• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ECBronco
    Bench Warmer
    • Jul 2006

Tony Hunt (Penn State RB)

I just wanted to get some feedback about this guy. I've only seem him a couple times this year (vs. Notre Dame and vs. Ohio State), but he looked pretty good in those games.

For this year, he has 1386 yards (5 ypc) and 10 TDs rushing. He also had 259 yards receiving and 3 TDs, so he can catch the ball out of the backfield.

He had big games against Ohio State (135 yards) and Tennessee in their bowl game (158 yds), so he has proved himself against good competition.

He seems like more of a power back, but I think the Broncos could use a grinder to complement the other backs.

Does anyone else like this guy? Would he be around for the Broncos in the 3rd round?
    R.I.P. Darrent Williams
  • ECBronco
    Bench Warmer
    • Jul 2006

Here is Tony Hunt's draft profile:

Strengths: Possesses good size, is at best when gets 20+ carries and can wear defenses down over the course of a game. Has excellent lower body strength, keeps legs driving after making contact and excels at picking up yards after contact. Shows adequate top-end speed in the open field and flashes the ability to break the long run when gets a seam. Shows good focus while the ball is in the air, rarely drops passes that should catch and can produce after the catch. Is coming off a strong junior season and should only continue to get better with added experience.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal lateral mobility and doesn't show great elusiveness in the open field. Doesn't always read blocks well and is still somewhat inconsistent. While has shown the ability to carry a heavy workload and durability isn't a substantial concern at this point, missed most of the Orange Bowl because of an ankle injury.

Overall: Hunt played in 10 games as a true freshman and carried 34 times for 110 yards and one touchdown and caught two passes for zero yards. In 2004, Hunt played in all 11 games and made nine starts. He finished the year with 169 carries for 777 yards (4.6 average) and seven touchdowns, and caught 39 passes for 334 yards. Hunt again played in all of Penn State's games in 2005 (12), starting 11 contests. He complied 1,047 yards rushing on 174 carries while averaging six yards per carry, scored six touchdowns, and caught 20 passes for 206 yards.

Hunt is a power back with good speed so he is capable of developing into an every-down back. His draft stock should continue to rise as long as his instincts improve and he becomes more consistent during his senior season.
    R.I.P. Darrent Williams

Comment

• BigJuan
      Practice Squad
      • Jul 2006

i havent seen him much either but i heard in a interview that JoePa said he was the best back that he has ever had in his offense so thats a pretty good sign i would be ok with trying to get him in the second

Comment

• ECBronco
        Bench Warmer
        • Jul 2006

Originally posted by BigJuan
        i havent seen him much either but i heard in a interview that JoePa said he was the best back that he has ever had in his offense so thats a pretty good sign i would be ok with trying to get him in the second
        With Peterson and Lynch declaring, I think we might be able to get him with one of our 3rd round picks.

I just looked at a few mocks, and they are projecting him as a mid-round pick (4th or 5th round).

Maybe there are just so few teams that are actually looking to draft a running back that high. I read there was something like 23 backs that ran for 1,000 yards in the NFL this year.
        R.I.P. Darrent Williams

Comment

• MindField
          Banned User
          • Nov 2005

It's Funny

Originally posted by ECBronco
          I just wanted to get some feedback about this guy. I've only seem him a couple times this year (vs. Notre Dame and vs. Ohio State), but he looked pretty good in those games.

For this year, he has 1386 yards (5 ypc) and 10 TDs rushing. He also had 259 yards receiving and 3 TDs, so he can catch the ball out of the backfield.

He had big games against Ohio State (135 yards) and Tennessee in their bowl game (158 yds), so he has proved himself against good competition.

He seems like more of a power back, but I think the Broncos could use a grinder to complement the other backs.

Does anyone else like this guy? Would he be around for the Broncos in the 3rd round?
          My only response is that I watched two Penn St. games this year, and the commentators said that PSU was at a disadvantage against Michigan, for example, because they could not run the ball consistently....so Hunt was not exactly respected by the people who cover the College games...take that for what it's worth, but I don't remember him being anything special.

I have the distinct impression that the Broncos will either Draft Marshawn Lynch in the first, or Auburn's Kenny Irons in the second...

Comment

• ECBronco
            Bench Warmer
            • Jul 2006

Originally posted by MindField
            My only response is that I watched two Penn St. games this year, and the commentators said that PSU was at a disadvantage against Michigan, for example, because they could not run the ball consistently....so Hunt was not exactly respected by the people who cover the College games...take that for what it's worth, but I don't remember him being anything special.

I have the distinct impression that the Broncos will either Draft Marshawn Lynch in the first, or Auburn's Kenny Irons in the second...
            Thanks for the feedback. He did have a bad game against Michigan this year, but in 2005 he had 102 yards AT Michigan on only 14 carries! Not bad.

I'm a big fan of Lynch, but I don't think we'll move up to get him. I'm not a huge fan of Irons.
            R.I.P. Darrent Williams

Comment

• MindField
              Banned User
              • Nov 2005

Yeah

Thanks for the feedback. He did have a bad game against Michigan this year, but in 2005 he had 102 yards AT Michigan on only 14 carries! Not bad.

I'm a big fan of Lynch, but I don't think we'll move up to get him. I'm not a huge fan of Irons.

Well, Lynch is a mystery....as I have said, I have a hard time beliving he will grade out higher than Laurence Maroney did, but maybe there will be a greater need for RB's this year.

I aslo like Kenny Irons alot, but not as a first rounder. However, if we were to get him as a second rounder, it would be like stealing. The ONLY question about this kid is his ability to stay healthy..but sometimes guys get to the NFL , and learn how to develop their bodies and solve that issue...but just in terms of pure talent, Irons would be a dynamic runner, specially in our Offense. He has superior instincts, and eliete quickness, particularly in the first 10- 15 yards, so he can get through a hole like a rocket...so I am on board with Irons if he comes with a second round pick, but nothing higher than that.

As far as Hunt goes, I didn't see enough to comment on him, I just relayed what I remembered the announcers saying.

I also like BYU's Curtis Brown. He played in a Pro style Offense at BYU, and proved he was versatile and could catch passes, and he is said to be a smart kid, and was a good blocker....we'll see how his offseason workouts go.

Comment

• silkamilkamonic
                Sir-Nasty!
                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by MindField

After the combine is over, there is no way Irons slips to the second. He will be possibly even grade out better then Lynch, IMHO.

Comment

• Ncfootball
                  Practice Squad
                  • Jan 2006

Coming into Penn State as a Freshman, Tony Hunt was an afterthought for the tailback position. We had signed a much more highly touted recruit in Austin Scott. However, going into their sophomore seasons, Tony was given the starting job because he was the one out of the two who would learn how to block. I have also heard JoePa say that Hunt is possibly the most talented back to come out of Penn State. Although he did not have the spectacular senior season like Larry Johnson did a few years back where he had 5 or 6 200 yard games and a 2000 yard season, Tony Hunt has been a very solid back for us who was a good team player. He's definitely a north-south runner in the mold of LJ who will hit the holes hard and keep going. He does have a little speed, but for the most part, he is a bigger power back. I absolutely love the thought of having Tony Hunt in the backfield, and I really hope that it comes a reality with one of our third round picks.
                  I'm officially eating crow. I support McDaniels.

Wishing for Jared Odrick in 2009.

sigpic

Comment

• Jared
                    Retired Mod
                    • Aug 2003

Hunt can be a solid pro.

He is not flashy, but plays smart and hard.

His more talented understudy, Austin Scott, has more intangibles (speeds, size, mobility, etc). but is a shoddy blocker.

Both will probably be on NFL rosters this spring.

Hunt would do ok in the Denver one cut system. Very similar to Mike Anderson.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
                    You should check these guys out

Comment

• ECBronco
                      Bench Warmer
                      • Jul 2006

Well, Tony Hunt seems like an intriguing prospect for the 3rd round. I think it would be a good mix if they brought him in to compete with Tatum and Mike Bell. Denver definitely missed not having a reliable power runner last year.
                      R.I.P. Darrent Williams

Comment

• DancingHorsey
                        Starter
                        • Oct 2006

Based on the scouting report, he definitely sounds like our kind of guy.
                        Only fools bet against Tim Tebow.

Team Tebow #108

Yards, without points, mean nothing.

Comment

• WABronco
                          I'M driving the bandwagon
                          • Mar 2005

I'd probably take Hunt over any other Senior back...definitely over Irons.

Comment

• ECBronco
                            Bench Warmer
                            • Jul 2006

Originally posted by WABronco
                            I'd probably take Hunt over any other Senior back...definitely over Irons.
                            Nice. I agree about Irons.

Do you think there is a legitimate chance of the Broncos using one of their 3rd round picks on him?
                            R.I.P. Darrent Williams

Comment

• WABronco
                              I'M driving the bandwagon
                              • Mar 2005

Nice. I agree about Irons.

Do you think there is a legitimate chance of the Broncos using one of their 3rd round picks on him?
                              Sure...why not? He's a legit banger...we don't have anyone like that now.

Unless he times poorly though, I bet he goes higher than 70th overall (our first third).

Comment

Working...
                              X