PDA

View Full Version : If the season Ended Today: Playoff Scenarios and more!

RunYouOver
12-26-2006, 04:58 PM
I'm jumping the gun a little bit, posting this while the MNF game is in progress because I can see a lot of people are already asking about what WE need and all the scenarios, so here they are. Again, I'll bold and make all Broncos related info bigger in case you only care about the Broncos. I'll be posting info on the whole AFC, however, in case you want to know all about who we'd have to play and how it would wind up we'd play them.

Also, I'll be posting the match-ups if the season ended today, and what you need to root for if you're any of the teams in the hunt.

This may be a LONG post, so I'll try to do the best job I can with making the different sections of this post clear so you can find what you want quicky, because I know not everyone wants to read all of this.

Alright, so let's start with the seedings as of RIGHT now. (Although officially at 10:38 PM EST the Jet-Miami game is tied at 0, I'm going to count this as a Jets win for now. If the Jets lose, I'll update this thread accordingly.)

EDIT: Jets won, so everything stays the same.

Current AFC Seedings
1. z-San Diego 13-2
2. y-Baltimore 12-3
3. y-Indianapolis 11-4
4. y-New England 11-4
5. Denver 9-6 (1st WC)
6. NY Jets 9-6 (2nd WC)

y=Clinched Division
z=Clinched first round bye.

Still alive and In the Hunt--These teams are still alive, but need help to get into the playoffs. To see what they need, scroll down and find section "What teams need..."

7.Cincinnati 8-7
8.Tennessee 8-7
9.Jacksonville 8-7
10.Kansas City 8-7

What every team needs, and why they are that seed
Current Playoff teams
San Diego is currently in position to wrap up Homefield Advantage in the playoffs.
-In order to get homefield advantage, SD will need to either WIN, or have Baltimore lose in Week 17.
-They have clinched a first round bye.

Baltimore can wrap up a first round bye with a WIN or an Indy loss. -Baltimore can ALSO get homefield advantage throughout the playoffs with a win AND a San Diego loss, because if the two teams end the season tied, Baltimore beat SD, and therefore have the tiebreaker over them.
-Baltimore can LOSE it's first round bye with a loss AND an Indy win, because, if tied, Indy has a better strength of victory than Baltimore.

Indianapolis is currently in position to play the sixth seed in the AFC is the Wild Card round of the playoffs. They are the third seed because of a head-to-head win over New England.
-Indy can move into the second seed and a first round bye with a win AND a Baltimore loss.
-Indy can move into the fourth seed with a Loss AND a New England win.

New England is currently in position to play the fifth seed in the AFC in the Wild Card round of the playoffs.
-New England can move into the third seed with a win AND an Indy loss.
-New England can NOT get a first round bye.

Denver is currently in position to be the fifth seed in the playoffs, and play the fourth seed in the playoffs in the wild card round.. At this point, the fourth seed can be ONLY New England OR Indy.
-Denver can solidify their fifth seed with a win OR a Kansas city loss AND a Jets loss.
-Denver can become the sixth seed with a loss AND a Jets win AND a Kansas City loss.

The Jets are currently in position to be the sixth seed and play the third seed in the Wild Card Round of the playoffs.
-The Jets can solidify their spot as the sixth seed with a win OR a a Bengals, Jaguars, and Titans loss.
-The Jets can become the fifth seed with a win and a Broncos loss.

Cincinnati is currently not in the playoffs.
--To become the sixth Seed Cincinnati needs a win AND a Jets loss.
--Cincinnati can NOT be the fifth seed in the playoffs.

Tennessee is currently not in the playoffs.
--To become the sixth seed Tennessee needs a win AND a Cincinnati AND a Jets loss.
--Tennessee can NOT be the fifth seed in the playoffs.

Jacksonville is currently not in the playoffs.
--To become the sixth seed Jacksonville needs a Tennessee Loss (TEN holds divisional tiebreaker with Jax), a Cincinnati loss, and a Jets loss.
--Jacksonville can NOT be the fifth seed in the playoffs.

