PDA

View Full Version : NFL Radio (Sirius) broadcasting live from Denver camp today (8/7/07)

SunDevil_Jake
08-07-2007, 10:23 AM
I searched the forums and didn't see this mentioned yet. NFL Radio (Sirius channel 124) will be broadcasting their show "the Afternoon Blitz" live from Denver Broncos Training Camp this afternoon at 3pm EST. Should be plenty of interviews and insight. I've been looking forward to this all week!

(Edit - Quotes from the show):
"We've been talking about this all offseason long, there is nothing like a Mike Shanahan practice. Probably the most physical practice we've seen to date."
"All the quarterbacks look great. Jay Cutler not only has the sizzle, pop & fastball that everyone has been talking about, but now he's throwing strikes. He has great rapport with Javon Walker. The guy can make every throw that you need to make as a quarterback in the NFL."
"Javon Walker will have one of the best seasons of all the wide receivers in the NFL."
"The #2 receiver this season (in receptions) will be Daniel Graham. He is all over the football field."
"Everybody is talking about Travis Henry going to Denver and now you can see why."
"The D-Line has so much depth, the coaches are just tinkering with all the new toys."
"The defensive secondary is as good as it gets in the NFL."

And I just happened to find a few downloadable (free) MP3's of some of the interviews:
Javon Walker (11 MB) (http://www.mediafire.com/?84cpozfnywz)
Domonique Foxworth (10.8 MB) (http://www.mediafire.com/?3y2hxdg2bex)
Travis Henry (6.4 MB) (http://www.mediafire.com/?3mgd9tlxmot)
Jay Cutler (12.6 MB) (http://www.mediafire.com/?7rqdgdeh1nd)
Mike Shanahan (12 MB) (http://www.mediafire.com/?3jjmxxhmf9e)
Rod Smith (8.6 MB) (http://www.mediafire.com/?0m2yjywf4di)

PatrickdaDookie
08-07-2007, 10:36 AM
Another NFL service I don't subscribe to. =(

oldustyballs
08-07-2007, 12:24 PM
I'm listening to it.

They are going to talk to:Mike Shanahan, Ted Sundquist, Jay Cutler, Javon Walker, Travis Henry, Champ Bailey, Dre Bly, Dominique Foxworth, John Lynch, Kyle Johnson and more.
:rockon:

oldustyballs
08-07-2007, 12:37 PM
They are talking to Kyle Johnson first.

Scheffler88
08-07-2007, 12:39 PM
Another NFL service I don't subscribe to. =(

You can sign up for a free 3 day trial. I just did it and they are talking to Kyle Johnson right now.

WPBroncoFan
08-07-2007, 12:43 PM
Yeaaaaaaaaaah!!! thank you for this post

// / yardo
08-07-2007, 01:03 PM
So what's going on? Who they talking to?

ChrisSimpy
08-07-2007, 01:05 PM

no one at the moment go to siriusradio.com and click on free trial to listen to it :cheers:

Scheffler88
08-07-2007, 01:07 PM

They are taking fan phone calls.

oldustyballs
08-07-2007, 01:08 PM
They are saying that Jim Bates is going to use diff blitz and schemes to keep offences guessing.

And that Jim Bates is a very aggresive coach.

// / yardo
08-07-2007, 01:13 PM
no one at the moment go to siriusradio.com and click on free trial to listen to it :cheers:

Can't work blocks it.

Scheffler88
08-07-2007, 01:15 PM
Can't work blocks it.

Are you at work?

// / yardo
08-07-2007, 01:20 PM
Are you at work?

<sarcasm>No but I figured I'd block it at home too just in case my work was worried about it.</sarcasm>

Yes, I'm at work. You guys are my ears. So what's going on...

oldustyballs
08-07-2007, 01:24 PM
They are talking to Champ.

He loves the money CB's are getting nowadays. He thought he deserved DPOY. He loves that Bly is on the other side cause he thinks he will see more balls thrown his way. And it is superbowl or else in Denver.

