PDA

View Full Version : Jason Taylor: The NFL's best defender?

Fins4Life
06-01-2007, 09:01 AM
Jason Taylor: The NFL's best defender?
By Adam Best on June 1, 2007 12:42 AM
Permalink | Comments (6) | Email This Article | RSS | [+] More Dolphins News

Sports media types often debate the following question: Who's the best defender in the NFL?

There are many possible answers to that question, but a name left unmentioned far too often is Miami Dolphins superstar defensive end Jason Taylor.

Typically the answers to the original question are linebackers Brian Urlacher (Bears) and Shawne Merriman (Chargers), as well as Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey. Frankly, Taylor might be a better player than any of the above-mentioned guys. Even though he was last year's NFL Defensive Player of the Year, that sentiment doesn't seem to fall in line with the general consensus.

Urlacher is an outstanding player, there is no debating that. In fact, he probably compares favorably to either Bailey or Merriman. He has played alongside defensive talent superior to Taylor's teammates, though, both in front of him on the line and behind him in the secondary. During the previous few seasons, Chicago's secondary has possessed much more talent than Dolphins' defensive backfield. Additionally, the Bears had highly acclaimed defensive-minded coaches like Lovie Smith and Ron Rivera on staff, and last year they had the NFL's best field-position equalizer on the roster in Devin Hester.

Considering that as recent as two years ago Urlacher played on the best defense in the NFL statistically, it's hard to argue that his situation hasn't been superior to Taylor's.

That being said, Taylor's '06 stats trump Urlacher's. The latter recorded 141 tackles, zero sacks, three interceptions, one fumble forced and recovered, and six passes defensed last season. In comparison, Taylor recorded 60 tackles, 13 sacks, two interceptions (both returned for touchdowns), nine forced fumbles, two fumbles recovered and eight passes defensed.

First off, middle linebackers don't have to battle with mammoth OTs, so they are free to roam and make tackles. That's a middle linebacker's job -- making tackles. The tackle disparity between the two isn't a big deal. What is a big deal is Urlacher not recording a single sack, while Taylor notched 13 sacks. Historically, defensive ends and outside linebackers dominate the sack category, but Taylor's statistical dominance goes further than just sacks.

Taylor outperformed Urlacher in every other single category except interceptions. Even with picks, Taylor took both of his to the house, while Urlacher has never returned an interception for a touchdown. In fact, Taylor shares the NFL record with seven career touchdown returns, while Urlacher has but one. Very few defensive backs have that kind of big-play ability, let alone a defensive lineman.

In fact, Bailey only has four career touchdown returns and he is widely regarded as the best cornerback in the league. Is Bailey as talented as Taylor? Maybe, but he doesn't impact the game like Taylor can from the defensive end spot. Bailey doesn't get thrown at by the opposition, and while some may see that as smart football, it is also scared football. The Oakland Raiders played in Denver two years ago and the Raiders kept going to Jerry Porter, as he burned Bailey all night long. Other receivers have also torched Bailey, but that's just the most prominent example. Bailey's rep may have surpassed his actual talent at this point.

While Bailey has been dominated over the course of a game, it's nearly impossible to think of a time when an offensive lineman ever dominated Taylor.

Merriman shouldn't even be considered in this conversation until he stays off steroids for a couple of years, which Taylor came out and chastised him. Part of being a great player is being a leader and role model, and Taylor is. While Merriman's steroid suspension indicates he's not a role model, Taylor exemplifies what it means to be one.

As for some of the other great defenders in the NFL -- Dwight Freeney, Julius Peppers, Ray Lewis, Troy Polamalu, among others -- their abilities just aren't as freakish. Taylor dominates like no other defender in the league, and his stats back that up in spite of his supporting cast, not because of them.

Emancipator
06-01-2007, 09:03 AM
He's definitely not the best, but he is one of the best.
I'd have him on my team.

However, the writer used this article to downgrade Champ Bailey. That's so sorry. Bailey impacts the game every time he steps onto the field. He takes away his entire side just making QBs and coordinators fear throwing to his side.
Please............that's an impact.

SBboundBRONCOS
06-01-2007, 09:24 AM
yeah i think he is very good but certainly not the best. I also hate that Merriman is in there too, all he can do is sack the QB, i dont think ive ever seen a replay of him making an actuall tackle but then again i dont really watch the chargers.

But back to taylor, he is very solid every year but i wouldn't say hes elite every year, like urlacher, bailey, Lewis, and others in that company.

he had this one superior year and now he is the best.he played the Grossman this year and that helps pad everybody's stats in both sacks, forced fumbles, and ints,

its not that taylor doesnt deserve anything he works hard hes a good guy, but in my opinion i just dont think that a DE can be the best defensive player in the entire league for more than one season (hence his defensive player of the year)

Atwnbroncfan
06-01-2007, 10:22 AM
Those remarks about Bailey really pissed me off. He doesn't impact the game like Taylor? Come on man. Most of Baileys picks were in the red zone. If thats not impacting the game I don't know what is. When did Taylor stop a drive by himself in the redzone. I'm not saying Bailey is the best or Taylor is the best but this guys reason for Bailey not being the best is dumb.

