2nd shift vs. 3rd shift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd shift vs. 3rd shift

So I applied for a job today that I have a pretty good shot of getting. Question is, there's openings for by 2nd shift and 3rd shift. For those who have experienced both, which do you prefer? Even if you only worked one or the other, give me some outlook on what to expect.

I wouldn't mind 3rd shift, especially coming home on Friday when everyone else is going to start their day at work, but then I'll miss Sunday and Monday night football(And this is basically what I'm revolving everything around haha). Plus if you think about it, working 11 PM - 7 AM, then sleeping from 9 AM - 3 or 4 PM is no different than sleeping from 11 PM-7 AM, then going to work from 8-4/9-5 theoretically.

Then 2nd shift would be 3-11, so I'd get home around 11:30. Goto bed essentially whenever I want to, I'd be able to sleep in, have off normal weekends, all that. I'd miss Monday Night Football still, but whatever it sucks balls anyway and the Broncos only have 2 Monday Nighters this year, and one of them is at 10:30, so I'd only miss the first half basically. Only downfall about this is that I'd be going to work when the rest of my family would be getting home and I'd basically have no time to spend with them outside of the weekends. Also, say I have to mow the lawn or something, I'd basically have to do it on a schedule rather than just go out and do it. And in any "project" that I get involved in, I'd always feel pressured knowing I have to goto work later on.

I don't know, which would you pick if you had the choice?
    sigpic

I got a job a few years ago and now I only work part time there on Fri/Sat night. But I'd work from 3-11 PM. But the main reason I got the job was because I had Sundays and Mondays off

But after a while it sucked because it throws off my whole day. I cant really do much in the morning. And I cant really do much after work. I basically was working between the times I like to go out and do stuff.
    And I did it all summer and missed practically all of March Madness plus baseball plus NBA playoffs and stuff so it really sucked.
    I try to fit my schedule in around sports

I'm going to try to get a job here soon where I work 8-4 or 9-5 or something. That would be best for me IMO.
    As long as I get Sundays off. :dance:

Comment

Originally posted by JayCutler4MVP!!! View Post
      I got a job a few years ago and now I only work part time there on Fri/Sat night. But I'd work from 3-11 PM. But the main reason I got the job was because I had Sundays and Mondays off

But after a while it sucked because it throws off my whole day. I cant really do much in the morning. And I cant really do much after work. I basically was working between the times I like to go out and do stuff.
      And I did it all summer and missed practically all of March Madness plus baseball plus NBA playoffs and stuff so it really sucked.
      I try to fit my schedule in around sports

I'm going to try to get a job here soon where I work 8-4 or 9-5 or something. That would be best for me IMO.
      As long as I get Sundays off. :dance:
      Haha I feel ya bro. Sunday's are a MUST
      sigpic

Comment

Third shift takes some getting use to....

Even if you're the type that stays up all night any how....It should take some time to adjust and is the hardest to get use to...

Second shift is the worst out of the two....2nd shift takes up all parts of your day/night pretty much IMO...Cant do anything before work... cant do anything after work because of just wanting to relax....I would go with 3rd over 2nd...
        :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

Comment

It all depends on where you are in your life right now. If you're married, then you want 3rd shift. It'll give you more time with the family, but it's going to take about 6 months to get used to truely get used to sleeping during the day. I suggest ear plugs, especially during the summer as your neighbors will be mowing lawns, dogs will be barking, kids will be playing....

If you're single, and over 21, I'd probably choose 2nd shift. You can get off work, and still go and party, then sleep in a bit and be ready for work.

It all depends on what you want really. I work rotating shifts, so I work both 2nd and 3rd on a regular basis. As far as my home life goes, I'd much rather be on 3rd shift.

Comment

Well as of right now I work 3:30PM to 12:30AM 5 days a week, but my last day is today.. And then I leave Sunday to go commercial fishing for 5 weeks, and I told my boss the only way I am going to come back is if I can get a morning shift from like 9AM-6PM and have Sundays off and she said we'll see.. So I guess we'll see..

I hate working that shift because after work I go work out until like 2 30, come home go to sleep around 4 and then sleep in until like 12 or 1.. So I really dont get a lot of time to do stuff besides on my days off, and then those days I just want to relax..
            WE ARE WHO THEY THOUGHT WE WERE

Comment

Working...
            X