PDA

View Full Version : New Quentin Griffin Information

OklahomaSooners
09-10-2003, 05:30 PM
If anyone hears of any new "Q" information, please post it to this thread, or any comments on or about him.

OklahomaSooners
09-10-2003, 05:33 PM
From what I hear he is backing up Portis now 2nd string. Does anyone know if he will be playing in the next game? Man, I can't wait to see him play. He has talent that reminds me of Barry Sanders.

watermock
09-10-2003, 10:22 PM
He's still battling thru some pain and is not in football shape yet.

I would be surprised if he was active this week or even against Oakland unless someone goes down.

He isn't as explosive as Sanders, and never will be, but he might make a decent 3rd down back.

He missed alot of time with that leg, especially for a rookie.

OklahomaSooners
09-11-2003, 08:46 AM
I thought he was only going to be out for 4 - 6 weeks. It has been over that now. August 25 will be two months. On the injury report it lists him as probable to play. Thats tough luck, never got hurt at OU and comes in and gets hurt the first day of camp. I tell you this though, he is a tough guy and he will bounce back with more "will" then ever. As far as explosive, I seen him defeat the longhorns last year and he exploded all over them. He can cut, catch, run low, break tackles and all types of things I have seen him do while at OU. He is probably one of the most underated rb's out there. However, Coach Shanahan must have seen that special talent, because he drafted Quentin Griffin for a reason. Anyone who has actually watched Quentin Griffin play, knows what he can do and that he will far more than suceed in the NFL. If given the chance, I think he could provide over a 1000 yard year easily. The defenders will have a time finding and catching the "little big man". If you want to know how valuable Quentin Griffin is on the running game, ask OU this year. Griffin scored (10) 100 yard games last year and that is against Big 12 Defense, some of the best defense in the nation. This year OU IS def. hurting on the running game and Quentin Griffin is really missed. You and several people may say "Q" may be a good 3rd down back. Yes you are right, but I think if he plays anything like he did for OU, he could easily be a feature back also if given the chance or Portis goes down. Also, one thing to keep in mind, "Q" will be times 2 now. Twice the Griffin and that is scary. Why? Well simple, in college you have to play football and study and keep the grades up. Well now, this is his JOB and my guess is that Griffin will train, train, train and work to be the best and not just a 3rd down back. So, if something should give him the chance to show what he can do, be prepared and be glad he plays for the Broncos.

DarkLiger1
09-11-2003, 08:57 AM
Ive seen Griffin play and ive got to say that hes very good.Not good enough to replace Clinton Portis but still very good.Its good that the Broncos can feel safe that if something happpens to Portis they have a very good back-up.Hopefully Griffin can get healthy and stay that way.I mean what good is a Back-up if hes injured?

OklahomaSooners
09-11-2003, 09:10 AM
I agree, he def. needs to stay healthy. However, he never had a problem with that at OU lets hope nothing else freakish happens.

AsianOrange
09-11-2003, 09:50 AM
I read somewhere he was going to suit up against the Chargers.....it looks like Portis need a breather on some plays....hopefully he'll be in the lineup soon!

OklahomaSooners
09-11-2003, 10:06 AM
Here you go, for people who never seen Quentin Griffin in action and for those who want to see him again. Look at these skills Mike Shanahan saw!

http://www.socalsoonerfans.com/2000videos.htm

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/index.php3?go=030626

http://www.the-smartass.com/LAVideos-Flash.htm

http://home.hawaii.rr.com/jpv/images/OU_UNC_2.jpg

http://www.soonersports.com/pdf1/2427.pdf?ATCLID=24562&SPSID=2472&SPID=190&DB_OEM_ID=300

AsianOrange
09-11-2003, 10:12 AM
You Sooner people crack me up.

Broncos316
09-11-2003, 10:22 AM
Quentin Griffin is a good solid back. But there is also another solid back, a rookie, who has actually proved he can and will be good in the NFL, something Griffin hasn't done yet. Cecil Sapp. Tell me if this makes sense. Quentin Griffin gets hurt the first day of training camp. Hasn't played one NFL game yet. Cecil Sapp, perfectly healthy throughout camp, plays in all 4 games, has a solid performance the final preseason game against Seattle, gets cut on final cut day, then resigned to the practice squad. Griffin, meanwhile, gets put on second string???? He has yet to prove what he can do in the NFL. All do respect, he was good at OU. But that's college, not the NFL. There have been many good running backs in college, but falter once they hit the pro's. Don't get me wrong, Shanahan and co. knows what they are doing, I hope, by putting a rookie as a backup to their star rb, who hasn't even played an NFL game yet. And after a broken leg, it is extremely questionable if he will be able to perform like he did in college. I don't see him getting many carries for Portis. Mike Anderson is listed as no. 2 last I checked. And he took over for Portis last Sunday against the Bengals, so I think we will see Mike before Quentin.

