PDA

View Full Version : Who thinks the autograph method is stupid?

rjdonah
08-04-2007, 05:42 PM
I can't stand how they do the autographs at training camp. I understand that the players are busy, but 10 minutes and it's over. That Sucks! Plus, when you start out in line there are only like 15 people in front of you. But, once practice is over the line magically increases by 10. My opinon is that you shouldn't be able to save spots for people in an autograph line. You pay your dues and wait like everyone else. All that aside, the BRONCOS are going to be awesome this year.:fight:

McKeough
08-04-2007, 05:45 PM
Autographs are a courtesy thing. They don't have to do it.

You should be thankful that they do it in the first place.

Trust me -- after a pull contact practice, the last thing you want to do it sit around signing autographs.

You're sore, tired, and just want to get undressed and ice up.

rjdonah
08-04-2007, 05:48 PM
I just can't stand that 50 people stroll in & cut because their buddy "held" a spot for them. I understand the players are busy & sore. They're cool! It is moron fans that I am annoyed with. The players are great!

AlWilsonizKING
08-04-2007, 05:55 PM
I used to just go down to the stadium and hit up players for auto's as they were walking to the stadium from thier cars.......not sure if you still can at Invesco....but at Mile High you could.

I found most players are more willing to give them out BEFORE a game rather than after.

PEACE!!!

CinnaMunMun
08-04-2007, 06:12 PM
I just can't stand that 50 people stroll in & cut because their buddy "held" a spot for them. I understand the players are busy & sore. They're cool! It is moron fans that I am annoyed with. The players are great!

I agree.

Tell security about the spot saving. I got kicked out once for it, so I don't let anyone else do it. Not when, like you said, the players MAYBE stick around for 10 min.

People who sat there for 45 min (or however long) shouldn't be cut.

Kaylore
08-04-2007, 09:16 PM
I have no opinion on this as I think collecting autographs is silly. I would rather get a picture or just talk to them a little bit, but that's just me.

stnzed
08-04-2007, 09:20 PM
I have no opinion on this as I think collecting autographs is silly. I would rather get a picture or just talk to them a little bit, but that's just me.

I have one autograph....An old Denver D helmet autographed by John Elway.

Broncosinindy
08-04-2007, 10:00 PM
Autographs are a courtesy thing. They don't have to do it.

You should be thankful that they do it in the first place.

Trust me -- after a pull contact practice, the last thing you want to do it sit around signing autographs.

You're sore, tired, and just want to get undressed and ice up.

these guys are paid millions of dollars. and should sign autos i am not a auto collector

People that cut in line or play the save a spot tick me off it ususally ends in me being ejected from wherever this occurrs

BroncoBJ4MVP!!!
08-04-2007, 11:21 PM
I always get my autographs/pictures with players in Team hotels and stuff. I follow them around sometimes :eek:

And sometimes before and after the games everyone is always out there wanting autographs.

And at Fan Fare I get a good ammount of pics and stuff.

I Never even tried to get autographs at training camp before.

Dream
08-04-2007, 11:27 PM
I have a few autographs from sports players, but I don't think they're that great. I might go and try and get a few at camp next year, but it's not that big a deal to me. Like Kaylore mentioned, getting a picture taken or talking football for a few minutes would mean a lot more.

My sister has a ton of Packers autographs, but her biggest Packer moment is getting to wear Bill "Red" Mack's championship ring from Super Bowl I. She didn't make it to camp this year, but she went to the past two. Heck, she even ran down Mark Tauscher's Escalade just to get an autograph. She's nuts, but I'd never do that. But her encounter with Mack means a lot more and she'll remember that forever.

BroncoBJ4MVP!!!
08-04-2007, 11:30 PM
I have a few autographs from sports players, but I don't think they're that great. I might go and try and get a few at camp next year, but it's not that big a deal to me. Like Kaylore mentioned, getting a picture taken or talking football for a few minutes would mean a lot more.

My sister has a ton of Packers autographs, but her biggest Packer moment is getting to wear Bill "Red" Mack's championship ring from Super Bowl I. She didn't make it to camp this year, but she went to the past two. Heck, she even ran down Mark Tauscher's Escalade just to get an autograph. She's nuts, but I'd never do that. But her encounter with Mack means a lot more and she'll remember that forever.

Yea I agree^.

I've talked football with Kircus, Sheff,Watts, Putzier, Coyer, Shanahan, D-will, Warren and a few other players. And that is a lot more cool then getting a player to sign a paper or something. I usually get pictures with a player and then have them sign the picture for me. Thats what I like the most.

Or If I have a card then I like them to sign that. :salute:

Hawgdriver
08-05-2007, 12:31 AM
I used to just go down to the stadium and hit up players for auto's as they were walking to the stadium from thier cars.......not sure if you still can at Invesco....but at Mile High you could.

I found most players are more willing to give them out BEFORE a game rather than after.

PEACE!!!

That actually sounds like some really good, wise advice.

aaronheeb
08-05-2007, 08:15 AM
i was hoping someone else was going to say something before i got a chance... Kaylore... im with you on this man. I see all the adults up in line just to have some guy they can drool over for 20 seconds while he signs a piece of paper. All the while they are missing the whole practice to do this! For a kid i think its great just because they get to meet the people they worship. But for a grown man??? I just dont get it at all... I also cant stand the guys that see these athletes out in public and bother them for autographs or whatever as well... That is probably worse than the dudes in line...

Can anyone on this board who has gone through puberty explain this to me?

topscribe
08-05-2007, 08:42 AM
I can go only by what I read and hear on this because I have never sought
autographs. However, I have often thought it would stink to be famous because
I would have to sign my name all the time . . . not something that tickles my
fancy. So I would probably one of those guys who would be ducking the public
much as possible.

Regarding cutting into line, I would think the best thing to do would be to call
security's attention to it, as previously suggested here. I don't know . . . I have
incurred the same problem everywhere I go, it seems . . . punks cutting in
ahead of me. I usually just let them cut since that's all they seem to have in life.

But I'm just a different breed of cat, I guess. I get more of a thrill meeting with
my wife than I do meeting celebrities. *shrugs*

-----

hilife
08-05-2007, 09:03 AM
I can't stand how they do the autographs at training camp. I understand that the players are busy, but 10 minutes and it's over. That Sucks! Plus, when you start out in line there are only like 15 people in front of you. But, once practice is over the line magically increases by 10. My opinon is that you shouldn't be able to save spots for people in an autograph line. You pay your dues and wait like everyone else. All that aside, the BRONCOS are going to be awesome this year.:fight:

I agree in terms of saving spots in line. It's unfair to the rest of the people that missed watching the practice. These people that get to watch the practice and just shows up and gets to cut is wrong. Especially if they are only signing for 10mins. When it's your turn to get a signiture you might be at 10min 05 secs and then they get up and leave.

pnbronco
08-05-2007, 08:48 PM
i was hoping someone else was going to say something before i got a chance... Kaylore... im with you on this man. I see all the adults up in line just to have some guy they can drool over for 20 seconds while he signs a piece of paper. All the while they are missing the whole practice to do this! For a kid i think its great just because they get to meet the people they worship. But for a grown man??? I just dont get it at all... I also cant stand the guys that see these athletes out in public and bother them for autographs or whatever as well... That is probably worse than the dudes in line...

I am well past puberty but I love to get autographs. It's a hobby for me and I have some great ones. I don't get them at camp because I want to see the practice. The autrograph is a physical reminder of a really fun day. I have never sold an autograph and don't plan to, for me it's like fishing, the catching is the fun part. I follow what I call basic rules, I don't bother a player if he is with his family, I don't enter their personal space unless invited, if there is a rope I always stay on my side. Plus I always say please and thank you, and if someone ignores me then I respect their choice. I don't like the cutting in line at all at camp. I feel like if you made to choice to wait all morning you really should have a chance to get who ever is there, esp since you never know who's going to sit down.

KCLadyFan
08-05-2007, 10:40 PM
That actually sounds like some really good, wise advice.

At Arrowhead...you can get autographs before and after practices.My daughter went and got my Chiefs mini helmet signed by Will Shields and gave
it to me for Christmas last year.She also took my Chiefs banner and had it signed
by several players...(not Tonys tho) :(;)

After a game there are way too many people there trying to get their
autographs but after or before a practice is a good time.

KCLadyFan
08-05-2007, 10:43 PM

20 seconds...I would be drooling for days afterwards....;)

I once saw Priest Holmes having dinner where we were but I would of never thought to bother him for an autograph...that wouldn't be right.

Doggcow
08-05-2007, 10:45 PM
Hey SD Fans. Know anything about where away teams give autographs before/after games? If they even do?

I'll be down in SD for the game and I'd love to get a Bailey or Cutler siggy.

aaronheeb
08-06-2007, 07:57 AM
Hey SD Fans. Know anything about where away teams give autographs before/after games? If they even do?

I'll be down in SD for the game and I'd love to get a Bailey or Cutler siggy.

Visiting team guys never sign before or after an away game... They arnt even seen in public. I know in denver the visitor team comes in the tunnel in the bus. You imagine them walking out where all the fans are? They would get yelled at non stop, stuff thrown at them and the like. As for Cutler, last year i remember he was one of the guys that NEVER took th time to sign anything. I was with my little brother last year for the indy game and we were looking at the players coming in from the parking lot. And most of the people signed stuff for 10 min or so (including bailey) cutler just walked straight through and said nothing to anyone. A guy next to me commented that he never signs anything...

So dont get your hopes on getting anything in SD

aaronheeb
08-06-2007, 08:00 AM
The autrograph is a physical reminder of a really fun day.

standing in line for an hour or two to have the guy look up at you and sign a piece of paper is a fun day?

I know you said that you are not one of those guys at camp waiting in line, but waiting at the mall or whatever the case may be is all the same. Thats the part i dont understand :confused:

pnbronco
08-06-2007, 03:13 PM
:D
standing in line for an hour or two to have the guy look up at you and sign a piece of paper is a fun day?

I know you said that you are not one of those guys at camp waiting in line, but waiting at the mall or whatever the case may be is all the same. Thats the part i dont understand :confused:

I started getting autographs when the Broncos were at Mile High Staduim. Things have changed so much. Like in the old days the players parked in the South Stands parking lots, if you knew who to look for you could walk in with them and hand them a ball as they were walking. Today they park in a lot that is fenced off and they get carted in. The Broncos had camp up at Greeley and if you knew where to hang out you could get a whole team ball signed and I did. I had a lot of good 20 seconds with these guys and since players use to stay longer with one team I got to have a friendly hello and how are you this year. I saw John Elway at a Golf Tournament this year and he remembered me and we just talked. When I have gotten an autograph it's just a type of joy that I might of felt at 12 if I had a chance then, but I didn't. I started working very young and have worked hard all my life. I can understand that the way things are today it does not look like fun and I don't do well with lines, but I still manage to get a few and have a good time doing it. :D

SBboundBRONCOS
08-06-2007, 05:17 PM
Visiting team guys never sign before or after an away game... They arnt even seen in public. I know in denver the visitor team comes in the tunnel in the bus. You imagine them walking out where all the fans are? They would get yelled at non stop, stuff thrown at them and the like. As for Cutler, last year i remember he was one of the guys that NEVER took th time to sign anything. I was with my little brother last year for the indy game and we were looking at the players coming in from the parking lot. And most of the people signed stuff for 10 min or so (including bailey) cutler just walked straight through and said nothing to anyone. A guy next to me commented that he never signs anything...

So dont get your hopes on getting anything in SD

i dont know what it is but cutler like to ignore people. i was at camp today and these little kids were yelling at him "cutler cutler . . hey jay" but he just completely tuned them out but when they screamed walkers name he spread his arms and made a cool face for them to take a pic same with bailey?? idk maybe hes just very focused going into this season

rjdonah
08-07-2007, 12:23 PM
Now they issue tickets to people in line. No more cutting allowed!!! YES:rockon:

aaronheeb
08-07-2007, 01:31 PM
i dont know what it is but cutler like to ignore people. i was at camp today and these little kids were yelling at him "cutler cutler . . hey jay" but he just completely tuned them out but when they screamed walkers name he spread his arms and made a cool face for them to take a pic same with bailey?? idk maybe hes just very focused going into this season

He is like this going into the season and from what i have heard he can be a little bit of a jerk. Again, this is just coming from people that i have heard from and i personally dont have any experiences with the man...

But being QB out here is the equivalent to being a God in some countries. So the attitude cant last forever... that is unless he brings home a ring. Then he can smack my kids around for all i care :D (for reference, i do not have any children at the present time)

PatrickdaDookie
08-07-2007, 01:58 PM
I can go only by what I read and hear on this because I have never sought
autographs. However, I have often thought it would stink to be famous because
I would have to sign my name all the time . . . not something that tickles my
fancy. So I would probably one of those guys who would be ducking the public
much as possible.

Personally, my goal in life is for someone to ask me for my autograph someday. =)

That being said, I do think asking for autographs is kind of silly. I'd much rather talk to a person and hold on to that memory as opposed to having a name on a piece of paper.

Bryceleo
08-08-2007, 06:14 AM
I remember back when the Broncos went to the Super Bowl against the Giants I was a little kid and the team still had the practice facility in Denver right off the Highway next to the sports memorabilia shop. My mom would take me down there to wait on the players to leave and I had one of those Super Bowl pennants that had both teams on it. i got it signed by a lot of players but the one I will remember the most was Meklenburg because after he signed my pennant it fell in the water and he showed so much class to a young kid because he took me across the street bought me a new pennant and signed that one as well. I have several autographed items mostly hockey pucks, Hockey Jerseys and a couple baseballs, and then that pennant and a broncos picture. but it's fun to collect and i can't wait to take my son to sporting events so he can start his collection as well.

ReleaseTheBeast7
08-08-2007, 08:04 AM
He is like this going into the season and from what i have heard he can be a little bit of a jerk. Again, this is just coming from people that i have heard from and i personally dont have any experiences with the man...

But being QB out here is the equivalent to being a God in some countries. So the attitude cant last forever... that is unless he brings home a ring. Then he can smack my kids around for all i care :D (for reference, i do not have any children at the present time)

Yeah, I don't care if he's a pain in the ass, as long as he's that same pain in the ass to opposing defenses :rockon:

Although I do like players that love the fans. But usually QBs are like that, you'll only find a few in this league who will stop what they're doing and talk to you or sign an autograph(Manning, McNabb, Young), then there's the guys like Palmer, Brady, Rivers, etc. who will totally ignore you because they're the golden boys.

BF_forever
08-08-2007, 01:31 PM
I think it is fun to get autographs. It gives you more memorys then just being at the game.

I got Brandon Marshalls autograph on his rookie card :rockon:.
It was after the Seattle game with his huge catch and run.

I also got Tom Nalens autograph. He didnt talk at all. lol
He isnt a very big guy.