Scheffler88
08-07-2007, 01:25 PM
<sarcasm>No but I figured I'd block it at home too just in case my work was worried about it.</sarcasm>

Just talking to Champ. Asking him about the contracts other corners got this offseason; he basically said it doesn't bother him. Champ said Henry is a back that Denver has never had since he has been there. He also said all they really miss of Al Wilson is his leadership. His expectations for this year are the Super Bowl, nothing less. They also asked him about not winning the DMVP last year and he just said no other corner in history had a season like he had last year.

ChrisSimpy
08-07-2007, 01:27 PM

My work doesnt block it :D

oldustyballs
08-07-2007, 01:27 PM
Just to let you guys know also Adam Schien and Jim Miller said out of respect for Javon Walker they will not ask him about Darrent Williams during his interview.

oldustyballs
08-07-2007, 01:30 PM
They are going to talk to GM Teddy next.

SunDevil_Jake
08-07-2007, 01:31 PM
Did I hear this correctly? Jim Bates is toying with some 4-Defensive End sets (in what I assume are obvious passing downs)?

oldustyballs
08-07-2007, 01:32 PM
Did I hear this correctly? Jim Bates is toying with some 4-Defensive End sets (in what I assume are obvious passing downs)?

They said in nickle and dime packages there was a four defensive end set.

Scheffler88
08-07-2007, 01:32 PM

I think what they said was that he has done that in the past and they were talking about the variety of schemes and packages he can throw at you with his very aggresive deffensive style.

oldustyballs
08-07-2007, 01:34 PM
Well according to Kaylore and SoCal over on the mane they have been moving EE from end to tackle on passing downs.

oldustyballs
08-07-2007, 01:45 PM
I have to go to work guys sorry.

Ted said that Travis Henry is a perfect fit for this system.
Rod will probably start the season on PUP but everybody else should be back before the start of the season.
Daniel Graham was underutilized as a TE in New England and should put up great numbers but dont forget about Tony Scheffler.

All right gotta go peace guys.

// / yardo
08-07-2007, 01:47 PM
I have to go to work guys sorry.

Ted said that Travis Henry is a perfect fit for this system.
Rod will probably start the season on PUP but everybody else should be back before the start of the season.
Daniel Graham was underutilized as a TE in New England and should put up great numbers but dont forget about Tony Scheffler.

All right gotta go peace guys.

Thanks man. Appreciate the info...

Scheffler88
08-07-2007, 01:53 PM
About Travis Henry:

Wanted him because he runs with athority.
Will be able to finish teams off in the 4th quarter.

About Recieving corps:

Grahm, and Stokley will help play action pass.
Would like to get to more of a pocket passing game.
Grahm underutilized in NE. Has exceptional hands.
Seeing the true Javon Walker right now.
Rod just getting back to running. Most likely won't be ready to go.
Will probably be put on physically PUP.
Marshall athletically and talent wise is best guy.
Stokely has progressed well. Achilles healed. Strength back in legs. Put on
a rout running clinic.
Scheffler going to be eased back into it. Bigger and stronger and will be more effective on the line.

About the DL:

Wanted guys who could tie up blocking schemes and allow linebacker to work (DT).
Athleticism and explosion in the DE positon. Saw that in Jarvis Moss, "Basketball type player".
Crowder reminds him of Courtney Brown. Quick first step can counter with power. Shown quicknes in pass rush.
Dumerville; expecting more out of him.
Ekuban looks better than any other time with Broncos.

Expectations for Jay:

Develope and grow. However not a quick fix. Picking things up very well. Understands he will make mistakes. Not forcing the ball and working through his progresions very well.

On QB's:

Good about listening to Shanny. Hackney has done an outstanding job. Great arm strength and a presence about him on the field.

About Al Wilson:

Moved on in regards to the football team, not monitoring health. Keeps in contact with him.

About Plummer calling it a career:

Surprised cause Jake has some football in him, but also because of the $7 mil that the Bucs could come after. Still has not offically filed papers. Moved on from this as well.

More about recievers:

Not planning on bringing any free agents in at this point. Morgan and Terrell give veteren presence along with Stokely. TE is such a big part of passing game and getting Scheffler out there is the most important thing as the TE is like the 3rd WR in this offense.

Scheffler88
08-07-2007, 01:54 PM
I'm not feeling well today. Home from work so I will try to do this for each interview for you guys. I hope you enjoy.

// / yardo
08-07-2007, 02:13 PM
I'm not feeling well today. Home from work so I will try to do this for each interview for you guys. I hope you enjoy.

Cool man, thanks. Just dropped you a contributer point.

SunDevil_Jake
08-07-2007, 02:14 PM
CP to you, my man!

Scheffler88
08-07-2007, 02:19 PM
Fighting through depth in camp:

Getting good work in, helps to be ready for regular season.

Chemistry with Jay:

Everythings about timing. Have added alot of new packages. Makes everything better going against one of the best D's in the NFL, (Denvers).

Comand of Cutler:

Jay's a playmaker, strong arm, knows offense. Knows his reads, and needs to make his plays. Jay can create something with his arms and legs.

Who's number two after you who's stepping up:

Brian Clarks talent has gone up another level. If were going to play today there are guys who can play at the x position. He doesn't see much of a dropoff.

What goals do you have:

Nothing bothering him, strong and healthy. Feels like he did during Pro Bowl year in Green Bay. Did not specify any goals. People in Denver haven't seen anything yet.

About Travis Henry:

Will open up everything. Teams won't be able to stack box if they do passing game will open up. Will bring a whole new demension to offense. Looking forward to watch him and see what he can do.

About Dan Graham:

Brings a mentality of knowing how to win. Great blocking TE. Will also open the offense. Just someone else a team has to accoun for. Compares to Bubba Franks when he was in Green Bay.

About talent on team:

Most talented team he has been on in the NFL. On paper everyone looks good and is a team that can't be stopped. Just have to bring it to game time.

About loss to San Fran:

Everyone has a different frame of mind. Mentality and work ethic are different. Losing is not exceptable. Going out fighting and doing what they can do to get ready every week.

Surprised by Jakes Retirement?

Not really, everyone has a time and Jake felt it was his time to go.

About hair cut:

Just wanted something different. Wanted to change it up but won't go the Chad Johnson rout and die it yellow.

Scheffler88
08-07-2007, 02:22 PM
sorry about gramar and spelling errors. Trying to type while keeping up with the interviews. Not direct quotes just paraphrased. Trying to only include key portions of each interview.

Scheffler88
08-07-2007, 02:23 PM
Shanny, Lynch, Bly, Cutler, and Henry still to come.

Scheffler88
08-07-2007, 02:46 PM
Impressions of new D scheme:

Most in already but some to go and very complex. Looking forward to it.

Thoughts on Bates and difference with him:

Enthusiasem, 100 mph with him at all times.

Thoughts on secondary:

Hands down one of the top in the league. Come together very quick. Gonna make alot of plays and big int's.

About Dre Bly:

Crafty. Understands the game and has skills to do difficult athletic things. Understands the game very well

About DL:

Very impressed with Crowder and Moss. DT coming along quite well, learning everything very quickly.

About Al Wilson not with the club:

Most noticeable loss. Painfull because he's a friend. Tough not having him around but others have stepped up. Alot of leaders on the D.

About Javon Walker:

Really talented. Doesn't look fast but can move. Big and strong and makes crisp cuts and smart decisions.

About Henry and Graham:

Henry will have a breakout season. Dan is a very good blocker but has great hands. Hands are overlooked.

About Jay Cutler:

Poise is there which can't be coached. Patience and poise are his number one attributes.

Having Stokley around:

Very underrated. One of the best double moves in the game, not fun to face in practice.

About the D:

Aggressive and physicall. Wants the offense to know they are going to do their job.

About not making playoffs:

Call about Darrent at 4:00am over took feelings of missing the playoffs. Losing Nash and Williams put life and football into perspective.

About loss of Darrent:

Wants to do things to remember him. Talked about the Youth Center. Wants to win alot of games for both Darrent and Damien.
Going to keep them around; moved on is not the right word. Things are more than likely planned by the organization to remember Darren and Damien throughout the season.

DenverBroncosJM
08-07-2007, 02:47 PM

HAHAHA that was funny.

Scheffler88
08-07-2007, 02:56 PM
Dream come true to be in Denver?

Absolutely. Other backs around the league want to be in Denver. Previous backs have done great and it's great to be here.

Where are you at today?

Up to par. I'm trusting the blocks knowing the cut back will be there. Feel like I've been here for years.

About zone blocking:

Have to have a good feel for it. Fits very well with his style of running.

Lofa Tatupu saying you would lead league in rushing:

That means alot to me. I have to go out and get it done. No matter who says I will have a good year I still have to go out and get it done.

Disapointed with what happend in Tennesse:

A part of him wanted to be there but is very happy to be in Denver. It was a no-brainer he wanted to be a Denver Bronco:

Shanny's expectations:

It's different here. No special rules for anybody. Have to come out and work every day. Expect you to finish every play.

Scheffler88
08-07-2007, 03:19 PM
Note: Final Hour.

About last year and growth:

Starting experience gives me a bit more of a head start this year. Watching Jake allowed him to get ready. On pace or a bit ahead as far as seeing the field. Better feel for where his guys are going to be and where the D will be.

About Shanny:

Offensively one of the most explosive units he's played for. Not afraid to take chances. Running game is huge, will open up more holes. Having Shanny in his corner is a blessing. Can see 4 or 5 plays ahead. Shanny knows D's better than some offenses. Trying to get a feel for Shanny's train of thought.

About chemistry with Javon:

Meshed in offseason. He's got a great feel after working with Brett in Green Bay. Just got to give him a shot and get the ball in the air and 9-10 times he will come down with it.

About other recievers:

Marshall, Scheffler, and Smith are huge. Wants them bake by the third preason game, if not they have Hixon, Clark and Grahm. Get those three back it will add alot.

About Grahm:

Stepping into the role Scheffler had for him last year. Taking advantage of one on one coverage. Interviewer predicts Grahm will be second leading Bronco reciever this year.

About Henry:

Get back to real dominant run game. Most excitable player that was brought in. Perfect for this system. Picking up pass coverage and blocking LB's. Gonna be a force, looking forward to it.

About Stokely:

Incredible the way he can get open. Stokley's IS our third reciever. Peyton Manning is right about him in his route running.

When did the game start to slow down:

The last couple games of last season. The yards are so much more important in the NFL. Getting to 3rd and short is a key.

About facing the Bronco's secondary everyday in camp:

Champ is hands down best corner in the league. Bring Bly, Lync and Fergusen in and we have one of the top 2 or 3 secondaries in the NFL.

About the D:

D-line has to step up and put pressure on the quarterback. If that happens good things will happen.

About Matt and Vince:

I don't keep tabs on them. I concentrate on what I have to do. I don't know how many yards I pass for how am I supposed to know what they pass for.

Will Edgerine have 1,400 yards for Matt this year?

"I hope not!" (Interviewers and Jay laugh)

Goals:

No personal goals. Just to win. Play my game work hard and study. Do my part and check the ball down and get the ball to playmakers.

SunDevil_Jake
08-07-2007, 03:22 PM
THAT was a great interview! By far, the most I've heard Jay Cutler say at one time! He seems to be a really likeable kid.

God, I love being a Bronco fan!!!

rbk_bronco
08-07-2007, 03:43 PM
Shanny just said he thinks Holdman will be back in a couple days.

Scheffler88
08-07-2007, 03:44 PM
Cutlers Developement for season:

You through everything at him. He's got to focus on his job. Hopefully we've provided him with enough weapons.

What do you look for in a QB:

A guy who loves the game, got to have a passion for it. Tough minded, good athlete, skills, and be able to wipe out a bad game.

Jay's passion:

Able to wipe INT's out. Has a mindset a QB has to have. Student of the game. Will develope into a great QB.

Travis Henry:

Elite running back. Makes all the cuts and very physicall. Pleasure to be around him. Enjoys the game. Practices hard and will have a great year. Does everything we look for in our offense.

Concerns with WR's:

Got guys with alot of talent. Look for guys that can run and make big plays. We have depth with Stokely, Marshall but can he stay healthy, Hixon big on returns, Kircus a guy with great ability.

Rod Smith:

Going through weight lifting. One guy who wants to get back right away. When he's ready he will go. Gotta go through rehab. Doesn't care if it's the 3rd preseason game or 5th or 10th regular season game, wants him back healthy.

Special Teams:

Very impressed with O'Brien. Looks for things to improve

Jim Bates:

Known Bates for quite some time. When he became available it was an opportunity he could not pass up. He's helped the defense.

Abut the young DL:

Play ends a bit wider. Dumerville; will be surprised if he's not in double digit sacks. Crowder can play outside or inside, strong a mature. Moss is a thouroghbred. Plays pass very well and surprisingly well against the run but not as strong as he should be.

About Bly:

Easy to get him aclimated. Great hands and instincts. Will get tested opposite Champ. We've go depth. One of the strongest areas we have is DB.

About LB:

D.J. is strong and bright. Could play any of the 3 LB positions. Ian Gold plays the game you want it played, hasn't lost a step. 5 guys have a chance to compete for the last spot. Holdman will be back within the next couple of days. D.D. Lewis has looked incredible. Everybody flashes at times.

About the offseason:

Doesn't get any tougher when you loose members of your family. Team is embrassing their memory. Not a day goes by that someone doesn't mention both players.

Scheffler88
08-07-2007, 03:59 PM
How are you:

Doing better Thats all I can say doing better. Running now and doing some things with cords. Form is coming back and you have to start somewhere. Training staff is doing a great job getting me back.

About Shanny's comments:

I was shocked. As a player you always think your on the fence. To know I can come back when I'm ready is a good feeling.

Thoughts of teams upgrades:

Young group at WR. Some vets with Morgan and Stokely. Got some guys but playing in this system is different. Kircus did a decent job last year. I'm doing everything I can do to help them. New WR coach asks my opinion and then I see the guys doing it.

Improvement on D:

We face one of the top D's in the league every day. Young guys are hungry and know they have something to prove.

Running game:

Henry is a great player, will make a big difference. Amazed at how he picks up the blitz. Can't see why he can't get 1,300 to 1,500 yards easily.
Coach Turner is an awsome running backs coach. Likes the potential of Andre Hall and Celvin Young.

Rehab:

Going to do what I'm told. I may not like it but I'm going to do it.

Jay Cutler:

Will be a tremendous player. Will make mistakes. Some of the balls he throws away are bigger than the ones he completes.

At the end of the interview Rod yells out "Art Monk for Hall Of Fame everyone" He goes on to ask the interviewers to ask Monk for an autographed jersey for him, then say it's not going on e-bay it's going on my wall.

That's it guys. End of the interviews. Hope you enjoyed and now it's time for me to give my fingers a rest and get some sleep so I feel well enough to make it to work tomarrow.

BF_forever
08-07-2007, 05:51 PM
Sheffler88 is just too cool. CP to ya.

HORSEPOWER 56
08-07-2007, 07:05 PM
How are you:

Doing better Thats all I can say doing better. Running now and doing some things with cords. Form is coming back and you have to start somewhere. Training staff is doing a great job getting me back.

About Shanny's comments:

I was shocked. As a player you always think your on the fence. To know I can come back when I'm ready is a good feeling.

Thoughts of teams upgrades:

Young group at WR. Some vets with Morgan and Stokely. Got some guys but playing in this system is different. Kircus did a decent job last year. I'm doing everything I can do to help them. New WR coach asks my opinion and then I see the guys doing it.

Improvement on D:

We face one of the top D's in the league every day. Young guys are hungry and know they have something to prove.

Running game:

Henry is a great player, will make a big difference. Amazed at how he picks up the blitz. Can't see why he can't get 1,300 to 1,500 yards easily.
Coach Turner is an awsome running backs coach. Likes the potential of Andre Hall and Celvin Young.

Rehab:

Going to do what I'm told. I may not like it but I'm going to do it.

Jay Cutler:

Will be a tremendous player. Will make mistakes. Some of the balls he throws away are bigger than the ones he completes.

At the end of the interview Rod yells out "Art Monk for Hall Of Fame everyone" He goes on to ask the interviewers to ask Monk for an autographed jersey for him, then say it's not going on e-bay it's going on my wall.

That's it guys. End of the interviews. Hope you enjoyed and now it's time for me to give my fingers a rest and get some sleep so I feel well enough to make it to work tomarrow.

Could this guy be any more class? If there's one professional football player that deserves a roster spot held for him, it's Rod. If they create a time machine and only one Bronco can go through it to be returned to his prime, it's this guy. You DA MAN, Rod! :rockon: