PDA

View Full Version : Goofed up playoff seeding system?

Breezer
12-31-2006, 07:00 PM
The Chiefs beat out the Broncos for a playoff spot because of a better division record. How ever, Denver was much better verses the conference (8-4 compared to the Chiefs 5-7). Denver and Kansas City are both 9-7 and are 1-1 verses each other this season. I think the conference record should play a higher roll in the playoff seeding. Denver won 3 more conference games than the Cheifs, but the Chiefs get to go to the playoffs? This does not seem right. What do you think?

BSmitty7
12-31-2006, 07:01 PM
lets not stoop down to the level of the KC Chiefs owner calling for 8 teams per playoff conference because he never got in....

chi3fs
:D :rockon: :salute:

Broncos72690
The Chiefs beat out the Broncos for a playoff spot because of a better division record. How ever, Denver was much better verses the conference (8-4 compared to the Chiefs 5-7). Denver and Kansas City are both 9-7 and are 1-1 verses each other this season. I think the conference record should play a higher roll in the playoff seeding. Denver won 3 more conference games than the Cheifs, but the Chiefs get to go to the playoffs? This does not seem right. What do you think?

I was thinking the same thing.

chi3fs
lets not stoop down to the level of the KC Chiefs owner calling for 8 teams per playoff conference because he never got in....

that was Carl Peterson, Not Lamar Hunt, suckah. :coffee:

David110
12-31-2006, 07:07 PM
How do you think they decided division standings??? Division games mean more. Don't cry because you guys couldn't handle your own business at home.

Frick49ers
12-31-2006, 07:08 PM
nope i disagree with that conference should only come after your division. Or else whats the point of even having a division to start with u would just have the NFC and the AFC conference and no such thing as win your division and The description your giving is more of a Fantasy football base and thats why its fantasy football :) What you should have done was not take the niners so Lightly at your own home.

I am not here to hate as i was hopin for a good game that yall would come out on top for the only reason being my mom is a broncos fan. But what can i say Broncos obviously didnt want it so now KC gets to go Rock INdy instead.

hilife
12-31-2006, 07:10 PM

I'm fine with the setup. It makes the Divison games and rivalries more important.

Denver Native
12-31-2006, 07:10 PM

I found this on the internet. From this, please someone explain KC over Denver.

Current playoff system
The tournament brackets are made up of six teams from each of the league's two conferences, the American Football Conference (AFC) and the National Football Conference (NFC), following the end of the 16-game regular season. As of 2002, the league aligned the teams under each conference into 4 divisions. Qualification into the playoffs are as follows:

The four division champions from each conference (the team in each division with the best regular season won-lost-tied record), which are seeded 1 through 4 based on their regular season won-lost-tied record.
Two wild card qualifiers (those non-division champions with the conference's best winning percentages), which are seeded 5 and 6.

DEN_BOWL_06
12-31-2006, 07:12 PM
i don't have any problem with the system..

we need to care of our business..and we failed..

there is no excuse for that..

Chiefs certainly deserved it as they took care of JAX by beating them..

broncsx3
12-31-2006, 07:12 PM
Yea, I think when it comes to Wild Card your CONFERENCE record should be more important. When it comes to winning a Division, your DIVISION record should matter more. No idea why they use division record to decide wild card.

David110
12-31-2006, 07:18 PM
So you should say a 3rd place Bronco team should go to the playoffs over a 2nd place Chiefs team??? Please explain.

broncsx3
12-31-2006, 07:21 PM
So you should say a 3rd place Bronco team should go to the playoffs over a 2nd place Chiefs team??? Please explain.

I'm saying that when you are deciding a tie-breaker for a wild card spot in the AFC Playoffs, the team that has played better in the AFC should get higher priority over a team that has played better in the AFC West. I think that makes more sense, and is going to put the team with the better chance to win an AFC playoff into the post-season more often then not.

David110
12-31-2006, 07:23 PM
Well, write a letter to the NFL Competition Committe

broncsx3
12-31-2006, 07:24 PM
Well, write a letter to the NFL Competition Committe
yea, I'll get right on that

MNBroncosFan
12-31-2006, 07:25 PM
Does it really matter? We would have been embarrased next week. Might as well get out now. KC is going to get embarrased as well and no way do the Jets beat New England. Let's face it, the top 4 teams in the AFC are in a league of their own. No wildcard will advance beyond the 1st round this year in the AFC. MARK MY WORD on this!

Frick49ers
12-31-2006, 07:26 PM

EXACTLY no way a 3rd place team should be ahead of the 2nd place. Just face it missed opportunity look forward to next year.

chiefs088
12-31-2006, 08:01 PM

QQ Much? Hahaha

DevilSpawn
12-31-2006, 08:06 PM

This is funny, considering the timing. :clap:

Say you're a former Soviet state and you want to rule the planet. First, you have to defeat the other former states that surround you. (AFC West) Then you go after Russia themselves (conference, most likely Indianapolis) Then the rest of Eurasia, Africa, South America, North America, then the Superbowl.

Your system eliminates the entire reason why they have divisions in the first place. In your system, there should be 16 team conferences and not 4 division conferences. It also eliminates the importance of rivalries. Take care of those you face 2xs a year, then everybody else.

ckstorm182000
12-31-2006, 08:08 PM
regardless denver doesn't deserve to be in the playoffs.

Maymoon
12-31-2006, 08:49 PM
It is what it is.

Breezer
12-31-2006, 08:53 PM
regardless denver doesn't deserve to be in the playoffs.

and the Chiefs do? That team sucks!

ClevelandBronco
12-31-2006, 08:57 PM

I think if the Broncos had the stones to take a home game against an inferior opponent today, it wouldn't matter.

ckstorm182000
12-31-2006, 08:57 PM
If anyone deserves a playoff spot its Tennessee.

Its sad when the AFC has the worse 5 seed over the NFC. The Jets are the least deserving team to get in.

Bwelte01
12-31-2006, 09:00 PM
Its a good point that you brought up...but with that being said we cannot complain because we controlled our own fate today and couldnt pull it out. We didnt deserve the a playoff spot.

Morambar
12-31-2006, 10:12 PM
Regardless of the fact that it's (apparently) a Chiefs fan saying it and is screws us and helps them. A 2nd place division team shouldn't lose out to a 3rd place team from the same division. Which is why the tiebreak system is the way it is. What I object to is the fact that if the Jets had lost, the Titans won etc. there'd have been a ton of 9-7 teams, all of whom had worse Conference records than our 8-4, but we still wouldn't have gone because the Chiefs Conference record was too crappy to beat anyone but Tennessee (which is why a Jets loss couldn't help us. ) So even among non-divisional teams the tie break goes

Step 1: eliminate Denver because KC's ahead.

Step 2: eliminate Tennessee, then KC because they're Conference records are so awful.

I don't disagree with KC going ahead of us if we both have the same record, because they're ahead in the Division, but I DO disagree with having every other team go ahead of us because KC has a better Division record, even though we have a far better Conference record than any other bubble team. Basically, as things stand our Conference record and everything else doesn't mean squat; the only way we could go with a loss and a KC win is if KC's the #5 seed. And to that I object most strenuously.

chi3fs
12-31-2006, 10:19 PM
Face it, you all HATE that you helped the Chiefs do ANYTHING... let alone, get into the playoffs.

heh.

LoyalSoldier
12-31-2006, 10:23 PM
When determining who wins out for a division champ then division record should count, but not for the wildcard. Any other team doesn't have to deal with that.

You are trying to see who was better in the conference and not who beat the Raiders more times.

KCLadyFan
12-31-2006, 10:33 PM

We didn't today....

12and4
12-31-2006, 10:38 PM
umm... what a bad thread.... i think its fair. if we are less in div games, and we are in their div, we should be under them

KCLadyFan
12-31-2006, 10:42 PM

Denver had as much of a chance today to be in the playoffs, both teams held their
play off chances in their own hands today...I am sorry but I disagree with this...
it could of well been Cincy instead of KC going but between these 3 teams KC is the only one that took care of business...

NameUsedBefore
12-31-2006, 10:46 PM
I've always thought it was stupid for the wild cards to be decided by the division records when the race for the wild card is a conference-wide competition. Oh well, I doubt this will be changed ever even though it actually is a little more logical.

rcsodak
12-31-2006, 11:00 PM
Does it really matter? We would have been embarrased next week. Might as well get out now. KC is going to get embarrased as well and no way do the Jets beat New England. Let's face it, the top 4 teams in the AFC are in a league of their own. No wildcard will advance beyond the 1st round this year in the AFC. MARK MY WORD on this!
Turn off your homerism.......

KC's run game is legit!
KC's run defense is legit!

I'd give KC more of a chance to win in the playoffs than I would the broncos........

...especially after seeing the team lay a King Kong sized egg out there today.

It was quite the movie......9'ers versus the Walking Zombies II

12and4
12-31-2006, 11:05 PM
I've always thought it was stupid for the wild cards to be decided by the division records when the race for the wild card is a conference-wide competition. Oh well, I doubt this will be changed ever even though it actually is a little more logical.
its only based on division when the two teams are in the same division. or else its by conf. so the reason we are under kc is that we have a worse div record then them, even though we have a better conf record.

redrage
12-31-2006, 11:39 PM
Are you saying its stupid because it eliminated you from the playoffs.........Here is another way to look at it. When you were in the thick of things weeks ago, you switched QB's............Maybe that cost you too........We took care of business and got help from the 2 other teams.....Don't cry because it didnt benefit you. If the shoes was on the other foot and other scenarios played out, you would be asking for a revamp of the system

And I see some teams counting us out. Indy has not been playing well as of late and especially no name RB's having career games.............It could mark for a long day if LJ gets untracked

semperfi
12-31-2006, 11:56 PM
If anyone deserves a playoff spot its Tennessee.

Its sad when the AFC has the worse 5 seed over the NFC. The Jets are the least deserving team to get in.

Huh? Titans finished 8-8, Jets finished 10-6. How are the Titans superior.
This thread is just sour grapes.....nobody thinks about tiebreakers until it costs them the playoffs.

WestFan
01-01-2007, 02:21 AM
Are you saying its stupid because it eliminated you from the playoffs.........Here is another way to look at it. When you were in the thick of things weeks ago, you switched QB's............Maybe that cost you too........We took care of business and got help from the 2 other teams.....Don't cry because it didnt benefit you. If the shoes was on the other foot and other scenarios played out, you would be asking for a revamp of the system

And I see some teams counting us out. Indy has not been playing well as of late and especially no name RB's having career games.............It could mark for a long day if LJ gets untracked

Yeah, you could say that the decision to start Cutler over Plummer cost the Broncos two home games this season, those being the loss to Seattle and this loss versus the 49ers.

I think that Denver would have lost to San Diego anyway with Plummer, and would still have beaten Arizona with Jake.

So, instead of 9-7, the Broncos would be 11-5 and in the playoffs as the #5 seed, going to New England.

Nomad Broncofan
01-01-2007, 04:18 AM
[QUOTE=hilife]I'm fine with the setup. It makes the Divison games and rivalries more important.[/QUOTE

I am too fine with the system. Denver shouldn't get swept by any team in their division especially at home.

_BrusT_
01-01-2007, 06:22 AM
You can argue about the impact of the Conference record over the Division record, but I like them as they are. I'd rather seed a better record over a divison winners worse record.

redrage
01-01-2007, 06:37 AM
Cutler will be better in th elong run anyways. Maybe Shanny was looking at it that way. I just found it strange at that point

GridironChamp
01-01-2007, 10:56 AM
Im still waiting for these Denver fans to answer this question with a since of logical
thinking...

How would you put a team that finished 3rd in thier division over a team that finished
2nd in the SAME DIVISION.

Answer that question actually making arguement against it, and i will agree...
Although your wrong, you keep saying Denver has 3 more wins in the conference,
well KC has more wins in the divison... Also Denver has more losses to the NFC,
the less powerful conference yet Denver lost more games to them...

Even with all that said, if you can answer the above question making a since
without trying to change the rules, i will agreee.

Vengeance
01-01-2007, 11:12 AM
I get that KC had a better rocord in the division and Im a true Denver fan. But in all the years ive never seen a it come down to one division for the final berth.

Well one thing makes no sense to me is the NFC berths were givin to the teams with the best record in the NFC games why was the AFC berth based on Divisions IF the AFC was berths were given based on how many games were won by the teams in the AFC alone Denver would be in Not Kansas City This boggles my mind.

Oh well guess cant help thinking that this year could be anybodies year there are strong teams out there but it only takes one loss to be out in the playoffs.

Cheers to all and Happy New Year!!!

GridironChamp
01-01-2007, 11:54 AM
I get that KC had a better rocord in the division and Im a true Denver fan. But in all the years ive never seen a it come down to one division for the final berth.

Well one thing makes no sense to me is the NFC berths were givin to the teams with the best record in the NFC games why was the AFC berth based on Divisions IF the AFC was berths were given based on how many games were won by the teams in the AFC alone Denver would be in Not Kansas City This boggles my mind.

Oh well guess cant help thinking that this year could be anybodies year there are strong teams out there but it only takes one loss to be out in the playoffs.

Cheers to all and Happy New Year!!!

Im sure it has to do with Denver finishing third in the AFCW and the Chiefs
finishing second in the AFCW. It would completely destroy football if you put a team
that finished 3rd in the divison in the playoffs ahead of a team that finished second. It would ruin divisions and make them pointless.

DevilSpawn
01-01-2007, 12:06 PM
:huh: Serious question, how long have you watched football? It happens a ton and the scenario is always expressed when the race is tight.

That's because no team in the same division in the NFC had the same divisional record. If they did, then that scenario would come into play. Since it didn't, they used conference records.

I am sure if the situation were reversed and Gridiron complained, you'd wonder where he was coming from since the Chiefs had a worse record in their OWN division than the Broncos. Now you see where we're coming from?

Fat Joe
01-02-2007, 02:15 PM
I'm fine with the setup. It makes the Divison games and rivalries more important.

Absolutley. Divison games should weigh much heavier then conference games, I like the way it is now, it didnt work out for us this year, no need to complain about it. Had we taken care of buisness we woudlnt even be having this conversation.

Medford Bronco
01-02-2007, 02:26 PM
Denver had as much of a chance today to be in the playoffs, both teams held their
play off chances in their own hands today...I am sorry but I disagree with this...
it could of well been Cincy instead of KC going but between these 3 teams KC is the only one that took care of business...

KC earned their way in. We (denver) did not. Plain and simple.

KClady good luck vs the Colts :salute: You know I am pulling for you ;)

KCLadyFan
01-02-2007, 02:38 PM
KC earned their way in. We (denver) did not. Plain and simple.

KClady good luck vs the Colts :salute: You know I am pulling for you ;)

Thanks Med...always a classy fan....appreciate it!!!!

Medford Bronco
01-02-2007, 02:39 PM
Thanks Med...always a classy fan....appreciate it!!!!

Now LJ better be ready. 250 yards against that pathetic run defense is not out of the question. :salute:

Then it will be KC and SD. Guaranteeing and AFC West team in the Championship game. :D

Chicago-Broncofreak
01-03-2007, 12:11 AM
Now LJ better be ready. 250 yards against that pathetic run defense is not out of the question. :salute:

Then it will be KC and SD. Guaranteeing and AFC West team in the Championship game. :D
Call me a sore loser, but I refuse to root for any other AFC west team. The NFL told me to root for the eagles based on my 5 answers... :rolleyes:

lsfii2
01-03-2007, 12:17 AM
Those were the rules and we knew them all along. We just had to win off the start.

SkyFlash1
01-03-2007, 09:18 AM

Word......

VADER72
01-03-2007, 10:34 AM
Honestly, I'm glad our team isn't in the playoffs. They need to focus on other things right now that are larger than football. As a Bronco fan, GO KC and SD. Make the AFCW proud.

RBDynasty
01-03-2007, 01:14 PM
The Chiefs beat out the Broncos for a playoff spot because of a better division record. How ever, Denver was much better verses the conference (8-4 compared to the Chiefs 5-7). Denver and Kansas City are both 9-7 and are 1-1 verses each other this season. I think the conference record should play a higher roll in the playoff seeding. Denver won 3 more conference games than the Cheifs, but the Chiefs get to go to the playoffs? This does not seem right. What do you think?We lost to the 49ers at home. We don't deserve to play in the playoffs. The Chiefs plowed over the Jags and they earned that spot.