View Full Version : Gary Miller's Broncos Training Camp Update: 7/31

cutlerfan
07-31-2007, 11:31 AM
Gary Miller's Broncos Training Camp Update: 7/31
Free CBS4 Broncos Insiders text alerts -- text 4broncos to 66247

http://cbs4denver.com/sports/local_story_212133441.html

Gary Miller
Reporting

(CBS4) ENGLEWOOD, Colo. The Denver Broncos are starting to get some bumps and bruises after 3 days of hard hitting practices. Ian Gold sat out Tuesday morning's session with a sore lower back and Domenik Hixon sat out most of the workout after suffering a bruised shoulder.

Both injuries are considered minor.

Ian is out with a lower back spasm," head coach Mike Shanahan said. "We kept him out today. He should be back tomorrow. (WR) Domenik Hixon had a slight first-degree shoulder separation, at least that was Steves (Broncos Head Athletic Trainer Steve Antonopulos) first thought. Were going to do an MRI on him to make sure, but we dont think its too serious but were going to let you know soon after the MRI.

David Kircus made the play of the morning, hauling in a long pass and breaking away from the secondary to score a touchdown.

David shows flashes," Shanahan said. "Hes a little inconsistent. He drops the ball a few too many times, but he does come up with the big play. That consistency dictates whether or not you get a chance to play come game time. But David does show flashes and hopefully that consistency will improve and if it does improve he will have a chance to be on the football team.

Both Travis Henry and Mike Bell continue to run with speed and power.

Weve got some great competition," Shanahan said. "Weve got a lot of guys that have a lot of ability, and a lot of these younger guys that havent been with us are getting some practice time. So in this short time, well see who steps up.

D.J. Williams said he's adjusting well to his new middle linebacker position.

Ive got huge shoes to fill," Williams said. "Al (Wilson) played the position last year. He was all-pro and a great linebacker. They expect me to be that caliber of player.

He said he enjoys being in the middle of the action and is becoming more of a vocal leader too.

Youve got to keep all the guys up," Williams said. "You can never be down because the defense needs a lot of energy. This year Im a lot more vocal. Last year, I may give one or two calls or checks. This year Im speaking in the huddle every down and when the huddle breaks, Im lining up guys and giving off checks.

Daniel Graham continues to impress with his all-round game. He's a great blocker and reliable receiver. Graham said this is a hard hitting camp but he really appreciates not being in pads every practice the way he was during his time in New England.

I cant say Im more impressed, but one of the reasons we signed (Graham) to the contract we did was because we liked the way he played and we like the way he handled himself," Shanahan said. "You just dont know for sure until the guy comes into camp and see how he works and how he attacks the meeting rooms and how he attacks the football field. You can say hes a pros pro. He comes here to work every day and has a lot of discipline and hes practice quite well.

The Broncos have another full squad practice Tuesday afternoon at 3:50 p.m.

BroncFanIN
07-31-2007, 11:47 AM
I'm glad to hear that DJ Williams is stepping up and being a more active leader. Like he said, its hard to fill Big Al's shoes. It'll be good to have a young leader on the defensive side of the ball.

And I am stoked to see Graham play. He's been getting a lot of praise.

GO Broncos! :beer:

Kaylore
07-31-2007, 12:00 PM
Gary Miller curses like a sailor in real life. I was kind of disappointed to see him behave that way.

BroncFanIN
07-31-2007, 12:52 PM
Gary Miller curses like a sailor in real life. I was kind of disappointed to see him behave that way.

really? :huh: I wouldnt expect that. He seems like a nice guy. He's been in sports for as long as I can remember. That is disappointing to hear.

muse
07-31-2007, 01:44 PM
Yeah, I'm glad DJ's stepping up because I always noticed that he seemed to be a bit quiet. I'll be thrilled if he can even begin stepping up to Al's level. He's got great support from Ian in that department too which should help him a lot.

Kaylore
07-31-2007, 01:57 PM
really? :huh: I wouldnt expect that. He seems like a nice guy. He's been in sports for as long as I can remember. That is disappointing to hear.

Yeah, it surprised me. A lot of these reporters have potty mouthes. I'll refrain from naming names but it would surprise you. I will say that Andrew Mason has always been gentleman in my three years of seeing him at camp.

BroncFanIN
07-31-2007, 02:08 PM
Yeah, I'm glad DJ's stepping up because I always noticed that he seemed to be a bit quiet. I'll be thrilled if he can even begin stepping up to Al's level. He's got great support from Ian in that department too which should help him a lot.

MLB is a very active position, and I'm stoked to see what he can do this season.

broncos4ever
07-31-2007, 02:18 PM
Thanks for posting this Cutler Fan.:D

SimonSteele
07-31-2007, 05:38 PM
Looks like to me that ol' Kircus boy is on his way out. That snippet from Shanny suggests to me they aren't too happy with David. I mean he basically said Kircus can't catch the ball and he needs to hold onto it more if he wants a CHANCE at making the team.

I think Kircus is a trouble maker so that's good news for me!

kratos_godofwar
07-31-2007, 07:07 PM
Poor Hixon, dude can't stay healthy. I have hopes for him as a returner. Hopefully he can recover soon.

Snapping Turtle
07-31-2007, 07:09 PM
In other news.....I, Snapping Turtle, went to high school with Gary's daughter. She was sooo friggin spoiled.