Clear All
  • PatrickdaDookie
    Playmaker
    • Dec 2003

Andrew Mason morning update 8/7

I love Andrew Mason's updates. He's updated for today's morning practice:

Quoted below:

Training Camp Day 8: Morning Report

The skies above Dove Valley were drab Tuesday morning, and Head Coach Mike Shanahan felt that the performance of his team was equally so after a two-and-a-quarter-hour session that he termed “below average.”

“The intensity is there. Guys are tired, but they’ve got to work through it,” Shanahan said. “That’s what football’s all about; that’s what training camp is all about.”

However, one welcome sight was the return of tight end Tony Scheffler to the practice field. His time in his No. 88 jersey, however, was limited, as he went through calisthenics and installation drills, running a few routes before retreating to rehabilitation work.

“We tried to work him through about a 30-minute period, trying to get him used to running some routes,” Shanahan said. “He’s still a ways away.”

Jarvis Moss remained sidelined following the Monday morning scare he experienced with his left knee; he was on the field throughout the practice walking smoothly with his knee wrapped in a bandage. Other injuries, however, shook up the Broncos’ alignment as practice wound forward.

JOHN LYNCH: The 15th-year safety left the field late in the session after suffering a slightly bruised sternum on a collision with Travis Henry. Hamza Abdullah took his place with the first unit for the final periods of the morning.

“I’m all right. I’ve just been banging into Travis a little bit too much,” Lynch said. “Usually I grind through it, but they pulled me out … I’ll just come back and be ready to go tomorrow.”

MATT LEPSIS: The offensive tackle suffered what Shanahan termed “a little bit of a groin pull” and was replaced on the first unit by Adam Meadows for the final 45 minutes of practice.

“I’m not sure how serious it is right now, but it’s enough to keep him out,” Shanahan said.

QUENTIN HARRIS: The backup safety left the field after colliding with running back Andre Hall at the goal line during red-zone drills. He did not return.

More to come …

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!
  • // / yardo
    sudo su --
    • Nov 2006

Shef's back baby!!!

Comment

• Hawgdriver
      Special Teams
      • Oct 2006

JOHN LYNCH: The 15th-year safety left the field late in the session after suffering a slightly bruised sternum on a collision with Travis Henry. Hamza Abdullah took his place with the first unit for the final periods of the morning.
      Why does Travis keep making it to our secondary? What's up with the linebackers?

Flip side: Travis Henry is a monster.

Good to see Tony Scheffler on the field. Keep brother!

Comment

• jhns
        Banned User
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Hawgdriver View Post
        Why does Travis keep making it to our secondary? What's up with the linebackers?

I'm not so sure he is making it there. Lynch plays kinda like a 4th linebacker. Really while we have him we pay more of a 4-4 than a 4-3.

Comment

• topscribe
          RIP BFC, D-Will, Damien
          • Apr 2005

Lynch plays a lot in the box. He's going to get there a lot of the time before
          anyone else. I remember Atwater's doing the same when he was here. It's just
          the nature of the way they play the position.

Perhaps Lnych and Henry comprise the biggest reason I would like to be there.
          That would be terrific to see those two beasts go at it.

-----

Comment

• Hawgdriver
            Special Teams
            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by jhns View Post
            I'm not so sure he is making it there. Lynch plays kinda like a 4th linebacker. Really while we have him we pay more of a 4-4 than a 4-3.
            That's good.

It's kinda funny that those two are in many ways the heart of the team this year, and they are out there bangin' it out. Travis is really entrenching himself in that #1 spot, AND as a workhorse/bruiser.

Comment

• topscribe
              RIP BFC, D-Will, Damien
              • Apr 2005

That's good.

It's kinda funny that those two are in many ways the heart of the team this year, and they are out there bangin' it out. Travis is really entrenching himself in that #1 spot, AND as a workhorse/bruiser.
              One thing I really like is the 4.39 speed of that workhorse/bruiser.

Once he bruises his way into the clear, who's going to catch him?

-----

Comment

• JRWIZ
                Banned User
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by topscribe View Post

-----
                unlike tater,

Comment

• Hawgdriver
                  Special Teams
                  • Oct 2006

-----
                  You know, Top, I read he had a 4.6 combine...but here's what I think:

Who cares? Last year he busted a 70 yard run, and a 68 the year or so before. He can take it to the house in an actual game, so who cares about that chronometer??

When it's the fourth quarter, and the defense getting beat down, he seems like the kind who has some reserves, to put the foot on the proverbial throat and take it TO THE HOUSE!!

YEA BABY!!

Comment

• !ceman
                    Practice Squad
                    • Aug 2007

Multiple reasons. As most have already suggested, Lynch typically is closer to the action and is almost like a 4th LB b/c of this aggressiveness vs the run. Also note that the defense doesn't take players to the ground. The hit but do not wrap and tackle. The ball carriers are also instructed to run through hits and continue the run 30-40 yards down field. Many times you see the RB's that would already be tackled get popped by the safeties anyhow. Usually not to rough but sometimes they do lay the wood. In other words, don't worry about our front 7, they're doing their jobs and should be fine!
                    Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
                    Samuel Johnson

Comment

• !ceman
                      Practice Squad
                      • Aug 2007

Who cares? Last year he busted a 70 yard run, and a 68 the year or so before. He can take it to the house in an actual game, so who cares about that chronometer??

When it's the fourth quarter, and the defense getting beat down, he seems like the kind who has some reserves, to put the foot on the proverbial throat and take it TO THE HOUSE!!

YEA BABY!!
                      I agree. I'd be suprised if he was in the 4.4's let alone sub 4.4. A 4.55 or 4.6 sounds reasonable... really though, I dont care what he runs. So long as he has the explosive burst to get through a hole when it opens (and he does). His vision is great, his power is outstanding, and his quickness/explosion is superb... Speed is merely adequate but his job is going to be to rattle off 4, 5, 5, 4, yard gains on a consistent basis. If we get that kind of production from him the 20+yard occassional gains are just gravy. Give me a running back that gets 4.5 yards per carry all the time and I'll show you the road to the championship!
                      Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
                      Samuel Johnson

Comment

• LDB
                        Playmaker
                        • Oct 2003

Tony Scheffler...broken foot...back on the field.

Brandon Marshall...tweaked hammy...????
                        Patriotic dissent is a luxury of those protected by better men than they.

Comment

• topscribe
                          RIP BFC, D-Will, Damien
                          • Apr 2005

YEA BABY!!
                          Well, that may be. I was going by Coach Scout.

They had to get that from somewhere. I wonder where.

Anyway, I remember either Kaylore or SoCal commenting in one of his reports
                          how he was surprised at Henry's speed going wide.

So, from the figures I've seen and the reports from camp, I'm under the
                          impression that Henry has some speed.

-----
                          Last edited by topscribe; 08-07-2007, 11:49 AM.

Comment

• jhns
                            Banned User
                            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by LDB View Post
                            Tony Scheffler...broken foot...back on the field.

Brandon Marshall...tweaked hammy...????
                            A hamstring injury can be tricky though. If you rush it, it will affect you all season. That is true even for small tweaks.

Just look at what Bailey had to go through the season before last. That one didn't go away the entire season. Marshall should also be able to play right now but it is training camp and I would rather him come into the season healthy than have him with a lingering injury all season.

Comment

• Hawgdriver
                              Special Teams
                              • Oct 2006

Well, that may be. I was going by Coach Scout.

They had to get that from somewhere. I wonder where.

Anyway, I remember either Kaylore or SoCal commenting in one of his reports
                              how he was surprised at Henry's speed going wide.

So, from the figures I've seen and the reports from camp, I'm under the
                              impression that Henry has some speed.

-----
                              Yours is probably right. The combine is just one data point, and many players get more serious about their careers after the draft. It's not that odd to think some players are faster now than they were when they entered the NFL. I am curious where those numbers come from, but they seem legit.

He's crazy fast--4.39??? At 227 lbs??? That's almost Calvin Johnson freakishness!! I am getting so excited thinking about our offense with him as the centerpiece (sorry Jay, we'll call you if we need you). Ok, maybe not more than Jay, but my excitement is peaked, and I'm piqued. Can't wait...

Comment

Working...
                              X