PDA

View Full Version : Are the Patriots overrated or just media darlings?

Passepartout
01-08-2007, 06:26 PM
Patriots seemed to be either overrated
Or just media darlings. That every newspaper
Seems biased towards them, especially the people
Like Vic Carucci at NFL.com. He seems to love them.
If you read his columns.

champbronc2
01-08-2007, 06:29 PM
If you read his columns.
Both the Patriots are average... :coffee:

They play in a sissy division.

Lorcust
01-08-2007, 06:33 PM
They are overrated and they are media darlings.

But they are not a bad team. They are a quality team, superbowl calibur even, but I do not believe that they are better than the Ravens, Chargers, Saints or Eagles.

The 5th best team in the league this year, IMO.

pipes
01-08-2007, 07:37 PM
Are the Patriots overrated or just media darlings?

YES!!!

Not since the 90's Cowboys who had John Madden in a full-time orgasm about their fat-a$$ offensive linemen's butt sweat have I had to hear so many analysts cream in their pants over a team, a coach, and especially...a player. (Tom Brady)

Tom Brady ran for a twelve yard gain last weekend and Phil Simms (who I usually like) almost tore his shirt off and threw his panties at Tom!.....it was twelve frieking yards Phil!!!

Passepartout
01-08-2007, 09:08 PM
A great team in a lousy division
But again with the exception of people in Boston
The nation won't embrace them in the SB because
They have won three times and going there a fourth time
Will make me want to puke. :sad:

assassin216
01-08-2007, 10:38 PM
how can yall say the patriots are over-rated when they won 3 superbowls in the free agency era.......that is very hard to accomplish.....i disagree how they treat there veteran players but come on now.....they won 3 freakin superbowls

Passepartout
01-08-2007, 11:38 PM
That is hard to accomplish but still
The media treats them like they will win
Each and every game playoffs, pre-season, or
Regular season. So yes they blow the Pats
Way, way, out of proportion!

NJBRONCOSFAN
01-09-2007, 12:53 PM
I think the better question are the majority of people who've posted in this thread intelligent football fans?

The pats just win. Not sure what else there is to say about it.

Ohio Broncos
01-09-2007, 01:49 PM
how can yall say the patriots are over-rated when they won 3 superbowls in the free agency era.......that is very hard to accomplish.....i disagree how they treat there veteran players but come on now.....they won 3 freakin superbowls

Exactly.

To answer the thread starter, the answer is neither. I don't understand why almost everyone here hates on the Patriots every chance that they can get. They win every year no matter who they let go via free agency.

There are soooooooooooo many other teams to hate that actually deserve it (like the Colts). Why do people want to bang on a team that won 3 Super Bowls in 4 years and has a quarterback that is 11-1 in his career in the playoffs?

I'll never understand it. :coffee:

Passepartout
01-09-2007, 02:57 PM
Well true they find a way to win
But it is like deja vu all over again
They go to the playoffs always the favorites
There hasn't been one time where they were the underdogs
Saying that they play under the radar is balony.

ClaptonFloyd
01-09-2007, 04:07 PM
That is hard to accomplish but still
The media treats them like they will win
Each and every game playoffs, pre-season, or
Regular season. So yes they blow the Pats
Way, way, out of proportion!

I agree. they are a very smart and experienced team, but they have lost so many key players that you just can't say they are a great team still. I'm getting really sick of everyone saying how great they are, and I hope they get killed, too bad it won't be us.

PatsCrowEater
01-09-2007, 05:21 PM
Well true they find a way to win
But it is like deja vu all over again
They go to the playoffs always the favorites
There hasn't been one time where they were the underdogs
Saying that they play under the radar is balony.

I guess you forgot about 2001 when they were 14 point underdogs to the greatest show on turf!

Well, they're facing a great show again this Sunday. They've proved it before, they will prove it again.

RunYouOver
01-09-2007, 07:46 PM
Overrated!

Overrated!

Passepartout
01-10-2007, 02:41 PM
Oh yeah forgot about the Rams-Pats run in 2002. Now I remember but ever since then, the Pats seem to always be favored.

Tailgater
01-11-2007, 11:12 AM
Oh yeah forgot about the Rams-Pats run in 2002. Now I remember but ever since then, the Pats seem to always be favored.

Nope. Even in 2003 & 2004, the Colts were favored to beat the Pats - AT HOME - in the playoffs.

In 2004, the Pats were favored, but then Indy "didn't even have to punt" in their games with Denver and KC, so the odds changed. At kickoff, the Colts were favored by 1 1/2....in the snow....in Foxboro.

I know many of the so-called 'experts' are picking the Pats this weekend. In large part, thats because they've been embarrassed and burned time after time. Add in the teams improved play over the last 4 weeks and the seeming drop in the Chargers performance and i can see why they are.

Myself? I pray for the Pats to win, but this will be there toughest challenge to date....well, since that nasty game in Denver last year...:D

Passepartout
01-14-2007, 12:10 PM
Ravens now are out so either the Chargers or the Colts will win against the Pats as either team needs to play a great game both on offense/defense!

tnedator
01-14-2007, 12:33 PM
Both the Patriots are average... :coffee:

They play in a sissy division.

Called the NFL?

Any time a team wins 3 Super Bowls in 4 years, they are going to get a lot of press coverage for a few years.

Denver knocked them out of the playoffs again, and this afternoon we will see if they can beat the favored Chargers. If they beat them, they will be back in the AFCCG once again.

The patriots are the closest thing you can find to a football dynasty in recent years, they deserve the coverage they get.

Bronco Texan
01-14-2007, 06:38 PM
Hhahahahaha overrated? Nope. Also there is a reason they are media darlings. No matter who they play they keep it real. They win. They win. They win. Hands down they win. Sucks but true. You can't go against the truth. Can you?

Nomad Broncofan
01-14-2007, 06:40 PM
I believe the Patriots are kickarse! Good Luck Colts!

Sonic Raider
01-14-2007, 08:59 PM
The Patriots are the media darlings because of their logo.

During the 2001 playoffs (the same season the September 11 attacks happened), the referees & the NFL made sure the Patriots walked away with a Super Bowl by basically handing the championships to them on a plate. The infamous "Tuck Rule" game (Which I'm STILL angry over) started it all :rolleyes:

All this sucking up by the referes didn't stop, they give Pats calls that weren't supposed to be made & they let them keep the fumble recoveries when it wasn't supposed to happen.

The media also sucks up to New England, I seem to recall a game that Miami *****slapped them so hard earlier this year 21-0 but the media accused Miami of "stealing" footage of the Patriots.

COME ON! If it was the Patriots doing that **** the media would've had yet another orgasm, worshipping Tom Brady & his "Special" team. BULL****! Miami won that game fair & square, it's not illegal to get team footage & hear signals.

The Patriots are the darlings of the NFL & it ****ing pisses me off. I hate the Patriots even more than the Chargers & the Broncos. The Patriots are the scum of the AFC & I hope the Colts wipe the floor with the darlings of the AFC.

Fat Joe
01-15-2007, 12:15 AM
^ I agree with this man. If it had been the Patriots that got that so called footage of the signals and what have ya, everyone would have been praising Bellicheck for being such a genius.

One way or another, Im still pissed about the tuck rule, because this dynasty they have is built on a foundation of bull****. Having watched every single snap, of every new england post season game since 2001, they do get away with murder on a regular basis. 4 playoff games and the offensive line never called for holding? GTFO, holding happens on every play, the reffs chose to look the other way. In those same 4 games(Tennessee, Indy X2, Pittsburg) that overly phyiscal secondary was never onced flagged for illegal contact of pass interference. You've got to be kidding me. The same team that employed Ty Law was never once flagged for interference in the post season......not because it never happend, it happend almost every play in the 2003 AFCCG in New England, they chose not to call it. Consipracy? I try not to buy into such things, but sometimes its kind of hard to believe these games are being called fairly.

BroncoManiac_69
01-15-2007, 06:02 AM
Without reading the thread, I will respond to the "title" of this thread.

The Patriots are a good team. They in fact are a GREAT team. We may hate them. We may dislike them. I know some Patriot fans whined about the refs in Denver last year but this team is good. No mistaken. They had a bad day at Broncos last year and look what they did. They got themselves right back into the AFCC.

SO STOP with these threads. Come on people. Media Darlings? Please. They know how to win big games and have proven that.

Is there some jealousy going on here? :confused:

tnedator
01-15-2007, 06:08 AM
I think you guys have things way off here. Yes, some complain about the tuck rule and how the Patriots beat the Raiders with the tuck rule. Like it or not (I don't) the tuck rule had been in place prior to that game and the ref called the rule correctly. It could easily have gone the other way.

If you want to talk about near criminal activity, look at the Colts. Their president Bill Polian and I believe Dungy are both on the competition committee. Each year, whatever teams do to stop the Colts, Polian takes to the competition committee and has had good success getting them to change NFL rules to suit his team. I have no idea why this guy has so much influence on the committee, but it is obvious that he does.

A few years back, when the Patriots beat them by having their WRs get physical with the Colts WRs, which was the right approach because they Colts WRs were considered to be non-physical players. In the offseason, Polian brought that to the competition committee and all the emphasis (including some wording changes I believe) on illegal contact, holding and PI came into play, which made it virtually impossible for DBs to do their jobs for a couple years until things have slowly started to relax a bit.

The Patriots go out and win football games. They bring in good players (FA and Draft), they get the most out of the players they have, and they have dominated in the salary cap era the way no other team has.

BroncoManiac_69
01-15-2007, 06:14 AM
I think you guys have things way off here. Yes, some complain about the tuck rule and how the Patriots beat the Raiders with the tuck rule. Like it or not (I don't) the tuck rule had been in place prior to that game and the ref called the rule correctly. It could easily have gone the other way.

If you want to talk about near criminal activity, look at the Colts. Their president Bill Polian and I believe Dungy are both on the competition committee. Each year, whatever teams do to stop the Colts, Polian takes to the competition committee and has had good success getting them to change NFL rules to suit his team. I have no idea why this guy has so much influence on the committee, but it is obvious that he does.

A few years back, when the Patriots beat them by having their WRs get physical with the Colts WRs, which was the right approach because they Colts WRs were considered to be non-physical players. In the offseason, Polian brought that to the competition committee and all the emphasis (including some wording changes I believe) on illegal contact, holding and PI came into play, which made it virtually impossible for DBs to do their jobs for a couple years until things have slowly started to relax a bit.

The Patriots go out and win football games. They bring in good players (FA and Draft), they get the most out of the players they have, and they have dominated in the salary cap era the way no other team has.

XCellent post.

_BrusT_
01-15-2007, 11:19 AM
Their ways of winning made me love them too, since they beat the Raiders back in 02. In all this years now, they just made themselves a name. If a team is successfull over a period of time half of them either loves them or hate them, that is a part of being successfull.

champ24bailey#1
01-20-2007, 09:46 AM
Exactly.

To answer the thread starter, the answer is neither. I don't understand why almost everyone here hates on the Patriots every chance that they can get. They win every year no matter who they let go via free agency.

There are soooooooooooo many other teams to hate that actually deserve it (like the Colts). Why do people want to bang on a team that won 3 Super Bowls in 4 years and has a quarterback that is 11-1 in his career in the playoffs?

Very Agreed. If i needed a quarterback at a time where it was important, I would definitely take Tom Brady. Peyton is more fun to pick on anyways.

Corndog
01-20-2007, 04:36 PM
Exactly.

I agree,but it's just natural to hate a winner.I certainly agree on your choice with the Colts,who I feel are the real media favorites.They ALL want their Superstar Manning to win a Superbowl.The Pats really confuse me.They are able to consistently win with less talent.They have a great coach,and a clutch QB,but their defense is where they really shine.Those guys play way over their abilities year after year in my opinion.I guess thats part of coaching also.I periodically check out Pats Boards,and our organization is the most respected by the Pats fans.There were VERY happy not to play us in the Playoffs.I think that's cool.

Passepartout
01-20-2007, 09:34 PM
The Pats have become like the Cowboys of
The seventies like the team you love to hate or
Hate to love as they always manage to go to the
SB everytime, all the time about
And it makes people really not caring about the SB.
Puts a damper on things.

WABronco
01-20-2007, 10:21 PM
All I care about is that we beat their ass every time we play 'em...

YEA!

Southstander
01-20-2007, 10:31 PM
That is a false delema, neither answer is correct. You can't be overrated if you win 3 SB in 5 years.

tnedator
01-21-2007, 12:45 AM
That is a false delema, neither answer is correct. You can't be overrated if you win 3 SB in 5 years.

Exactly. This is the key point.

stnzed
01-21-2007, 01:46 AM
If you read his columns.

They are the best team of our time.

As good as you are afraid the Patriots are.....They are!

Don't fight it people....They are special!

Even if they lose they are special!

Sonic Raider
01-28-2007, 09:13 PM
this dynasty they have is built on a foundation of bull****. Having watched every single snap, of every new england post season game since 2001, they do get away with murder on a regular basis. 4 playoff games and the offensive line never called for holding? GTFO, holding happens on every play, the reffs chose to look the other way. In those same 4 games(Tennessee, Indy X2, Pittsburg) that overly phyiscal secondary was never onced flagged for illegal contact of pass interference. You've got to be kidding me. The same team that employed Ty Law was never once flagged for interference in the post season......not because it never happend, it happend almost every play in the 2003 AFCCG in New England, they chose not to call it. Consipracy? I try not to buy into such things, but sometimes its kind of hard to believe these games are being called fairly.

Yep, the proof is all there.

Seriously, the NFL needs to stop making rules that benefit ONE team in particular & just have an absolute, EVEN level playing field. No politics from the competition committee, no biased officiating, none of that bullsh*t.

It isn't fair to the rest of the teams working their balls off to win a Super Bowl. If I was a member of the NFL in any form, I'd recommend that EVERY team needs to be on a level playing field with no officials from any team trying to get the NFL to make rules & officiate games their way.

str8jacket
01-29-2007, 10:54 AM
The Patriots are the media darlings because of their logo.

During the 2001 playoffs (the same season the September 11 attacks happened), the referees & the NFL made sure the Patriots walked away with a Super Bowl by basically handing the championships to them on a plate. The infamous "Tuck Rule" game (Which I'm STILL angry over) started it all :rolleyes:

All this sucking up by the referes didn't stop, they give Pats calls that weren't supposed to be made & they let them keep the fumble recoveries when it wasn't supposed to happen.

The media also sucks up to New England, I seem to recall a game that Miami *****slapped them so hard earlier this year 21-0 but the media accused Miami of "stealing" footage of the Patriots.

COME ON! If it was the Patriots doing that **** the media would've had yet another orgasm, worshipping Tom Brady & his "Special" team. BULL****! Miami won that game fair & square, it's not illegal to get team footage & hear signals.

The Patriots are the darlings of the NFL & it ****ing pisses me off. I hate the Patriots even more than the Chargers & the Broncos. The Patriots are the scum of the AFC & I hope the Colts wipe the floor with the darlings of the AFC.
it's a conspiracy i tell you! :laugh: