Armstrong Takes Tour de France Lead Thanks to Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armstrong Takes Tour de France Lead Thanks to Team

ARRAS, France (Reuters) - Lance Armstrong claimed back his familiar Tour de France leader's yellow jersey when U.S. Postal won a 40-mile team time trial in Arras Wednesday.

The American outfit clocked one hour 12 minutes three second in the fourth stage from Cambrai to hand the five-time Tour winner the 54th yellow jersey in his career.

Armstrong now leads his team mates George Hincapie and Floyd Landis in the overall rankings by 10 and 16 seconds respectively.

Swiss team Phonak, led by American Tyler Hamilton, were second more than one minute behind in 1:13:10 while Spain's Illes Baleares were third, a further eight seconds adrift.

U.S. Postal were impressive, clocking the third best ever average speed in a Tour de France team time trial at 53.71 kph (33.3 mph).

The stage was held in dreadful conditions, rain falling steadily on a windswept course.

Phonak's result was a feat in itself as they endured five punctures and dropped three riders.

Times in team time trials are taken on the fifth rider to cross the line.

Three riders from Ivan Basso's team CSC, also expected to feature among the best, slid on the slippery tarmac and lost crucial time.

The Euskaltel team of Spanish favorite Iban Mayo, who lost nearly four minutes and most of his Tour chances in a crash in Tuesday's third stage, fought back bravely, clocking the eighth best time of 1:14:38.

New regulations in force Wednesday limited gaps between teams to 10 seconds according to their finish, the team placed last losing a maximum of three minutes
    Ozzy

The "New Black Sabbath"

Armstrong is a stud.
    Pure and simple.

Comment

France should really change it to The Tour De Lance after lance retires
      Go Broncos, Capitals, and Orioles

Thanks SNK16

Comment

Originally posted by Booher
        it has been known over here as The Tour De Lance... the frogs just haven't figured that one out yet...
        Ozzy

The "New Black Sabbath"

Comment

Originally posted by Booher
          LOL
          As far as frenchies are knowned to be drugged people, I agree !
          j/k
          LOL

Yeah... Lance will win it for the 6th time ! Nobody has done that before... Congrats man ! He's so strong that he will be able to win it again 2 or 3 times... The others racers are so far away from him (just like F1 drivers are far away from Schumi)...

And you know what ? Lance takes the lead near my home !!! Tour de France is in the north of France where I live... Ohh shyt !!!... I've just realized that the yellow lightstorm I've seen yesterday was Lance... Too bad... I could had ask him an autograph !!!
          Just talk slowly please... I'm French

GO BRONCOS

(Sig made by Snk16)

(thousands of bisous for Thundergirl, une fille du tonnerre !!!)

My adoptee-a-fan are THE GIRLIES :kiss:

Comment

Originally posted by frenchfan
            LOL
            As far as frenchies are knowned to be drugged people, I agree !
            j/k
            LOL

Yeah... Lance will win it for the 6th time ! Nobody has done that before... Congrats man ! He's so strong that he will be able to win it again 2 or 3 times... The others racers are so far away from him (just like F1 drivers are far away from Schumi)...

And you know what ? Lance takes the lead near my home !!! Tour de France is in the north of France where I live... Ohh shyt !!!... I've just realized that the yellow lightstorm I've seen yesterday was Lance... Too bad... I could had ask him an autograph !!!

Holy Christ!!!

I would have been all over that.
            You should have took some pictures and posted them on the boards!!!

Comment

Voeckler takes lead from willing Armstrong

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=1836135
              Ozzy

The "New Black Sabbath"

Comment

Re: Voeckler takes lead from willing Armstrong

Originally posted by ozzy_osbourne
                http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=1836135
                Yeah !!! A Frenchie takes the lead !!!

LOL j/k
                I think this year everyone will be happy : A Frenchie (moreover he's the France's champion - he won the French cycle championship) with the yellow shirt and Lance will win his 6th Tour... That sounds great I think...
                Just talk slowly please... I'm French

GO BRONCOS

(Sig made by Snk16)

(thousands of bisous for Thundergirl, une fille du tonnerre !!!)

My adoptee-a-fan are THE GIRLIES :kiss:

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Knight
                  Holy Christ!!!

I would have been all over that.
                  You should have took some pictures and posted them on the boards!!!
                  you mean posted links, because the [IMG] code is still off!!!!!

http://www.denverbroncos.com/forums/...threadid=13363

Comment

Armstrong Involved in Crash But Unhurt

ANGERS, France - Five times Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong was involved in a massive crash after eight miles in the 122-mile 16th stage between Bonneval and Angers on Friday.

The American, who is trying for an unprecedented sixth Tour victory, was one of 30 riders involved in the pile-up which took place at the front of the bunch. He was not injured.

"It's nothing serious. He actually fell on the tarmac. There is not much you can do when a crash takes place just in front of you," said his U.S. Postal team chief Johan Bruyneel.

"In the first week of the Tour, riders are very nervous and you must be especially careful."

Armstrong is currently lying in sixth place overall, nine minutes and 35 seconds behind Frenchman Thomas Voeckler.

Congrats to the Frenchie...enjoy it wihile it lasts because once the Mtn stages come you are done... GO LANCE!!!
                    Ozzy

The "New Black Sabbath"

Comment

Watch out for Jan!

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

Working...
                      X