Kansas City is currently not in the playoffs.
--To become the sixth seed, KC needs a win and a Cincinnati loss, a Tennessee loss, and a Jacksonville loss.
--Because the Jets won last night, KC can NOT become the fifth seed in the playoffs.

Wild Card Week:

NY Jets @ Indy (Predicted Result: Jets 24 Colts 21)

Denver @ New England (Predicted Result: Denver 27 Patriots 17)

Divisional Week: (Match-Ups based on predicted results)

NY Jets @ San Diego (Predicted Result: San Diego 38 Jets 20)

Denver @ Baltimore (Predicted Result: Denver 17 Baltimore 14)

Championship Week: (Match-Up based on predicted results)

Denver @ San Diego (Predicted Result: San Diego 34 Denver 24)

Super Bowl: (Match-up based on predicted results, and predicted NFC Champ.)

San Diego vs. New Orleans in Miami. (Predicted Result: San Diego 38, New Orleans 31)

Predicted Super Bowl Champ: San Diego.

Only took an hour.

Questions about how a team can get in if such and such happens are encouraged, I'll do my best to answer them.

Enjoy!

NOTE: I made this last night...re-did it tonight.

RunYouOver
12-26-2006, 05:05 PM
Re-done and even better. :cheers:

mt2ri
12-26-2006, 05:39 PM
I'm jumping the gun a little bit..............

Wild Card Week:

San Diego vs. New Orleans in Miami. (Predicted Result: San Diego 38, New Orleans 31)

Looks to me like all we need to Get to the Big Game is for the J-E-T-S to upset the Bolts (it's never too late for Marty to choke), and the Broncs go ALL THE WAY!

Predicted SB Champs: DENVER BRONCOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nomad Broncofan
12-26-2006, 07:29 PM
I think Denver would find a way to beat the Chargers if they played again. But i don't think they get past NE in the first round!

RunYouOver
12-26-2006, 09:32 PM
I think Denver would find a way to beat the Chargers if they played again. But i don't think they get past NE in the first round!

Ha, so the opposite of what's been going on? :laugh:

We've struggled with the Chargers this year, but we've owned the Pats.

But I can see you're thinking...I don't really want to go into foxboro again this year :ugh:

Morambar
12-26-2006, 09:44 PM
If we lose and KC wins we're done. Let's beat SF before we start worrying about beating our playoff opponent. Hopiefully there's no fumble to give them a TD that keeps them in the game, like against Cincy and Arizona. I'm hoping Mike Bells starts, because he's been more productive than Tatum the last month or so. Besides, he needs one rushing TD to tie and two to break the record for a rookie UFA RB. We limit Gore Champ should be able to handle Battle and the rest of the secondary handle the rest, so all the offense has to do is block Bryant Young and protect the ball. This is no gimme (it's the NFL; Tennessee and Houston have both beaten both Mannings, ) but it's a very winnable game as long as we don't look past it. Win/tie OR KC loss/tie and we're in the playoffs. Loss+KC win and we watch the playoffs. GO BRONCOS!!!

mt2ri
12-27-2006, 08:37 AM
Ha, so the opposite of what's been going on? :laugh:

We've struggled with the Chargers this year, but we've owned the Pats.

But I can see you're thinking...I don't really want to go into foxboro again this year :ugh:

Actually, I'm pulling for Foxboro, bcuz it's 30 miles from me, and I'll be there wearing all the ORANGE I can find.

Go Broncos !!!!!!!!! :salute:

The Hamburgler
12-27-2006, 09:51 AM
Updated Draft Pick Info (http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=81024)

Medford Bronco
12-27-2006, 09:53 AM
Actually, I'm pulling for Foxboro, bcuz it's 30 miles from me, and I'll be there wearing all the ORANGE I can find.

