Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good books & authors (Sci-fi, Fantasy, Mystery)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jared
    replied
    Re: Good books & authors (Sci-fi, Fantasy, Mystery)

Originally posted by Javalon
    My wife and I own a bookstore and we're always looking for good recommendations on books and/or authors to read, especially in the Sci-Fi, Fantasy and Mystery genres. So, I thought I'd start a thread to see if anybody wants to share.

I'll start off by recommending a great Fantasy author: Robin Hobb. The first book you should read is Assassin's Apprentice. I love authors in any genre that write books that are intelligent, fascinating, and damn near impossible to put down. Hobb definitely qualifies and is my top pick for a Fantasy suggestion.

So, let's hear your favorites...
    While I am not huge into fantasy/Sci Fi, I do have some favorite authors in other genres.

I think Tom Robbins is hilarious, his wordplay outstanding.

My wife has turned me on to Irving Stone. She likes Robert Jordan, I tried reading book one of "the Wheel of Time" series, but I just could not get into it (she has all of them so far)

none are obscure, but I don't know if you have read any of them.

Where are you located? anywhere I could shop?

Leave a comment:

• orang/blu in LA
    replied
    You own a bookstore!!! I always wanted to do that. i LOVE books (but as a writer of fiction, who doesn't? ). One of my favorite quotes: "The greatest part of a writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write; a man will turn over half a library to make one book." (Samuel Johnson)

I could give you a great list of literary fiction if you're interested? I'll name off a few just in case: The Secret History (by Donna Tart), anything by Ethan Canin (i liked For Kings and Planets or Carry Me Across the Water), Bel Canto (by Ann Patchett), Waltzing the Cat (short stories by Pam Houston), Sister (by A. Manette Ansay), Smithereens (by Susan Taylor Chehak), Charming Billy (by Alice McDermott). Don't worry - NONE are romances. I tend to like dark fiction. I could try and think of more, but i know you were hoping more for sci-fi...

Leave a comment:

• Javalon
    started a topic Good books & authors (Sci-fi, Fantasy, Mystery)

Good books & authors (Sci-fi, Fantasy, Mystery)

My wife and I own a bookstore and we're always looking for good recommendations on books and/or authors to read, especially in the Sci-Fi, Fantasy and Mystery genres. So, I thought I'd start a thread to see if anybody wants to share.

I'll start off by recommending a great Fantasy author: Robin Hobb. The first book you should read is Assassin's Apprentice. I love authors in any genre that write books that are intelligent, fascinating, and damn near impossible to put down. Hobb definitely qualifies and is my top pick for a Fantasy suggestion.

So, let's hear your favorites...
Working...
X