PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' Henry, Lynch keep colliding in practice

columbiaskinny
08-07-2007, 03:40 AM
By FRANK SCHWAB
THE GAZETTE
August 6, 2007

ENGLEWOOD -- In running back Travis Henry’s first six NFL seasons, he never played against safety John Lynch.

They’ve made up for lost time as Denver Broncos teammates. Many of the loudest hits of training camp have come when Henry bowls through the line and Lynch meets him.

“My coach told us to get our shoulder pads down and run forward,” said Henry, who was signed this offseason. “Unfortunately, every time 47 (Lynch) is there.”

The Broncos do little live tackling in training camp. Defensive players are expected to hit the offensive player but not bring him down.

Henry is a punishing runner, and Lynch is one of the hardest hitters in the NFL. A few days into camp, Lynch came up to Henry in the locker room.

“He was like ‘Man, if I run into you one more time ...’ and I was like ‘I don’t like running into you, either,’” Henry said.

Lynch was so worn out by Henry the first few days of camp, he did some investigating.

“He tries to tell people he’s 220 (pounds),” Lynch said. “I checked the weight sheet and he’s 230.”

Henry’s physical style is what the Broncos wanted in the offseason. He is listed at 5-foot-9, which means he is always running low.

Lynch has been in the league since 1993 and has more than 1,000 career tackles. He has tried to stop running backs of all sizes and speeds, but said Henry is one of the toughest he has gone against.

“There’s nowhere to hit,” Lynch said. “To me those are the hardest guys to hit. You got the real big guys, but he’s so short and compact. You try to get low, you can’t get lower than him. You try to take him on, and he’s too strong. That’s why I’m glad he’s on our side.”

Denver lost four games at home last year. The Broncos blew a second-half lead in each of those losses. Henry should help fix that. Once Denver gets a lead, it will be Henry’s responsibility to pick up some first downs and take time off the clock.

Henry can wear out a defense. In each of Henry’s past five seasons, he has averaged more yards per carry from his 11th to 20th carries of games than he did in his first 10 carries.

“That’s my game: pounding and pounding,” Henry said. “After a while guys will be trying to miss me. That’s the whole plan. Keep punching it in there and after a while, they’re not going to want any more, come fourth quarter.”

Until the Broncos start facing other teams, Henry will keep pounding on his teammates, and he’ll likely have more high-speed collisions with Lynch.

“It’s like lining two guys up on the side of the room and meeting in the middle and see who comes out victorious,” Lynch said. “Every time I see him in the locker room I shake my head, he shakes his head and says ‘See you tomorrow.’”

http://www.gazette.com/sports/henry_25738___article.html/lynch_broncos.html

SeeingRed
08-07-2007, 03:55 AM
Those two are like two freight trains colliding. I'm glad for both of their sake that they are on the same team, not on opposing teams in the same division.

Javalon
08-07-2007, 05:03 AM
Good article, thanks!

Henry can wear out a defense. In each of Henry’s past five seasons, he has averaged more yards per carry from his 11th to 20th carries of games than he did in his first 10 carries.
That's in sharp contrast to Tatum Bell whose average dipped dramatically after about 10 carries.

It will be interesting to see how the change works in our offense. I seem to remember it worked pretty well for a certain #30 just a few years back. (Not saying Henry is on His level, just comparing style.)

dogfish
08-07-2007, 07:35 AM
Good article, thanks!

That's in sharp contrast to Tatum Bell whose average dipped dramatically after about 10 carries.

It will be interesting to see how the change works in our offense. I seem to remember it worked pretty well for a certain #30 just a few years back. (Not saying Henry is on His level, just comparing style.)

as soon as i read that, i thought to myself "somewhere, JR is smiling". . . :laugh:

ReleaseTheBeast7
08-07-2007, 07:47 AM

I honestly think Henry will become the face of the organization in a couple of years. He could very well become the next TD. And I believe he'll go over 10,000 yards rushing here. He's at what? 5,500? So he's got 4-5 seasons to get 4,500? Very, VERY possible.

Orange Cru$h
08-07-2007, 09:18 AM
Good article, thanks!

This is a what I'm talking about! I hope we can start like we did last year and finish with pounding the ball. Tater could not close out the games when needed.

rcsodak
08-07-2007, 10:18 AM
Good article, thanks!

:eek:

JAVALON SAYS HENRY IS AS GOOD AS TD!!!!!!!!

Max Power
08-07-2007, 10:24 AM
That was a great read. It's funny that they have a rivalry going, and facing each other in scrimmages everyday will help them both. If you can tackle a guy like Henry consistently, the run defense will be strong, and on the flip side, as a running back (or any offensive player for that matter), if you can handle the beating Lynch can dish out, you can handle punishment from any defensive player/team in the league, because no one hits harder than he does.

Astrass
08-07-2007, 10:39 AM
heh...fun stuff. I hope they play nice tho =P

Hoserman117
08-08-2007, 02:35 PM
As long as they don't wear themselves out before the season it's fine :P

onechance
08-08-2007, 05:34 PM
great post