PDA

View Full Version : Why aren't we in the Playoffs with a Jets Loss?

Bokyong
12-31-2006, 03:26 AM
Everyone is saying we are in no matter what the outcome of our game is if the Chiefs lose. Yes I agree, but we are guaranteed in the Playoffs if the Jets lose as well no matter the outcome of our game. We have the tie breaker over the Jets, They got a 6-5 AFC record we got 8-4. If both Jets lose and we lose we go over them.

We have the tie breaker on everyone in the AFC except the Chiefs. (Who have a better divison record) We got the better AFC record than anyone who is not a division leader. So what I see is We got 2 chances to get into the playoffs before we even kickoff. Jets loss or a KC loss will automatically put us in.

on the other hand I justr read who the Jets play, forget I said anything about them losing.

BroncoKazuki
12-31-2006, 03:33 AM
Read this before you spount that were not gonna make it.

Were in as long as we win today.

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=80962

so were in it even if the Jets win.

Bokyong
12-31-2006, 03:40 AM
Oh I know if we win we're in. The thing Iam asking is how come on ESPN they say only if the CHIEFS lose are we guaranteed in no matter the outcome of our game. They said we will know the Chiefs results before kickoff.

I am saying if the Jets lose we are in no matter what. Am I wrong? We have the tie breaker on the Jets if they lose we go they don't.

Thrasher
12-31-2006, 04:35 AM
If the Chiefs win and we lose, we're out. no matter of the outcome of the jets game.

Den21-Bal19
12-31-2006, 05:21 AM
First tie-break amongst Divisional sides is the divisinal record, then the Conference record, so the Chiefs would eliminate us there.

Prodigal19
12-31-2006, 06:12 AM
you guys dont seem to understand his question.
If the chiefs win, we lose, and the jets lose, wouldn't we still be in the playoffs? there are 2 wild card spots and the chiefs would obviously have one. We would haev the other though because we have the tie breaker over everyone else.

This is a good question and one that I do not know the answer to.

For example according to http://www.superbowl.com/playoffs/features/seeding/afc if we lose, the jets lose, kc wins and cinci wins, then cinci and the jets would have the 2 wild card spots. This makes absolutely no sense. We have the tie breaker over both of them, which is conference record. Ours is better than both of theirs.

Den21-Bal19
12-31-2006, 06:25 AM
you guys dont seem to understand his question.
If the chiefs win, we lose, and the jets lose, wouldn't we still be in the playoffs? there are 2 wild card spots and the chiefs would obviously have one. We would haev the other though because we have the tie breaker over everyone else.

This is a good question and one that I do not know the answer to.

My understanding is this:

The order of tie breaks is divisional rivals, then conference. The team eliminated at the divisional stage does not enter the equation at the conference stage.

The fact that we have the tie-break on everyone else is pretty much immaterial unless we finish with a better record the the Chiefs

So it's pretty much boom or bust, do or die if the Chiefs win later............win and go on or lose and pack it up for another year

broncophan
12-31-2006, 06:30 AM
:confused: ..........................

Prodigal19
12-31-2006, 06:33 AM

The order of tie breaks is divisional rivals, then conference. The team eliminated at the divisional stage does not enter the equation at the conference stage.

The fact that we have the tie-break on everyone else is pretty much immaterial unless we finish with a better record the the Chiefs

So it's pretty much boom or bust, do or die if the Chiefs win later............win and go on or lose and pack it up for another year
thats pretty dumb. So basically its impossibly for 3 teams from one division to make it to the playoffs? That is incredibly dumb actually. What if the 3 best teams in the nfl all happen to be in the same division...

Nomad Broncofan
12-31-2006, 07:13 AM

Good explanation! Easy way to sum it up, the Chargers swept the Broncos and the Chiefs beat the Charger and Broncos once. Chief have a better division record than the Broncos. And every team swept the Raiders. :clap:

The Big Dane
12-31-2006, 07:32 AM
thats pretty dumb. So basically its impossibly for 3 teams from one division to make it to the playoffs? That is incredibly dumb actually. What if the 3 best teams in the nfl all happen to be in the same division...

Unless that crazy strength of schedule tie breaker goes GBs way today (virtually impossible), 3 teams from the same division WILL make the playoffs this year, Eagles, Cowboys and Giants. It's only if you have a multiple team tiebreaker that you eliminate within the divisions first.

