PDA

View Full Version : Barry Sanders

Humberg
07-22-2007, 08:20 AM
Okay, waiting for training camp is extremely painful so I thought I would add to the propositions here by suggesting something outlandish and totally unlikely to happen. Hear me out. Barry has repeatedly qualified his "I'm not coming back" statements with "at this time." I think there is a little spark in his head that would entertain the right situation, the right place.

Meanwhile, Denver is trying to put itself in the best position to win the big one, and there is a lot that suggests they may have a shot. If you look at teams who have done this over the years, one element that may be important is veteran team presence in the locker room (last time we did it we had Elway, Sharpe, Neil Smith etc). How much do you think it would mean for this team's locker room to look across the room and see Barry Sanders suiting up in orange and blue?

Add to this that Barry still probably has something left in the tank and could be a nice change of pace back to team with Henry to give a VERY potent 1-2 punch. From Denver's perspective, if he would come cheap (which I don't see why he wouldn't) I think its a win situation.

From Barry Sanders' point of view, you get the chance to come to a winning organization (finally) and have a legitimate chance to add a SB ring to your already outstanding career. To boot, your also not required to be the primary ball carrier as you get older. I don't necessarily think Denver is unique in what it offers (he could get this from Indy, Chicago, the Pats - lets be honest SD has 2 legit backs already), but Denver is a great place for vets to come and live out their glory years.

The biggest opposition to this plan (IMO) is (reality for one) that they'd have to figure out who wore #20 since this was just given to Henry (!!), and I'm not sure if Millen still holds onto his rights (??). No really, I don't think this would ever happen, but some of it kind of makes sense. I suppose having said that, there are a number of old vets out there in more "need" positions for us (although it would be hard to come up with a superstar like him who could probably still play) that could also fill this role. I was just watching NFL network's show on Sanders and started thinking.....Let me know what you think.

SBboundBRONCOS
07-22-2007, 08:32 AM
im fairly sure this was covered only last week, look back from the search button.

i dont know i never was really a barry fan, he had sick moves but he lost to much yardage

i much prefer a little less elusive back that will gain tough yards each and every down, kinda what we have in henry. not that henry is even on the same planet as barry but his styl is much more fitting for the offense

thats just my thoughts though and i really never got to see barry play i was too young

Pandapeep
07-22-2007, 08:35 AM
Wow, this is nutty. Even for the offseason.

List O' reasons why this would be the worst thing ever
Barry Sanders hasn't played foot ball in nine years. Nine years is an insane amount of time in football terms. It would probably take him at least a year, if not two to get anywhere near close to football shape.

He wouldn't be cheap. This guy pulled a Peyton Manning years before Manning did. He ate up all the teams cap and prevented them from spending money. Sanders is, IMHO, a greedy man.

He is not a Denver system running back. Let me repeat that, He is not a Denver system running back. He would be terrible in this system. One cut and go? Barry was more like one cut and go over here, then over here, over here. The man had made cuts the ginsu knife.

We have no need for him. We have a good starter and excellent depth.

topscribe
07-22-2007, 09:02 AM
I wonder if Jim Brown is available . . . :coffee:

-----

Den21-Bal19
07-22-2007, 09:04 AM
I wonder if Jim Brown is available . . . :coffee:

-----

C'mon, Top........................JB may have been good but he's way past it...........................

Eric ****erson, however ;)

topscribe
07-22-2007, 09:05 AM
C'mon, Top........................JB may have been good but he's way past it...........................

Eric ****erson, however ;)
Hmmm . . . think so? Shoot, I almost suggested Paul Hornung. Or Jim Taylor. Franco Harris?

Man, we have quite a talent pool to draw from! :cheers:

*does anybody know Jim Thorpe's number? Oh, he may not be around anymore?*

-----

Den21-Bal19
07-22-2007, 09:10 AM
Hmmm . . . think so? Shoot, I almost suggested Paul Hornung. Or Jim Taylor. Franco Harris?

-----

:laugh: I was thinking maybe the guy that used to present the NFL's coverage over here, Frank Gifford..........used to be pretty good, didn't he?

fcspikeit
07-22-2007, 10:23 AM

Barry Sanders hasn't played foot ball in nine years. Nine years is an insane amount of time in football terms. It would probably take him at least a year, if not two to get anywhere near close to football shape.

He wouldn't be cheap. This guy pulled a Peyton Manning years before Manning did. He ate up all the teams cap and prevented them from spending money. Sanders is, IMHO, a greedy man.

