Freedom vs. Liberty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freedom vs. Liberty

Freedom vs. Liberty: What's More Important?
    I have been thinking about these two concepts for quite some time. A good friend of mine has an email address that states [email protected] My email account is [email protected]

The question is: Are the two different? If so, which is more important? The Declaration of Independence asserts that all men are endowed with Liberty (which from a certain standpoint can be interpreted as freewill, especially in the context of the document). It does not assert that every man has Freedom. Even the U.S. Constitution establishes certain guidelines to Secure the Blessings of Liberty.

When my friend asked me about it (why my email wasn't the same as his) I responded that Freedom is a state of mind. It is my contention (at this point) that without Freedom, there can be no Liberty.

To me, Liberty is the ability to express your Freedom. You have to be free first.

So now I appeal this arguement to you, the fine members of Broncomania to help me in this arguement. What are your opinions on this subject?
    Freedom
    75.00%
    Liberty
    25.00%
    ...And [sic 'he'] is given power over a fourth of the earth to kill by sword, famine and plague, and by the wild beasts of the earth....

To me they are the same.
    sigpic

Comment

They're basically the same to me as well. Afterall, we get "liberty" from the French "liberte" which literally means, yep... "freedom".

To me, Liberty is the ability to express your Freedom. You have to be free first.
      If one is truly free then doesn't he already possess the ability to express his freedom? If he doesn't then he isn't truly free.

I do see your point though. "Freedom" seems to relate more to the exemption from servitude and contraint and can be applied more aptly to a wider variety of situations. "Liberty", on the other hand, (in our culture) is tied more closely with our governing mechanisms (or lack thereof) involving politics, religion, and other socio-economic issues.

Seriously though. This is like asking for the difference between the meanings of "excessive" and "too much".
      Winter is Coming!

Comment

Can a man in prison be free? I say yes, but he has no liberty.
        ...And [sic 'he'] is given power over a fourth of the earth to kill by sword, famine and plague, and by the wild beasts of the earth....

Comment

Can a man in prison be free?
          Don't think they're free, prolly at the very least a pack of smokes, or a can of tuna...

Comment

Working...
          X