PDA

View Full Version : Kaylore and SoCalBronco - (7/31) AM Practice Notes

Dream
07-31-2007, 11:55 AM
They're having some trouble getting this on the front page of the Mane, so I'll post it here. Remember, give these guys some shouts over on their message board. Updates coming, the board is really slow over there. . . but please, SUPPORT OUR MANERS! :D

First one is courtesy of SoCalBronco!

7/31 AM Report: Rookies Thomas, Crowder impress in drills, little injuries continue to plague Broncos

Summary: The Broncos took to the field Tuesday morning in their third day of training camp practice. Wide Receiver Domenik Hixon suffered a first degree shoulder seperation during practice and LB Ian Gold was held out of practice with back spasms. Thankfully, both injuries are considered minor. On the field, Travis Henry continues to stand out as does the pass defense in general. Rookies Marcus Thomas and Tim Crowder stood out in drills.

QUARTERBACKS

Jay Cutler did not match his outstanding prior two days of practice. He had some balls flutter out of bounds on sideline routes and overshot a couple deep routes. He also did not quite have the outstanding accuracy that he displayed the last two days, having some balls deflected in the middle of the field. He had many good throws too ofcourse, showing very good velocity in connecting with David Kircus and had a really nice throw to Domenik Hixon which was dropped. I would give him a B- for the morning practice. Backup QB Patrick Ramsey was a little bit better than he was the last two days and had a really nice pass to Stephen Alexander on a middle post, which was unfortunately dropped. Overall however, Ramsey still struggled with accuracy and pocket presence. The quarterbacks worked on a number of bubble screens and jailbreak screens today.

RUNNING BACKS

As expected, Travis Henry continues to lead the pack among the running backs. He continues to show good power and actually had a nice burst of speed today on outside run plays, beating the defense to the corner on a few occasions. He has really gotten into a good groove now that he has gotten used to the tendencies of his offensive line. Mike Bell rebounded to have a solid, but not spectacular day, showing good elusiveness in traffic, but did not show the explosiveness in hitting the hole that he did on the initial day of practice (Sunday). Cecil Sapp had a quiet day as did the other backups with the exception of one Andre Hall run.

WIDE RECEIVERS AND TIGHT ENDS

After practice, Coach Shanahan revealed that Domenik Hixon had suffered a slight shoulder separation and would have an MRI. Hixon had a notable drop in practice before he got hurt. The receivers and tight ends today had a hard time getting open and when they did they were not very sure handed. Virtually everyone dropped at least one ball, with Stephen Alexander dropping three. Dan Graham also had a quiet day in the passing game. The team really needs Tony Scheffler to come back as soon as possible as well as Brandon Marshall. The tight ends have posed very little of a intermediate or downfield threat to the back seven so far, especially today. Javon Walker and David Kircus did have their moments though. Kircus had a really nice juke on Dre Bly in space on a jailbreak screen, while Walker had a very impressive downfield reception. Brandon Stokley was given the morning off.

OFFENSIVE LINE

I paid a good deal more attention to the line drills today to get a good look at our linemen. Rookie Mark Fenton struggled, especially against Marcus Thomas, and Chris Kuper had a tough morning, getting beat by Kennedy once and also Tim Crowder. I thought Ryan Harris got a little better today which was promising. He got the better of Dumervil on a couple of occasions and Lepsis absolutely stoned Dumervil as well. Myers had trouble with Thomas among others. Backup Jacob Rogers was not too bad which was promising. I also liked what I saw from Montrae Holland today, he got the better of Ekuban and some others. Khan observed that Pears was also doing better when he focused on him, which is good to see as he had been struggling the last few days (especially against Moss). Greg Eslinger continues to get overpowered even by second and third teamers such as Antwon Burton.

DEFENSIVE LINE

Jim Bates went out of his way to praise Tim Crowder today for his leverage and positioning during the drills. He beat more than a few of the offensive linemen today in drills, although I did not notice him too much in the live 9 on 9 and 11 on 11 action. Marcus Thomas also impressed in drills with his power and also some of his moves when for example, he abused Chris Myers. He also had some impact in the live situations chasing down runners and getting some push. Jarvis Moss got owned a few times in the run game in 9 on 9 action, one time specifically by Alexander but in the drills he was a little bit better after getting some coaching by Bates among others. I am telling you folks I think Engleberger is going to make it. He seems to be a goods fit for this system and does a really nice job containing versus the run. I did not see any of the tackles distinguishing themselves too much today although Adams continues to holds the point well, Kennedy was ok in drills and McKinley finally made an appearance.

LINEBACKERS

The backers were very good in pass coverage today. There were several occasions where the QB had to just start running because nothing was there. I did not really notice any of them getting into the offensive backfield too much however, a few of them had stuffs at or slightly past the line, including DD Lewis, DJ, Holdman and Webster. The starting linebacking trio with Ian out consisted of Louis Green at WILL, DJ at MIKE and Webster at SAM. The competition at SAM takes a new turn every day with different players getting 1st team reps. So far, I like DD Lewis the best, but Holdman has done a good job taking on blocks (but isnt too quick). Webster has made some plays also when he has gotten in there. I noticed that Green was getting handled when the linemen got to him on the second level.

SECONDARY

Very strong again. Bly ripped a ball out of a receiverís hands and Bailey scooped up the fumble and took off. Both of them continue to be very hard to get open against. Paymah looked very good in man coverage again. For two or three consecutive plays, I focused exclusively on him and he really held Hixon up at the line very well (before he got hurt) and did well on jams against Martinez and Morgan. Foxworth had a good practice, which he needed. He had at least one pass deflection. Steve Cargile really stood out as a pass defender as did Jeff Shoate which was surprising. Shoate almost intercepted Cutler when he was slightly behind on throwing a middle post down the field. Shoate also had a couple other pass deflections. Ferguson remains very, very quiet at this camp.

socalorado1
07-31-2007, 12:02 PM
NICE POST! THANKS MAN!!

SECONDARY

Very strong again. Bly ripped a ball out of a receiverís hands and Bailey scooped up the fumble and took off. Both of them continue to be very hard to get open against. Paymah looked very good in man coverage again. For two or three consecutive plays, I focused exclusively on him and he really held Hixon up at the line very well (before he got hurt) and did well on jams against Martinez and Morgan. Foxworth had a good practice, which he needed. He had at least one pass deflection. Steve Cargile really stood out as a pass defender as did Jeff Shoate which was surprising. Shoate almost intercepted Cutler when he was slightly behind on throwing a middle post down the field. Shoate also had a couple other pass deflections. Ferguson remains very, very quiet at this camp

So what would you say about these guys? Other than Chanmp and Dre it sounds like Paymah is just flat out looking like the guy that Shanny had envisioned him to be. Do you think Foxy goes to FS?

Also, what is up with Hixon, jeez this guy is ALWAYS injured. Kinda getting tired of this guy, sounds like he has "Tatum Bell syndrome."

Dream
07-31-2007, 12:04 PM
Kaylore's Report On Day 3

The third morning practice of camp was underway and the general routine was the same. The progression from position drills to units and then entire teams was as it was on Sunday morning.

The defense got the better of the offense today. They are starting to come together and it was more difficult for any team on offense to put something substantive together. The linebackers were noticeably better not giving up very many underneath routes and generally playing the run very well.

Hixon was out with a mild separation and he will be having an MRI to determine the severity. Stokely was resting and will play this afternoon. Ian Gold was out with back spasms. Louis Green filled in nicely in his place.

Well letís get things underway.

Punters Ė The Punters spent a great deal of time working on holding, runing onto the field and their form when they kick.

Todd Sauerbrun: Todd takes to coaching very well. He was not stepping into his punts with proper form. Scott OíBrien showed him better foot placement and Todd replicated it perfectly immediately. His technique release are still the best.

Paul Ernster: Ernster has to work on his release and how he holds the ball leading up to it. His form needs some polishing too, but itís good to see the detail of this coaching. I donít remember seeing them cover things so specific last year. Hopefully it helps the kicking game overall.

Defensive Backs Ė I had a better look at the defensive backs and havenít had a chance to cover them so Iíll do so now. I really think our depth is some of the best in the league. Slowik understands how to coach a secondary and it shows in the growth Iíve seen in players like Foxworth and Paymah from year to year.

Champ Bailey: Bailey is still the same old self. I noticed that heís actually very good when he jams and this probably because of his size. One surprise was that Quincy Morgan of all people beat him in the red zone for a touchdown during goaline drills. He was the only receiver to do so today.

Dre Bly: The most impressive thing about Bly is that he is a leader on and off the field. He congratulates and supports his teammates and he plays full speed when heís on the field. Iím impressed with how physical he is. Brian Clark beat him on a crossing route and Bly jumped in and forced a fumble that Bailey recovered. Even when the completion is made, Bly does everything to make something positive happen on defense.

Karl Paymah: Keep an eye on him. Heís really thriving in the new style of defense and heís much more confident than he was in previous years. His size and athleticism are impressive and he was making several plays in drills and scrimmages. Heís very physical and very good at jamming. He seems to struggle when he gets beat to the outside right shoulder and this could be because he usually lines up on the left.

Dominique Foxworth: Foxworth had a couple of really nice jams today. I think if he bulked up he could play safety pretty well. He has good recognition in zone and is better at understanding what routes are available for receivers depending on their body positioning and where theyíre at. He doesnít recover as well as I remember and could play more physical.

Hamza Abdullah: I really like Abdullah and Cox who are the backups to Lynch and Ferguson. Abdullah lays the wood when he hits and has shown great pursuit in run drills. I like how he warps up and tries to get a good pop now and again. His coverage is pretty good too.

Curome Cox: Cox is more of a coverage guy, but he plays very physical and is comfortable in a zone, which is helpful. Heís very aggressive at making plays on the ball and often tries to punch the ball out of the ball carrierís hand. His speed is pretty good too and he doesnít bite on play action too much.

Jeff Shoate: He had a decent practice. He dropped a sure interception but was at least in the right place at the right time and closed on the ball correctly. Not a bad dime back at all and I think heís often overlooked.

Receivers Ė There werenít many out there today. So many are hurt and it has me worried should they not be able to come back in time to take some reps.

David Kircus: Kircus had a good day, but he really only runs slants very well and against the jam and on deep plays he is less than productive. He did juke Lynch and break a slant for a score on one play.

Quincy Morgan: Morgan is actually a pretty big guy (6í1Ē, 220) and is good about using his size to box defenders out. He made some decent catches today beating out Bailey and Bly and was the first team return guy on special teams.

Brian Clark: We have a Brian Clark sighting. Brian made some decent catches and is starting to show the progress I remember from last camp. His size and body control are impressive. However he had to go do one handed catches on the jugs machine for the fumble that Bly forced that I mentioned earlier.

Javon Walker: Walker played hard and won some battles but he didnít get many opportunities. The QBís and offensive line were struggling to get passes off and many times the coverage was very solid. I really think his going against our corners so much is going to make him into monster against teams with lesser secondary talent (which is pretty much everyone but Oakland).

Quarterbacks Ė The quarterbacks were all pretty average today. I think they were struggling to adjust to the defense and solid coverage.

Jay Cutler: Cutler had an off day today. He overthrew Kircus on a deep pattern and was unable to even get a first down during a two minute drill. The protection has been better, but our receivers are pretty average with Hixon, Stokely, Smith and Marshall all resting this morning. It was not an easy day for him. No interceptions to speak of, but not as crisp as I was used to.

Patrick Ramsey: He was a little better today. He made some decent throws and his timing is getting a bit better. His protection isnít great and he doesnít step up into the pocket like he should. Generally he looks skittish but I was pleased to see some improvement over yesterday.

Defensive Linemen Ė The linemen are really growing in the drills and the rookies were drawing high praise from Bates who personally watches and coaches many of the drills himself with Bill Johnson.

Jarvis Moss: I will have a piece later on Moss as he answered questions after practice today. As far as his practice he was having some struggles early on. He was using a lot of the speed moves that were helping him yesterday, but the offensive linemen were ready for them this time around. He took some coaching and came back with more power rush moves and was able to get through again. Then he started mixing it up with the two styles. He really is very talented and is able to immediately apply what he is taught.

Tim Crowder: Crowder understands the concepts very well and is able to replicate them into his own style of play. Bates called him ďplayer of the dayĒ after he beat his man in pass rushing drills a couple times. He plays with good pad level and gets leverage. His only knock is he is not very quick or fast.

Elvis Dumervil: Dumervil plays very hard and has a high motor. I still like how he uses his hands and arms. The other linemen are learning how to neutralize him, and unfortunately that is starting to show when he gets beat.

Marcus Thomas: Thomas is making some progress as well. Right now he is more situational in how heís used as heís more of a penetrator than a clogger. He is extremely athletic but very polite. We had a chance to talk to him after practice as well and he was very low key.

Ebenezer Ekuban: Ekuban made some real strides this morning from yesterday and I think youíre starting to see progress in understanding the new system. He beat Lepsis pretty bad to the inside on one move and has a good balance. Iím very curious how heíll do in this scheme during the regular season.

John Engelberger: Engelberger was taking snaps on third team, though I saw him in the first team as well. My first thought was that he was demoted, but then I know they like rotate players in and out, so Iím not sure whatís going on there. I didnít really see him much today.

Sam Adams: Adams is going to start opening day. Heís disruptive, strong, heady and stout and point of attack. He fatigues and that would be my only knock on him. Heís even better in pursuit than I remembered.

Dream
07-31-2007, 12:05 PM
Offensive Line – The line had a better day overall as they had made some adjustments to the rush. Their pass protection in particular was better. One advantage of practice is you familiarize yourself with your teammates strengths and weaknesses and this allows you to be more prepared from day to day.

Chris Kuper: Chris had a tough day today. He got pushed off the ball at one point, though it wasn’t as bad as his body language made it seem. He also got beat inside and had a false start in move the ball. I think he was in a bit of a funk because usually he does very well and the coaches praise him but today I saw neither good play nor praise.

Ben Hamilton: Hamilton did a better job of getting underneath the pads of guys. Pretty much everyone he plays in passing situations knows to bull rush him and so he’s going to see that a lot until he gets more strength to get underneath and push them out of attack posture.

Ryan Harris: Harris did much better today. His showing more sureness in his feet planting and he is good about trying to force defenders to play his way. Good hands and quickness. He is decent in the rushing game and pass protection but just needs to work on his consistency. I think in a year he’ll have a better feel for the game.

Emmanuel Akah: Akah is playing very well and I hope the coaches notice. He’s my sleeper to make the team. He has good size and strength and has consistently been pretty decent in all areas. If he can play in field goals he could earn a spot, maybe.

Well that’s all for now. Look for what I missed in SoCal’s report, which will be posted along with this one!

AND AS ALWAYS, SUPPORT THESE GUYS (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)

SBboundBRONCOS
07-31-2007, 12:08 PM
NICE POST! THANKS MAN!!

SECONDARY

Very strong again. Bly ripped a ball out of a receiverís hands and Bailey scooped up the fumble and took off. Both of them continue to be very hard to get open against. Paymah looked very good in man coverage again. For two or three consecutive plays, I focused exclusively on him and he really held Hixon up at the line very well (before he got hurt) and did well on jams against Martinez and Morgan. Foxworth had a good practice, which he needed. He had at least one pass deflection. Steve Cargile really stood out as a pass defender as did Jeff Shoate which was surprising. Shoate almost intercepted Cutler when he was slightly behind on throwing a middle post down the field. Shoate also had a couple other pass deflections. Ferguson remains very, very quiet at this camp

So what would you say about these guys? Other than Chanmp and Dre it sounds like Paymah is just flat out looking like the guy that Shanny had envisioned him to be. Do you think Foxy goes to FS?

Also, what is up with Hixon, jeez this guy is ALWAYS injured. Kinda getting tired of this guy, sounds like he has "Tatum Bell syndrome."

relax its training camp and it said to not be very serious + hes not the only one, but these guys say shanny is looking for them to give it full speed, so i imagine that not being tackled for well over a year makes you a little rusty when it comes to taking the hits.

and since its just camp if there is a little bit of pain id image they have them sit out no matter what, why take a chance when its not needed give them a few days to get accustomed to the speed and hits again and i think everybody will be back out there with the exception of Rod

but anyways im more concered about marshall he gets better and than a new injury happens i think he'll be fine too though

topscribe
07-31-2007, 12:13 PM
DREAM, YOU NEED TO WATCH YOUR MANERS!! :laugh:

Seriously, thanks. :cheers:

-----

socalorado1
07-31-2007, 12:27 PM
relax its training camp and it said to not be very serious + hes not the only one, but these guys say shanny is looking for them to give it full speed, so i imagine that not being tackled for well over a year makes you a little rusty when it comes to taking the hits.

and since its just camp if there is a little bit of pain id image they have them sit out no matter what, why take a chance when its not needed give them a few days to get accustomed to the speed and hits again and i think everybody will be back out there with the exception of Rod

but anyways im more concered about marshall he gets better and than a new injury happens i think he'll be fine too though

I am more concerned about Marshall as well, but i am also concerned for the Broncos WR corps. Sounds like so far Walker and Stokley are our best guys. The rest walk out on to the field and pull a hammy!!! Unbelievable.
The reason i bring this up is because of the long (real long) list of draft pick failures at WR. I mean its embarassing!! Kinda sick of these frail WRs always having some minor problem that keeps them off the field.
The 1 good aspect to take away from all this is Stokley!! This guy was seriously injured and it seems he hasnt lost a step!! Thats good news!!

BroncFanIN
07-31-2007, 12:49 PM
As always, thanks for the awesome reporting :cheers:

It sounds like our Defense is going to be killer. I get goosebumps when I read how good our secondary is :shake:

LDB
07-31-2007, 12:55 PM
You know what is really sad? The media reporters get paid to report this stuff and they can't touch Kaylore and SoCal's stuff. "Oh yeah, Broncos reported to camp. Some guys showed up. Stokley made some catches. Cutler threw some balls. Lynch made some hits. In other news..."

Just shows you that fans are more passionate and usually more knowledgable about their teams than most reporters. Keep up the excellent work Kaylore and SoCal. It is much appreciated. :salute:

muse
07-31-2007, 01:56 PM
The OL sounds a little shaky right now but I guess it's always like this at the beginning of camp. Plus they've got new faces starting so there's always going to be a bit of tough transition.

Orange Cru$h
07-31-2007, 02:14 PM
You know what is really sad? The media reporters get paid to report this stuff and they can't touch Kaylore and SoCal's stuff. "Oh yeah, Broncos reported to camp. Some guys showed up. Stokley made some catches. Cutler threw some balls. Lynch made some hits. In other news..."

Just shows you that fans are more passionate and usually more knowledgable about their teams than most reporters. Keep up the excellent work Kaylore and SoCal. It is much appreciated. :salute:

Very well said! You took the thoughts right out of my head.
Thanks Kaylore and SoCal. :cheers: