Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
    Couldn't tell you. I teach Latin.

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say it's because more people need to study Latin.

Sounds like most of the complaints have to do with spelling, not syntax; e.g., homonyms/homophones.
    I don't care about spelling or whatnot. My pet peeve is the lack of punctuation. Sometimes you see a long post with little to no punctuation and I'll stop right away and back out.

That's just me though.

We gotta take into account that not everyone here is of the same mental capacity. While some have grammatical strengths over others, those same others have other non-forum strengths we don't see.
    *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
    *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
    *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
      I don't care about spelling or whatnot. My pet peeve is the lack of punctuation. Sometimes you see a long post with little to no punctuation and I'll stop right away and back out.

That's just me though.

We gotta take into account that not everyone here is of the same mental capacity. While some have grammatical strengths over others, those same others have other non-forum strengths we don't see.
      It may be the influence of text-message language changes. When I taught language arts in middle school, it was: A sentence begins with a capital letter and ends with a punctuation mark and has a subject and a verb in between. Then there are apostrophes, colons, semi-colons, hyphens, quotation marks, parentheses and commas. The slash is used much more since the advent of computers.
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
        It may be the influence of text-message language changes. When I taught language arts in middle school, it was: A sentence begins with a capital letter and ends with a punctuation mark and has a subject and a verb in between. Then there are apostrophes, colons, semi-colons, hyphens, quotation marks, parentheses and commas. The slash is used much more since the advent of computers.
        r u kiddin?

bbl

Comment

I recommend everyone should learn about the Oxford comma.

There is a book written on the use of the comma called Eats, Shoots & Leaves: Why, Commas Really Do Make a Difference!

The example it gives for comma usage is:

"A panda walks into a café. He orders a sandwich, eats it, then draws a gun and proceeds to fire it at the other patrons.
          'Why?' asks the confused, surviving waiter amidst the carnage, as the panda makes towards the exit. The panda produces a badly punctuated wildlife manual and tosses it over his shoulder.

'Well, I'm a panda,' he says, at the door. 'Look it up.'

The waiter turns to the relevant entry in the manual and, sure enough, finds an explanation. 'Panda. Large black-and-white bear-like mammal, native to China. Eats, shoots and leaves."
          The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

Working...
          X