PDA

View Full Version : Broncos see need for larger linemen

TDMiller2
02-26-2007, 10:51 AM
It was easier for the Broncos to make sense of where their 2006 season went wrong, and how they can fix their roster for 2007.

One solution: The Broncos want to get bigger, especially up front, on both sides of the scrimmage line. Broncos coach Mike Shanahan has said the notion he prefers smaller linemen always has been a fallacy.

"You always want big players," Shanahan said last week. "You just want big guys who can move."

On offense, the Broncos will build around second-year quarterback Jay Cutler by building him a bigger wall. The biggest change, so to speak, will be at right guard, where 302-pound Chris Kuper is expected to replace 295-pound Cooper Carlisle, who is about to enter unrestricted free agency.

The Broncos also could inquire about Cincinnati's Eric Steinbach or San Diego's Kris Dielman, guards widely considered by NFL coaches and executives as the top two prizes in this year's free-agent market.

As for the Broncos' existing line, the return of Matt Lepsis from knee surgery will allow 305-pound Erik Pears to move from left to right tackle, where he will compete with veteran Adam Meadows as a replacement for George Foster, a former first-round draft pick who will be traded or released.

With veteran Tom Nalen entrenched at center, the Broncos' only "undersized" lineman, as defined by a scout's prototype, would be left guard Ben Hamilton. And the Broncos have asked Hamilton to bulk up from his 283-pound playing weight.

On defense, more size up front was deemed necessary after the Broncos seemingly wore down during the second half of their 2006 season, particularly during the second half of games.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_5305804

lancane
02-26-2007, 10:58 AM
That is good to hear, but I have issues with Hamilton, they can hope he is as effective with more weight, but he is already a horrid pass blocker and is much better at run blocking, with more weight he may just end up a worse lineman all around.

I would not mind adding either of the veteran guards or drafting someone like Manny Ramirez from Texas Tech to take over on the left.

Dream
02-26-2007, 10:58 AM
This has been a long time coming. Even Eslinger, is bigger than Nalen right now so we're going in the right direction with Kuper and Greg. Thank you Jesus!

KyLewin
02-26-2007, 11:14 AM
That is good to hear, but I have issues with Hamilton, they can hope he is as effective with more weight, but he is already a horrid pass rusher and is much better at run blocking, with more weight he may just end up a worse lineman all around.

I would not mind adding either of the veteran guards or drafting someone like Manny Ramirez from Texas Tech to take over on the left.

I should hope so since he plays offense!! :cheers:

J/K!

I'm all for bigger line men so long as they can move and work well in zone blocking. Good luck finding them in FA though, hopefully we can find some gems in the draft.

Dream
02-26-2007, 11:29 AM
Some larger lineman I have my eye on. . . just remember Lepsis is like 290 and Pears is 305, which is 15 pounds more than Lepsis. . . so lineman over 300 pounds is "big" here.

Offensive Tackles

Doug Free, OT - 6'6 - 324 - 5.22
James Marten, OT - 6'7 - 309 - 5.08
Tony Ugoh, OT - 6'5 - 305 - 5.01
Gabe Hall, OT - 6'4 - 315 - 4.91

Offensive Guards

Josh Beekman, OG - 6'1 - 313 - 5.39
Justin Blaylock, OG - 6'3 - 320 - 5.10
Manuel Ramirez, OG - 6'3 - 326 - DNR
Ben Grubbs, OG - 6'2 - 311 - 5.20

Expected second to third round guys, outside Blaylock who could go in the first and Gabe Hall who is a borderline Day One prospect.

Archimedes Owl
02-26-2007, 11:47 AM
Shanny has never said that he prizes small size. Why that would just be ludicrous.

People see our smaller line and think that Shanny wanted to find smaller guys, but that's just ridiculous. Why would he want that?

What Shanny does and has always prized in quickness in linemen. He wanted his linemen to be able to move and to work effectively in a zone blocking scheme.

He prizes quickness first and then power then size.

Anyway, it was natural from the beginning that we were going to be getting bigger linemen. There really aren't many college linemen who have entered the draft in the last few years that weren't bigger linemen than what we had already.

The point is that Shanny has not changed his strategy though. He still prizes quickness in linemen more than size. And so we will still be one of the smaller lines in the league even if our future linemen will be bigger than our past linemen.

I'm sure that he would also love to have more large linemen that were also quick, but if he went after such linemen, he'd have to draft them much earlier than he is. He realizes that he can get quick guys with smaller stature in later rounds who can fit into the scheme well. And he has drafted several linemen that fit this description in the last several drafts. Now they are taking over for guys leaving in free agency shouldn't come as a huge surprise.

Also, notice, George Foster is a pretty darn big lineman. And he's leaving now. In that regard, we're actually getting smaller.

marcus_miller
02-26-2007, 11:56 AM
:clap: :dance: :clap: :dance:

Gulbrand
02-26-2007, 12:12 PM
I like the idea of promoting Cutler as a pocket passer. I think that also promotes more emphasis on the inside running game, hence Shanahan's early comments about "bigger backs". Guys like Chris Henry and other 230 pound speedy RBs would make a difference in that sort of game. Sounds like the O scheme is going to change, and maybe more like what they had with Elway. Not bad at all, and would be more unpredictable.

I also think that Cutler's strengths would be most viable in that sort of scheme, and he is likely to be successful at it. The TE is a major player in that game, so Scheff will have to step up and learn to block better as well as run his patterns.

I look forward to the new O next summer and Fall.

As to the D, I don't think there needs to be a change from the drafting plan: Dline, Dline, RB, Dline.

S in FA.

lancane
02-26-2007, 12:32 PM
I should hope so since he plays offense!! :cheers:

J/K!

I'm all for bigger line men so long as they can move and work well in zone blocking. Good luck finding them in FA though, hopefully we can find some gems in the draft.

LMAO...I fixed it! ;)

Well I really am big on Manny Ramirez from Texas Tech and Chase Johnson from Wyoming, I would be happy if we got either of those two for the future of our line.
:rockon:

NickTranOwnz
02-26-2007, 12:33 PM
That's pretty good to hear that they see this problem.

But I think we should also have bigger D-linemen, especially DTs.

Dumervil could get bigger too.

marcus_miller
02-26-2007, 12:40 PM
Mike Otto LT, Purdue.... known for pass protection in a pass first offense...quick off the snap and that will help in zone blocking... will fall to mid to late 3rd round..

James Marten LT, Boston College... Played LT, RT, LG so he is versitle but excelled at LT... will fall to late 3rd round....

Ryan Harris LT Notre Dame.... Charlie Weis and blocked for Quinn.... will fall mid to late 3rd

kupesdad
02-26-2007, 01:02 PM
LMAO...I fixed it! ;)

Well I really am big on Manny Ramirez from Texas Tech and Chase Johnson from Wyoming, I would be happy if we got either of those two for the future of our line.
:rockon:

Are you really that big on Ramirez? You never talk about him :D

dogfish
02-26-2007, 01:17 PM

:laugh:

good read. . . . i just hope we get a big fatty DT to line up next to warren. . . .

and dream, i would LOOOOVE to get grubbs. . . . probably has about 0% chance of happening, but it's sure nice to think about. . . . i do like otto as a more realistic possibility at tackle-- which is a bigger need anyways. . . . he's still on the small side, but he's bigger than lepsis-- more importantly, scouts say he plays mean, and i like that. . . it's one of the things i like so much about grubbs-- we need some attitude on the line! i just didn't think this team was physical enough in the trenches this year, and size isn't everything there-- foster's our biggest lineman on either side of the ball, and when does he ever dominate anyone?

i'd be delighted to get deilman or steinbach, but that's a pipe dream with our cap situation. . . .

JRWIZ
02-26-2007, 01:47 PM
That is good to hear, but I have issues with Hamilton, they can hope he is as effective with more weight, but he is already a horrid pass blocker and is much better at run blocking, with more weight he may just end up a worse lineman all around.

Do you not believe that Mikey has known this for year and IF he really believes it they would have had the bulk up in the past?

I think a DP writer took his comment and took it out of context.

Would mikeylove to have 315-350 pound SMART linemen that can zone/cut/run/pass block?

Absolutely, so does every Head coach. They just are not out there. If they are we can't afford them.

BTW everyone is so sure the lepsis is gonna be back his micro-fracture surgery is anything but wildly successful, it tends to be a last ditch effort to continue ones career.

I'd be surprised if he lasts the year and even then may not be at 100%.