BaileyTheBest
12-31-2006, 07:44 AM

no, it's entirely possible for 3 teams from the same division to make it. for example, if the broncos and chiefs were both 10-6 and the next closest team was 9-7, then the broncos and chiefs would be the 2 wildcards. so it's possible and it has happened before i believe.

Juggernaught
12-31-2006, 08:03 AM
From what I just read. Yeah if the Jets lose we are also in.

The Big Dane
12-31-2006, 08:17 AM
No, the Jets game has no influence on whether we make the playoffs or not. If we win, we're the 5th seed no matter what. If we lose, the only way we get in, is if the Chiefs lost earlier in the evening, if they win, we'll be tied with at least the Chiefs and the Jets and we'll be eliminated first due to divisional record.

Only influence the Jets game has on us, is in case the Chiefs and us both lose, a Jets loss would mean we're still the 5th seed, a win and we're 6th and probably off to Indy for another major asswooping.

gaberox
12-31-2006, 08:53 AM
This chart should help.There is a scenario where Denver can lose today and still make it in.

http://www.superbowl.com/playoffs/features/seeding/afc

Cugel
12-31-2006, 09:33 AM
no, it's entirely possible for 3 teams from the same division to make it. for example, if the broncos and chiefs were both 10-6 and the next closest team was 9-7, then the broncos and chiefs would be the 2 wildcards. so it's possible and it has happened before i believe.
I thought that no third place team could get in too, but I was wrong! If 2 or more teams are tied with the same record then they have to apply tie-breakers, and the first tie-breakers are within the division. The 2 or 3 teams from the same division are apply the divisional tie-breakers (head-to-head, record within the division, etc.).

Example: 4 teams finish 10-6, three within the same division and 1 outside.

The divisional tie-breaker would eliminate two of the three teams within the division.

So, if you are the #3 team, then you CAN'T advance to the playoffs UNLESS you have a better record than any other potential wild-card team.

That rule change came in with the 4 division conference.

Hypothetical: This is bound to make some fans unhappy someday! Suppose during the regular season the Broncos beat the Bengals 40-0, and then the Broncos and Bengals all finished at 10-6, but the Chiefs went 11-5 only to lose the division to the Chargers.

Let's further assume that the Broncos beat the Chiefs twice, by identical 30-0 scores.

The wild-card teams would be the Chiefs and Bengals, even though Denver whipped the Bengals and Chiefs head to head!

Can you imagine the fans reaction? "Why Don't we have the tie-breaker? We beat them right?" :laugh:

Den21-Bal19
12-31-2006, 09:41 AM
I thought that no third place team could get in too, but I was wrong! If 2 or more teams are tied with the same record then they have to apply tie-breakers, and the first tie-breakers are within the division. The 2 or 3 teams from the same division are apply the divisional tie-breakers (head-to-head, record within the division, etc.).

Example: 4 teams finish 10-6, three within the same division and 1 outside.

The divisional tie-breaker would eliminate two of the three teams within the division.

So, if you are the #3 team, then you CAN'T advance to the playoffs UNLESS you have a better record than any other potential wild-card team.

That rule change came in with the 4 division conference.

Hypothetical: This is bound to make some fans unhappy someday! Suppose during the regular season the Broncos beat the Bengals 40-0, and then the Broncos and Bengals all finished at 10-6, but the Chiefs went 11-5 only to lose the division to the Chargers. The wild-card teams would be the Chiefs and Bengals, even though Denver whipped the Bengals head to head!

Can you imagine the fans reaction? "Why Don't we have the tie-breaker? We beat them right?" :laugh:

I don't think the divisional tie break would apply, as in your hypothosis the Chiefs are 11-5, and the Broncos 10-6. The divisional tie-break is only used as the first tie-break when the two divisional sides have the same record. So with your scenario, the Chiefs would be #5 seed, Denver getting the #6 seed on head to head against the Bengals.

NFL Tiebreak Procedures (http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakers)

Zanders76
12-31-2006, 01:39 PM
According to the standings: KC loss Denver is in. KC win and Denver loss Denver is out. Also assuming Jets win in Oakland.

chi3fs
12-31-2006, 06:40 PM
If the Chiefs win and we lose, we're out. no matter of the outcome of the jets game.

:cheers: :D :rockon: