Sayings or phrases you hate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sayings or phrases you hate

I hate the following phrases so much that sometimes when I'm in a bad mood (like today) I want to someone.... ok not really, but I do get very annoyed

1. "Mattress Mambo" The morning radio show i listen too probably says this phrase about 10 times a day. Who says this in real life?? If you do, you're probably not getting any.

2. A.S.A.P-- I hate writing asap when I tell someone to do something, I feel like such an ass... but I still use it anyway

3. "Phone Tag"-- A couple times a week I get a voicemail from someone saying, "we're playing phone tag, call me back" That's not cute, I will never say that.

Anyway that's all I can think of for now, I'm sure as the day goes on I'll hear more.....

Does anyone else get annoyed with certain things like this, or am I the only one?

Funny thread idea. :salute!:

I know what you mean by ASAP. You are basically requesting it be done as soon as possible but it looks like you are telling them NOW. I try not to use it but do occasionally.

Our morning show girl DJ has a trivia question every day. She calls everyone Sunshine and repeats it over and over and over.

I used to say "don't get me started" and found out how much I annoy others when saying that.

There's a girl here at work that when planning on returning to her office, CONSTANTLY says "I'm going back to my cage now". God that it is so old. :hammer:

And again here at work, we two guys that all day everyday ask "is it time to go home yet?" Although this place sucks, that gets old too.
    :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

"Sounds like someone has the case of the Mondays"

Lovers of Office Space will know the response to that.
      A book I wrote

Comment

I usually don't like the new ones... the fads...

"No brainer" bothers me.....it's so arrogant and rude.
        "duh" ...it's condescending
        "It is what it is" ......what is it?
        "Keeping it real".....same general drift
        "Quote / unqoute" when they actually physically do the quote / unquote...okay....who do you think you're impressing?

But you know I'm a hypocrite, because I've used most of these when I can't think of something better!!!!

Gotta run, but more on the way I'm sure.

If you don't start one, I do have a few favourites.....another day....

Comment

Re: ASAP

I don't like it either, but when I'm dealing with a touchy situation/subordinate/client then I usually go ahead and write it all out... "as soon as possible". It doesn't come off quite as pushy then.

Even though it usually does a good job of describing the situation I'm becoming a lot less fond of "it is what it is". Too many people are using it and often times it seems like it's just something to say to either avoid confrontation or to mask intellectual and/or analytical shortcomings.

But, I suppose it does depend on what your definition of "is" is.
          Winter is Coming!

Comment

When people say peace and do the peace sign..... its just old and dumb to me...... other ones when people question how smart you are......

Comment

• "24/7" bugs me. Why isn't "always" good enough?
              • "You actually look pretty good when you get cleaned up." - What's up with this one? Does that mean that normally the person is pretty scraggly?

• "That was a left-handed compliment." - As a lefty I take umbrage to the idea that anything that is left-handed is automatically bad.
              • Pretty much anything Deon Sanders says
              • Anytime someone says "I'm/You're entitled to (fill in the blank).
              Originally posted by Broncoholic3233
              FF is awesome!

Comment

I know what you mean, some sayings are just annoying 24/7. I was playing phone tag with my brother the other day, just trying to keep it real you know? Finally when I got a hold of him, we were talking about this very subject. We decided to agree that quote/unquote "it is what it is", and people are going to say these annoying things no matter what we do.
                If someone finds something you say to be annoying, it's a no brainer, you stop saying that thing duh.
                Oh well, I think my wife is coming home for lunch, if I play my cards right I just might be dong the mattress mambo later. God I wish she would get here A.S.A.P.

Comment

How about this one we see around these boards:

Discuss

I don't need to be told to "discuss" a subject if I want to participate.

sigpic

Comment

I have always hated the phrase "Welcome to my world" when people try to share a negative experience. Why don't they use it for somethng positive?

Comment

Originally posted by chazoe60 View Post
                      I know what you mean, some sayings are just annoying 24/7. I was playing phone tag with my brother the other day, just trying to keep it real you know? Finally when I got a hold of him, we were talking about this very subject. We decided to agree that quote/unquote "it is what it is", and people are going to say these annoying things no matter what we do.
                      If someone finds something you say to be annoying, it's a no brainer, you stop saying that thing duh.
                      Oh well, I think my wife is coming home for lunch, if I play my cards right I just might be dong the mattress mambo later. God I wish she would get here A.S.A.P.
                      We all hate you now...

Nah, that was very funny

Comment

Originally posted by KatieElway7 View Post
                        We all hate you now...

Nah, that was very funny
                        I know. It made me bust out loud.

He's so clever and all.

sigpic

Comment

My mom always says: oh pshaw

I hate it so much. It is like fingers on a chalk board to me.
                          ...capture it...remember it...

Comment

I really hate when people say "I'd rather take a beating, than do _____________________",

or they say "I'd rather have a root canal than go through that again"

come here jerk, I'll be glad to oblige you with the ass beating and we'll see how well your tune changes.

Comment

I finally thought of one.

"Get over it."

Only said to me a couple of times and in those moments---I didn't want to GET OVER IT!

Know what I mean?
                              Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage

Lupus Awareness

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Working...
                              X