Go Broncos !!!!!!!!! :salute:

Me too, I live in Medford and went to the game in September wearing a blue Broncos jersey. Very satisfying game. :salute:

Medford Bronco
12-27-2006, 09:55 AM
I'm jumping the gun a little bit, posting this while the MNF game is in progress because I can see a lot of people are already asking about what WE need and all the scenarios, so here they are. Again, I'll bold and make all Broncos related info bigger in case you only care about the Broncos. I'll be posting info on the whole AFC, however, in case you want to know all about who we'd have to play and how it would wind up we'd play them.

Also, I'll be posting the match-ups if the season ended today, and what you need to root for if you're any of the teams in the hunt.

This may be a LONG post, so I'll try to do the best job I can with making the different sections of this post clear so you can find what you want quicky, because I know not everyone wants to read all of this.

Alright, so let's start with the seedings as of RIGHT now. (Although officially at 10:38 PM EST the Jet-Miami game is tied at 0, I'm going to count this as a Jets win for now. If the Jets lose, I'll update this thread accordingly.)

EDIT: Jets won, so everything stays the same.

Current AFC Seedings
1. z-San Diego 13-2
2. y-Baltimore 12-3
3. y-Indianapolis 11-4
4. y-New England 11-4
5. Denver 9-6 (1st WC)
6. NY Jets 9-6 (2nd WC)

y=Clinched Division
z=Clinched first round bye.

Still alive and In the Hunt--These teams are still alive, but need help to get into the playoffs. To see what they need, scroll down and find section "What teams need..."

7.Cincinnati 8-7
8.Tennessee 8-7
9.Jacksonville 8-7
10.Kansas City 8-7

What every team needs, and why they are that seed
Current Playoff teams
San Diego is currently in position to wrap up Homefield Advantage in the playoffs.
-In order to get homefield advantage, SD will need to either WIN, or have Baltimore lose in Week 17.
-They have clinched a first round bye.

Baltimore can wrap up a first round bye with a WIN or an Indy loss. -Baltimore can ALSO get homefield advantage throughout the playoffs with a win AND a San Diego loss, because if the two teams end the season tied, Baltimore beat SD, and therefore have the tiebreaker over them.
-Baltimore can LOSE it's first round bye with a loss AND an Indy win, because, if tied, Indy has a better strength of victory than Baltimore.

Indianapolis is currently in position to play the sixth seed in the AFC is the Wild Card round of the playoffs. They are the third seed because of a head-to-head win over New England.
-Indy can move into the second seed and a first round bye with a win AND a Baltimore loss.
-Indy can move into the fourth seed with a Loss AND a New England win.

New England is currently in position to play the fifth seed in the AFC in the Wild Card round of the playoffs.
-New England can move into the third seed with a win AND an Indy loss.
-New England can NOT get a first round bye.

Denver is currently in position to be the fifth seed in the playoffs, and play the fourth seed in the playoffs in the wild card round.. At this point, the fourth seed can be ONLY New England OR Indy.
-Denver can solidify their fifth seed with a win OR a Kansas city loss AND a Jets loss.
-Denver can become the sixth seed with a loss AND a Jets win AND a Kansas City loss.

The Jets are currently in position to be the sixth seed and play the third seed in the Wild Card Round of the playoffs.
-The Jets can solidify their spot as the sixth seed with a win OR a a Bengals, Jaguars, and Titans loss.
-The Jets can become the fifth seed with a win and a Broncos loss.

Cincinnati is currently not in the playoffs.
--To become the sixth Seed Cincinnati needs a win AND a Jets loss.
--Cincinnati can NOT be the fifth seed in the playoffs.

Tennessee is currently not in the playoffs.
--To become the sixth seed Tennessee needs a win AND a Cincinnati AND a Jets loss.
--Tennessee can NOT be the fifth seed in the playoffs.

