Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good books & authors (Sci-fi, Fantasy, Mystery)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elway
    replied
    Most recent books bought, still reading through some.

Stephen King - Wolves of Calla
    Robert Asprin - Myth Alliances
    S.M. Stirling - Rising Storm
    David Eddings - The Elder Gods
    Peter David - Sir Apropos of Nothing

I've read stacks and stacks of novels, was a lit major in college, it's amazing how many diverse things professors will have you read.

Leave a comment:

• Orange&Blue
    replied
    I would say something here, but it has been a very long time since I've read a book of those genres.

Leave a comment:

• Javalon
    replied
    I didn't read it. It's another generic fiction; this one seems to be about high school. From what I've heard it's just light reading material, nothing too deep. But sometimes that can be just what the doctor ordered.

Leave a comment:

• LawDog
    replied
    I haven't read Bleachers yet, maybe I'll get it for my wife for Christmas. What did you think of it?

Leave a comment:

• Javalon
    replied
    Originally posted by LawDog
    For quick reads (which is all I seem to get with 3 kids, etc.) I really enjoy the Bernie Rhodenbarr series by Lawrence Block. Not that I advocate any sort of lawless activity - but well written and entertaining.

BTW, does Grisham have anything new coming out?
    Well, he just had Bleachers come out in September, but it's not a legal thriller.

He has a new legal thriller due out on February 3rd called The Last Juror.

Leave a comment:

• LawDog
    replied
    For quick reads (which is all I seem to get with 3 kids, etc.) I really enjoy the Bernie Rhodenbarr series by Lawrence Block. Not that I advocate any sort of lawless activity - but well written and entertaining.

BTW, does Grisham have anything new coming out?

Leave a comment:

• Javalon
    replied
    Originally posted by LawDog
    Clancy is great, although imho only the ones that are actually authored by him. The ones with a co-author or that just use his name are hugely inferior.

As long as we're talking about best selling big name authors...

Grisham is ok, but I really enjoyed A Painted House. By far his best work, and much more real than the legal thrillers.
    That's funny because most of our customers who read Grisham get all pissed off when he strays from his standard legal thriller.

And the vast majority of people seem to agree with you on the Clancy books that are supposedly co-authored. It seems more likely that he's just coming up with an idea and having someone else do the work while he gets paid for putting his name on it. Not a bad deal if you can manage it.

Leave a comment:

• LawDog
    replied
    Clancy is great, although imho only the ones that are actually authored by him. The ones with a co-author or that just use his name are hugely inferior.

As long as we're talking about best selling big name authors...

Grisham is ok, but I really enjoyed A Painted House. By far his best work, and much more real than the legal thrillers.

Leave a comment:

• ReasonableChief
    replied
    Re: Re: Re: Good books & authors (Sci-fi, Fantasy, Mystery)

Originally posted by Javalon
    Contrary to popular belief, most Chiefs fans are just normal folk like the rest of us. If only you didn't cheer for the wrong team...

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion, RC. Wasn't that a TV series? Roddenberry branching out from Star Trek before he died? I can't remember that much about it.
    I know it's lazy on my part, but this link will explain things better than I can. Plus, I went to high school with the guy, so I'm biased.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...lance&n=507846

Leave a comment:

• rascal
    replied
    Re: Re: Re: Good books & authors (Sci-fi, Fantasy, Mystery)

Contrary to popular belief, most Chiefs fans are just normal folk like the rest of us. If only you didn't cheer for the wrong team...

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion, RC. Wasn't that a TV series? Roddenberry branching out from Star Trek before he died? I can't remember that much about it.
    Yeah it was a TV show. The TV show sucked, but the book was decent from what I can remember.

I'm not sure what category you would classify him under but I have always like Tom Clancy.
    Last edited by rascal; 12-04-2003, 06:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• orang/blu in LA
    replied
    Of all the big publishers out there, Random House would be my top suggestion. They are by far the most professional and easiest to deal with, at least from a bookstore's perspective. When we're selecting our inventory, we usually take more chances on author debuts from the publishers we like the most.
    Really? that's good to know! okay, so i must include Random House in my nightly prayers and all my excuses to make wishes. Dear God, please keep the Broncos safe and please make Random House want me... Thanks for that tip, i always wondered if the relationship between bookseller and publisher had an impact on choice.

By the way, i'm reading another great book. Not very far into it as i just started, but it's by Alice McDermott, one of my favorite authors. It's called Child of My Heart. Her prose is so beautiful it's almost painful.

Leave a comment:

• Javalon
    replied
    Originally posted by orang/blu in LA
    Thanks!!! It's literary fiction (or at least i hope it is! haha). I need to get an agent or find a way to get it submitted, but haven't gotten that far. i have a few connections out here, to agents who rep books for films, but i'd need to see if they could get it to the right people, the agents that submit books for publishing etc... most of them are in NY i think. i thought about submitting it to agents and certain publishers in NY, but there's the question of how far unsolicited submissions get - so at this point i'm really just hoping that someone i know out here can do something.... Do you know much about that? about submissions etc? Oh, and for some crazy reason there are a few BRONCOS references in the book! couldn't resist.
    Well, if you get the right agent and he/she likes your writing, he'll have a much better chance of getting an editor to read it than you would submitting it on your own. Of course, you'll have to pony up a commission for him/her.

Of all the big publishers out there, Random House would be my top suggestion. They are by far the most professional and easiest to deal with, at least from a bookstore's perspective. When we're selecting our inventory, we usually take more chances on author debuts from the publishers we like the most.

Leave a comment:

• Javalon
    replied
    Re: Re: Good books & authors (Sci-fi, Fantasy, Mystery)

Originally posted by ReasonableChief
    I'm a Chiefs fan, so take this with a grain of salt.

Gene Roddenberry's Earth: Final Conflict--Legacy, by Glenn R. Sixbury (Paperback - June 2002)

Leave a comment:

• ReasonableChief
    replied
    Re: Good books & authors (Sci-fi, Fantasy, Mystery)

So, let's hear your favorites...
    I'm a Chiefs fan, so take this with a grain of salt.

Gene Roddenberry's Earth: Final Conflict--Legacy, by Glenn R. Sixbury (Paperback - June 2002)

Leave a comment:

• orang/blu in LA
    replied
    Hey, when you get publised, let me know the particulars and I'll make sure we carry it in our store. I'll even read it regardless of whether or not it's one of my standard genres.

By the way, what genre is it? Have you thought of getting an agent or submitting directly to editors at certain publishers?
    Thanks!!! It's literary fiction (or at least i hope it is! haha). I need to get an agent or find a way to get it submitted, but haven't gotten that far. i have a few connections out here, to agents who rep books for films, but i'd need to see if they could get it to the right people, the agents that submit books for publishing etc... most of them are in NY i think. i thought about submitting it to agents and certain publishers in NY, but there's the question of how far unsolicited submissions get - so at this point i'm really just hoping that someone i know out here can do something.... Do you know much about that? about submissions etc? Oh, and for some crazy reason there are a few BRONCOS references in the book! couldn't resist.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X