PDA

View Full Version : Jarious Jackson (if anyone cares)

ticatfan
08-02-2007, 01:26 PM
'MY WHOLE LIFE I'VE HAD TO BE PATIENT'
Thursday, August 2, 2007 - 03:00PM

By Lowell Ullrich,
Vancouver Province

If there is a common thread on the career path of Jarious Jackson, it's that no matter where he's gone at least one obstacle has always seemed to stop him from becoming a starting quarterback.

No more.

Like the marathon runner who breaks away from the pack, the best chance to lead has finally been presented to a 30-year-old player who can no longer be considered a neophyte in the form of his first career CFL start for the Lions.

No matter where he's played, Jackson has rarely been given a chance to lead. He had to wait his turn playing collegiately at Notre Dame. In the NFL, Jake Plummer was ahead of him and the Denver Broncos wanted to turn Jackson into a safety.

To the Lions, his start after spending the two seasons in either relief or on quarterback sneaks is a kind of reward for his patience.

"Every time he's been shunned he never let it show, and to finally get an opportunity to start, I know the players will rally around him," said coach Wally Buono, who claims he won't have Jackson on a short leash.

So much might have been different for Jackson, not only during the early stops in his career but when he was ahead of Buck Pierce and behind Casey Printers coming out of training camp three seasons ago.

Jackson got a preseason start but injured his thumb on the first play of the game, sending his fortunes tumbling. Printers eventually left for the NFL. Pierce got a six-figure contract extension from the Lions.

Jackson had to wait. Until tonight.

"So many things could have happened to my career and that's the ironic thing. My whole life I've had to be patient," Jackson said.

And he'll have to be the same way against the Riders, even though he knows they'll blitz and won't stop until the Lions prove they can be held off.

His tenure with the Lions has been long enough that unfamiliarity with the offence can't be an excuse, and whether Jackson has any success may depend on if he can calm himself.

"If you don't have any nerves going, you're probably dead," he said. Nervous? Well, why? All Jackson has to do is run the worst passing offence in the league and keep himself from getting hurt so the Lions don't have to use the convalescing Pierce or Gino Guidugli, an Arena Football 2 refugee.

"Hopefully [Jackson's] the spark to our offence," said Buono.

For once, at least, Jackson really doesn't have anyone looking over his shoulder.

http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=newser&func=display&nid=18599

underrated29
08-02-2007, 01:30 PM
i always liked him, he was just to inaccurate here. but one of my underdogs. a friend of mine knows all the broncos and i went to a party at her house with a bunch there. and let me tell you, that man can drink. woooweee.

go jj

Big Hock
08-02-2007, 01:36 PM
I allways liked him too, but it seems like he is in a no win situation.

All Jackson has to do is run the worst passing offence in the league

muse
08-02-2007, 02:07 PM
I think he would have been a fine backup but whenever he got on the field his nerves just got to him. Shame, because he did have some talent.

ticatfan
08-02-2007, 02:27 PM
I allways liked him too, but it seems like he is in a no win situation.Undefeated this year and their numbers suck,funny. They are the last years champs, and have a strong team,just not hitting their stride yet.
www.cfl.ca

ticatfan
08-02-2007, 02:28 PM
i always liked him, he was just to inaccurate here. but one of my underdogs. a friend of mine knows all the broncos and i went to a party at her house with a bunch there. and let me tell you, that man can drink. woooweee.

go jjHe will fit in well up here. lol

HuskerBronco7
08-02-2007, 09:16 PM
Funny you mention this, I was just watched him make his first start for the BC lions in the CFL

ticatfan
08-03-2007, 06:32 AM
http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=newser&func=display&nid=18610
ROUGHRIDERS 21, LIONS 9
SAM LEUNG/CFL

Friday, August 3, 2007 - 02:00AM

VANCOUVER (CP) - Kerry Joseph threw one touchdown and ran in another himself as the Saskatchewan Roughriders defeated the B.C. Lions 21-9 Thursday night to hand the defending Grey Cup champions their first loss of the CFL season.

The Riders used the running of Wes Cates and some key catches from wide receiver Matt Dominguez to improve their record to 4-2. Saskatchewan climbs to within two points of the first-place Lions in the CFL West.

Cates finished the game rushing for 103 yards on 17 carries. Dominguez had five catches for 89 yards.

Cates also made a touchdown-saving tackle on Ian Smart, who returned a wide field-goal attempt 93-yards late in the fourth quarter.

Many in the crowd of 31,858 were dressed in Rider green and they didn't go home disappointed as the Lions slipped to 5-1. It was the fourth time in five games the Riders have beaten the Lions at B.C. Place Stadium.

Joseph threw a 27-yard touchdown to D.J. Flick and scored himself on a one-yard plunge.

Kicker Luca Congi kicked field goals of 46 and 43 yards.

Third-string quarterback Jarious Jackson, who came off the bench three times this season to preserve Lions wins, was given the starting job due to injuries to Dave ****enson and Buck Pierce.

He hit Paris Jackson with an eight-yard touchdown pass and was intercepted three times.

Jarious Jackson struggled early, missing some open receivers. He had a promising fourth-quarter drive snuffed out when Airabin Justin stepped in front of a pass intended for Geroy Simon.

The Lions also failed to score on a third-and-goal with 100 seconds left when the Riders broke up a passing play.

Flick put the Riders ahead 15-8 with 20 seconds left in the first half. His touchdown was set up when defensive back Ryan Phillips was called for pass interference on Dominguez.

Dominguez made a pretty, 24-yard catch, grabbing the ball between two Lion defenders to set up the first Saskatchewan touchdown. Joseph put the Riders ahead 8-1 with a one-yard, third-down gamble.

The two Jacksons played pitch and catch on the Lions lone touchdown of the first half, a five-play, 70-yard drive.

Paris Jackson caught three passes on the drive, one for 35 yards and the other an eight-yard grab in the end zone.

Wally Buono, the Lions coach and general manager, was good on two challenges of referee's calls.

In the first half he had a Rider reception overturned. In the second, the Riders thought they had an interception but on further review it was ruled the player dropped the ball.

****enson has been sidelined with a concussion since taking a hit from Saskatchewan defensive end Fred Perry back on July 13, when the Lions beat the Riders 42-12.

The Lions said they wouldn't be looking for revenge against Perry and there was no retaliation during the game.

Pierce has an assortment of ailments, including sore ribs and a jammed toe and sore right hand.

Also not dressed for the Lions were defensive backs Korey Banks (ankle) and Sebastian Clovis (knee).

LIONS PAWS - Jarious Jackson's last start was in the 2002-03 season when he played with the Denver Broncos. ...****enson, wearing sunglasses, watched the game from the Lions bench. ...Heading into the game the Lions had 932 passing yards and were the only CFL team that hadn't thrown for 1,000 yards. ....Other Lions on the injury list include DB Dante Marsh (knee), LB Otis Floyd (abdominal strain), WR Tony Simmons (foot

ticatfan
09-17-2007, 02:18 PM
NewsNewsroom
Insight & Analysis
Official CFL Blogs
Press Releases
Community
Amateur
'PROMISED LAND' NOW AWAITS JACKSON
Monday, September 17, 2007 - 04:00PM

Buono says QB earned right to continue to lead charge

By Mike Beamish,
Vancouver Sun

Perhaps it's no longer out of mere necessity that Jarious Jackson continues as the starting quarterback of the B.C. Lions.

Buck Pierce is practising again and Dave ****enson continues to add to his workout load.

Jackson, however, gets the call again Saturday in Regina where the Lions will attempt to ward off the Roughriders' bid to reclaim first place in the CFL's West Division.

"We're riding the horse that's taken us to this point," Buono said Sunday, after reviewing a tape of Saturday's 40-7 win over the Toronto Argonauts. "I'm tickled pink with Jarious. Not that we want to show disrespect to anybody else, but he's earned the right to continue to lead the charge. He's going to lead us to the Promised Land. And the Promised Land is going into Regina and Mosaic Stadium this week and winning."

So it will be Jackson, playing the part of Teddy Roosevelt, leading the figurative charge up San Juan Hill, not with the Roughriders this time, but in command against them.

Thoughts of a three-headed quarterback controversy are looming in the distance if Jackson continues to build on his work, but it sure beats the alternative. That would be the situation where the quarterbacks were either injured or too incompetent to matter.

"Most third-string quarterbacks in the NFL, or the CFL, hold a clipboard," says left tackle Rob Murphy. "You know, in the back of your mind, you don't ever want to be in that situation where you're relying on a third-stringer. But since Day One, after Dave was out and Buck went down, we, as an offensive line, had total faith in Jarious. He's got great intangibles, he's a real good leader and the more reps he gets, the better he gets."

Jackson has earned a reputation for unflinching toughness, not just physical sturdiness but determination in the face of initial failure. A parallel illustration occurred at one point in Saturday's game, when Jackson spun out of a potential sack, then twisted, turned and bullheaded his way for a first down. If he isn't a reasonable facsimile of old No. 1 on the Lions -- Casey Printers, but without the attitude -- he is at least making the attempt.

"Jarious isn't Casey, he's his own man," says slotback Geroy Simon. "He's playing himself into a really great position right now. When he first got in there, it was a little bit of struggle, because he didn't have the experience. Now he's getting his timing down, and you can see the real Jarious Jackson. He's stepping up, making plays and starting to turn some heads."

Coincidentally, the same could be said of Simon. He brought a BC Place crowd of 31,156 to its feet on a couple of occasions by being a reasonable facsimile of the old Geroy, the CFL's most outstanding player and playmaker in '06.

He had three catches for 127 yards and deserved to score a pair of touchdowns. Unfortunately for Simon, he looked up and lost an end-zone throw in the lights that bounced off his facemask and went incomplete. Another time, he was racing for a touchdown but fumbled near the Argo goal line at the end of a 55-yard play, cancelling another opportunity for Jackson's scoreline -- 264 yards passing yards, but no touchdowns or interceptions -- to look better than it was.

"It was a bittersweet night," Simon said. "I could have made a few more plays and I felt I could have scored at least two touchdowns. It's frustrating because, in the past, we used to make big plays like that. We're running the ball more, and we're successful at it. I had more opportunities and I took advantage of a couple of them, but I can be better."

Simon's performance, though, was still bracing because it showed the Lions can be a dangerous team not only on the ground, but in the air again, when the spirit moves them.

"Geroy's been playing hurt, he had a sore back all week and he stepped up," Buono said. "He's struggled at times, but Geroy is still a great player. his skills haven't diminished. If nothing else, it gave us confidence that he and Jarious can get together and make some plays."

From here on, Buono said he'll make an assessment on his quarterback week to week -- which could make it interesting, with the rise of Jackson into the starting mix.
http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=newser&func=display&nid=19821

ticatfan
02-01-2008, 01:25 PM
Lions close to signing Jackson
Canwest News Service; Vancouver Sun
Published: Friday, February 01, 2008
VANCOUVER - Before B.C. Lions fans can say, "Who's No. 1?" the competition for starting quarterback must have contestants.

And that engagement appears imminent with the signing of Jarious Jackson to a new contract. The team confirmed Thursday that everything is in place, minus Jackson's signature, the streamers and the popping noise of champagne corks.

"Nothing's been signed ... (but) it's going to get done," Lions assistant general manager Neil McEvoy. "Jarious has the documentation from us, and he's just got to agree to it."