He is not a Denver system running back. Let me repeat that, He is not a Denver system running back. He would be terrible in this system. One cut and go? Barry was more like one cut and go over here, then over here, over here. The man had made cuts the ginsu knife.

You left out the most important reason of all!

He is old enough to be half our posters grandpa :eek:

Ravage!!!
07-22-2007, 10:54 AM
you guys crack Me up. Barry was in the league playing for 10 years, and now has been out of football for 9 years... and we think that would be a POSITIVE thing to see dressing out in the locker room? Seriously? You think the teammates would feel this is something GOOD to see Barry Sanders (now)dressing out? NOOOO. It would look desperate and sad... not positive and motivating.

Also.. for people that think that Manning and Sanders were/are greedy because of their contracts.. are completely and TOTALLY ignorant. Period.

Northern Lights
07-22-2007, 01:59 PM
I hear that O.J guy is real good

Pandapeep
07-22-2007, 02:07 PM
Call me ignorant then. When your contract hurts the team, you are greedy. Period.

gobroncsnv
07-22-2007, 04:50 PM
Don't even know why Barry, Jim Brown, OJ, Hornung, or any of the others are being discussed..... LT is the best there ever was... you know it and I know it. ;)

Broncosinindy
07-22-2007, 04:56 PM
Don't even know why Barry, Jim Brown, OJ, Hornung, or any of the others are being discussed..... LT is the best there ever was... you know it and I know it. ;)
hes definetly top 10 i think barry was a freak though. as was emmit. walter payton. not takeing ANYTHING from LT but there was some good runners before him.

Davii
07-22-2007, 05:01 PM

-----

I hear OJ Simpson really needs some money. ;)

Lorcust
07-22-2007, 05:29 PM
I hear OJ Simpson really needs some money. ;)

Things didn't so do so good the last time he was in a (albeit white) bronco.

DenBronx
07-22-2007, 05:36 PM
of course you guys do realize the lions have the rights to him if he came back.

speardog
07-22-2007, 06:17 PM
He has been retired for what 8 years now?? Forget it.

bengaaaaals1688
07-22-2007, 06:19 PM

2) Sanders isn't greedy... all Sanders ever wanted was to win the big one, just because the Lions only spent money on him, doesn't mean that he was greedy.

3) You do realize that the biggest reason why he made so many cuts was because his offensive line was unbelievably terrible right?? And that if he was on a team with an actual line he would have been more of the one cut and go rather than the I have to make a play or else no plays are made... Sanders was a great RB who did what he had to in order to help his team win, and what he had to was make as many cuts as possible in order to get big gains.

DancingHorsey
07-22-2007, 07:54 PM
2) Sanders isn't greedy... all Sanders ever wanted was to win the big one, just because the Lions only spent money on him, doesn't mean that he was greedy.

3) You do realize that the biggest reason why he made so many cuts was because his offensive line was unbelievably terrible right?? And that if he was on a team with an actual line he would have been more of the one cut and go rather than the I have to make a play or else no plays are made... Sanders was a great RB who did what he had to in order to help his team win, and what he had to was make as many cuts as possible in order to get big gains.

I've heard this argument before, and I still don't really buy it. Watching him play I remember distinctly that he was a very hesitant runner, always looking to break off a long run. He didn't really seem to understand the concept of using his blockers, hitting the hole, and falling forward for extra yards. Handing the ball off to Barry Sanders was more akin to calling a passing play than a run. His style was the same in college, so saying it was due to a poor line is kind of ridiculous.

Barry Sanders might well be the most electrifying RB of all time, but he doesn't even make the top ten in terms of all-around player at the position.

Humberg
07-22-2007, 07:54 PM
You guys are great! You'll debate almost anything!!! I swear we have some of the best, most football-hungry fans anywhere!

I think it would be cool, c'mon he's only 39!!!!

I wasn't really being 100% serious, but its great it generated some good comments.

I do like the idea of Jim Brown as well, after all he only played for 6years, so he has to have some football left in his legs too!

Last time OJ was in a bronco........ha!

Boy, I can't wait for training camp to start. We need something new to talk about.

bengaaaaals1688
07-22-2007, 07:58 PM
I've heard this argument before, and I still don't really buy it. Watching him play I remember distinctly that he was a very hesitant runner, always looking to break off a long run. He didn't really seem to understand the concept of using his blockers, hitting the hole, and falling forward for extra yards. Handing the ball off to Barry Sanders was more akin to calling a passing play than a run. His style was the same in college, so saying it was due to a poor line is kind of ridiculous.

