15 years ago today, in 1993:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15 years ago today, in 1993:

It seems like an annual thing for me to do on this day....

As some of you know, the 2001 hit movie "Black Hawk Down" was made because of this battle....

The US was in Somalia to aid and help the people, and to stop the warlords from stealing the food that was sent for the people.

On October 3rd, 1993 a call came in saying that the US had good intel about some warlords who were in a meeting.

Nineteen aircraft, twelve vehicles and 160 men were sent into Mogadishu Somalia, to capture the warlords, and also hopng warlord Mohamed Farrah Aidid was apart of that meeting (in which he wasn't).

There was a wide variety of forces on that day, Delta Force, Ranger teams, an air element provided by the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment, four Navy SEAL operators... and many medics/doctors who were needed by the end of the battle.

The battle went smooth until one of the Black Hawks was hit by an RPG, crashing into the middle of a city of angry Somalian men, woman, and even children... wanting to kill every American they saw.

Later in the battle, as forces were trying to get to the first downed Black Hawk, a second Black Hawk was hit... and also crashed.

Here you can read about the 2 heroic Delta snipers, Randy Shugart and Gary Gordon, and what they did in risking their lives to protect the crew of the second Black Hawk.

In the end, 19 American lives were lost (18 on the day of the battle, and 1 in the later days who fought in the battle), and many distinguished medals were given, from purple hearts, to the medal of honor.

I'm not going to write every single detail about the battle, (I could since I have studied the battle since 2000) so I'll provide you with a couple of nice links that help you follow the battle.

I was just a little boy when this happened, so I don't remember it at all... But I had to read the book for a class and I just fell in love with the soldiers, and the heroism and brotherhood that they showed on that day. I try to tell everyone, everyone about the battle.... So please, take the time and read the information I provided for you.

Never forget, 10/03/93

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...ush/firefight/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Mogadishu_(1993)

Still interested? You can read the entire book online:

http://inquirer.philly.com/packages/somalia/sitemap.asp
    Last edited by Peerless; 10-03-2009, 06:10 PM.

Originally posted by B4Bronco6 View Post

As some of you know, the 2001 hit movie "Black Hawk Down" was made because of this battle....

The US was in Somalia to aid and help the people, and to stop the warlords from stealing the food that was sent for the people.

On October 3rd, 1993 a call came in saying that the US had good intel about some warlords who were in a meeting.

Nineteen aircraft, twelve vehicles and 160 men were sent into Mogadishu Somalia, to capture the warlords, and also hopng warlord Mohamed Farrah Aidid was apart of that meeting (in which he wasn't).

There was a wide variety of forces on that day, Delta Force, Ranger teams, an air element provided by the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment, four Navy SEAL operators... and many medics/doctors who were needed by the end of the battle.

The battle went smooth until one of the Black Hawks was hit by an RPG, crashing into the middle of a city of angry Somalian men, woman, and even children... wanting to kill every American they saw.

Later in the battle, as forces were trying to get to the first downed Black Hawk, a second Black Hawk was hit... and also crashed.

Here you can read about the 2 heroic Delta snipers, Randy Shugart and Gary Gordon, and what they did in risking their lives to protect the crew of the second Black Hawk. http://www.medalofhonor.com/Somalia.htm

In the end, 19 American lives were lost (18 on the day of the battle, and 1 in the later days who fought in the battle), and many distinguished medals were given, from purple hearts, to the medal of honor.

I'm not going to write every single detail about the battle, (I could since I have studied the battle since 2000) so I'll provide you with a couple of nice links that help you follow the battle.

I was just a little boy when this happened, so I don't remember it at all... But I had to read the book for a class and I just fell in love with the soldiers, and the heroism and brotherhood that they showed on that day. I try to tell everyone, everyone about the battle.... So please, take the time and read the information I provided for you.

Never forget, 10/03/93

Great tribute.
    sigpic

Comment

It will never cease to amazme me how single events in history have ways of grabbing peoples attention. The JFK shooting, landing on the moon, Abraham's speech at Gettysburg.... but it's also great of someone like you to point out the herosism involved. Good on ya. I watched the movie when it came out and even to this day it comes up in my mind. I don't really have a point to my post apparently.. but good on ya for taking the time to remember those brave men in all they did.
      *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
      *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
      *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

thanks b4b6...

it's a great movie and an unfortunate event...

its great that you posted this tribute to the people involved and to those that lost their lives...

id cp ya but i must spread
        sigpic

sig by B4B6..

Comment

Good reminder, B4B6.

I never read the book, but I've seen the movie a couple times. The selflessness of the soldiers as they were portrayed was truly heroic. I am humbled when I read about or see events such as this one.
          Originally posted by Broncoholic3233
          FF is awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by B4Bronco6 View Post

Here you can read about the 2 heroic Delta snipers, Randy Shugart and Gary Gordon, and what they did in risking their lives to protect the crew of the second Black Hawk. http://www.medalofhonor.com/Somalia.htm

Never forget, 10/03/93

Thank you!!!
            Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
            sigpic

Comment

Read the book . A truly heroic effort against unbelievable odds. Nice tribute.
              Those Indians could prove troublesome...General George Armstrong Custer

Comment

Very nice, B4B6.
                Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

Lupus Awareness Month

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Everytime I start reading some of the stories I find my self sucked in and reading for like an hour.
                  sigpic

Comment

16 years ago today...

Bump.

Comment

:salute!: :usa: :salute!:

God Bless the men and women who have fought and died for our country!

Comment

Two Years Later

RIP to the men who fell in this battle.

I've read the book, watched the movie, and studied this battle. I don't know why I'm so attached to this event, but I think it shows and defines a true American fighting man.

Watching the back of the guy next to you, and never leaving a man behind.

As a previous poster said: "A truly heroic effort against unbelievable odds."

If you never heard or read the story of Randy Shugart and Gary Gordon, I plead for you to do so.

*GORDON, GARY I.

Rank and organization: Master Sergeant, U.S. Army. Place and date: 3 October 1993, Mogadishu, Somalia. Entered service at: ----- Born: Lincoln, Maine. Citation: Master Sergeant Gordon, United States Army, distinguished himself by actions above and beyond the call of duty on 3 October 1993, while serving as Sniper Team Leader, United States Army Special Operations Command with Task Force Ranger in Mogadishu, Somalia. Master Sergeant Gordon's sniper team provided precision fires from the lead helicopter during an assault and at two helicopter crash sites, while subjected to intense automatic weapons and rocket propelled grenade fires. When Master Sergeant Gordon learned that ground forces were not immediately available to secure the second crash site, he and another sniper unhesitatingly volunteered to be inserted to protect the four critically wounded personnel, despite being well aware of the growing number of enemy personnel closing in on the site. After his third request to be inserted, Master Sergeant Gordon received permission to perform his volunteer mission. When debris and enemy ground fires at the site caused them to abort the first attempt, Master Sergeant Gordon was inserted one hundred meters south of the crash site. Equipped with only his sniper rifle and a pistol, Master Sergeant Gordon and his fellow sniper, while under intense small arms fire from the enemy, fought their way through a dense maze of shanties and shacks to reach the critically injured crew members. Master Sergeant Gordon immediately pulled the pilot and the other crew members from the aircraft, establishing a perimeter which placed him and his fellow sniper in the most vulnerable position. Master Sergeant Gordon used his long range rifle and side arm to kill an undetermined number of attackers until he depleted his ammunition. Master Sergeant Gordon then went back to the wreckage, recovering some of the crew's weapons and ammunition. Despite the fact that he was critically low on ammunition, he provided some of it to the dazed pilot and then radioed for help. Master Sergeant Gordon continued to travel the perimeter, protecting the downed crew. After his team member was fatally wounded and his own rifle ammunition exhausted, Master Sergeant Gordon returned to the wreckage, recovering a rifle with the last five rounds of ammunition and gave it to the pilot with the words, "good luck." Then, armed only with his pistol, Master Sergeant Gordon continued to fight until he was fatally wounded. His actions saved the pilot's life. Master Sergeant Gordon's extraordinary heroism and devotion to duty were in keeping with the highest standards of military service and reflect great credit upon him, his unit and the United States Army.

*SHUGHART, RANDALL D.

Rank and organization: Sergeant First Class, U.S. Army. Place and date: 3 October 1993, Mogadishu, Somalia. Entered service at: ----- Born: Newville, Pennsylvania. Citation: Sergeant First Class Shughart, United States Army, distinguished himself by actions above and beyond the call of duty on 3 October 1993, while serving as a Sniper Team Member, United States Army Special Operations Command with Task Force Ranger in Mogadishu, Somalia. Sergeant First Class Shughart provided precision sniper fires from the lead helicopter during an assault on a building and at two helicopter crash sites, while subjected to intense automatic weapons and rocket propelled grenade fires. While providing critical suppressive fires at the second crash site, Sergeant First Class Shughart and his team leader learned that ground forces were not immediately available to secure the site. Sergeant First Class Shughart and his team leader unhesitatingly volunteered to be inserted to protect the four critically wounded personnel, despite being well aware of the growing number of enemy personnel closing in on the site. After their third request to be inserted, Sergeant First Class Shughart and his team leader received permission to perform this volunteer mission. When debris and enemy ground fires at the site caused them to abort the first attempt, Sergeant First Class Shughart and his team leader were inserted one hundred meters south of the crash site. Equipped with only his sniper rifle and a pistol, Sergeant First Class Shughart and his team leader, while under intense small arms fire from the enemy, fought their way through a dense maze of shanties and shacks to reach the critically injured crew members. Sergeant First Class Shughart pulled the pilot and the other crew members from the aircraft, establishing a perimeter which placed him and his fellow sniper in the most vulnerable position. Sergeant First Class Shughart used his long range rifle and side arm to kill an undetermined number of attackers while traveling the perimeter, protecting the downed crew. Sergeant First Class Shughart continued his protective fire until he depleted his ammunition and was fatally wounded. His actions saved the pilot's life. Sergeant First Class Shughart's extraordinary heroism and devotion to duty were in keeping with the highest standards of military service and reflect great credit upon him, his unit and the United States Army.

RIP

Code:
                        Name     Age     Action     Medal
                        1st Special Forces Operational Detachment-Delta
                        MSG Gary Gordon     33     Killed defending the crew of Super Six-Four     Medal of Honor, Purple Heart
                        SFC Randy Shughart     35     Killed defending the crew of Super Six-Four     Medal of Honor, Purple Heart
                        SSG Daniel Busch     25     Crashed on Super Six-One, died from wounds received defending the downed crew     Silver Star, Purple Heart
                        SFC Earl Fillmore     28     Killed moving to the first crash site     Silver Star, Purple Heart
                        SFC Matt Rierson     33     Killed on October 6 , 1993 by a mortar which landed just outside the hangar     

Silver Star, Purple Heart
                        MSG Tim "Griz" Martin     38     Died from wounds received on the Lost Convoy     Silver Star, Purple Heart.[20][21]
                        3rd Ranger Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment
                        CPL Jamie Smith     21     Died of wounds with the pinned-down force around crash site one     Bronze Star with Valor Device and Oak leaf cluster,
                        Purple Heart
                        SPC James Cavaco     26     Killed on the Lost Convoy     Bronze Star with Valor Device Purple Heart
                        SGT Casey Joyce     24     Killed on the Lost Convoy     Bronze Star with Valor Device Purple Heart
                        PFC Richard "Alphabet" Kowalewski     20     Killed on the Lost Convoy     Bronze Star with Valor Device Purple Heart
                        SGT Dominick Pilla     21     Killed on Struecker's convoy     Bronze Star with Valor Device Purple Heart
                        SGT Lorenzo Ruiz     27     Killed on the Lost Convoy     Bronze Star with Valor Device Purple Heart
                        160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment
                        SSG William Cleveland     34 [22]     Crew chief on Super Six-Four-killed     Silver Star,
                        Bronze Star,
                        Air Medal with Valor Device Purple Heart
                        SSG Thomas Field     25     Crew chief on Super Six-Four-killed     Silver Star,
                        Bronze Star,
                        CW4 Raymond Frank     45     Copilot of Super Six-Four-killed     Silver Star,
                        CW3 Clifton "Elvis" Wolcott     36     Pilot of Super Six-One, died in crash     Distinguished Flying Cross,
                        Bronze Star,
                        CW2 Donovan "Bull" Briley     33     Copilot of Super Six-One, died in crash     Distinguished Flying Cross,
                        Bronze Star,
                        2nd Battalion 14th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Brigade 10th Mountain Division Purple Heart
                        SGT Cornell Houston     31     Killed on the rescue convoy     Bronze Star with Valor Device,
                        de Fleury Medal Purple Heart
                        PFC James Martin Jr.     23     Killed on the rescue convoy     Purple Heart
                        Last edited by Peerless; 10-03-2010, 09:12 PM.

Comment

I admire your dedication to this Brent.

I just watched this movie last week.
                          :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

Lupus Awareness Month

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

i watched a special on PBS one time with my dad way before the movie came out about this.

when he and i went and saw the movie when it came out, i remember thinking to myself that from the accounts of survivors, Ridley Scott had put together a brilliant re-enactment and retelling of the accounts of these guys.

the casting was superb (from what i remembered from the special, a lot of the guys they chose looked very much like the actual soldiers).

the film really turned Hartnett's career around, especially since he and surprisingly several others had just come from the terrible Pearl Harbor failure.

still one of my favorite cinematic endings ever.

mainly the part where the door is closing and the song is playing... and it fades to black with the door shutting on the plane. brilliant cinematography.

i think Scott did a wonderful job paying tribute to the men who didn't make it out of there.

anyway...

i'm sure there are other battles that match it closer, but for these guys it was their own small Thermopylae.

it's amazing how well they worked together to get almost everyone home.

thanks for bringing this back Peerless. unfortunately since it's a lesser known "incident" and only famous because of the movie, it's harder to remember something like this (as opposed to the event a month ago).
                              sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

Working...
                              X