View Larger Image
B.C. Lions quarterback Jarious Jackson throws a pass against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats during the first half of their CFL football game in Hamilton, Oct. 26.
Reuters/Mike Cassese

Email to a friend

Printer friendly
Font:****Jackson didn't return phone messages and his agent is in Glendale, Ariz., this week, attending the Super Bowl.

After the wild twists and turns of a season in which he vaulted from trade bait to starter in the West Division final, Jackson is expected to become the front-runner at training camp, with Buck Pierce applying pressure and CFL sophomore Gino Guidugli little more than a dark horse candidate.

Despite the release of Dave ****enson and his subsequent signing Thursday by the Calgary Stampeders, Lions quarterbacks coach Steff Kruck still believes his team will have consistency as well as durability at the position.

"If you take a look at all the teams that lost their starting quarterback last season, there was a drop-off," Kruck says. "In our situation, that wasn't the case. If you told us we'd lose Dave and Buck (to injury) and still produce 14 wins, I would have looked at you funny. 'OK, that'd be nice.' But Jarious's pedigree finally came through."

Vancouver Sun

CanWest
http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/story.html?id=7a881bf9-2259-4ebc-891f-d6c336710d3b&k=18005

deer_dance9
02-01-2008, 06:05 PM
wow lol crazy to see a cat fan in here. cats suck man lol. im from hamilton. go to alot of games... they are down right brutal. im a montreal man myself. good story on jackson. i heard the stamps signed ****erson outta bc too.

Fat Joe
02-01-2008, 10:31 PM
Go J2. That dude was cool. :rockon:

ticatfan
02-04-2008, 06:28 AM
wow lol crazy to see a cat fan in here. cats suck man lol. im from hamilton. go to alot of games... they are down right brutal. im a montreal man myself. good story on jackson. i heard the stamps signed ****erson outta bc too.We have to hide out some where.lol Better days to come.

deer_dance9
02-04-2008, 07:56 AM
We have to hide out some where.lol Better days to come.

good old ticats... i go to alot of the games... i sit in the endzone.. i think i seen like 5 or 6 games this year and spent like 10$ total on tickets... teams so bad its so easy to get free tickets lol i have buddys that are season ticket holders lol. i ended up doing that montreal train trip too lol watch the cats get blown out in another city lol

ticatfan
05-30-2008, 09:53 AM
VANCOUVER - Jarious Jackson is the No. 1 quarterback in the Canadian Football League. The thing is, he isn't No. 1 yet in the eyes of B.C. Lions head coach Wally Buono, the man who will use training camp to establish if Jackson truly is.

"One thing obviously on everybody's mind is who the starting quarterback is going to be," Buono told a national teleconference Monday.

"Both Jarious and Buck [Pierce] have been winners when Dave ****enson was the No. 1. We need one of those guys now to step up and be the No. 1. It's going to be a tremendous competition. At the end of the day, we hope one will establish himself."

In his first taste of CFL competition in '08, albeit in a skills competiiton, Jackson emerged as the league's most accurate thrower in the third annual Damon Allen Quarterback Challenge at Hamilton's Ivor Wynne Stadium.

Jackson won the friendly against 10 other CFL quarterbacks, including Pierce. He finished ahead of reigning CFL most outstanding player Kerrry Joseph of Toronto and the Argos' Michael Bishop.

The Lions, meanwhile, announced the signings Monday of four players taken in the April 30 Canadian college draft - McMaster linebacker Jason Arakgi, Manitoba defensive lineman Justin Shaw, Manitoba defensive back Brady Browne and Saskatchewan offensive lineman Hubert Buydens.

Thrree juniors - Brent Rintoul (Vancouver Torjans), Andrew Harris (Vancouver Island Raiders) and David Bosch (Chilliwack Huskers) - will also be attending rookie camp, starting Thursday in Abbotsford.

The Lions full camp opens Sunday.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=1610c860-8b42-43c0-9d2e-d6e5d180891e

ticatfan
06-21-2008, 01:45 PM
VANCOUVER - The two B.C. Lions quarterbacks battling for the No. 1 job seem to be still in a virtual dead heat.

Both Buck Pierce and Jarious Jackson threw touchdown passes to Geroy Simon and Paris Jackson Thursday as the B.C. Lions defeated the Calgary Stampeders 39-35 in the final CFL exhibition game for both clubs.

The victory by the 2007 West Division finalists evened both clubs' exhibition game records to 1-1.

B.C. defensive back Korey Banks turned the game around in the second quarter with an electrifying 84-yard interception return.

Pierce didn't hurt his chances in the first half after both quarterbacks had anemic performances last week in a loss to Saskatchewan.

Relying mainly on a short passing game, he completed 13 of 18 attempts for 184 yards for the two touchdowns and without any interceptions.

Jarious Jackson, who started most of the games for the Lions last season when the club was hit by injuries at quarterback, played the second half and was eight of 10 attempts for 126 yards.

He found Simon for a 29-yard one-handed grab in the end zone in the third quarter and connected with Paris Jackson for a 14-yard major in the fourth.

The Lions scored three touchdowns in less than seven minutes to lead 22-10 after a half played mostly by veterans on both teams.

Pierce connected with Paris Jackson for a 17-yard TD strike to rally the Lions from a 10-1 deficit. Jackson started the drive with a 22-yard catch.

Pierce, a fourth-year pro, then drilled another 22-yard completion to Simon in the end zone for the lead on the Lions' next possession.

The oft-injured Dave ****enson, released by the Lions at the end of last season, came in with 5:02 remaining in the first half for the Stampeders but his third pass attempt was tipped by intended receiver Jeremaine Copeland.

Banks picked it off and rambled untouched into the end zone.

Calgary starting quarterback Henry Burris connected with running back Joffrey Reynolds for a 10-yard TD pass early in the second quarter.

Ben Sankey started the second half and connected with Copeland for a four-yard TD reception.

Barrick Nealy, the third Calgary pivot, engineered two late touchdowns. He scored scored the first on a one-yard plunge and hit Reggie Williams for the other with a 27-yard completion with no time remaining and ran for a two-point convert.

Lions kicker Paul McCallum had a field goal, four converts and a 62-yard single to open the scoring. Sean Whyte added the other B.C. convert.

Sandro DeAngelis had a pair of 12-yard field goals and two converts.

Notes: The two clubs open the regular season against each other next week ... Calgary is 1-8-1 in its last 10 regular-season games against the Lions ... ****enson returned to B.C. wearing No. 15, his old Stampeder number ... he wore No. 12 as a Lion ... B.C. offensive tackle Rob Murphy has yet to appear in camp because his wife is expecting triplets in Florida.

http://www.cfl.ca/article/stamps-vs-lions

miguel_fdz92
06-21-2008, 02:02 PM
NewsNewsroom
Insight & Analysis
Official CFL Blogs
Press Releases
Community
Amateur
'PROMISED LAND' NOW AWAITS JACKSON
Monday, September 17, 2007 - 04:00PM

Buono says QB earned right to continue to lead charge

By Mike Beamish,
Vancouver Sun

Perhaps it's no longer out of mere necessity that Jarious Jackson continues as the starting quarterback of the B.C. Lions.

Buck Pierce is practising again and Dave ****enson continues to add to his workout load.

Jackson, however, gets the call again Saturday in Regina where the Lions will attempt to ward off the Roughriders' bid to reclaim first place in the CFL's West Division.

"We're riding the horse that's taken us to this point," Buono said Sunday, after reviewing a tape of Saturday's 40-7 win over the Toronto Argonauts. "I'm tickled pink with Jarious. Not that we want to show disrespect to anybody else, but he's earned the right to continue to lead the charge. He's going to lead us to the Promised Land. And the Promised Land is going into Regina and Mosaic Stadium this week and winning."

So it will be Jackson, playing the part of Teddy Roosevelt, leading the figurative charge up San Juan Hill, not with the Roughriders this time, but in command against them.

Thoughts of a three-headed quarterback controversy are looming in the distance if Jackson continues to build on his work, but it sure beats the alternative. That would be the situation where the quarterbacks were either injured or too incompetent to matter.

"Most third-string quarterbacks in the NFL, or the CFL, hold a clipboard," says left tackle Rob Murphy. "You know, in the back of your mind, you don't ever want to be in that situation where you're relying on a third-stringer. But since Day One, after Dave was out and Buck went down, we, as an offensive line, had total faith in Jarious. He's got great intangibles, he's a real good leader and the more reps he gets, the better he gets."

Jackson has earned a reputation for unflinching toughness, not just physical sturdiness but determination in the face of initial failure. A parallel illustration occurred at one point in Saturday's game, when Jackson spun out of a potential sack, then twisted, turned and bullheaded his way for a first down. If he isn't a reasonable facsimile of old No. 1 on the Lions -- Casey Printers, but without the attitude -- he is at least making the attempt.

"Jarious isn't Casey, he's his own man," says slotback Geroy Simon. "He's playing himself into a really great position right now. When he first got in there, it was a little bit of struggle, because he didn't have the experience. Now he's getting his timing down, and you can see the real Jarious Jackson. He's stepping up, making plays and starting to turn some heads."

Coincidentally, the same could be said of Simon. He brought a BC Place crowd of 31,156 to its feet on a couple of occasions by being a reasonable facsimile of the old Geroy, the CFL's most outstanding player and playmaker in '06.

He had three catches for 127 yards and deserved to score a pair of touchdowns. Unfortunately for Simon, he looked up and lost an end-zone throw in the lights that bounced off his facemask and went incomplete. Another time, he was racing for a touchdown but fumbled near the Argo goal line at the end of a 55-yard play, cancelling another opportunity for Jackson's scoreline -- 264 yards passing yards, but no touchdowns or interceptions -- to look better than it was.

"It was a bittersweet night," Simon said. "I could have made a few more plays and I felt I could have scored at least two touchdowns. It's frustrating because, in the past, we used to make big plays like that. We're running the ball more, and we're successful at it. I had more opportunities and I took advantage of a couple of them, but I can be better."

Simon's performance, though, was still bracing because it showed the Lions can be a dangerous team not only on the ground, but in the air again, when the spirit moves them.

"Geroy's been playing hurt, he had a sore back all week and he stepped up," Buono said. "He's struggled at times, but Geroy is still a great player. his skills haven't diminished. If nothing else, it gave us confidence that he and Jarious can get together and make some plays."

From here on, Buono said he'll make an assessment on his quarterback week to week -- which could make it interesting, with the rise of Jackson into the starting mix.
http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=newser&func=display&nid=19821

Nice to see jj finally getting the opportunity to start I've always liked him and I can only hop it turns out great for him

Hardcore Bronco Babe
06-21-2008, 07:13 PM
I liked Jarious Jackson and thought that he was a talented quarterback. He did pretty well in NFL Europe but was never really given a chance to prove himself in Denver. I wish him the best.

KWHIT97
06-22-2008, 07:59 AM
I hope he does well wherever he's at!

Anikai
06-22-2008, 02:17 PM
wow, I thought Canadian Football was what we called Hockey:confused:
LOL. Good luck Jackson:salute:

rev_rock
06-22-2008, 02:56 PM
Yeah, I always liked Jackson and wished he could have developed into a starter for us. Just didn't happen, though. While we're on the subject of the CFL, does anyone know where any of their games are televised here in the States? It would sure help to make the NFL offseason a little more tolerable!! :D

:salute:

ticatfan
06-24-2008, 08:33 AM
http://www.americaone.com/show/CFL/2008_Schedule.htm is supposed to,but I just heard that espn360 is doing the BC game next thursday. I guess they are having trouble finding someone to carry the games ,to bad.

ticatfan
06-25-2008, 12:13 PM
VANCOUVER - Buck Pierce says he's fully recovered from shoulder injuries that interrupted his development as a CFL quarterback last season.

But that throwing shoulder now has the weight of the B.C. Lions offence on it after coach Wally Buono made Pierce his starter as the club enters a season without Dave ****enson under centre for the first time in six years.

"I just try to prove myself every day and be the leader and the guy that they need me to be for this offence," Pierce said after nudging ahead of Jarious Jackson on the depth chart. "I think I've done OK.

"I've answered some questions about my shoulder coming back. I feel pretty confident."

That's good news for a team with a solid veteran core that includes nine returning all-stars and is seeking a Grey Cup game appearance for the third time in five years after 11 straight playoff seasons.

****enson, once the CFL gold standard for passing accuracy, went down with a concussion in the third game of 2007 and was released after spending most of the season watching through dark glasses.

Pierce got four starts but gave way to Jackson after suffering toe and shoulder injuries. Jackson, who played collegiately at Notre Dame and then four seasons with the NFL's Denver Broncos, engineered nine wins in 10 starts as the Lions registered a club-record 14 victories.

"It could be either one of us that could be the starter," the six-foot-one, 240-pound Jackson said of their training camp battle. "Or either one of us could do a great job coming off the bench and helping the team win."

The six-foot-one, 210-pound Pierce, who played his college football at New Mexico State, was consistently more accurate than Jackson. But Jackson has a stronger arm, manages a game well and will also take plenty of snaps.

"They have different styles but we still run the same plays and we still think the same way," said slotback Geroy Simon, who was the CFL's leading receiver last year. "Jarious, he's a big strong guy and throws a heavy ball and you've got to be prepared to catch it.

"Buck, he kind of runs around and makes plays."

Buono's decision on the eve of the Lions' first regular-season game in Calgary ended the quarterback battle - at least for now. But it took three different players under centre to set that franchise wins record.

The Lions want to improve at quarterback after finishing sixth in passing yards and fifth in completion percentage last year.

"You could say it starts with the quarterback but it also starts with the scheme, the athletes, the protection," said Buono who brought back former offensive co-ordinator Jacques Chapedelaine as receivers coach and added veteran wideout Clarence Coleman, a speedster with NFL experience in Buffalo.

On the other side of the ball, the big-play defence is looking to add some brain to the brawn that forced turnovers in key situations.

"Last year we obviously played on our athleticism and played hard," said defensive end Brent Johnson. "The mental side of the game is something we're going to have to improve upon."

The Lions' all-stars included slotbacks Simon and Jason Clermont on offence along with running back Joe Smith, tackle Rob Murphy and guard Kelly Bates.

Murphy, the CFL's outstanding lineman for the second straight year, anchored a line that allowed the second-fewest sacks and helped Smith rush for 1,510 yards and 18 touchdowns, both club records. The flaky Smith, who regularly changes his hairstyle and once left a game early - with the club's permission - to catch a red-eye flight to Texas, added a receiving TD.

The burly Clermont was the outstanding Canadian for the second time in four years. He was third among all receivers with 1,158 yards on 86 catches. Seven went for touchdowns including one of 93 yards.

Defensively, end Cameron Wake led the CFL with 16 sacks to be named the league's top rookie and defensive player. Defensive back Ryan Phillips also led the league with 12 interceptions. Ian Smart, whose waterbug moves at running back provide lightning to the thunder of Smith, made it on special teams as a kick returner.

Smart was the outstanding special teams player with 2,440 combined yards. His 92 punt returns averaged 9.9 yards and produced one TD. He also contributed to field position with 1,228 yards on 53 kickoff returns.

But something was missing.

"Last year we had the best record in the league, the best stats but there was no Grey Cup in the locker room," said Wake who had five sacks in the 26-17 West Final loss to Grey Cup-champion Saskatchewan Roughriders. "We've looked at a lot of things where we could have been better finishing.

"We have a bad taste from last year which we have to get out of our mouth."

A look at the 2008 B.C. Lions:

Coach: Wally Buono, 18th season, fifth with B.C.

Stadium: B.C. Place, seating capacity for football, 59,196.

Last year: First in West with club-record 14 wins, three losses and a tie; lost division final 26-17 to the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

Notable additions: Player personnel director Roy Shivers, receivers coach Jacques Chapdelaine, quarterback Zac Champion, defensive back Reggie Myles, wide receiver Clarence Coleman, running backs Stefan Logan, Rolly Lumbala, offensive lineman Walter Stith, defensive end Dan McCullough, defensive lineman Jeremy Gibbs, safety Jason Arakgi, son of former Buono teammate Nick Arakgi.

Departures: Quarterback Dave ****enson, offensive lineman Amariah Farrow, defensive backs Mark Washington, Markeith Knowlton, wide receiver Josh Boden, linebacker Tyson Craiggs, running back Andre Sadeghian.

The skinny: The Lions have a solid core of nine returing CFL all-stars but the big can fourth-year pro Buck Pierce lead them back to the Grey Cup after being installed as the starting quarterback.

Related Links
BCLions.com

http://www.cfl.ca/article/weight-of-lions-offence-now-on-shoulders-of-qb-pierce

But he will see his share of action this year.

ticatfan
07-21-2008, 12:13 PM
OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK

QB Jarious Jackson B.C. Lions

B.C. Lions 42 @ Winnipeg Blue Bombers 24

Highlights / Key Stats:

QB Jarious Jackson had his best day in the CFL as he led the B.C. Lions to a big victory on the road in Winnipeg. Jackson was 19 for 24 (79.2%) for 340 yards and a league-high five touchdown passes with only one interception and a perfect passer rating of 158.3. Jackson spread the ball around by completing passes to seven different receivers, with his primary target being Geroy Simon who had seven receptions. Jackson also ran twice for 18 yards.

On the season, Jackson is 43 of 72 (59.7%) for 599 yards, throwing six touchdowns and three interceptions for a 96.9 passer efficiency rating. He has rushed 12 times for 58 yards.

Unanimous selection
He is now the #1 QB for B.C. (FOR NOW)

ticatfan
07-21-2008, 12:15 PM
Jarious Jackson knew there was only one logical explanation but offered up a popular alternative theory anyway.

"There's a Good Jarious and a Bad Jarious," the Lions quarterback said, and he smiled at the thought of being briefly lumped into the same conversation with a more-decorated CFL colleague.

The nomadic consistency of Calgary Stampeders quarterback Henry Burris has long been a source of fascination around the three-down league, but Jackson has been every bit his equal the last two weeks.

It's why a similar intrigue exists in advance of the Lions' game tonight against the Blue Bombers at B.C. Place.

Do the Lions get a signal-caller who was baffling during his first regular-season start two weeks ago against Saskatchewan, when Jackson had two fumbles, threw an interception and had a 55.7 quarterback rating?

Or do they get the one who was brilliant against Winnipeg, the one who threw five touchdown passes in three quarters and was rated at 140.9, an uncanny number given that 100 is considered solid.

Any theory as to what accounts for such a wild swing is valid. First witness: Jackson's most trusted receiver.

"I honestly think Jarious plays 10 times better when he's under pressure," slotback Geroy Simon said.

"You look back at pretty much each game last year. At the beginning of the game we were horsebleep. At the end, when it's tight or we're down, he kind of goes into that mode, like, let's go put up points now. Some guys turn it up when there's pressure; that's when they're at their best. He might be that guy. A lot of guys crumble under pressure. He excels."

Or, Jackson might simply be the total opposite, comfortable knowing that after years of backup work he is not going to be chased at the first sign of trouble.

Jackson admitted after last week's win he learned something about himself. He didn't bite when it was suggested he had put an unfair burden on himself two weeks ago after it became clear he'd be the starter.

You could simply go with the more-relaxed factor, he said.

"My mindset is the same. I'm a little more comfortable than I was two weeks ago," offered the quarterback.

"I tried to be relaxed two weeks ago, but you put too much pressure on yourself, and the next thing you know you're throwing balls harder than you should."

GM/coach Wally Buono believes his starter is coming through a two-week period which began with the July 4 game against Saskatchewan, before which Jackson was told he would take over from Buck Pierce, and the Winnipeg experience.

"It's human nature; we put so much expectation on ourselves that we are our worst enemy," Buono said. "Jarious did a lot of good in the Saskatchewan game, but he only saw the bad. I believe he's more comfortable with the role today than before the Saskatchewan game. No matter what your role is, there is a transition."

And if it is clear it is not yet complete, Buono could always call Burris for a little advice.

Courtesy: www.vancouverprovince.com

ticatfan
07-26-2008, 12:12 PM
THE CANADIAN PRESS

VANCOUVER - Paul McCallum kicked a clutch 36-yard field goal with eight seconds remaining Friday as the B.C. Lions won their third straight CFL game by beating the Montreal Alouettes 36-34.

McCallum was money for the Lions all night as he made all five of his field goal tries, the longest from 39 yards. The Lions improved to 3-2 with their eighth consecutive victory over Montreal at B.C. Place Stadium while the Alouettes slipped to 2-3 with their third consecutive loss.

B.C. quarterback Jarious Jackson threw a TD pass to Paris Jackson to give the Lions a 30-27 lead in the see-saw game.

Joe Smith plunged over from one yard and Ian Smart had a spectacular 91-yard kickoff return for the other B.C. touchdown.

Brian Bratton gathered in the first two TD passes of his CFL career from quarterback Anthony Calvillo who also found Kerry Watkins in the end zone.

Backup quarterback Adrian McPherson plunged over from one yard for the other Alouette TD. Kicker Damon Duval added two field goals, three converts and a single.

The Alouettes took a 17-6 lead at halftime although both Calvillo and B.C. quarterback Jarious Jackson struggled for completions.

Montreal gave up a McCallum field goal on the Lions' first possession that saw Geroy Simon snag a 19-yard sideline pass to break Jim Young's club record of 9,248 receiving yards.

The Als then regrouped to score 17 points.

They ran the ball only five times in last week's loss to the Saskatchewan Roughriders but gave it three times to all-purpose back Avon Cobourne on their first possession.

Cobourne had 65 yards on the drive, which ended on a one-yard plunge by McPherson, and 108 in the first half.

Kerry Watkins gathered in an eight-yard strike from Calvillo for a 13-3 lead on a drive kept alive on a penalty when B.C. corner back Dante Marsh contacted Duval on a field goal attempt.

Barron Miles blocked the covert but Duval got the point back on the ensuing kickoff with a 91-yard single.

Calvillo found the range again on Montreal's first possession of the second half, completing all eight pass attempts on a 67-yard drive that ended with a four-yard catch by Bratton.

The Lions closed the gap to 27-23 entering the fourth quarter on Smart's electrifying kickoff return and a one-yard plunge by Joe Smith.

Duval was the only player who had a chance to tackle the speedy Smart who gave the Lions their first kickoff return for a touchdown in four seasons.

Smith's TD was set up by a fumble recovery by Reggie Myles and a pass interference call in the end zone on Davis Sanchez on a ball intended for Paris Jackson.

Jarious Jackson went back to Paris Jackson on the Lions' first possession of the fourth quarter as the wideout gave B.C. its first lead of the game at 30-27 with a 43-yard sideline grab.

Notes: All in the family ... B.C. defensive back Korey Banks and Montreal backup quarterback Brad Banks are cousins ... Lions' defensive tackle Aaron Hunt and Als' linebacker Reggie Hunt are brothers ... the Lions beat the Alouettes 46-14 at B.C. Place in 2007 but lost 32-14 in Montreal ... third-year Lion Dean Valli replaced guard Sherko Haji-Rasouli who reinjured his hamstring last week against Winnipeg.

http://www.cfl.ca/article/lions-beat-als-in-shootout-at-bc-place

ticatfan
08-28-2008, 10:22 AM
Iain McIntyre
The Vancouver Sun

It took Buck Pierce three years to earn the starting quarterback job with the B.C. Lions and one half of football to lose it. No longer as raw nor patient as he used to be, the 26-year-old Californian hasn't made the impact he hinted at when he arrived in the Canadian Football League in 2005 straight out of college.

Pierce's body hasn't allowed it. Or, this season, maybe it is Lions head coach Wally Buono who hasn't allowed it.

After separating his shoulder last August, Pierce worked for 10 months on strengthening the hinge on his throwing arm so that he could, in June, be named the Lions' opening-night starter for 2008.

This hard-earned status lasted until the second quarter of the 36-29 loss to the Calgary Stampeders when Pierce's shoulder was jammed on a hit. Backup Jarious Jackson finished that game and started the next seven.

Pierce, who claimed Wednesday he could have finished the June 26 game in Calgary and started the week after, was sent back to the sidelines by Buono not because Dave ****enson or Casey Printers or even Jackson was better.

The Lions benched Pierce because the coaching staff didn't believe their best quarterback was strong enough to finish what he starts, and because Buono feared another season of upheaval at the most important position. Last year, injuries forced the Lions to change starting quarterbacks four times in six games early in the season.

"I used to teach history, so I'm a big believer that those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it," quarterback coach Steff Kruck said after Wednesday's practice in Surrey. "Given the timing of it -- and Buck still wasn't quite recovered from the stuff in the off-season -- we just figured it was better in the long run for both he and the organization if we just shut him down and allowed him the opportunity to get totally healed."

Jackson wasn't better; he was more durable.

"I think it does bother you a little bit that they think you might be getting hurt a lot and questioning your health status," Pierce said. "Coming out of training camp, I was named the guy. That's something everybody wants and strives to achieve. I put the work in the off-season to get back and get healthy.

"After being named [to start], then having to sit for a while, it's tough. It's a tough thing to deal with."

With a game Friday in Montreal to mark the mid-point of their regular season, Jackson and the Lions have been a model of mediocrity at 4-4, losing more games this summer than they did all last season.

This isn't all Jackson's fault. He has completed 126 of 229 passes for 1,756 yards and a QB efficiency rating of 79.2 that is fifth among CFL starters. But throw out his brilliant 19-for-24 win July 11 against Winnipeg, and Jackson's completion rate drops to 52.5 per cent and the 31-year-old's touchdown/interception ratio is an alarming 7-9.

True, the offensive line isn't the force it was, the running game has been spotty and Jackson has been victimized by more drops than Royal Doulton's factory store.

But Jackson hasn't been good enough, which is why Pierce gets another chance to start Friday.
"At this level, it's all about opportunities and seizing those opportunities," Pierce said. "Yeah, I have played in the past and started a number of games in this league and won. It's an opportunity to prove it again to myself and the organization and, really, to this league because you never know. . . how many opportunities you're going to get.

"I feel like I can be a starter in this league. I feel I could help a lot of teams and I feel I could help this team."

A lot of teams?

Clearly, 3 1/2 seasons into his pro career, Pierce has at least considered the possibility he may have to go elsewhere to become a starter.

"There was never a dispute; he did jam his shoulder," Buono said of Pierce's fitness after the opener. "The issue there was discomfort. I think he went back in [against Calgary] and there was one time you could see he had no arm strength or the ability to throw the ball deep."

Of his decision to replace Pierce because of the need for durability and continuity at quarterback, Buono said: "Definitely, that was hard. But it's like anything in life; sometimes you have to take a step backwards to take two steps forward. I think he's stronger, more confident, more able to go out and perform his job. If he had continued to be banged up, I don't think at this point in the season he'd even be playing for us. The time [off] has been very, very good for him."

The irony in getting benched for frailty is that players in professional team sports, and especially football, are lionized for their willingness to play hurt. It's an intangible that's almost always lauded.

But what the Lions need most from Pierce on Friday in another intangible -- the quarterback's ability to rally and inspire teammates, to make plays spontaneously and create momentum and confidence. That, more than the completion rate or quarterback rating, is what was so tantalizing about Pierce during appearances in his first two CFL seasons.

Pierce has that something. Or at least it looked like he did.

"At the end of the day, I don't think the coaches lost confidence in Buck and I don't think he lost confidence in himself," Buono said. "Does he have to be able to deal with that [durability] issue?

Yes, sure. But he's got an opportunity now to go out and start everything all over again."

Courtesy of: www.vancouversun.com

ticatfan
11-19-2008, 03:10 PM
Well the BC lions did not make it, lost last week in the semi's. The grey cup is on sunday with 2 rookie head coaches,which some off you might know,Marc Trestman (montreal) and John Hufnagel (calgary) who were both in the NFL. The lions lost to calgary. The Calgary Stampeders advanced to the Grey Cup for the first time since 2001 with a 22-18 win over the B.C. Lions in Saturday's West final.

The Stampeders will meet the host Montreal Alouettes in the Grey Cup on Nov. 23. The Als downed the Edmonton Eskimos 36-26 in the East final Saturday.

Calgary finished the regular season with the best record in the CFL at 13-5, but the Stampeders were under pressure to win a playoff game because their last post-season win was that Grey Cup victory in 2001.

B.C. finished third in the West at 11-7 and upset Saskatchewan Roughriders in last week's semifinal.

Calgary quarterback Henry Burris threw for 236 yards and one touchdown and ran the ball in for a touchdown. CFL receptions leader Ken-yon Rambo also scored a touchdown in front of an announced sellout of 35,650 at McMahon Stadium.

Calgary's Sandro DeAngelis kicked field goals from 42 and 27 yards out in the third quarter and missed from 48 yards out late in the fourth.

The Lions had stellar defence in the game, but didn't muster one touchdown. Paul McCallum kicked six field goals from 23, 20, 35, 32, 30 and 12 yards.

Calgary defensive end Mike Labinjo had two sacks, forced a fumble and made two consecutive tackles to prevent a B.C. touchdown early in the second half. Cornerback Brandon Browner's interception with 1:19 remaining was key as it gave the Stamps the ball on their own 25-yard line.

Lions head coach Wally Buono challenged a no-catch call by the officials with a minute and a half remaining and won the review. They ruled receiver Ryan Grice-Mullen didn't let the football touch the turf under pressure by Browner.

DeAngelis was wide on a 48-yard attempt with 1:38 remaining.

After trailing for three quarters, Burris gave the Stamps a 22-15 lead at 3:42 of the fourth when he punched the ball in from the one-yard line. B.C. kept the pressure on with McCallum's sixth field goal of the game at 6:24.

With the Stamps on the Lions' seven-yard line late in the third quarter, Burris fell victim to B.C.'s front four and he was tackled for losses by Cameron Wake and Tyrone Williams. DeAngelis tied the game 15-15 from 27 yards at 13:36 after kicking a 42-yarder at 9:29.

B.C.'s Korey Banks intercepted Burris early in the second half and ran the ball to the one-yard line. It was Calgary's defensive line stepping up to prevent a TD with Labinjo twice stopping ball carrier Ian Smart, and the Lions settling for a fifth field field goal at 6:03.

The B.C. offensive and defensive lines dominated the first half and the Lions emerged from it with a 12-9 lead.

The Lions held the No. 2 offence in the CFL to under 60 yards and just three first downs until Burris's 22-yard touchdown pass to Rambo with nine seconds remaining in the first half.

Pierce had time and space behind his offensive line, but B.C. failed to score a TD from inside the 30-yard line four times in the first half and settled for field goals by McCallum.

The Lions' offence had the ball for 20:01 minutes in the first half compared to Calgary's 9:59.

Demetrious Summers set the stage for Calgary's TD with a 53-yard punt return. It was his second 50-plus return of the game. Rambo caught Burris's pass two steps before he ran out of room in the end zone.
This should be a great match up,if anyone can watch it.

deer_dance9
11-19-2008, 03:46 PM
go montreal, even though i live in hamilton, always been a montreal fan (why would i like the ticats, they have been junk for years) even though i have season tickets.

ticatfan
02-02-2012, 01:58 PM
VANCOUVER -- The B.C. Lions released veteran quarterback Jarious Jackson on Wednesday.

The move comes less than a year after Jackson signed a two-year deal with the Lions that was reportedly worth $130,000 annually, with incentives.

The six-foot-one, 232-pound Jackson saw limited duty in 2011 behind Travis Lulay, the CFL's outstanding player. Jackson attempted just 39 passes during the regular season, completing 18 for 263 yards with a touchdown and two interceptions.

"Thx to Jarious for all his help and advice over the last couple of years, always a great teammate! 1st-class, team-first guy,'' Lulay tweeted.

Tailback Andrew Harris echoed those sentiments.

"J. Jackson was a huge player-mentor to me! Very disappointed to see him go.. Its all part of the business tho. All the best J.J!,'' he wrote on his Twitter account.

Jackson, who played his college football at Notre Dame, joined the Lions in 2004 as a practice-roster player. He became B.C.'s starter during the 2007 season when Dave Dickenson and Buck Pierce were both out with injuries.

Jackson posted a 9-2 record and completed 167-of-304 passes for 2,553 yards with 18 touchdowns and 10 interceptions over that span. He re-signed with B.C. following the 2007 campaign but began the '08 campaign as Pierce's backup.

Over his eight-year stint with B.C., Jackson earned two Grey Cup rings (2006, 2011). He finishes his Lions tenure having completed 499-of-919 passes for 7,032 yards with 51 touchdowns and 35 interceptions.

The 34-year-old native of Tupelo, Miss., also ran for 1,048 yards and eight touchdowns but also surrendered 20 fumbles.

Prior to signing with B.C., Jackson spent four seasons with the NFL's Denver Broncos.

http://www.cfl.ca/article/lions-part-ways-with-qbjarious-jackson

ticatfan
02-23-2012, 01:53 PM
He is not done yet. Done well for a back up and with Toronto making huge changes this year trying to get to the 100th grey cup in toronto, JJ could get another ring.

The Toronto Argonauts added some depth at the quarterback position on Friday, signing former BC Lions pivot Jarious Jackson.

Jackson was released by the Lions at the beginning of February after eight sesasons with the Lions. He served as the backup to CFL Most Outstanding Player Travis Lulay in 2011.

The six-foot-one, 232-pound Jackson attempted just 39 passes during the regular season, completing 18 for 263 yards with a touchdown and two interceptions.

Jackson originally joined the Lions in 2004 as a practice-roster player and had spent his entire CFL career in B.C. He was the Lions' starter during the 2007 season when Dave Dickenson and Buck Pierce were both out with injuries.

Over his eight-year tenure in B.C., Jackson earned two Grey Cup rings in 2006 and 2011. He has passed for 7,032 yards with 51 touchdowns and 35 interceptions in his career.

Jackson also ran for 1,048 yards and eight touchdowns in his career.

Prior to signing with B.C., Jackson spent four seasons with the NFL's Denver Broncos.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=388112

ticatfan
02-23-2012, 02:01 PM
If anyone was wondering what kind of salary he would make as a back up in this league is a base salary of 140,000.00. Not NFL money but not bad.