Barry Sanders might well be the most electrifying RB of all time, but he doesn't even make the top ten in terms of all-around player at the position.

He didn't have any blockers... even if he was like that in college too, that would just make him like every other college RB.(Huge generalization, I know, but it works for a lot of them) He needed to break off a long run every time, that's why he was always looking for it. Nobody else was going to make big plays, it always came down to him. He didn't do something big, nothing big was happening.

JoRo
07-22-2007, 08:35 PM
Too bad he isn't only exceeding 30 but close to 40.... Barry or not I don't wanna waste a spot on the roster on a 38 or 39 year old back who has been outta football 9 years. I doubt he would be the same player anymore

D3N7ER 8r0I\I<05
07-22-2007, 08:42 PM
Where's the Wall of Pain when you need it?

GoBroncos84
07-23-2007, 08:36 AM
Not really sure what to say about this thred...

Other than Barry Sanders is the greatest running back of all time.

Mtdonkeyfan
07-23-2007, 09:12 AM
As you can see I dont post much but I had to rebut something stated in this post.
Barry was accused of being greedy, Not the case He was on a terrible team and he was their first, second, and third option on offense then one day the Lions decided to pay a worthless QB by the name of Mitchell (who couldnt have started for anyother team in the league at the time) the highest salary on the team, So Barry gets pissed because he had never asked for more money or ever spoke negatively against a crappy team so he decided to hold out to be the highest paid player on the team. I dont and never have agreed with hold outs but that one was required. Paying Mitchell more than Sanders was the same as if the Bronco's decided to pay Sammy Winder more than Elway. Period

Jared
07-23-2007, 09:17 AM
Isn't Barry Sanders 38 years old? 39, maybe?

A 39 year old running back?

omac
07-23-2007, 09:35 AM
I'll join in and say Marcus Allen. Or John Capalleti ... oh no ... flashbacks of Something for Joey ... can't ... hold ... back .. the ... tears ..... :D

rst08tierney
07-23-2007, 09:41 AM
I like to drink too before I make a post........Lets give TD a call!!!!!

CSU_stat
07-23-2007, 01:10 PM
Things didn't so do so good the last time he was in a (albeit white) bronco.

Fine: he only plays at home. Problem solved! :cheers:

ColtsOwnYall
07-23-2007, 01:49 PM
How dare you say Manning is greedy! :fight:

Don't believe everything you see on SNL!

PA BRONCO 420
07-23-2007, 02:29 PM
Also.. for people that think that Manning and Sanders were/are greedy because of their contracts.. are completely and TOTALLY ignorant. Period.

call me ignorant but i dont think any professional athelete should be making millions of dollars for playing a game, if anyone is deserving of a multi-million dollar contract it should be the men and women serving in our armed forces overseas ducking and dodging bullets and giving their lives for this country not someone playing a game meant for kids ...................... just my opinion :salute:

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
07-23-2007, 02:30 PM
hes too old id love him but hes too old

KozmicKlown
07-23-2007, 02:41 PM

That has to be the funniest thing I have ever read on this board....

Den21-Bal19
07-23-2007, 02:58 PM
call me ignorant but i dont think any professional athelete should be making millions of dollars for playing a game, if anyone is deserving of a multi-million dollar contract it should be the men and women serving in our armed forces overseas ducking and dodging bullets and giving their lives for this country not someone playing a game meant for kids ...................... just my opinion :salute:

But then neither should any musician or actor or novelist..................

And certainly the likes of Sanders & Manning are players that make money in merchandising for their clubs...............

You can't blame the players for taking advantage of what's there.

(But that's an argument for elsewhere ;))

DevilSpawn
07-23-2007, 03:16 PM
To boot, your also not required to be the primary ball carrier as you get older
Uh, just how older do you expect him to get before he gets, you know, old? He just turned 39. The last 39 year old running back I saw will be the first 39 year old running back I'll see. Oh I get it, he's a young 39. It would make more sense to bring Elway back. He's only 47. But a young 47.

:laugh:

PA BRONCO 420
07-23-2007, 03:26 PM
But then neither should any musician or actor or novelist..................

And certainly the likes of Sanders & Manning are players that make money in merchandising for their clubs...............

You can't blame the players for taking advantage of what's there.

(But that's an argument for elsewhere ;))
i totally agree but like you said some where else..........................

Ravage!!!
07-23-2007, 03:30 PM

That sounds sweet and patriotic and so very PC... but it just isn't realistic. Money doesn't come on trees and just can't be given out without it coming from somewhere. People pay to see movies and actors/actresses get paid 25 million for a movie. Maybe you don't think they deserve that kind of money simply for acting. Bill Gates has made billions because he developed a software.. maybe you don't think that he should get paid that kind of money simply for piddling around on a computer.

I'm guessing the owners of the NFL teams would also wish that the players don't make so much money..that way they can make more. Here's the reality of it. People PAY to see the games, because they want to SEE those players. The reason that players get paid so much money, is because like any unionized corporation, a certain % of the profits go BACk to the employees. In this case, the very employees are THE product that is bringing in BILLIONS of dollars a year in revenue. That being said, if the players weren't around, the NFL wouldn't have a product to put on TV. Just as if there were no actors, there would be no movies for us to watch. Different actors get paid higher amounts of money for their movies, because those actors bring MORE people to the theater. Peyton Manning isn't even the Highest paid QB in the league (I believe he's fourth). But players like Mike Vick, Barry Sanders, Peyton Manning, and many others BRING players to the stadium. People that wouldn't normally go to a football game, go so that they can see Brett Farve play at their home-town stadium. They go so that they can actually see Barry Sanders run in person.. or watch Peyton Manning throw the football.

You might feel that they are overpaid, but the reality is.. they aren't. Their skills as an athlete bring in HUGE profits for the owners of the corporation.. thus EARNING that kind of money. Until they start having pay-per-view channels to watch live war.. where the soldiers are actually bringing IN money.... then your statement is just nice words that sound good.

I believe that teachers deserve more money as well. But athletes are no more paid than actors that play in our movies or in our TV shows. Those actors bring in big money.. no different than the athletes on the field.

I brought up the mere fact that those that feel Manning and Sanders were "selfish" to be ignorant, because I find it humorous to suggest that YOU or anyone else would say at your job "no no.. I'm paid too much as it is, please don't give me more money." " I know that my name and face literally make you 10s of Millions per year, but really, you keep all that money and don't pay me extra for it."
I don't remember Peyton Manning making a single statement about contract negotiations or demanding more money. They PAID him that kind of money because he's THAT kind of draw to the team. His name literally pays for itself and then brings in profits on TOP of that. How is that being overpaid?

If you worked at a corporation, and YOU had a skill that no one else had, and you could not be replaced by ANYONE else in the world, and the corporation made MILLIONS upon TENS of MILLIONS of dollars from YOUR work... how much are you worth? How much is your work worth then?

Also.. I don't know how you figure football is meant to played by kids. It was a man's sport LONG before kids were allowed to play it. Is it because its competition, and you feel anything competitive is purely for children?

As far as the soldiers that have given their life in war.. past and present.... they have fought for the MERE reason as to give each and every person the right to earn their money in any enterprising field they wish. To give us a lifestyle that can enjoy movies, entertainment, and sports at our leisure. To give us the choices that so many in this world aren't given. I'm sorry. I find it insulting to hear someone state that they feel someone ELSE is selfish, simply because they are making a lot of money.

EddieMac
07-23-2007, 04:28 PM

Ya but he is more of a fourty cut guy one a one cut and go! :goofy:

Broncosinindy
07-23-2007, 04:44 PM
You know i hear alot of things in a previous post about barry sanders. how he would have never been good in our system due to him not being a good cutback runner. well the man had the speed for it and had the vision with out a doubt. and i watched a few of his highlight reels in college. when he had a fullback he was ten yards past the whole by the time the linebackers would have filled. he would have been lights out in this system. i dare you all to find highlights on him in college.

omac
07-23-2007, 10:45 PM
That sounds sweet and patriotic and so very PC... but it just isn't realistic. Money doesn't come on trees and just can't be given out without it coming from somewhere. People pay to see movies and actors/actresses get paid 25 million for a movie. Maybe you don't think they deserve that kind of money simply for acting. Bill Gates has made billions because he developed a software.. maybe you don't think that he should get paid that kind of money simply for piddling around on a computer.

I'm guessing the owners of the NFL teams would also wish that the players don't make so much money..that way they can make more. Here's the reality of it. People PAY to see the games, because they want to SEE those players. The reason that players get paid so much money, is because like any unionized corporation, a certain % of the profits go BACk to the employees. In this case, the very employees are THE product that is bringing in BILLIONS of dollars a year in revenue. That being said, if the players weren't around, the NFL wouldn't have a product to put on TV. Just as if there were no actors, there would be no movies for us to watch. Different actors get paid higher amounts of money for their movies, because those actors bring MORE people to the theater. Peyton Manning isn't even the Highest paid QB in the league (I believe he's fourth). But players like Mike Vick, Barry Sanders, Peyton Manning, and many others BRING players to the stadium. People that wouldn't normally go to a football game, go so that they can see Brett Farve play at their home-town stadium. They go so that they can actually see Barry Sanders run in person.. or watch Peyton Manning throw the football.

You might feel that they are overpaid, but the reality is.. they aren't. Their skills as an athlete bring in HUGE profits for the owners of the corporation.. thus EARNING that kind of money. Until they start having pay-per-view channels to watch live war.. where the soldiers are actually bringing IN money.... then your statement is just nice words that sound good.

I believe that teachers deserve more money as well. But athletes are no more paid than actors that play in our movies or in our TV shows. Those actors bring in big money.. no different than the athletes on the field.

I brought up the mere fact that those that feel Manning and Sanders were "selfish" to be ignorant, because I find it humorous to suggest that YOU or anyone else would say at your job "no no.. I'm paid too much as it is, please don't give me more money." " I know that my name and face literally make you 10s of Millions per year, but really, you keep all that money and don't pay me extra for it."
I don't remember Peyton Manning making a single statement about contract negotiations or demanding more money. They PAID him that kind of money because he's THAT kind of draw to the team. His name literally pays for itself and then brings in profits on TOP of that. How is that being overpaid?

If you worked at a corporation, and YOU had a skill that no one else had, and you could not be replaced by ANYONE else in the world, and the corporation made MILLIONS upon TENS of MILLIONS of dollars from YOUR work... how much are you worth? How much is your work worth then?

Also.. I don't know how you figure football is meant to played by kids. It was a man's sport LONG before kids were allowed to play it. Is it because its competition, and you feel anything competitive is purely for children?

As far as the soldiers that have given their life in war.. past and present.... they have fought for the MERE reason as to give each and every person the right to earn their money in any enterprising field they wish. To give us a lifestyle that can enjoy movies, entertainment, and sports at our leisure. To give us the choices that so many in this world aren't given. I'm sorry. I find it insulting to hear someone state that they feel someone ELSE is selfish, simply because they are making a lot of money.

Great post! I agree with every point. I was thinking of highlighting some of the statements, but upon reading it again, I'd probably highlight the whole thing. Excellent post! :rockon:

Anikai
07-23-2007, 10:54 PM
Too Bad we never got Lawrence Taylor.

Morambar
07-24-2007, 04:43 AM
:laugh: I was thinking maybe the guy that used to present the NFL's coverage over here, Frank Gifford..........used to be pretty good, didn't he?
I'd much rather have Hornung. And, no, I don't see Barry coming back, though he was a wonder to behold in his day. Yeah, he lost a lot of yardage, but he did it playing behind garbage Lion lines. I think he could adapt well to the cut and go style--but not in 2007. As far as the "greed" thing goes, there's something to be said there, and knowing your worth isn't the same as demanding all you can get. I like to point to the year Emmit held out the first two weeks of the season because he couldn't stand Thurman Thomas having a bigger contract, so Aikman gave BACK part of the contract he'd signed the previous year, for the good of the team. Kinda like when Rod restructured last year. I'm not gonna knock on Barry or Emmit (much) for that, but stories like that just underscore the kind of classy people (not just players) Rod and Aikman are.

rogue719
07-24-2007, 05:37 AM

On top of that, aren't the rights to Barry still owned by the Lions?

gobroncsnv
08-01-2007, 09:18 PM
hes definetly top 10 i think barry was a freak though. as was emmit. walter payton. not takeing ANYTHING from LT but there was some good runners before him.

You did see the smiley I posted was a wink, didn't you?? I do think LT is really good, but not head and shoulders above all others, even in the league right now. He's just really good, in my opinion, but there have been better to come along.

KCLadyFan
08-01-2007, 09:42 PM
I always enjoyed watching Sanders play....problem was he played

for the Lions...it would of been good to see him play on another team

that had other stars besides him...

and people think its crazy to even hear about Holmes making

a comeback...

xX-Bronco-Xx
08-01-2007, 09:45 PM
Barry Sanders makes Reggie Bush look like a cucumber.

A freakin cucumber.