Broncos86
06-01-2007, 10:28 AM
ya no offense and all but ur comments were severely biased

evendelae
06-01-2007, 10:33 AM
ZOMG Champ got burned three years ago! OH NOEZ!!!!!!!!!!111!11!

Yeah, watch him this year, then get back to me about who's the best defender in the game.

Taylor's damn good though. If he wants to come hang out with Bates, he's more than welcome.

lex
06-01-2007, 10:37 AM

Sports media types often debate the following question: Who's the best defender in the NFL?

There are many possible answers to that question, but a name left unmentioned far too often is Miami Dolphins superstar defensive end Jason Taylor.

Typically the answers to the original question are linebackers Brian Urlacher (Bears) and Shawne Merriman (Chargers), as well as Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey. Frankly, Taylor might be a better player than any of the above-mentioned guys. Even though he was last year's NFL Defensive Player of the Year, that sentiment doesn't seem to fall in line with the general consensus.

Urlacher is an outstanding player, there is no debating that. In fact, he probably compares favorably to either Bailey or Merriman. He has played alongside defensive talent superior to Taylor's teammates, though, both in front of him on the line and behind him in the secondary. During the previous few seasons, Chicago's secondary has possessed much more talent than Dolphins' defensive backfield. Additionally, the Bears had highly acclaimed defensive-minded coaches like Lovie Smith and Ron Rivera on staff, and last year they had the NFL's best field-position equalizer on the roster in Devin Hester.

Considering that as recent as two years ago Urlacher played on the best defense in the NFL statistically, it's hard to argue that his situation hasn't been superior to Taylor's.

That being said, Taylor's '06 stats trump Urlacher's. The latter recorded 141 tackles, zero sacks, three interceptions, one fumble forced and recovered, and six passes defensed last season. In comparison, Taylor recorded 60 tackles, 13 sacks, two interceptions (both returned for touchdowns), nine forced fumbles, two fumbles recovered and eight passes defensed.

First off, middle linebackers don't have to battle with mammoth OTs, so they are free to roam and make tackles. That's a middle linebacker's job -- making tackles. The tackle disparity between the two isn't a big deal. What is a big deal is Urlacher not recording a single sack, while Taylor notched 13 sacks. Historically, defensive ends and outside linebackers dominate the sack category, but Taylor's statistical dominance goes further than just sacks.

Taylor outperformed Urlacher in every other single category except interceptions. Even with picks, Taylor took both of his to the house, while Urlacher has never returned an interception for a touchdown. In fact, Taylor shares the NFL record with seven career touchdown returns, while Urlacher has but one. Very few defensive backs have that kind of big-play ability, let alone a defensive lineman.

In fact, Bailey only has four career touchdown returns and he is widely regarded as the best cornerback in the league. Is Bailey as talented as Taylor? Maybe, but he doesn't impact the game like Taylor can from the defensive end spot. Bailey doesn't get thrown at by the opposition, and while some may see that as smart football, it is also scared football. The Oakland Raiders played in Denver two years ago and the Raiders kept going to Jerry Porter, as he burned Bailey all night long. Other receivers have also torched Bailey, but that's just the most prominent example. Bailey's rep may have surpassed his actual talent at this point.

While Bailey has been dominated over the course of a game, it's nearly impossible to think of a time when an offensive lineman ever dominated Taylor.

Merriman shouldn't even be considered in this conversation until he stays off steroids for a couple of years, which Taylor came out and chastised him. Part of being a great player is being a leader and role model, and Taylor is. While Merriman's steroid suspension indicates he's not a role model, Taylor exemplifies what it means to be one.

As for some of the other great defenders in the NFL -- Dwight Freeney, Julius Peppers, Ray Lewis, Troy Polamalu, among others -- their abilities just aren't as freakish. Taylor dominates like no other defender in the league, and his stats back that up in spite of his supporting cast, not because of them.

Someone try to reconcile what Ive bolded. Someone make sense out of this.

Atwnbroncfan
06-01-2007, 10:40 AM

Bailey doesn't play Defensive end, and avoid Bailey at all costs.

Broncos86
06-01-2007, 10:40 AM

no offense but i i would take peppers anyday over taylor even if they were the same age

lex
06-01-2007, 10:49 AM
Bailey doesn't play Defensive end, and avoid Bailey at all costs.

Maybe but its still not making sense. I also have a problem with how this dude cherry picks. When it comes to bad games, hell go back 2-4 years in knocking Bailey or Urlacher but when it comes to Taylor, he conveniently only refers to last year, which was Taylors best year as a pro. Other DEs have had seasons like Taylor but last year may have been the best season any corner has ever had--even Deion. Why is Bailey the only one getting demerits for stuff before last year?

evendelae
06-01-2007, 10:57 AM
I agree lex. If he wants to do this fairly, only last year should be included. I suggest he watches the Arizona, Baltimore, Pitttsburgh, and Cincinatti games and then tell us Jason Taylor is better than Champ. Corner is harder to play than D-End, and IMO Champ is better at his position than Taylor is.

silkamilkamonic
06-01-2007, 12:22 PM
The Oakland Raiders played in Denver two years ago and the Raiders kept going to Jerry Porter, as he burned Bailey all night long. Other receivers have also torched Bailey, but that's just the most prominent example. Bailey's rep may have surpassed his actual talent at this point.

Although I will not argue with the writer on his opinin of Taylor being the best, he definetely loses cred points for bringing an argument against Bailey for something he did 2 years ago.

That's like saying Tom Brady is better than still better than Manning because 2 years ago Manning couldn't win in big games.

Whoops........

Davii
06-01-2007, 01:08 PM

There is no way to. It makes no sense. He says Bailey doesn't impact the game because QB's don't throw his way...

Uh... you think that in and of itself might be an impact? :confused: :rolleyes:

CarolinaPanther
06-01-2007, 03:41 PM
Champ is the best cornerback in the league. Jason Taylor isn't even the best defensive end in the league. Julius Peppers is.

ChampWJ
06-01-2007, 03:53 PM
Ask Tom Brady or any other QB who has made the mistake of throwing over there who the best player is. It doesn't matter if they don't throw to his side much, he still makes plays, and don't forget the fact that he is a superb tackler for a corner.

The plays that sum up his brilliance to me are the pick against Troy Brown in the playoff game, the interception against OAK last year where he ran Moss' route, and the pick against Dallas on Thanksgiving in 05. The other big one that comes to mind is the pick against SD in 05 with a dislocated shoulder that really turned the season around.

No one in the league can match the talent level of Champ. He knows he's gifted beyond belief, but he's not satisfied and works extremely hard to make sure he's the best and doesn't rely on his talent.

Broncosfreak_56
06-01-2007, 04:13 PM

Can you give me the link to that article? I feel like posting a comment...

omac
06-01-2007, 08:06 PM
Can you give me the link to that article? I feel like posting a comment...

There ya go amigo! :salute:

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/06/dolphins-taylor-nflsbest010607.html

BroncoSexyDaddy
06-01-2007, 09:15 PM
Those remarks about Bailey really pissed me off. He doesn't impact the game like Taylor? Come on man. Most of Baileys picks were in the red zone. If thats not impacting the game I don't know what is. When did Taylor stop a drive by himself in the redzone. I'm not saying Bailey is the best or Taylor is the best but this guys reason for Bailey not being the best is dumb.He can ask New England that question :coffee:

Spice 1
06-03-2007, 09:14 PM
It's basicaly pointless to compare apples and oranges in the NFL. DT,DE,OLB,ILB,S,CB are all very different positions. Then you have surrounding talent, and defensive systems where certain positions are spotlighted. The DPOY is a statisticaly based award. You could work out a points system for statistics, but it is still simply a given that certain positions generate more impressive stats. When I look at greatness, it doesn't have a lot to do with stats.

You look at a guy like Taylor. He can play both sides, stop the run and rush the passer. He is athletic enough to play OLB, and he wouldn't be a bad ILB. He can do it all as a DE, and he is very consistent. He stays healthy as well. I don't see how you could consider him greater than Bailey though. Champ can play zone and take care of multiple receivers, he can man up and shut a guy down (this, in my opinion, is a little more difficult than beating a T into the backfield), and he can read the QB better than anyone in the league. He, next to Trufant, is an elite run stupport CB. If you lined him up at S he'd still contend for the Pro Bowl.

Here is where I don't agree with the article at all. Defensive touch downs are generally dominated by athletic DE's. There is no one there to tackle them. He shares this record with another DE who played with the Giants, and defensive touch downs often have more to do with fortune than greatness. Urlacher as an ILB has no where near the same probability of getting a chance at a score. Urlacher must cover, blitz, and tackle more than anyone else on the team. His role is much more demanding.

Champ Bailey, as a corner, is asked to do one of the hardest things in football. Prevent one of the worlds greatest athletes from even getting into a position to catch a ball. Let's think about that, now consider the fact the Denvers lack of a pass rush has forced him to do so for overly extened periods of time. Despite this, he dominated last year. In my opinion, covering Chad Johnson one on one, and then intercepting a pass from Carson Palmer is off the scale difficult when compared to beating one or two guys while rushing the passer (Champ has done this twice). Bailey had almost as many interceptions last year as Taylor had sacks. Consider that Bailey is only thrown at maybe 4 to 5 times a game. Taylor has an opportunity every pass, and a shot at a pick if he is asked to play containment or flat zone. All things considered, look at the elite DE's in the game, and the gap from maybe best to second best. Now compare the elite CB's in the NFL. I think it's safe to say Champ is unquestionably the best CB in the league.