rascal
09-11-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by OklahomaSooners
Here you go, for people who never seen Quentin Griffin in action and for those who want to see him again. Look at these skills Mike Shanahan saw!

http://www.socalsoonerfans.com/2000videos.htm

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/index.php3?go=030626

Please tell that Terry Pierce wasn't number 40 on KS on that one video. That was the worst attempt at tackling I have ever seen.

rascal
09-11-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by rascal
Please tell that Terry Pierce wasn't number 40 on KS on that one video. That was the worst attempt at tackling I have ever seen.

Okay it wasn't. Some guy named Jared Cooper. He defintely won't make it to the NFL.

OklahomaSooners
09-11-2003, 10:43 AM
Broncos Offense
WR 80 Rod Smith 81 Chris Cole
LT 74 Ephraim Salaam 71 Blake Brockermeyer
LG 50 Ben Hamilton 79 Steve Herndon
C 66 Tom Nalen
RG 62 Dan Neil 65 Cooper Carlisle
RT 78 Matt Lepsis 72 George Foster
TE 84 Shannon Sharpe 89 Dwayne Carswell 86 Patrick Hape
88 Jeb Putzier
WR 87 Ed McCaffrey 85 Ashley Lelie 82 Adrian Madise
QB 16 Jake Plummer 11 Steve Beuerlein
RB 26 Clinton Portis 22 Quentin Griffin
FB 38 Mike Anderson 34 Reuben Droughns

AsianOrange
09-11-2003, 10:56 AM
As long as we got Portis...we're in good hands....

So that makes Q good to go if Portis goes down.

rosco
09-11-2003, 01:15 PM
I think Griffin might be getting some playing time week 2 That's what they said on the mailbag on the DP

OklahomaSooners
09-11-2003, 01:26 PM
Denver Post 09-11-03
Adam - With RB Quentin Griffin and TE Jeb Putzier currently injured and unable to contribute, I am wondering why the Broncos did not place one or both on the physically-unable-to-perform list? My understanding is that a player that is placed on the PUP list must miss the first six games, but can return after that. Is my understanding correct, and why was this not an option for the Broncos? They never seem to use this list. Is there a downfall to it? Thank you.
-- Joe Wiedemann, Denver

Joe, Denver didn't place them on PUP for a simple reason. They intend to use them a lot sooner than then. In fact, Putzier was active for Sunday's game at Cincinnati, and Griffin should be ready to play Sunday at San Diego. So why would you put those players on a list that would sideline them for six weeks when they

Treze
09-11-2003, 01:35 PM
The Q comes into a great situation at Bronco Running Back University. Portis has a great style but having Griffith healthy will really deliver a change up. I'm anxious to see how he will be used in a game plan.

I don't have anything against Cecil Sapp but he did go undrafted. Regardless of his pre season performances, when he was cut every other team in the league had the option to look at him again. I wouldn't say being put on the practice squad is all that bad of deal for him. Gives him a chance.

OklahomaSooners
09-11-2003, 04:31 PM
I agree, not a bad deal at all.

Chubs_323
09-11-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Treze
The Q comes into a great situation at Bronco Running Back University. Portis has a great style but having Griffith healthy will really deliver a change up. I'm anxious to see how he will be used in a game plan.

I don't have anything against Cecil Sapp but he did go undrafted. Regardless of his pre season performances, when he was cut every other team in the league had the option to look at him again. I wouldn't say being put on the practice squad is all that bad of deal for him. Gives him a chance.

It doesn't matter he went undrafted! Cecil stayed healthy, Quentin didn't. Cecil 1, Griffin 0
Cecil led the team in rushing. Quentin led the team in water served. Cecil 2, Griffin .5 (the water was cold!)
Cecil has a cool name. Quentin (geek!) Cecil 2.5, Griffin .5
Cecil has power, Quentin has speed. Cecil 3.5, Quentin 1.5

Final Score- Cecil "The Diesel" Sapp: 3.5 Quentin: 1.5

With all due respect to Griffin, he has to prove himself in the NFL. Cecil has already done that.

Go CSU! Kick some Weber State butt!

broncos4ever
09-11-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Chubs_323
It doesn't matter he went undrafted! Cecil stayed healthy, Quentin didn't. Cecil 1, Griffin 0
Cecil led the team in rushing. Quentin led the team in water served. Cecil 2, Griffin .5 (the water was cold!)
Cecil has a cool name. Quentin (geek!) Cecil 2.5, Griffin .5
Cecil has power, Quentin has speed. Cecil 3.5, Quentin 1.5

Final Score- Cecil "The Diesel" Sapp: 3.5 Quentin: 1.5

With all due respect to Griffin, he has to prove himself in the NFL. Cecil has already done that.

Go CSU! Kick some Weber State butt!

Being from Fort Collins I think you have rose colored glasses. Cecil is good, but Griffin has shown a lot more in mini-camps and the first of training camp. Griffin in Oklahoma was unstoppable. He is also a totally different back then Sapp and is much more exciting. By the way I live in Loveland and I have seen Sapp play...

OklahomaSooners
09-11-2003, 06:22 PM
What kind of stupid point system is that? I believe Quentin had more rushing and recieving yards then Cecil in 2002. I rest my case.

OklahomaSooners
09-11-2003, 06:47 PM
MAX 'Q': Quentin Griffin returned to practice for the Broncos prior to the final preseason game two weeks ago. But this week, the rookie running back has ramped up and hit full speed after being deactivated at Cincinnati.

"He's starting to look like he's back to normal," Head Coach Mike Shanahan said. "He had a couple of cuts today that were very impressive. You can see that he's trying to get his legs back (to where) he feels comfortable getting back with football-related drills and just getting the feel of the system."

Getting back to full speed physically was the biggest challenge. When it comes to the mental part of the NFL, he'd managed to stay adept.

"Even though he wasn't getting a lot of reps, he was in all the classroom work, and didn't miss a whole lot there," Shanahan said. "But until you actually get back in football shape, it's a little bit tough. He's done everything we've asked him to do."

AsianOrange
09-11-2003, 08:43 PM
Until "Q" make headlines for the Broncos...then I will give him some cred, but as of now...he's just another player on the bench.

broncos4ever
09-11-2003, 10:13 PM
You know what is interesting? He made the cut and he didn't play most of pre-season. Someone must think he is really good.

OklahomaSooners
09-11-2003, 10:39 PM
Someone indeed. I think he will turn many of heads once given the chance. Who knows maybe this Sunday.

AsianOrange
09-12-2003, 08:44 AM
Liek I said, he makes a good 3rd down back and come in for Portis and we wouldn't lose a step.....2 of the best tailbacks in the 2000-2001 college era plays for us!

BroncosFan
09-12-2003, 09:19 AM
I am looking forward to seeing "Q" run and hopefully we might see it this weekend. As far as Cecil if we ever had to go that deep to sign a back from the practice squad at least we would know that there was a viable one there.

Jared
09-12-2003, 09:33 AM
God, you are all funny.

the CSU people want Cecil, the Okies want Q

As if the college they went to has anything to do with this.

FACT: Sapp is more of a power runner, Q is more of a speedy slasher

FACT: Sapp had a better preseason, and Q was injured

FACT: Q makes more MONEY, thus justifying his roster spot to Bowlen

FACT: Q is not as good as Portis, and if he wants to start, it will either be because of injury or a trade to another team. The same for Sapp, except he is futher down the depth chart than Q

FACT: Shannahan doesn't give a rats ass who did what in college against what type of comepetition. All any NFL coach cares about is performance. Sapp, so far, has outperformed Griffin.

I think Sapp got shafted, but ulimately, Griffin is a better fit for what Shannhan wants to do with running backs in the offense now. The philosphy changed a bit when Elway retired. Less betweeen the tackles, and more screens, outside stuff, and play action. He made his choice, and that is that.

Sorry for sounding so heavy handed today, I will try to be my usual funny self tomorrow. Maybe I just need coffee.

BroncosFan
09-12-2003, 09:38 AM

Isn't that the truth!!!! Mo money

OklahomaSooners
09-12-2003, 10:30 AM
Well lets take a look at the stats. That should help and keep in mind the teams that each rb had to go up against.

Quentin Griffin Rush Rec Total

Opponent Yds Yds Yds
Tulsa 237 -1 236
Alabama 3 18 21
South Florida 10 25 35
Missouri 105 44 149
Texas 248 3 251
Iowa St. 111 11 122
Colorado 128 0 128
Texas A&M 141 6 147
Baylor 152 53 205
Texas Tech 207 27 234
Oklahoma St. 102 36 138
Colorado 188 28 216
Washington St. 144 5 149
Totals 1884 264 2148

Cecil Spp Rush Rec Total
Opponent Yds Yds Yds
Virginia 178 8 186
Colorado 80 37 117
UCLA 105 -6 99
Louisville 130 0 130
Nevada 125 0 125
Fresno St. 94 12 106
Wyoming 143 0 143
Utah 71 4 75 Brigham 164 0 164
Air Force 132 0 132
San Diego St. 80 0 80
New Mexico 36 6 42
UNLV 157 2 159
TCU 106 0 106
Totals 1601 63 1664

Final Stats
Quentin Griffin Totals 1884 264 2148

Cecil Sapp Totals 1601 63 1664

QueFan
09-12-2003, 10:31 AM
Whoever posted, "Okay it wasn't. Some guy named Jared Cooper. He defintely won't make it to the NFL." is incorrect. Jared Cooper plays for the Jags. He was all Big XII and started every game for the Jags in 2001. I'm not sure what happened the last two years. I think a lot of people will be surprised by Q, and comparing him to Sapp is hilarious. I saw Q in a scrimmage his JR. year absolutely knock Roy Williams flying on a safety blitz. Roy Williams is one of the best and most physical defensive players who has played college football; and I've watched a lot of college football for a long, long time. Griffin is the complete package. Is he better than Portis? Not as a rook, obviously, but to compare him (and his 1,800 yards rushing last year) to Cecil is laughable. We'll see, I'm an Oklahoma fan, and I've seen what this kid can do, and he is a special back. His weightlifting and strength numbers are mind-boggling.

OklahomaSooners
09-12-2003, 10:38 AM
Just compare the combine scores and someone says he is not powerfull. Just because he is short does not mean he is NOT explosive and powerfull. You know the old saying (dynamite comes in small packages). Plus keep this in mind, he can bench press 400 lbs. that and his squat is absolutely crazy. I think that says you have to be powerfull.

Treze
09-12-2003, 11:26 AM
We're all impressed Sapp ripped Seattle's 2nd and 3rd string in a completely meaningless pre season game. Our scrubs were better than theirs. WoooooHoooo! Despite that performance nobody picked him up. Whats the deal with dat?

I think being on the practice squad is a great opportunity for him.

Of course Shanahan cares about what players did in college. How do you think they get on the draft board? Their great auntie Henrietta writes a letter to the coach?

OklahomaSooners
09-12-2003, 02:09 PM
Atleast he is still participating in the system even if it is the practise squad, its better then nothing.

Chubs_323
09-12-2003, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Jared
God, you are all funny.

the CSU people want Cecil, the Okies want Q

As if the college they went to has anything to do with this.

FACT: Sapp is more of a power runner, Q is more of a speedy slasher

FACT: Sapp had a better preseason, and Q was injured

FACT: Q is not as good as Portis, and if he wants to start, it will either be because of injury or a trade to another team. The same for Sapp, except he is futher down the depth chart than Q

FACT: Shannahan doesn't give a rats ass who did what in college against what type of comepetition. All any NFL coach cares about is performance. Sapp, so far, has outperformed Griffin.

I think Sapp got shafted, but ulimately, Griffin is a better fit for what Shannhan wants to do with running backs in the offense now. The philosphy changed a bit when Elway retired. Less betweeen the tackles, and more screens, outside stuff, and play action. He made his choice, and that is that.

Sorry for sounding so heavy handed today, I will try to be my usual funny self tomorrow. Maybe I just need coffee.

Exactly! Cecil did get shafted! Griffin probably deserved a spot on the team, but Cecil proved out on the field and in practice that he should be on the roster too. Why did the Broncos decide on having an extra linebacker insted of an extra RB? Cecil was supposed to be drafted in the 2nd-4th round, and now he can't make a team because the team wants another linebacker. Hmm.

OklahomaSooners
09-12-2003, 11:26 PM
If Cecil did better on the field don't you think he would have made the cut??????He would have gotten the roster spot and not Griffin. Apparently Griffin showed MORE on the practice field. Obviously they are going to pick who they think will offer the most for the team. Don't you think? I sure do. If I was the coach, I am going to pick who is the best for the team and fill that spot with the roster spot. So obviously, who did Coach Shanahan pick? Cecil or Griffin.........I think we know the choice. Except it and like it. Who is the head coach you or Shanahan and who has the experience as a head coach of a NFL football team? He had the eye to pick Portis, so don't you think he has plans for Griffin. He must have seen something and he well should have. Just wait tell he gets his shot to prove the disbelievers wrong and you will eat your words...........And I will laugh and laugh and laugh because then you will be saying ole man Griffin is awesome I knew he deserved that spot. So go Griffin and go Broncos!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jared
09-13-2003, 12:14 AM
You all missed my point.

I think it was basically.....why are you argueing about 3rd string backs?

I still think combine performance is much more important than collge.

Didn;t mean to rile ya'll

Apparently both sides think I am for the opposite side.

How the hell did do that?

Chubs_323
09-13-2003, 10:14 AM
Look OklahomaSooners, I'm not saying that Griffin isn't deserving of the spot, but from what us as fans saw was no Griffin and mo' Sapp. Plus, how could Shanahan have plans for either of them? Portis is only 21! I'm not trying to make you think that I am some stuck up CSU fan who thinks we can win the Big 12. I'm just saying that Cecil proved his point and should've made the team.

TXBRONC
09-13-2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Jared
You all missed my point.

I think it was basically.....why are you argueing about 3rd string backs?

I still think combine performance is much more important than collge.

Didn;t mean to rile ya'll

Apparently both sides think I am for the opposite side.

How the hell did do that?

Jared you just have a unique way of making everone think you are on their side. Have considered a career in politics?

AsianOrange
09-13-2003, 04:52 PM
It's all in the wording TX. I think Denver has a very deep talent in backs. If one was to go down, we bring in Sapp....so we're in great shape!

Jared
09-14-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by TXBRONC
Jared you just have a unique way of making everone think you are on their side. Have considered a career in politics?

Intersesting. Unfortunately I am disqualified for a couple of reasons:

I am honest

I have morals

I have common sense

So as you can see, I would make a terrible politician.

TXBRONC
09-14-2003, 12:14 PM
Precisely all the reasons that someone like yourself should be in politics. Every state and the nation need quality people.

OklahomaSooners
09-15-2003, 10:51 PM
Next up (The Raiders)

OklahomaSooners
09-21-2003, 10:21 AM
Prediction:

Broncos - 24

Raiders - 17

Chubs_323
09-21-2003, 11:46 AM
Prediction:

Broncos - 24

Raiders - 17

I thought this was "Quentin Griffin Information", not "Raiders Predictions"

ddolak
09-21-2003, 12:23 PM
Teams usually don't cut their 4th round picks if they have any potential. Therefore the Broncs kept Q and put Sapp on the practice squad.

Sapp playing against Seattle's 2nd and 3rd stringers is a long way from proving you can play in the NFL. We never did get to see Q, so its hard to debate how each would fare in the NFL. Remember, 4th round pick vs. undrafted player battling for a roster spot usually leaves the 4th rounder on the team. Otherwise the club is admitting it made a bad draft pick and wasted it. (Not saying that Q was a bad pick btw)

broncos_chick
09-21-2003, 06:10 PM
While the folks who talk of Griffin not having played in an NFL game yet do have a point, how is he supposed to get the experience if he given the chance to do so?

And yeah, I'm from Oklahoma, but that's not got a lot to do with my wanting to see him out there. I really believe that if he's given the opportunity, he'll prove his worth. I'm hopeful he'll get the op on Monday at some point.

sKILLsAw
09-21-2003, 07:32 PM
Whether your a Q fan or Sapp fan or Portis fan or a Davis fan, the depth and quality of Bronco running backs over the last decade makes me prouder than a three pecker billy goat.I know this is a Q thread but I just had to throw that in there..................

Chubs_323
09-21-2003, 09:03 PM
I just think it was pretty lame to put Cecil on the practice squad and keep an extra LB. With Gold, Mobley and Wilson, I don't think we needed another backup.

TXBRONC
09-22-2003, 06:35 AM
I just think it was pretty lame to put Cecil on the practice squad and keep an extra LB. With Gold, Mobley and Wilson, I don't think we needed another backup.

Chubs come on. That was a smart move. What would have been the preverbial cutting off your nose to spite your face would have been if Sapp had not accepted the offer. The reason why is he would be sitting at home rather than learning how to play at the pro level. Sapp may be a good back, but in the opinion of Shanahan QG is better. No offense brother, but maybe its time to give this one a rest. The season is long and anything can happen.

broncos4ever
09-22-2003, 07:59 AM

Chubbs,

Sapp does not play special teams as well as Sykes or Spragan that's why he is on the practice team. We don't need him as a running back at this time.

OklahomaSooners
09-22-2003, 05:02 PM
You guys make some very good points, maybe we will get to see "Q" TONIGHT and we will se how well he does. My bet is he is going to rock!

TXBRONC
09-22-2003, 11:03 PM
You guys make some very good points, maybe we will get to see "Q" TONIGHT and we will se how well he does. My bet is he is going to rock!

You got your wish, and he did well for the limited action he saw.

Return of Lava
11-24-2003, 06:47 PM
I always did like "Max Q" . I never even seen him play before in OU but i just know he has some moves. Sooner or later, he will get used to the beating and learn how to avoid the big hit, i enjoy seeing the little guy out there. He is valuable for spot duty.