PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Mason morning update 8/7

PatrickdaDookie
08-07-2007, 10:37 AM
I love Andrew Mason's updates. He's updated for today's morning practice:

Quoted below:

Training Camp Day 8: Morning Report

The skies above Dove Valley were drab Tuesday morning, and Head Coach Mike Shanahan felt that the performance of his team was equally so after a two-and-a-quarter-hour session that he termed “below average.”

“The intensity is there. Guys are tired, but they’ve got to work through it,” Shanahan said. “That’s what football’s all about; that’s what training camp is all about.”

However, one welcome sight was the return of tight end Tony Scheffler to the practice field. His time in his No. 88 jersey, however, was limited, as he went through calisthenics and installation drills, running a few routes before retreating to rehabilitation work.

“We tried to work him through about a 30-minute period, trying to get him used to running some routes,” Shanahan said. “He’s still a ways away.”

Jarvis Moss remained sidelined following the Monday morning scare he experienced with his left knee; he was on the field throughout the practice walking smoothly with his knee wrapped in a bandage. Other injuries, however, shook up the Broncos’ alignment as practice wound forward.

JOHN LYNCH: The 15th-year safety left the field late in the session after suffering a slightly bruised sternum on a collision with Travis Henry. Hamza Abdullah took his place with the first unit for the final periods of the morning.

“I’m all right. I’ve just been banging into Travis a little bit too much,” Lynch said. “Usually I grind through it, but they pulled me out … I’ll just come back and be ready to go tomorrow.”

MATT LEPSIS: The offensive tackle suffered what Shanahan termed “a little bit of a groin pull” and was replaced on the first unit by Adam Meadows for the final 45 minutes of practice.

“I’m not sure how serious it is right now, but it’s enough to keep him out,” Shanahan said.

QUENTIN HARRIS: The backup safety left the field after colliding with running back Andre Hall at the goal line during red-zone drills. He did not return.

More to come …

// / yardo
08-07-2007, 10:41 AM
Shef's back baby!!!

Hawgdriver
08-07-2007, 10:55 AM
JOHN LYNCH: The 15th-year safety left the field late in the session after suffering a slightly bruised sternum on a collision with Travis Henry. Hamza Abdullah took his place with the first unit for the final periods of the morning.

Why does Travis keep making it to our secondary? What's up with the linebackers?

Flip side: Travis Henry is a monster. :rockon:

Good to see Tony Scheffler on the field. Keep :fight: brother!

jhns
08-07-2007, 11:10 AM
Why does Travis keep making it to our secondary? What's up with the linebackers?

I'm not so sure he is making it there. Lynch plays kinda like a 4th linebacker. Really while we have him we pay more of a 4-4 than a 4-3.

topscribe
08-07-2007, 11:11 AM

Lynch plays a lot in the box. He's going to get there a lot of the time before
anyone else. I remember Atwater's doing the same when he was here. It's just
the nature of the way they play the position.

Perhaps Lnych and Henry comprise the biggest reason I would like to be there.
That would be terrific to see those two beasts go at it. :cheers:

-----

Hawgdriver
08-07-2007, 11:24 AM
I'm not so sure he is making it there. Lynch plays kinda like a 4th linebacker. Really while we have him we pay more of a 4-4 than a 4-3.

That's good.

It's kinda funny that those two are in many ways the heart of the team this year, and they are out there bangin' it out. Travis is really entrenching himself in that #1 spot, AND as a workhorse/bruiser.

topscribe
08-07-2007, 11:25 AM
That's good.

It's kinda funny that those two are in many ways the heart of the team this year, and they are out there bangin' it out. Travis is really entrenching himself in that #1 spot, AND as a workhorse/bruiser.
One thing I really like is the 4.39 speed of that workhorse/bruiser.

Once he bruises his way into the clear, who's going to catch him? :rockon:

-----

JRWIZ
08-07-2007, 11:34 AM

-----

unlike tater,:rockon:

Hawgdriver
08-07-2007, 11:35 AM

-----

You know, Top, I read he had a 4.6 combine...but here's what I think:

Who cares? Last year he busted a 70 yard run, and a 68 the year or so before. He can take it to the house in an actual game, so who cares about that chronometer??

When it's the fourth quarter, and the defense getting beat down, he seems like the kind who has some reserves, to put the foot on the proverbial throat and take it TO THE HOUSE!!

YEA BABY!!

!ceman
08-07-2007, 11:37 AM

Multiple reasons. As most have already suggested, Lynch typically is closer to the action and is almost like a 4th LB b/c of this aggressiveness vs the run. Also note that the defense doesn't take players to the ground. The hit but do not wrap and tackle. The ball carriers are also instructed to run through hits and continue the run 30-40 yards down field. Many times you see the RB's that would already be tackled get popped by the safeties anyhow. Usually not to rough but sometimes they do lay the wood. In other words, don't worry about our front 7, they're doing their jobs and should be fine! :rockon:

!ceman
08-07-2007, 11:40 AM

Who cares? Last year he busted a 70 yard run, and a 68 the year or so before. He can take it to the house in an actual game, so who cares about that chronometer??

When it's the fourth quarter, and the defense getting beat down, he seems like the kind who has some reserves, to put the foot on the proverbial throat and take it TO THE HOUSE!!

YEA BABY!!

I agree. I'd be suprised if he was in the 4.4's let alone sub 4.4. A 4.55 or 4.6 sounds reasonable... really though, I dont care what he runs. So long as he has the explosive burst to get through a hole when it opens (and he does). His vision is great, his power is outstanding, and his quickness/explosion is superb... Speed is merely adequate but his job is going to be to rattle off 4, 5, 5, 4, yard gains on a consistent basis. If we get that kind of production from him the 20+yard occassional gains are just gravy. Give me a running back that gets 4.5 yards per carry all the time and I'll show you the road to the championship!

LDB
08-07-2007, 11:44 AM
Tony Scheffler...broken foot...back on the field.

Brandon Marshall...tweaked hammy...????

topscribe
08-07-2007, 11:46 AM

YEA BABY!!
Well, that may be. I was going by Coach Scout (http://www.couchscout.com/dnvr.htm).

They had to get that from somewhere. I wonder where. :confused:

Anyway, I remember either Kaylore or SoCal commenting in one of his reports
how he was surprised at Henry's speed going wide.

So, from the figures I've seen and the reports from camp, I'm under the
impression that Henry has some speed.

-----

jhns
08-07-2007, 11:51 AM

A hamstring injury can be tricky though. If you rush it, it will affect you all season. That is true even for small tweaks.

Just look at what Bailey had to go through the season before last. That one didn't go away the entire season. Marshall should also be able to play right now but it is training camp and I would rather him come into the season healthy than have him with a lingering injury all season.

Hawgdriver
08-07-2007, 12:04 PM
Well, that may be. I was going by Coach Scout (http://www.couchscout.com/dnvr.htm).

They had to get that from somewhere. I wonder where. :confused:

Anyway, I remember either Kaylore or SoCal commenting in one of his reports
how he was surprised at Henry's speed going wide.

So, from the figures I've seen and the reports from camp, I'm under the
impression that Henry has some speed.

-----

Yours is probably right. The combine is just one data point, and many players get more serious about their careers after the draft. It's not that odd to think some players are faster now than they were when they entered the NFL. I am curious where those numbers come from, but they seem legit.

He's crazy fast--4.39??? At 227 lbs??? That's almost Calvin Johnson freakishness!! I am getting so excited thinking about our offense with him as the centerpiece (sorry Jay, we'll call you if we need you). Ok, maybe not more than Jay, but my excitement is peaked, and I'm piqued. Can't wait...

Hawgdriver
08-07-2007, 12:04 PM

Yeah, I KNOW!

But I heard it was more serious...it's a groin problem, too.

rbk_bronco
08-07-2007, 12:09 PM
Nice to see Scheffler back with the team, now Marshall just has to get back.

topscribe
08-07-2007, 12:17 PM
Here we go:

I've got to get back to work, so I have to cut my research short. But, in
additon to Coach Scout's report, here is more documentation regarding Henry's
speed:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/pat_kirwan/news/2001/02/27/kirwan_insider_feb27/

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/fantasy/football/news/2002/09/12/back_page/

I'll tell you, I have seen people here say, "Well, he isn't elite, but . . . " Or,
"He's no TD, but . . . " Or, "He's good but he's not up to the level of LT or LJ."

Well, the guy has twice been at the 1,500 yard level in his career in subpar
running programs (1,438 in 2002 for Buffalo, including the Pro Bowl, and 1,211
in 13 games for Tenn.). He ran for another 1,300 yards in 2003.

He has received glowing reports in camp for his vision, intelligence, and
cutting ability, and his speed to the outside. Moreover, he has been highly
complimented for his receiving and blocking. I predict we have the next
running back superstar, right here in Denver. :rockon:

-----

Scheffler88
08-07-2007, 12:19 PM
I hope this is a sign that our backs are bruisers :fight:and not that our safties are loosers:sad:. I think it's a great sign our backs are running with athority and putting it to the secondary.:rockon:

“I’m all right. I’ve just been banging into Travis a little bit too much,” Lynch said. “Usually I grind through it, but they pulled me out … I’ll just come back and be ready to go tomorrow.”

QUENTIN HARRIS: The backup safety left the field after colliding with running back Andre Hall at the goal line during red-zone drills. He did not return.

topscribe
08-07-2007, 12:22 PM
I hope this is a sign that our backs are bruisers :fight:and not that our safties are loosers:sad:. I think it's a great sign our backs are running with athority and putting it to the secondary.:rockon:

You talking about Lynch? Like, seven Pro Bowls?

-----

Scheffler88
08-07-2007, 12:27 PM
You talking about Lynch? Like, seven Pro Bowls?

-----

It was ment as a joke. You see how bruisers and loosers rhyme? I know Lynch is a stud, I was just trying to make a point that it's good to see our backs really pounding the ball.

topscribe
08-07-2007, 12:29 PM
It was ment as a joke. You see how bruisers and loosers rhyme? I know Lynch is a stud, I was just trying to make a point that it's good to see our backs really pounding the ball.
Okay. *whew* You've restored my faith in you. *wipes brow*

:D

-----

!ceman
08-07-2007, 01:02 PM
Here we go:

speed:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/pat_kirwan/news/2001/02/27/kirwan_insider_feb27/

I'll tell you, I have seen people here say, "Well, he isn't elite, but . . . " Or,
"He's no TD, but . . . " Or, "He's good but he's not up to the level of LT or LJ."

-----

I've watched him run at camp several times and you probably saw me report that his speed was good getting to the outside. I'd be suprised if he was a 4.4 guy... but like I said, his explosion is on a different lvl than most. His speed is more than adequate and his patience truly is more important than speed. Is he going to run away from NFL CB's... probably not, but then again Mike Anderson ran away from Shawn Springs once so who knows. Speed is overrated. Quickness and explosion are what counts and Travis Henry has both. If he runs a 4.3 then that's just a major bonus!

bleedbluorange
08-07-2007, 01:10 PM
I've watched him run at camp several times and you probably saw me report that his speed was good getting to the outside. I'd be suprised if he was a 4.4 guy... but like I said, his explosion is on a different lvl than most. His speed is more than adequate and his patience truly is more important than speed. Is he going to run away from NFL CB's... probably not, but then again Mike Anderson ran away from Shawn Springs once so who knows. Speed is overrated. Quickness and explosion are what counts and Travis Henry has both. If he runs a 4.3 then that's just a major bonus!
Good post. I think your right.

I'll just mention 4.4 or 4.3 is irrelevant. It's football speed that counts. As many of our good backs over the years have proven, if you keep bangin than the big runs will come. We've had several guys with big gains that dont have top end speed. I'll take the power of Henry over the speed of Tatum.

topscribe
08-07-2007, 01:37 PM
Well, I'll trust your eyes because I haven't been there, obviously. I was only
reporting the figures on Henry's speed. And I've appreciated your reports, as I
have told you.

I know all those things about how other factors are as important, if not more,
than speed. I figured, however, that it is a no-brainer that Henry has those
other attributes, as you implied. So I didn't feel a need to become redundant
with the facts.

What I was saying was that I was surprised to find out that Henry is so fast.
According to the Combine and Coach Scout, I guess he is. That ought to
translate to "football speed," too, since he has a body that probably would
not be too affected by a few pounds of pads.

Just my 2¢ *shrugs*

P.S. However, in answer to bleedbluorange, yes, speed is relevant . . . very
relevant. Else, they would pay no attention to it at all. It's just that other
important factors also weigh in on evaluating a player. :)

-----

PatrickdaDookie
08-07-2007, 01:38 PM
Updated again:

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/mason/

JRWIZ
08-07-2007, 02:03 PM

I guess that my biggest concern is why is the guy getting past warren, big guy and the De's and should a LB be in play just a bit more than John Lynch I know he plays a great STRONG safety. But these others a built a bit heavier than John should be taking the pounding.

If I remember Bates defenses in the past the LB's are the run stoppers and the SS is playing more shallow center field if you get my BB lingo.

!ceman
08-07-2007, 02:09 PM
I guess that my biggest concern is why is the guy getting past warren, big guy and the De's and should a LB be in play just a bit more than John Lynch I know he plays a great STRONG safety. But these others a built a bit heavier than John should be taking the pounding.

If I remember Bates defenses in the past the LB's are the run stoppers and the SS is playing more shallow center field if you get my BB lingo.

Short answer. John Lynch doesn't play SS, he's our Free Safety.

Short answer. The LB's, DE's, and DT's are not allowed to tackle to the ground.

Short answer. The RB's, WR's, and TE's are instructed to continue running some 40 yards to "finish the play" regardless of whether they were "down" earlier.

Short answer. John Lynch likes to give those guys a thump as they come through.

Long answer was posted earlier in this thread.

!ceman
08-07-2007, 02:09 PM
Well, I'll trust your eyes because I haven't been there, obviously. I was only
reporting the figures on Henry's speed. And I've appreciated your reports, as I
have told you.

I know all those things about how other factors are as important, if not more,
than speed. I figured, however, that it is a no-brainer that Henry has those
other attributes, as you implied. So I didn't feel a need to become redundant
with the facts.

What I was saying was that I was surprised to find out that Henry is so fast.
According to the Combine and Coach Scout, I guess he is. That ought to
translate to "football speed," too, since he has a body that probably would
not be too affected by a few pounds of pads.

Just my 2¢ *shrugs*

P.S. However, in answer to bleedbluorange, yes, speed is relevant . . . very
relevant. Else, they would pay no attention to it at all. It's just that other
important factors also weigh in on evaluating a player. :)

-----

I too would be suprised (pleasantly) if he runs in the 4.4's

TheWookieeBronco
08-07-2007, 02:21 PM
Here we go:

speed:

-----

I thought that the minute we signed Henry and even before that. The guy has got skills and will work his socks off on the field.

The three things you need in a runningback are:

1. Power
2. The ability to work your socks off.
3. Speed

Travis Heny has got all of the above, his ability behind mediorce offensive-lines is outstanding. I think Travis Henry is going to shock everyone (in a good way). Jay Cutler may be the future, Javon Walker is going to really show his true talents the next few years( providing BMarsh can stay healthy this season) but without a good running game NO team goes anywhere in the playoffs.

*Even power backs need speed and even elusive backs need power.

!ceman
08-07-2007, 04:50 PM
I thought that the minute we signed Henry and even before that. The guy has got skills and will work his socks off on the field.

The three things you need in a runningback are:

1. Power
2. The ability to work your socks off.
3. Speed

Travis Heny has got all of the above, his ability behind mediorce offensive-lines is outstanding. I think Travis Henry is going to shock everyone (in a good way). Jay Cutler may be the future, Javon Walker is going to really show his true talents the next few years( providing BMarsh can stay healthy this season) but without a good running game NO team goes anywhere in the playoffs.

*Even power backs need speed and even elusive backs need power.

I'll aruge with you night and day that the three things a BRONCO'S RB need are
1. Vision
2. Cutting ability
3. Power (aka running down hill)

You got one of them right! Be happy. :D

broncos_mtnman
08-07-2007, 07:55 PM

I think that's why he's in Shanny's doghouse.