PDA

View Full Version : 7/29 AM Practice Analysis

Prodigal19
07-29-2007, 11:46 AM
So I guess Ill get right to it.

QBs - Simply put Cutler looked awesome out there. All of his passes were crisp and extremely accurate. He was calm in the pocket and made made good decisions. he also looked very confident. I really didn't see any flaws at all. He really didn't throw the deep ball much, but mostly because of great coverage and I'm sure the coaches are trying o get him to play it safe for now.

Ramsey, on the other hand, was another story. We better hope that Cutler doesnt get hurt this season. Ramsey was quite inaccurate in many of his passes and also was jumpy in the pocket.The only thing he did that impressed me was he drew the entire defensive line offsides with his voice once.

I didn't see Parsons or hackney play too much from what I saw they both looked pretty good.

RBs-
One the most impressive players in my mind was Mike Bell. Just like last year in training camp he was quite impressive. He made great cuts and looked very quick in the backfield. Henry looked good as well, but not as good as Bell. However this is just training camp and since Henry is more of the type of player that is going to run through tackles you don't really see that here.
Cecil Sapp also looked pretty good, but like Henry, he is more of a run-you-over back, so it was tough to judge him.
I only saw Selvin Young on one run where he looked okay, but nothing spectacular.

OLine- I didnt really watch the Offensive line yhat much, but it looks like Kuper was starting at RG and Pears at RT. Lepsis was also back in the line. From what i saw the line looked pretty much impenetrable and protected cutler well.

WRs - Javon Walker looked great out there. The ball didn't go his way too many times, but he caught it just about every time it did. A scary moment, about half way through practice Javon collided with a defensive player (I think webster) and both players were on the ground for a good minute or 2. I guess they hit heads. Javon ended up being fine though and went back in. Javon's most impressive catch was on a short out route from Cutler. javon turned around to catch it, but the defender got a hand in to break up the pass, but the ball popped up in the air and javon sprinted for the ball catching it and got the first down. Very good awareness on his part.

The only deep pass of the day went from Cutler to Kircus who made a nice catch for the TD. Kircus looked pretty good overall out there.

Lining opposite of Javon was Stokley whom didn't really do much, but caught every pass I saw thrown to him (was just 1 or 2 short cutback routes).

Hixon looked very good. He did have 1 drop, but he caught everything else and also ran a reverse. He seemed to do a good job getting open.

Edit: here is a video of the tipped catch by javon. Thank you to aaronheeb for the video.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2M4RfrgQYQ

TEs - The second player I was very impressed with was Daniel Graham. Dan seemed to have more passes his way than anyone and caught all of them. I truly think that he is going to get a ton of catches this year. I didnt notice how he did blocking wise. Stephen Alexander also looked pretty good and made a few good catches. Teyo Johnson is a big guy, but I dont expect him to make the roster. He had 1 short catch and dropped another easy pass. That is about all I saw him do.

DLine - The starting Defensive line was Ekuban, Warren, Sam Adams and... John Engelberger??? Somebody correct me if Im wrong, but Im almost sure I saw John out there with the first string DLine. They also ran a few dime packages with the DLine being Jarvis Moss and Dumervil on the outside and Warren and ekuban on the inside. Similar to last year. Overall the defensive ends sure seems to line up a lot wider than it has in years past. This is of course expected in Jim Bates scheme.
The coaches are really treating Moss like a first rounder and seemed to spend extra time coaching him. I didnt really watch the DLine the closely so I cant really say how well players played. Moss looked quick of the line though. Both sam adams and jimmy kennedy seem are large and seemed very strong in the drills.

LBs - The first string LBs were DJ Williams, Ian Gold, and Warrick Holdman. The only thing that I am worried about with our LBs is how good they will be in coverage. Most of Cutler's passes were short to Graham or a RB. Now that I think of it we threw that ball to our RBs quite a bit and they were always complete. All of our backup LBs were quite unimpressive. I was hoping for more out of Vaughn who looked slow and bad in coverage.

CBs - With out a doubt this is the strength of our defense. The QBs didnt even throw at champ I believe he had an int one pass though but I was getting water at the time. Bly looked great as well. The only passes completed againt him were very short passes and Bly was always right there. I watched him quite a bit and he always seemed to stay with the WRs step for step. Foxworth was the nickel back and also played as a starter for the second string CBs. From what I remember he looked very good. Paymah was beat a few times, but really didnt look bad. he made a few good plays on the ball and was inconsistent but overall pretty good. The QBs weren't really taking any chances and played very safe so the chances for interceptions were rare.

Safeties - Personally I have no problem with Lynch and Ferguson as our starting safeties. Today they were the vocal leaders of our defense and pretty much let everyone know what was going on. Both looked good in coverage and pretty much every other aspect of the game. Another safety I was impressed with was Hamzah Abdullah. He always seemed to be around the ball and played very well overall. Cox was the dime back but I didn't watch him at all.

Overall i was quite impressed with the team. Is hard to judge players with no pads, but I still got an idea of the talent we have and I really expect us to be a good team :)

Buff_bronc_fan
07-29-2007, 11:57 AM
Nice I love all the 1st hand accounts...

Couple questions--

You said Kuper at RT and Pears at RG, I thought it was the revers, Pears at RT and Kuper at RG... Can you clear that up??

Does Ferguson look 100% out there?

Any sight of the guys on the PUP list on the sideline or otherwise??: Smith, Scheffler, Marshall??

Prodigal19
07-29-2007, 12:01 PM
Nice I love all the 1st hand accounts...

Couple questions--

You said Kuper at RT and Pears at RG, I thought it was the revers, Pears at RT and Kuper at RG... Can you clear that up??

Does Ferguson look 100% out there?

Any sight of the guys on the PUP list on the sideline or otherwise??: Smith, Scheffler, Marshall??

whoops, my mistake, Kuper is RG and Pears is RT. Fixed :)
Also, I hadnt realized how big Pears is. Kuper too. The both looked great though.

Yup, Ferguson looked healthy and cheerful :) he even ran over to the sidelines at one point to give some kids high fives. I wouldn't be worried about him at all.

I didnt see any of the PUP guys on the sideline, but I didn't really look for them so they may have been there.

D3N7ER 8r0I\I<05
07-29-2007, 12:01 PM
Kircus always looks good in practice. When is that going to translate to the games?

BroncFanIN
07-29-2007, 12:02 PM
moved :D

Very good report! Thanks for the fix. Football season is here! :beer:

aaronheeb
07-29-2007, 12:02 PM
Ferguson did look good out there... i didnt see anything wrong with him at all..

that was my video btw... lol, i JUST got that up there, man how news travels fast!

And ya, for the collision, it was Webster who hit Walker and they both were fine, no problems at all as they both saw action later...

superbowl42
07-29-2007, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the info. Seems like i have waited forever.
Did you happen to see andre Hall doing anything?
And did there seem to be a depth chart for RBs?

aaronheeb
07-29-2007, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the info. Seems like i have waited forever.
Did you happen to see andre Hall doing anything?
And did there seem to be a depth chart for RBs?

There really want a depth chart... Henry ran with the starting group and Bell got wuite a few carries... Sapp actually got wuite a few as well with Hall gettigng a few here and there.. But no real pecking order after travis hentry and mike bell...

CAH412
07-29-2007, 12:23 PM
Just for the record, that was Aaronheeb's video, I was just keeping folks at the Mane informed on what was being said over here.

Prodigal19
07-29-2007, 12:26 PM
oh okay thanks for the video aaron :) I hope you are okay with me posting it here.

Bowlensbest3233
07-29-2007, 12:47 PM
I'm glued to the screen. Keep the reports coming for those of us that are stuck in places other than God's country.

Prodigal19
07-29-2007, 01:10 PM
I'm glued to the screen. Keep the reports coming for those of us that are stuck in places other than God's country.

dont forget to check out kaylore's camp report over at the orange mane :)
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=58803

rbk_bronco
07-29-2007, 01:39 PM
I honestly do thin Hamza will take Lynch's spot when he packs it in, also I think he will be able to take Brandon's spot if he works at it.

Javalon
07-29-2007, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the report! Keep up the great work. :beer:

PurdueBronc
07-29-2007, 02:04 PM
Thanks for you analysis. Glad to see Cutler looking crisp and Graham getting some looks as a receiver. Let's hope their progression continues.

Dream
07-29-2007, 03:13 PM
Fantastic work man, hopefully I can meet up with all of you next year in Denver and we can go out as a Broncomania/Mane crew and have some drinks or something.

Thanks for the hard work you put into this.