Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dude, I think I have Tinnitus

Holy man.....

My left ear started ringing (you know that high pitched ringing noise if you come home from a rock concert, or that you hear on TV when someone is close to an explosion?), yeah... that's what I got.

It started 2 days ago around lunch time.. and comes and goes.

Sometimes I'll be doing nothing, and there will be no ringing. But then all of a sudden I'll hear a little ring.... then it goes away, comes back, etc...

tinnitus is basically ringing in the ears. I haven't went to a doctor yet... I think I might wait a month or so to see if maybe I'm just coming down with something... but I hope it's not tinnitus. I'm trying to find out if tinnitus is like a non stop ringing or not... because if it is non stop, then I think I might be in the clear.
    And yes... I do listen to my ipod pretty loud when I work out.

When to see a doctor
    If you have tinnitus that bothers you, see your doctor.

* Make an appointment to see your doctor if you have an upper respiratory infection, such as a cold, and your tinnitus doesn't improve within a week.
    * See your doctor as soon as possible if you have tinnitus that occurs suddenly or without an apparent cause, you have hearing loss, or you feel dizzy along with tinnitus.

Common causes of tinnitus
    In many people, tinnitus is caused by one of these conditions:

* Age-related hearing loss. For many people hearing begins to worsen with age, usually starting around age 60. Loss of hearing can cause tinnitus. The medical term for this type of hearing loss is presbycusis.
    * Exposure to loud noise. Loud noises can damage your ability to hear. Heavy equipment, chain saws and firearms are common sources of noise-related hearing loss. Portable music devices, such as MP3 players or iPods, also can cause noise-related hearing loss if played loudly for long periods. While short-term exposure, such as attending a loud concert, usually causes tinnitus that goes away, long-term exposure to loud sound can cause permanent damage.
    * Earwax blockage. Earwax protects your ear canal by trapping dirt and slowing the growth of bacteria. However, when too much earwax accumulates it becomes too hard to wash away naturally (cerumenal impaction), causing tinnitus or problems with hearing.
    * Changes in ear bones. Stiffening of the bones in your middle ear (otosclerosis) may affect your hearing and cause tinnitus. This condition, caused by abnormal bone growth, runs in families.

Comment

See your doctor as soon as possible if you have tinnitus that occurs suddenly or without an apparent cause, you have hearing loss, or you feel dizzy along with tinnitus.
      Well I don't have hearing loss, or feel dizzy.....

But it's just like a little light ring that "riiiing".... "riing"..................... riiiiing"

Damnit.

Comment

If I were you, I would still schedule an appointment as soon as you can. Whether its a big deal, or just a bunch of ear wax (Eww!). It will only be better for you to deal with it early rather than let it get infected, or more serious. I know sometimes, us guys like to just shrug things off, and hope they get better or simply go away. But when it comes to ears ringing or hurting, its typically because there is something wrong that you can't fix yourself.

I'd see a doctor pretty soon if I were you, you'll likely end up with some ear drops to apply a few times a day that will prevent infection and help clear it up. I hope its nothing serious though!

sigpic

Comment

Had it since my drinking days. Other than saying "huh" a lot and answering the phone when it's not ringing and not answering it when it does ring it's no problem.
          Those Indians could prove troublesome...General George Armstrong Custer

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Wade View Post
            Had it since my drinking days. Other than saying "huh" a lot and answering the phone when it's not ringing and not answering it when it does ring it's no problem.
            Oh man....

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Wade View Post
              pulling out in front of ambulances, not hearing the fire alarms (more like just confusing them), and the constant swallowing of aspirin are just a new part of your new life.

Comment

Maybe its a toomer

Comment

Originally posted by Broncofan1990 View Post
                  Maybe its a toomer
                  Okay first of all, it's spelled tumor....

Or did you mean I have Amani Toomer in my ear???

Comment

Originally posted by B4Bronco6 View Post
                    Okay first of all, it's spelled tumor....

Or did you mean I have Amani Toomer in my ear???
                    Poor brent needs a girlie.

Comment

weird i had some some feeling in my ear about a month ago . . . it would come and go, although i dont know how to describe the feeling it was annoying, i guess it could be classified as "ringing" and it almost felt numb

all gone now
                      sigpic
                      -------

Comment

it'll go away.......
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by str8jacket View Post
                          Poor brent needs a girlie.
                          you can say that again..... this kid was texting me all night on friday when I was at a party

Comment

Originally posted by Broncofan1990 View Post
                            you can say that again..... this kid was texting me all night on friday when I was at a party

Yeeaaaaaaaaa...

Comment

Originally posted by DawgFanatic View Post
                              it'll go away.......
                              It's been 3 days now.... It's not better.
                              Last edited by Peerless; 10-12-2008, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X