Jacksonville is currently not in the playoffs.
--To become the sixth seed Jacksonville needs a Tennessee Loss (TEN holds divisional tiebreaker with Jax), a Cincinnati loss, and a Jets loss.
--Jacksonville can NOT be the fifth seed in the playoffs.

Kansas City is currently not in the playoffs.
--To become the sixth seed, KC needs a win and a Cincinnati loss, a Tennessee loss, and a Jacksonville loss.
--Because the Jets won last night, KC can NOT become the fifth seed in the playoffs.

Wild Card Week:

Predicted Super Bowl Champ: San Diego.

Only took an hour.

Questions about how a team can get in if such and such happens are encouraged, I'll do my best to answer them.

Enjoy!

NOTE: I made this last night...re-did it tonight.

From your mouth to Gods ears :salute: :salute:

RunYouOver
12-27-2006, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the sticky. :salute:

PatsCrowEater
12-27-2006, 10:11 AM

From your mouth to Gods ears :salute: :salute:

NE has only given up 27 points once this year and that was to Indy. New England's Defense is also #2 in the NFL this year giving up only 14.3 yards per game.

Meanwhile, NE is scoring 23 points per game and Denver scores an avg. of 19.7 Therefore, I predict the final score will be:

New England 23
Denver 19.7

:D

LordTrychon
12-27-2006, 10:12 AM
NE has only given up 27 points once this year and that was to Indy. New England's Defense is also #2 in the NFL this year giving up only 14.3 yards per game.

Meanwhile, NE is scoring 23 points per game and Denver scores an avg. of 19.7 Therefore, I predict the final score will be:

New England 23
Denver 19.7

:laugh:

Ok... that was funny....

Medford Bronco
12-27-2006, 10:13 AM

New England 23
Denver 19.7

LOL PCE you found that.

I have already said that it will be a very very very very very tough game for Den to win in NE. Cutler although looking better is a rookie and the Pats have improved since last meeting in sept.

Also it is not etched in stone. Indy still could lose and NE wins and plays the Jets.

we shall see.

RunYouOver
12-27-2006, 10:16 AM

New England 23
Denver 19.7

OK, if you want to play like that........

The last 4 games, the Patriots are averaging: 23 a game. (Still? Wow. :eek: )
Denver is averaging: 25.25 points per game. That's in the Cutler era.

Also, average in the last performance of Broncos vs. New England in New England.

And the final score is:

Denver 23.6
New England 19.8

Now what PCE? :laugh:

Add in an extra bonus field goal for us, and that's not too far off from 27-17.

Ya never know ;)

PatsCrowEater
12-27-2006, 10:44 AM

OK, if you want to play like that........

The last 4 games, the Patriots are averaging: 23 a game. (Still? Wow. :eek: )
Denver is averaging: 25.25 points per game. That's in the Cutler era.

Also, average in the last performance of Broncos vs. New England in New England.

And the final score is:

Denver 23.6
New England 19.8

Now what PCE? :laugh:
;)

Hmmmm. Interesting. But I've decided to insert statistical data to determine the final score.

The probability of the Patriots scoring against the Broncos Defense and vice/versa involves a probability measure that assigns probabilities satisfying the Kolmogorov axioms to the measurable sets of a measurable space.

Where, P = Patriots and B = Broncos:

P(X − 1-(B))

The probability of a final score of

Patriots 23
Denver 14.3

becomes 94.5%

See how easy that was to determine? :D

TheFuture6
12-27-2006, 10:48 AM
enough with math for the insane. we dominated the pats earlier this year on the road, imagine what we can do this time with a real quarterback.

RunYouOver
12-27-2006, 10:53 AM
Hmmmm. Interesting. But I've decided to insert statistical data to determine the final score.

The probability of the Patriots scoring against the Broncos Defense and vice/versa involves a probability measure that assigns probabilities satisfying the Kolmogorov axioms to the measurable sets of a measurable space.

P(X − 1-(B))

Patriots 23
Denver 14.3

becomes 94.5%

I see, but what on earth does X equal? and how does that equate to a negative percentage of the broncos final score?

I think to correctly calculate the final score you would have to use this equation with P being the Patriots, B being the Broncos, X being the Patriots average scoring offense with Brady this year, Y being the Broncos average scoring offense with Cutler.

(XPsquared) (YBsquared) =Result(Divided by 2) times X, times y.

Take the result, split it equally.

And please tell me what you get because I have no idea what I just did. :heh:

TheFuture6
12-27-2006, 10:57 AM
I see, but what on earth does X equal? and how does that equate to a negative percentage of the broncos final score?

I think to correctly calculate the final score you would have to use this equation with P being the Patriots, B being the Broncos, X being the Patriots average scoring offense with Brady this year, Y being the Broncos average scoring offense with Cutler.

haha, that made me laugh pretty hard. nice post, CP's for you

PatsCrowEater
12-27-2006, 10:57 AM

You got the same thing as me:

Patriots 23
Broncos 14.3

The Patriots lost Corey Dillon in the first qtr of the Sept. game and NE had very little production from the run after that. When you also take in account that Denver's D has lost a step during the second half of the season you can easily see why both formulas produced the same result.

RunYouOver
12-27-2006, 11:00 AM
You got the same thing as me:

Patriots 23
Broncos 14.3

The Patriots lost Corey Dillon in the first qtr of the Sept. game and NE had very little production from the run after that. When you also take in account that Denver's D has lost a step during the second half of the season you can easily see why both formulas produced the same result.

I'm not so sure.

But I'll let it go. ;)

When the time comes, we'll see. :cheers:

mt2ri
12-28-2006, 07:59 PM
Me too, I live in Medford and went to the game in September wearing a blue Broncos jersey. Very satisfying game. :salute:

I was there too - Loved every minute of it!!!

http://www.nettik.com/thegame/broncoskickbutt.jpg

Trench777
12-29-2006, 01:08 PM
Foxboro sounds pretty good, when faced with the alternatives.

Alt A: Indy.
Alt B: Home on the couch.

Yikes.

T777

Bokyong
12-31-2006, 03:45 AM
If we lose and KC wins we're done.

If we lose and KC wins, Jets Lose we are the 6th seed, and KC is the 5th seed.

We would go over the Jets we have a better AFC record. We go tthe best AFC record of any team not a division leader. KC would go beofre us becase they go the better Division record. Jets should not go if it's between us them because of our AFC record.

dogfish
12-31-2006, 05:20 AM

P(X − 1-(B))

Patriots 23
Denver 14.3

becomes 94.5%

whoa, whoa. . . just a minute there einstein! this equation doesn't require the application of quantuum mathematics to determine a probable outcome. . . let's follow the principals of occam's razor and go with the simplest solution. . . . here's some math everyone can follow. . . .

meetings over the past two years. . .

victories: denver 3 - new england 0

given that maroney (M) > dillon (D) and cutler (C) > plummer (P), it's obvious that

D + C - P >> NE + D +/- M

your lessons at the community center may have paid off with good proficiency in english, but they should have paid more attention to your math skills. . . . .

Den21-Bal19
12-31-2006, 05:22 AM
If we lose and KC wins, Jets Lose we are the 6th seed, and KC is the 5th seed.

We would go over the Jets we have a better AFC record. We go tthe best AFC record of any team not a division leader. KC would go beofre us becase they go the better Division record. Jets should not go if it's between us them because of our AFC record.

KC would eliminate us from consideration based on their divisional record. The conference record wouldbe immaterial

Frick49ers
12-31-2006, 11:57 PM
Your season is over as of today no more pretending :P

Medford Bronco
01-02-2007, 09:15 AM
Your season is over as of today no more pretending :P

your season is over too, so I would not gloat too much :heh:

ps- great game and good luck next year.