it deleted.

But PLEASE, for the time being, remove that ridiculous sized thing.

orangenblue420
09-15-2004, 12:29 PM
although I do enjoy watchin the video of midget get his clocked lynched - i do agree - my page froze twice within 10 minutes yesterday due to someones sig - dont remember who - I honestly think it would make your duties much easier if you put a limit - if people want ot post a special video clip or something they can start a thread and people can stay out of the thread if they have dial up or whatever -

AsianOrange
09-15-2004, 01:02 PM
It's good to commermorate while we can. It might look ugly in December.

2 Minute Warning
09-15-2004, 03:46 PM
I agree, some of these pics are just wayyyyyyy too big, and I have broad band connection so they load fine for me, but still..........some are as big a wallpapers, a little resizing wouldn't hurt any body would it?

OrangeShadow
09-15-2004, 03:54 PM
None are as big as wallpapers. A regular wallpaper is 1024 by 768 pixels. None are even close to that.

2 Minute Warning
09-15-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by CBailey2404
None are as big as wallpapers. A regular wallpaper is 1024 by 768 pixels. None are even close to that.
I make wallpapers.......
As rule wallpapers are what you said 1024x768, or 800x600 .
No need for the "billboards" they allow on the board though.
Can't People make their point without taking up the whole page.

Booher
09-16-2004, 09:29 AM
The ridiculous part is when a user has 2 video clips in their sig ...I feel sorry for the dial up peeps.

heaney
09-16-2004, 03:35 PM
The ridiculous part is when a user has 2 video clips in their sig ...I feel sorry for the dial up peeps.

The only thing that happens on my dial-up is that the video is choppy, no biggie it's not like my computer is freezing up all the time

Lynch Bailey247
09-16-2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Interpol
With half of the board now having two or three megabyte animated gif files as their signature, some people using these files THREE times in their sig, it is getting ridiculous.

Every other forum on the face of the planet enforces a signature size rule, both pixel width/height, and file size.

This board needs to do the same.

I don't care how good the people here are with their bootleg copies of photoshop, or that they know how to convert an avi clip to an animated gif.

We shouldn't have to load 30 megabytes of gif files per page to be able to read 4kB of text. It doesn't make any sense.

If we aren't gonna enforce a size than we might as well just all use 1600x1200 desktop animated gif files.
quit your bitccccchin your annoying me, if no body uses a huge picture wahts the big deal or whatever jus shut up and deal with it

orangenblue420
09-18-2004, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by Renegades
Agreed, I'm getting quite sick of all these Bailey and Lynch GIF's, it's not like it's hampering my cable internet service down, but for the people on dial-up, it just has to be so frustrating. The other bad part about it is that those people are screwing over the places that they're getting those images from, those darn bandwitdh stealers.

Someone start a petition to limit one image per signature withing a limited size, preferables no bigger than 200 H x 600 W. I saw a flashing huge image in someones signature earlier; it was absolutely ridiculous, pointless at that. Thanks for bringing that to the Moderators attention.

Hopefully something is done about it.

Those huge flashing sigs (and other nasty ass pictures, pun intended for those that saw it) were replacing the Lynch/Hall hit - the host site or w/e it is put those in place of the video -

My question - what is stealing bandwidth - and why is it such a big freakin deal -

And once again LynchBailey - something is wrong with your sig - its the only one that fucs me up and I have cable connection - but when you post and I read - my whole page is real real slow and it has made it freeze twice already

Booher
09-18-2004, 08:44 AM
They added the size limitation to the code of conduct.I really wish the admin would also consider limiting the number of motion videos allowed in sigs to 1.

twotone
09-18-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by orangenblue420

My question - what is stealing bandwidth - and why is it such a big freakin deal -

A lot of places, particularly personal webpages, have a certain amount of bandwidth they can use in a certain amount of time. For instance, some web site hosts allow 100 mb of bandwidth in a month (just for an example, they are all different), which is how much data can be transferred THROUGH that host in that amount of time. Now, the thing with sig files and such, is that everytime that person makes a post, that sig file takes up bandwidth for ANYONE that downloads it. So now, let's suppose that someone has a 1 mb file in their sig (roughly the size of one of the vid pics). Now, every single time someone new or someone that doesn't have the pictures cached has to download that sig file again. You've seen how many views these threads get (sometimes in the thousands), so that 1 mb gets downloaded hundreds, sometimes thousands of times. Now imagine if you were hosting a sig pic on your personal site where you have a certain amount of bandwidth, and three other people that you don't know "steal" this pic and link it in their sig file, you've now used up an incredible amount of bandwidth, which means that no one can view that file, or the rest of your website, for the rest of the month. See how it could be annoying for the hosters?

Booher
09-26-2004, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by orangenblue420
Those huge flashing sigs (and other nasty ass pictures, pun intended for those that saw it) were replacing the Lynch/Hall hit - the host site or w/e it is put those in place of the video -

And once again LynchBailey - something is wrong with your sig - its the only one that fucs me up and I have cable connection - but when you post and I read - my whole page is real real slow and it has made it freeze twice already

What I do when I go to a topic page is hit the stop tab on my interent explorer thus stopping all those stupid clips. It makes things run smoother.

AdamTheAngle
09-27-2004, 11:35 PM
i agree with removing the giant signatures. its annoying. if there is a cool picture or video, put a url in the post. Don't turn the site into a Photoshop contest.

LiquidBlue
09-29-2004, 06:38 PM
lol

Maverick
11-04-2004, 12:33 AM
I think you all need to limit the size and the number of signatures.. this is extremely ridiculous. :laugh:

Vulcan
11-04-2004, 02:56 PM
I think you all need to limit the size and the number of signatures.. this is extremely ridiculous. :laugh:

Yet your signature is huge.

The X-Factor 82
11-04-2004, 03:04 PM
I think you all need to limit the size and the number of signatures.. this is extremely ridiculous. :laugh:lol what a hypocrite.

Maverick
11-04-2004, 10:05 PM
Yet your signature is huge.

I did it on purpose.. jeez some of the people on this board are just plain out dumb. :rolleyes:

orangenblue420
11-04-2004, 11:39 PM
I did it on purpose.. jeez some of the people on this board are just plain out dumb. :rolleyes:

Hey I resemble that remark :D - LOL

But your right - I just dont undertand why you can have a sig the size of Nebraska yest you cant have imgaes or more than 3 smilies :confused:

Nothing personal mods/admin - just sayin

Steve_Harbula
11-05-2004, 10:30 AM
Trust me, as soon as it's technically possible for us to regulate signature size we will. Unfortunately, the recent upgrade didn't provide the solution we were hoping for. Until then, we need all members to use good judgment on the size and number of images in their sigs. Please respect the fact that some folks are accessing the boards over dial-up and don't want to wait for big pictures. Refer to the Code of Conduct if you have any questions.

Thanks! :cheers: