PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Marshall Back on the Field

Bryceleo
08-10-2007, 10:29 AM
"Brandon Marshall was back at practice — and it was under the coach’s orders.

Friday morning, Head Coach Mike Shanahan told the injured wide receiver that he would be donning the shoulder pads and going through the full morning’s work.

“He said it was just to challenge me, to see if I was mentally strong,” Marshall said. “He knew that I was in pain, and that it hurt, but he also knows it’s one of those things where you have to get out there, push yourself and be mentally tough.

“I was shocked. I was scared. But I guess that’s what it takes. Coach has 30 years of experienrce, and this is my second year, so of course I’ve just got to sit back and listen and go with the process.”

Marshall seemed to emerge none the worse for the wear, and even made a grab at Champ Bailey’s expense during the final period of practice, while looking crisp as he ran his first pass routes since the second day of minicamp exactly one month ago.

“I was kind of hestitant at first, but as you can see, I’ve got a smile on my face,” Marshall said after Friday’s practice.

More to come …"

Too bad it too the coach telling him to get his a** out there. he needs to have that drive on his own!!!

CSU_stat
08-10-2007, 10:34 AM
Too bad it too the coach telling him to get his a** out there. he needs to have that drive on his own!!!

True, but it's early in his career. Some people are naturally motivated; some need a lesson. If Marshall is as motivated to be in the NFL as he says he is, he can take this lesson, learn from it, and step up his game a bit. If he doesn't change his habits, then we have a problem...

LordTrychon
08-10-2007, 10:42 AM
If he came out no worse the wear, I'm glad to hear it...

Shanny probably wanted to get him ready to get some game exp. monday...

At the same time, I don't blame Marshall if it wasn't a drive issue... if he was worried about hurting himself and not being able to play later... that makes sense... but I'm glad he got out and practiced.

no-pseudo-fan
08-10-2007, 10:44 AM
There has to be a lot more to this story. B Marsh isn't a punk. Shanahan had to have some kind of go ahead from the training staff. What I would have given to be a fly on the wall for that conversation.

Archimedes Owl
08-10-2007, 10:58 AM
Would you please add a link?

Hawgdriver
08-10-2007, 11:15 AM
There has to be a lot more to this story. B Marsh isn't a punk. Shanahan had to have some kind of go ahead from the training staff. What I would have given to be a fly on the wall for that conversation.

My thoughts exactly.

jhns
08-10-2007, 11:18 AM
Would you please add a link?

It's the last entry on Mason's blog.

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/mason

LordTrychon
08-10-2007, 11:21 AM
It's the last entry on Mason's blog.

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/mason

Thanks... I was starting to wonder. lol. :salute:

ruffryder7447
08-10-2007, 11:27 AM
I think it was all in his head. But then again I'm not feeling his pain.

blue diamond
08-10-2007, 11:37 AM
Marshall nevertheless placed the blame for his absence on himself.

“It was just scar tissue in there. It was me not being mentally tough,” he said. “I’m sure there’s going to be a day where I’m down in the future. It’s one of those things I’m going to have to push through.”

Unbelievable. Is this guy seriously that soft?

He has got to get in there and fight for his spot. Rod Smith is not rubbing off on him to much. Hopefully he doesn't have any setbacks and this is the last of this.

Brandon really comes off soft as clam chowder though.

TXBRONC
08-10-2007, 11:41 AM
"Brandon Marshall was back at practice — and it was under the coach’s orders.

Friday morning, Head Coach Mike Shanahan told the injured wide receiver that he would be donning the shoulder pads and going through the full morning’s work.

“He said it was just to challenge me, to see if I was mentally strong,” Marshall said. “He knew that I was in pain, and that it hurt, but he also knows it’s one of those things where you have to get out there, push yourself and be mentally tough.

“I was shocked. I was scared. But I guess that’s what it takes. Coach has 30 years of experienrce, and this is my second year, so of course I’ve just got to sit back and listen and go with the process.”

Marshall seemed to emerge none the worse for the wear, and even made a grab at Champ Bailey’s expense during the final period of practice, while looking crisp as he ran his first pass routes since the second day of minicamp exactly one month ago.

“I was kind of hestitant at first, but as you can see, I’ve got a smile on my face,” Marshall said after Friday’s practice.

More to come …"

If had no drive we wouldn't have gone out in the first place. He's not the first player who has needed a little push when dealing with a injury.

Elway was knocked for it until he played with a pulled muscle against the Steelers in the playoffs in his second season.

rbk_bronco
08-10-2007, 11:50 AM
Atleast it sounds like he's doing good for his first time back in awhile, hopefully he can get ready for our 2nd pre season games.

TXBRONC
08-10-2007, 12:01 PM
Atleast it sounds like he's doing good for his first time back in awhile, hopefully he can get ready for our 2nd pre season games.

He might see some action Monday Night.

rbk_bronco
08-10-2007, 12:04 PM
He might see some action Monday Night.

Really?, in Kaylore's report he sais Shanny said that Marshall is aiming for the Cowboys game or the Browns game...
It would be pretty cool if we see him on monday even if it is for a bit.

TXBRONC
08-10-2007, 12:07 PM
Really?, in Kaylore's report he sais Shanny said that Marshall is aiming for the Cowboys game or the Browns game...
It would be pretty cool if we see him on monday even if it is for a bit.

I guess missed that part. When Kaylore tells us these things I taken at his word since he is at ground zero.

Bryceleo
08-10-2007, 01:24 PM
I look at it this way I played catcher in baseball for four seasons with severe scar tissue in my knee i know what it feels like. You ice it up take some advil and play. Just the way it is.

I understand this is the NFL but hey scar tissue is scar tissue you can take it out and comes right back but it's something you can get past very easily. So if this is all it is then it comes down to one thing in my mind when does he want to push himself and just go out there and do what he needs to do to earn his spot on the team????

ballen
08-10-2007, 02:04 PM
If this is the first time he has had a scar tissue problem it is understandable that he is not sure if he is ready to go or not. It takes the trainers and Shanny to let him know that it is okay to push it. He could be thinking he might re-injure himself. I don't think he is being soft, I just think he hasn't had this kind of inury before and needs to be taught how it is supposed to feel. It's hard for the trainers because they can not actually feel what he is feeling. I'm still looking forward to a solid year from Marshall.

rcsodak
08-11-2007, 10:27 AM
Fans calling NFL players "soft".....

PRICELESS!

:laugh:

TXBRONC
08-11-2007, 11:29 AM
Fans calling NFL players "soft".....

PRICELESS!

:laugh:

I was listening to Rush Limbaugh the other day and during the program he mentioned that one time was a pro game and sitting with some well known agent (unfortunately I don't the agents name). During the game the agent said something to the effect that most fans wouldn't even get up from the hits these guys take.

gobroncsnv
08-11-2007, 01:32 PM
It was Leigh Steinberg.

This is all too true... Those that have played ball up to even the college level have a hard time adjusting to the speed and physicality of this game. I guess that is why the commercials with "Joe Sixpack" in the locker room (and being shown a players jock strap) and training room (getting a dislocated finger popped back in) are so right on. It's one thing to watch these guys on TV, another thing to get out there and run with them.

My main concern about BMarsh is him getting his timing with Cutler back, and it sounds like they pretty much clicked on his first practice back. I like the kid's game, and I'm not worried about his "softness". Seemed to me like he made plays whenever he was given a chance. That said, I'm glad to see we have someone, both players AND Shanny, pushing him. He still needs to earn it.

Broncosinindy
08-11-2007, 01:56 PM
These players maybe tougher then your average fan but i will say as of this point Marshall is on the bottom as far as it goes in the pros.

gobroncsnv
08-11-2007, 01:59 PM
Interesting quote that you have in your sig...

Broncosinindy
08-11-2007, 02:04 PM
Interesting quote that you have in your sig...

Being a ex bull rider i know all about pain. football players couldnt hold a candle to a professional bull rider.

There are people that can handle it and there are people that cant. the ones that cant arent around v ery long

gobroncsnv
08-11-2007, 02:46 PM
Not even going to try to compare how many ways, let alone the severity, a bull rider can get messed over. Just that a wide receiver with bad quads is fairly useless. He's young, and from all reports I've seen, hasn't experienced much in the way of scar tissue before... thought it was still pulled. Upshot is, Shanny got him back out there and showed him he could play through it, and he seemed to do really well, especially for a first day back. I just chalk it up to a lesson learned. I think he'll be just fine.

Broncosinindy
08-11-2007, 04:21 PM
Not even going to try to compare how many ways, let alone the severity, a bull rider can get messed over. Just that a wide receiver with bad quads is fairly useless. He's young, and from all reports I've seen, hasn't experienced much in the way of scar tissue before... thought it was still pulled. Upshot is, Shanny got him back out there and showed him he could play through it, and he seemed to do really well, especially for a first day back. I just chalk it up to a lesson learned. I think he'll be just fine.

No Bullriders ride through with pain. on a daily basis they ride with injuries that put football players out indefinetly. You dont know how many times i have ridden with injuries. Bull riders always ride with strained groins torn biceps etcetc i could go on all day.

Its called "cowboy up" i suggest marshall do a little bit of it.

Oh next time instead of trying to take pot shots at me. you might take a look at those dear words in my sig and try to understand them.