Question on coaching.... and future... just getting your feel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on coaching.... and future... just getting your feel

So I decided to ask a question about what you guys think for next year. As of right now I am basically set that I will be going to Central Michigan, and one of the minors they offer there is "athletic coaching" At the same time I got an offer from St. Scholastica a small private college in MN to play ball (though they didn't give me any sort of position or anything)

I am leaning towards Central as it just feels like a better fit, but I have to ask, does it really hurt my chances to coach after college if I don't get a chance to play ball too? At 5'9 190lbs (who played O and D line) I am not a hot commodity in D-1 football.... even in the MAC....

Just curious what you all think, I got other stuff in mind, basically Communications with either Radio or Journalism... but I want to keep the door to coaching open, as I honestly feel if I get one chance I will take it as far as it will go.
    Bronco fan from Packer Land.
    Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
    Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Personally, I think playing could be helpful just because of the relationships you will forge. I have a friend that got into coaching after he graduated and the first job he took was at the school he played for. The second job he took was from one of his old coaches that had since moved on. And not just that, but there are going to be other players on your team and in your conference that are going to end up in coaching as well.

The other thing is that there is a lot knowledge to be gained. I played a couple years of college ball at a small school and I can tell you first hand that I learned more about the game my freshman year than in my entire high school career.

I don't think it will hurt you to not play college ball, but you could definately give yourself a leg up.
    I'll duel you left-handed

"I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women: suddenly, inexplicably, uncritically, giving no thought to the pain or disruption it would bring with it" - Nick Hornby from Fever Pitch

Comment

Originally posted by delaranta View Post
      Personally, I think playing could be helpful just because of the relationships you will forge. I have a friend that got into coaching after he graduated and the first job he took was at the school he played for. The second job he took was from one of his old coaches that had since moved on. And not just that, but there are going to be other players on your team and in your conference that are going to end up in coaching as well.

The other thing is that there is a lot knowledge to be gained. I played a couple years of college ball at a small school and I can tell you first hand that I learned more about the game my freshman year than in my entire high school career.

I don't think it will hurt you to not play college ball, but you could definately give yourself a leg up.

Well the problem I have is that the school I could play for is going to cost much more... Central I am getting a couple of other scholarships that will lower the cost whereas Scholastica's cost for tuition is nearly the same as Centrals entire cost.
      Bronco fan from Packer Land.
      Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
      Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

I know it's kinda late in the year, but your coach might be able to talk to a couple smaller schools for you about walking on. You can probably find a similar financial aid package somewhere else. You might even try walking on at Central Michigan.

Also, don't pigeon-hole yourself into being a lineman. I was a off/def tackle in high school, and built pretty similar to you (5'8 215). I moved to linebacker when I got there, and even though I wasn't on scholarship, I had the same experience as most of the people that were. They will still hold you to the same standards in the weight program, in the film room, in position meetings, individual drills, scout team, etc.

Just a couple more ideas for you to kick around. Hope everything works out for you!
        I'll duel you left-handed

"I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women: suddenly, inexplicably, uncritically, giving no thought to the pain or disruption it would bring with it" - Nick Hornby from Fever Pitch

Comment

I thought you were enlisting in the USMC! I haven't been around much. Anyway, whatever you decide good luck! I'm helping coach my sons 5th/6th grade team (defense) (BRONCOS) and hope to move up to jr high the following year helping with DBs.

Comment

It sounds like you should go to Central Michigan. Do not go to St. Scholastica; I know a bunch of people who've either grown up around there or gone there and they don't like it at all. Go where you can afford and where you can get the degrees you want to succeed in the future. Just go where you're happy.

I've had a blast at NDSU; but these past two weeks are really making me wish I would have just followed my heart and went to Oregon; regardless of the cost.

Do what you want. I mean, I'm just viewing this on the outside. Do what you love and what makes you happy. Wherever your heart leads you. . . go!

Comment

Take the choice that you feel will leave you with no regrets. Most likely you will never play ball past that college, so you have to ask yourself just how important playing there will be. Knowing you most likely will never play pro, is it just important to play football in college to you?

I don't think you need to play college football to be a great coach. Most of the GREAT coaches, never played or played very little. Knowing the game doesn't have anything to do with how well you played, or how long you played. So just keep that in mind when making your decision.

But trust me on this. You don't want to keep looking back and saying "man I sure wish I did THIS/THAT instead." Don't look back at college and think you missed out on something you really loved. Don't make a decision that will cause you to have regrets.

Comment

I agree with Ravage on this one. Don't pass on something you may regret later.

As far as coaching goes, if you are talking on a HS level, there isn't much requirement beyond some basic Health/PE courses and First Aid. You can get that in any college I imagine.

Beyond that, I'm not sure. Being a player would definitely help if you are planning on coaching college level, as the coaches would be able to study the 'way' you played.
                Personal goals: GOAL WEIGHT = 250lbs
                Weight loss needed for FGW = 120 lbs
                Weight lost so far: - 24 lbs

Comment

Working...
                X