ive been swindled... 10% gratuity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ive been swindled... 10% gratuity

i went to Ruby Tuesday's today for some diner...

i had to get it for take out cuz i was running late...

i paid my bill and waited...

while waiting i took a look at the receipt...

" for your convience10% gratuity of .90 has been included. please let us know if this is not acceptable."

now i usually leave even a few bucks for takeout but this stuck me wrong...

i didnt give a tip (money) nor will i eat there anymore...

the way i look at it is, they are trying to hide a tip into the bill... now i ate there a few weeks ago and didnt really look at the bill... i just paid and added a tip... did i tip twice last time

for this reason alone i will not go back to Ruby Schmutzes again...

anyone else seeing these added to the bills ????
    sigpic

sig by B4B6..

I'm all for tipping and chances are I tip too big... but when crap like that happens I get a little po'ed. There's a little taco place near me that i like and you order at the counter. He hands the order to the guy to his left, it get's prepared and then they hand you your meal over the counter... think like Panda Express, but a lot better food!! And mexican... well... when they hand you the reciept to sign it it has a spot for "tip" and I always feel like such an ass when I write "0" in that spot. But my feeling is... they didn't do anything extraordinary to deserve that tip. Am I wrong in that feeling? THEY set up the counter and food. Whereas at a resturaunt I go so I can be served and taken care of and I'll tip them very nice for doing so.
    *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
    *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
    *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
      I'm all for tipping and chances are I tip too big... but when crap like that happens I get a little po'ed. There's a little taco place near me that i like and you order at the counter. He hands the order to the guy to his left, it get's prepared and then they hand you your meal over the counter... think like Panda Express, but a lot better food!! And mexican... well... when they hand you the reciept to sign it it has a spot for "tip" and I always feel like such an ass when I write "0" in that spot. But my feeling is... they didn't do anything extraordinary to deserve that tip. Am I wrong in that feeling? THEY set up the counter and food. Whereas at a resturaunt I go so I can be served and taken care of and I'll tip them very nice for doing so.
      i tip all the time.. hell a cold stone ice creamery store opened up and i gave a tip .. they started singing and dancing... i want to join em but they didnt let me...

i dont ever have an issue with tipping... i tip too much most of the time...

to me this is different... they are making the customers say "no take this tip off my bill"... how many people would do that...

i was going to give money after i got my food but i didnt just because they seem to be telling the general public that a tip is required when its not...
      sigpic

sig by B4B6..

Comment

Originally posted by saltybuggah View Post
        i tip all the time.. hell a cold stone ice creamery store opened up and i gave a tip .. they started singing and dancing... i want to join em but they didnt let me...

i dont ever have an issue with tipping... i tip too much most of the time...

to me this is different... they are making the customers say "no take this tip off my bill"... how many people would do that...

i was going to give money after i got my food but i didnt just because they seem to be telling the general public that a tip is required when its not...
        I see what you mean. That does seem a little shady imo.

Comment

Gratuity is only supposed to be included on tables larger than like 8 or something. Never heard of it on takeout. I wouldn't have tipped either.
          sigpic
          Hate Brandon Marshall and his drops? READ THIS!
          Super Bowl XXXII Run Statistics
          My Divisional Breakdown Thread

Our Offensive Line = Mile Wide

Comment

I would have told them to give me my $.90 cents back AND add a discount for trying to steal money from me.

Tipping KNOWINGLY is one thing... but when they just feel like it's okay to add it onto your total charge.

That's actually probably illegal. I'd report them to the Better Business Bureau for that. There is no excuse for that. Especially with take out. Tipping is NOT a required fee. If you don't want to tip, you don't have to.. even in a fancy sit down restaurant. It's a courtesy...

I have no problem with tipping... if they deserve it, and most of the time they do. A lot of the time I feel bad because I can only afford the minimum 15% (I think it's 18% for parties larger than 8 or whatever).

But take out (like carhop etc.) is basically the same thing as going through the drive through at McDonald's. They don't deserve tips, so why should the people who DIDN'T tend to your needs for your meal for over at least a half hour get a tip?

I'd go back and take it up with someone... That's not even close to right.
            sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

a lot of places do that actually. even non-food establishments. like most hair-cutting chains do that as well... but i see no problem with having that little option to put your tip on the receipt to be added to your account....at LEAST then you have control over the situation.

I rarely add tips to those (unless it's at a legit restaurant etc. or if the person cutting my hair was hella good and nice or something). But since my sister cuts my hair... no tips for her hahahaha. jk.
              sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

Originally posted by saltybuggah View Post
                i went to Ruby Tuesday's today for some diner...

i had to get it for take out cuz i was running late...

i paid my bill and waited...

while waiting i took a look at the receipt...

" for your convience10% gratuity of .90 has been included. please let us know if this is not acceptable."

now i usually leave even a few bucks for takeout but this stuck me wrong...

i didnt give a tip (money) nor will i eat there anymore...

the way i look at it is, they are trying to hide a tip into the bill... now i ate there a few weeks ago and didnt really look at the bill... i just paid and added a tip... did i tip twice last time

for this reason alone i will not go back to Ruby Schmutzes again...

anyone else seeing these added to the bills ????
                Wow! I am a manager for a large restaurant & bar, the only time we add gratuity is on parties of 8 or more, and at that its up to the server to add it. In most cases they make out much better by not adding it.

I agree I would not be happy at all & wonder if its even legal?

Comment

That'd make me mad too, salty. What "service" are they getting a gratuity for? It's not like they delivered it to you, right?

I tip generously when I dine in or get something delivered (usually at least 20%) but don't if I get take out. Food preparation is part of the menu cost in my opinion, so a tip is not warranted for take out. Tipping is payment to the "service" provider (waiter/waitress), not the restaurant in general. For them to add this to a takeout bill almost automatically seems to be just a way for them to raise their prices without it showing up on the menu. That's just deceptive (kind of like paying the same amount for a can of coffee or box of cereal that is actually smaller than it used to be ).
                  Originally posted by Broncoholic3233
                  FF is awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Flatlander Fan View Post
                    That'd make me mad too, salty. What "service" are they getting a gratuity for? It's not like they delivered it to you, right?

I tip generously when I dine in or get something delivered (usually at least 20%) but don't if I get take out. Food preparation is part of the menu cost in my opinion, so a tip is not warranted for take out. Tipping is payment to the "service" provider (waiter/waitress), not the restaurant in general. For them to add this to a takeout bill almost automatically seems to be just a way for them to raise their prices without it showing up on the menu. That's just deceptive (kind of like paying the same amount for a can of coffee or box of cereal that is actually smaller than it used to be ).
                    If I recall properly from my busboy days(15 years ago) it's not actually the restaurant that get's the tip money. At the end of the shift the "server" presents all reciepts for service/food/drink. The store will have that server with a total "bill" of x. So, if those recipets = x the server breaks even... anthing over is then given to the server in cash for the tip.

Comment

If I recall properly from my busboy days(15 years ago) it's not actually the restaurant that get's the tip money. At the end of the shift the "server" presents all reciepts for service/food/drink. The store will have that server with a total "bill" of x. So, if those recipets = x the server breaks even... anthing over is then given to the server in cash for the tip.
                      That's the way I understand tipping to work, too.

But who's the server in salty's situation? The kitchen staff who prepared the food? The person who walks the food out of the kitchen to the counter where you pick it up? The person on the cash register (usually the host/hostess who is probably paid differently than the wait staff)? The manager?

Seriously, who got his $.90?
                      FF is awesome!

Comment

Adding gratuity to various types of bills is not unheard of nor is it illegal by any means I can think of.

It can most definitely by 'shady'... but that's far from illegal.

By adding a 'To go' option to services offered, the restaurant has added additional work without additional pay to their hostesses (usually). They probably deserve a bit more for their work, but as much as you would normally give a server, most certainly not.

They should do their best to be upfront about it... but if you're relying on any business to always do what is best for their customers rather than the business or their employees... well.

Please note: I'm not trying to say it's ok. Just explaining the opposite side.

Comment

Originally posted by Flatlander Fan View Post
                          That's the way I understand tipping to work, too.

But who's the server in salty's situation? The kitchen staff who prepared the food? The person who walks the food out of the kitchen to the counter where you pick it up? The person on the cash register (usually the host/hostess who is probably paid differently than the wait staff)? The manager?

Seriously, who got his $.90?
                          It should go to the hostess. They usually take the order, put it in and pick it up from the kitchen.

It's also possible that there is an expediter position in the kitchen that helps put together orders, in which case, that position would get a portion of all gratuities, not just to go orders... but it would help explain why they add gratuities.

95% of people would NEVER think to tip for this sort of service.

Comment

well according to some Ruby Tuesday's has been adding a 10% tip to their take out orders only...

the dine in doesnt get this gratuity added to their bills...

the thing that gets me after thinking about it is... i usually pay cash.. at ruby's take out is handled thru the bartender on hand... when she rings up the order she usually just says the total and i paid it... NEVER ACTUALLY LOOKING AT A BILL... the bill is the only thing that says they added the 10% gratuity and if you have an issue with it you can deny to pay it...

the 2nd thing is its a policy that makes customers feel uneasy for saying NO take that off my bill...

i would fear that if i tell the bartender to take the 10% off the bill they would go all waiting on me

its not illegal to pratice this policy but it isnt a policy that i would ever want if i ran a resturant... like i said i usually tipped the bartender even with take out orders... but having them force the public to say NO or not even realize they are paying this added fee is rediculous
                            sigpic

sig by B4B6..

Comment

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
                              It should go to the hostess. They usually take the order, put it in and pick it up from the kitchen.

It's also possible that there is an expediter position in the kitchen that helps put together orders, in which case, that position would get a portion of all gratuities, not just to go orders... but it would help explain why they add gratuities.

95% of people would NEVER think to tip for this sort of service.
                              Crap, now you've got me thinking I need to tip when I get takeout...
                              FF is awesome!

Comment

Working...
                              X