Referee
02-26-2007, 01:57 PM
Has anyone thought of going over to Europe, Eastern Europe and finding some of the behemoths over there? Big Polish, Russian, Ukrainian, wherever...

Don't laugh! Who would have thought these big guys would have dominated the heavyweight divisions of Boxing as an example???

Lorcust
02-26-2007, 01:58 PM
Has anyone thought of going over to Europe, Eastern Europe and finding some of the behemoths over there? Big Polish, Russian, Ukrainian, wherever...

Don't laugh! Who would have thought these big guys would have dominated the heavyweight divisions of Boxing as an example???

The Chiefs are already sort of trying that.

Signed some big hombre from Mexico who was a beast in the Mexican Football League.

Keep an eye on that.

WABronco
02-26-2007, 03:01 PM
Regardless of how bigger we want to get, quickness and agility is still paramount.

I'm not sure Manny Ramirez is anywhere near mobile enough. Same with Beekman. Those guys are short-area maulers, and there's really nothing I've seen that indicates ZBS-type ability. To me, guys like Alleman, Frye, and Wrotto (who also can play RT, I believe) are more our style.

There's a multitude of OT's that we could get our hands on in the mid-rounds, though. I count around 6 or 7 that would be nice fits here, and could be had from round 3 down.

Agree?

marcus_miller
02-26-2007, 03:06 PM
Mike Otto LT, Purdue.... known for pass protection in a pass first offense...quick off the snap and that will help in zone blocking... will fall to mid to late 3rd round..

James Marten LT, Boston College... Played LT, RT, LG so he is versitle but excelled at LT... will fall to late 3rd round....

Ryan Harris LT Notre Dame.... Charlie Weis and blocked for Quinn.... will fall mid to late 3rd

from my earlier....i'd like to add that any later and your risking talent and cap or dead space problems in future (if or even better.. when) they get cut

lancane
02-26-2007, 03:07 PM

Well because we usually sign big fullbacks for the offensive line and not powerful big pass protection prospects, he is on my dream mock draft with our first third round pick.

I would love to have a future line that looked like this:

LT - Chase Johnson
LG - Manny Ramirez
C - Chris Myers
RG - Chris Kuper
RT - Erik Pears

That would be awsome and be one of the better lines in my opinion! :D

lancane
02-26-2007, 03:21 PM
Regardless of how bigger we want to get, quickness and agility is still paramount.

I'm not sure Manny Ramirez is anywhere near mobile enough. Same with Beekman. Those guys are short-area maulers, and there's really nothing I've seen that indicates ZBS-type ability. To me, guys like Alleman, Frye, and Wrotto (who also can play RT, I believe) are more our style.

There's a multitude of OT's that we could get our hands on in the mid-rounds, though. I count around 6 or 7 that would be nice fits here, and could be had from round 3 down.

Agree?

In all truths any good pass blocking team has guards that can pull back and are strong enough to keep rushers off their quarterback and keep a sound wall with the center, while your tackles need to be mobile enough to move with rusher or ends and keep the edges of the pocket stable.

Usually you want your pocket to look like this:

0 X 0
X X
0X X X0

As you can see with the lighter lineman, especially guards the interior is much weaker in games with Hamilton and Carlisle, that pressure can overwhelm the guards and tackles if they are too quick to collapse the pocket. The mobility of the guards is less a need then at tackle, a halfback can follow a tackle on the outside or on an inside pull. But a large guard could push the effective of a good lane with a quick tackle to help the back into long runs.

Well it did not turn out like I wanted, but I am sure you see the point! LOL... ;)

Jared
02-26-2007, 03:23 PM
Usually you want your pocket to look like this:

0 X 0
X X
0X X X0

?????????????????????????????????//

lancane
02-26-2007, 03:26 PM
?????????????????????????????????//

LMAO...do not ask me Jared, I tried to show it and it turned out all messed up!

WABronco
02-26-2007, 03:52 PM
Our interior players still have to be mobile enough to get to the second level and seal-off LB's, though. I'm simply saying that our system, at its core, is based upon movement. Pointing out the obvious, I know, but I still doubt that certain players (certain large players) have that ability.

jhns
02-26-2007, 04:24 PM
This article is pretty common sense. Denver has always looked for big linman. They just usually end up with smaller lineman becuase most of the bigger ones don't move well enough for our system. When we need to replace another lineman, it could very well be another smaller guys if they again don't find a bigger guy that can move well. Foster was big for any team at tackle, so it isn't like they have always looked for small lineman. They have just always looked for lineman that can move. They aren't upgrading to bigger lineman because the smaller ones where bad either. They are upgrading to bigger ones because there happened to be a few bigger ones that could move to come out lately.

I wouldn't be expecting us to change what we look for in o-lineman until we change the way our o-line blocks though.

redsandcowboy
02-26-2007, 05:11 PM
I agree we need to protect our investment in cutler. If this is the only reason it would be worth it but it is not.

broncolee
02-26-2007, 06:14 PM
People often think that Shanahan is looking for the smaller offensive linemen because year after year we have the smallest OL in the league. Why is that? It's that way because the smaller guys are mostly the ones that have the athleticism that he's looking for to utilize his zone blocking scheme. The problem with that is, when we are faced with obvious passing situations, our line isn't big enough or strong enough to pass protect against the big, strong defensive lines. Maybe it's time that Shanahan change his philosophy. Maybe it's time he realizes that big boys can run block too, just ask Emmitt Smith. The Cowboys had one of the biggest offensive lines in the league and produced the career rushing leader. If he's going to continue to insist on using the zone blocking scheme, he better hope that Cutler is the second coming of John Elway, because that's the only way Cutler will be able to compensate for the O-lines deficiencies. Cutler's going to have to seriously improve his mobility. :D

It's great that Shanahan doesn't necessarily look for the smaller offensive linemen. Hopefully he'll be able to find some big guys that can fit the run blocking scheme and also pass protect. But I think maybe we would be better served if he simply tried to get the best offensive linemen available and adjusted the blocking schemes to fit the players. :salute:

TXBRONC
02-26-2007, 06:16 PM

In fairness to Hamilton he's been playing out of position for several years. Technically he's not a bad blocker, the problem is he belongs at center.

JoRo
02-26-2007, 06:29 PM
People often think that Shanahan is looking for the smaller offensive linemen because year after year we have the smallest OL in the league. Why is that? It's that way because the smaller guys are mostly the ones that have the athleticism that he's looking for to utilize his zone blocking scheme. The problem with that is, when we are faced with obvious passing situations, our line isn't big enough or strong enough to pass protect against the big, strong defensive lines. Maybe it's time that Shanahan change his philosophy. Maybe it's time he realizes that big boys can run block too, just ask Emmitt Smith. The Cowboys had one of the biggest offensive lines in the league and produced the career rushing leader. If he's going to continue to insist on using the zone blocking scheme, he better hope that Cutler is the second coming of John Elway, because that's the only way Cutler will be able to compensate for the O-lines deficiencies. Cutler's going to have to seriously improve his mobility. :D

It's great that Shanahan doesn't necessarily look for the smaller offensive linemen. Hopefully he'll be able to find some big guys that can fit the run blocking scheme and also pass protect. But I think maybe we would be better served if he simply tried to get the best offensive linemen available and adjusted the blocking schemes to fit the players. :salute:

Only thing is if we switched to a Cowboys typa scheme for this comin season we would hafta waste a season or two revamping our line.. no way Nalen or some of our other linemen (possibly close to all) would be that good in a man blocking scheme...

JRWIZ
02-26-2007, 06:38 PM
Only thing is if we switched to a Cowboys typa scheme for this comin season we would hafta waste a season or two revamping our line.. no way Nalen or some of our other linemen (possibly close to all) would be that good in a man blocking scheme...

His thought process is good but those good big OLine guys go in the first couple of rounds ans it would take 2-3 years to convert plus then thye are wanted by everyone else and there prices go up.

kupesdad
02-26-2007, 11:34 PM
Well because we usually sign big fullbacks for the offensive line and not powerful big pass protection prospects, he is on my dream mock draft with our first third round pick.

I would love to have a future line that looked like this:

LT - Chase Johnson
LG - Manny Ramirez
C - Chris Myers
RG - Chris Kuper
RT - Erik Pears

That would be awsome and be one of the better lines in my opinion! :D

I was just jerkin your chain :D I was on one of the draft websites today and it seems that some of the NFL scouts were doubting that Johnson is dedicated to the game. Have you heard any of that? I know that it's time for the "experts" to start hating on everyone that until now have been the greatest thing since they made the ball oblong but I hadn't heard this opinion until today. Go figure

lancane
02-27-2007, 06:02 AM
I was just jerkin your chain :D I was on one of the draft websites today and it seems that some of the NFL scouts were doubting that Johnson is dedicated to the game. Have you heard any of that? I know that it's time for the "experts" to start hating on everyone that until now have been the greatest thing since they made the ball oblong but I hadn't heard this opinion until today. Go figure

No problem, and no I have not heard that about Johnson...I have only heard promising praise, so it is news to me. I know Johnson has been a very humble competitor most of his career, but never anything about his desire for the game and if it is true, then I would believe Denver could tell and would not draft him.

There are some other offensive lineman I do like in this draft, if we miss either of those two or both. I think Guard is thinner this year then offensive tackle in the draft, but I just hope they solidify the line.

lvbronx
02-27-2007, 06:05 AM
Best way to improve the OL?

Have Shanny kiss and make up with Alex Gibbs (who is available).

bjoli198
02-27-2007, 06:12 AM
Best way to improve the OL?

Have Shanny kiss and make up with Alex Gibbs (who is available).

have to agree with that.
besides that, I like Ben Hamilton, and think he will be the anchor of the broncos OL when Nalen steps aside

lancane
02-27-2007, 06:30 AM
have to agree with that.
besides that, I like Ben Hamilton, and think he will be the anchor of the broncos OL when Nalen steps aside

Though I would not mind Gibbs returning, deep down I know it will not happen. And as for Hamilton he has only has a year or two left on his contract and if he can not get his weight up as he was asked to then he will be gone, our line will get weak quickly because Nalen, Lepsis and Hamilton will all be gone within the next two years. We have very little quality remaining in most areas and that will hurt us, our highest two praised that would remain is Kuper and Pears, out of which only Pears has really proven anything so far.

BR0NCOFANATIC
02-27-2007, 07:06 AM
Great hopefully we can get that 1 yard on 3rd and 1 now.n :rockon:

Nick
02-27-2007, 09:12 AM
As far as getting a more "prototypical" offensive line... it is not going to happen this year. The Broncos as well as Falcons will maintain there zone block scheme.

If they were going to approach the line and get "bigger" they would not be shopping Foster right now.

Yes Foster messed up this year a little bit and never lived up to his standards of a 1st round pick for the Broncos. It is mainly do to the scheme we use.

I really think Foster is going to do great. In that normal offensive line.

theshiverman
02-27-2007, 09:16 AM
It was easier for the Broncos to make sense of where their 2006 season went wrong, and how they can fix their roster for 2007.

One solution: The Broncos want to get bigger, especially up front, on both sides of the scrimmage line. Broncos coach Mike Shanahan has said the notion he prefers smaller linemen always has been a fallacy.

"You always want big players," Shanahan said last week. "You just want big guys who can move."

On offense, the Broncos will build around second-year quarterback Jay Cutler by building him a bigger wall. The biggest change, so to speak, will be at right guard, where 302-pound Chris Kuper is expected to replace 295-pound Cooper Carlisle, who is about to enter unrestricted free agency.

The Broncos also could inquire about Cincinnati's Eric Steinbach or San Diego's Kris Dielman, guards widely considered by NFL coaches and executives as the top two prizes in this year's free-agent market.

As for the Broncos' existing line, the return of Matt Lepsis from knee surgery will allow 305-pound Erik Pears to move from left to right tackle, where he will compete with veteran Adam Meadows as a replacement for George Foster, a former first-round draft pick who will be traded or released.

With veteran Tom Nalen entrenched at center, the Broncos' only "undersized" lineman, as defined by a scout's prototype, would be left guard Ben Hamilton. And the Broncos have asked Hamilton to bulk up from his 283-pound playing weight.

On defense, more size up front was deemed necessary after the Broncos seemingly wore down during the second half of their 2006 season, particularly during the second half of games.

I wouldnt release Foster, i would make him a guard, that would put a very big man that can move up front, i think he could make a very good guard.

Nick
02-27-2007, 09:24 AM
I wouldnt release Foster, i would make him a guard, that would put a very big man that can move up front, i think he could make a very good guard.

I agree.. he will be a guard if we trade him or release him to another team. He will still need help from the tackle position and might hurt "us" more at guard.

He just does not fit in our system. If they want to go bigger on offensive line I would keep Foster... because this draft has some beast's at OG and OT in the first day.

TR3Y
02-27-2007, 09:27 AM

As long as they can "move" like Shanny said, they will fit into our zone blocking scheme perfectly....

Leonard Davis is "big", but too big is not a good thing (mobility wise), especially for the Broncos blocking scheme....

mdaver
02-27-2007, 10:35 AM
i dont know if im comfortable with lepsis-pears at tackle protecting cutler

lancane
02-27-2007, 11:00 AM
i dont know if im comfortable with lepsis-pears at tackle protecting cutler

Well there is one idea I had not long ago...it is not popular but my idea was to have Pears at right tackle, mover Foster to right guard and draft Justin Blalock from Texas or Ben Grubbs from Auburn in the first to be at left guard and try Kuper out at left tackle behind Lepsis.

kupesdad
02-27-2007, 11:42 AM
He played LT his entire senior year but that was D2. I think he is athletic enough. He played QB until his soph year in HS but pretty much ate his way on to the OL. Thats probably one of the reasons that he didn't get a ton of looks from D1 A schools he only had 2 years as an O-Lineman. That and the fact that they don't recruit heavily up here. He has great knee bend and a solid punch but sometimes has a tendency to go for the "knock out" block. His junior year he had 115 "decleaters". I think because of his natural aggressiveness he is better suited at guard.

JRWIZ
02-27-2007, 12:13 PM
Well there is one idea I had not long ago...it is not popular but my idea was to have Pears at right tackle, mover Foster to right guard and draft Justin Blalock from Texas or Ben Grubbs from Auburn in the first to be at left guard and try Kuper out at left tackle behind Lepsis.

But OG are almost never drafted in the first round the tend to be 2-3 rounders.
OG were drafted in these positions
2006 23-41-56-69-75-99-108-112 spots.
2005 32-33-79-81-107-111-112-124-126-134
2004 16-34-46-82-123 with more later on
2003 32-72-81-87-102-122

All of these were in 1-4 rounds the ones in orange are 2-3 rounders.

As you can see almost none in the first rounds.

Everyone was in an uproar when foster was drafted in the first considering he was really a ORT. No one at the time could beleive he went so high considering the Weight he was carrying, he was so un-prototypical of DEN Oline ideals.

BTW Gibbs would want to be an "assistant head coach" not sure how many more Mikey could have before being fined by the league. :goofy:

lvbronx
02-27-2007, 03:19 PM
BTW Gibbs would want to be an "assistant head coach" not sure how many more Mikey could have before being fined by the league. :goofy:

We just have to be a little creative.

We have an assistant head coach - offense, assistant head coach defense and Steve Watson is now the "associate" head coach...

So, how about:
Head Coach Jr.
Vice head coach
semi-head coach
kind of head coach

Or....make Gibbs head coach and promote Shanny to "Supreme Head Coach". :)

BroncoSexyDaddy
02-27-2007, 09:08 PM
Was it really Jake or was it the offensive line being small for the reason of the Broncos struggling offense? It seems to me that members are blaming the line being to small for the reason are offense struggled this season. :coffee:

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/getty/56625039bb001_denver_bronco.widec.jpg

Dean
03-01-2007, 06:02 AM
Was it really Jake or was it the offensive line being small for the reason of the Broncos struggling offense? It seems to me that members are blaming the line being to small for the reason are offense struggled this season. :coffee:

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/getty/56625039bb001_denver_bronco.widec.jpg

The line being small has been blamed for the Broncos problems in the passing game for years. It has been blamed for weak third and short as well as red zone problems for years. This is not a new idea and IMO they are a large part (definitely not all) of the problem.

Shanahan acknowledges that he wants big but athletic linemen but has been unwilling to pay the price. There are not many players with size, agility, and quickness. To get them you must take them early. Teams with big D-tackles have been able to bull rush the Broncos effectively for years. That is why a mobil QB has been a must for our system. Just look at the Griese years but until recently we have been able to run the ball extremely effectively.

It is a trade-off. Do you use those high picks on O-linemen or not? Do you really want to switch to a pass first offense or not? Is the decline in our rushing attack a mere blip on the radar or writing on the wall?