Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favourite destinations (so far)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Favourite destinations (so far)

    I was wondering what have been some of your most memorable destinations. Even if you are fairly young and haven't travelled too often...go for it! I'm sure most of us will have new top 5's or 10's in a year or more, but lets just go with where we've had the opportunity to travel.

    I'll begin with my 5 favourites (so far):

    The Greek Island of Santorini (one of our pics in current avatar) - This is an amazing place, carved out by a volcanic explosion, leaving it with a narrowness and extremely steep slope. Beautiful views. Beautiful, brightly coloured buildings, including many, many little churches (which are often built for tax purposes!!). You will see it in most Greek calendars as well as world calendars.

    Florence, Italy and Surrounding Tuscany - Florence has a unique culture and feel, along with great architecture and a treasured history. And it is a part of the fruitful area of Tuscany, which was everything we expected it to be......wine and olive growing country....and beautiful scenery. I do have family in Venice (and my Dad was raised nearby) so it was a close call...

    Various spots in Mexico (okay, I'm cheating!!) - I like the Mayan Riviera, including it's super location amidst the youthful Cancun, the busy but low key town of Playa del Carmen, Cozumel, and an assortment of "Ruins" and other great spots to visit.

    (I have had the pleasure of visiting many US sites including LA, San Fran, San Diego, Las Vegas, Denver, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Minneapolis, Orlando, and the fabulous Yellowstone, Black Hills, Grand Canyon and many more).....but if I had to pick one spot that was a great treat for us, it had to be...............Disney World. This was a great time for my family, and the place appeals to all ages. It was so much fun, interesting, exciting, clean, friendly, and kept us hopping. We had the enjoyment of visiting Universal Studios, Sea World and Busch Gardens. Someday we're going back....during Baseball Spring Training!

    As a Canadian, I will add one larger location....British Columbia. They call it Beautiful British Columbia for a reason. It has everything.....The Rockies, the cosmopolitan city of Vancouver, an amazing coastline with many great cities and towns, the Okanagan (which is part desert), Whistler and.....you'll see a lot of it in 2010 as the host of the Winter Olympics.

    Bonus Pick (#6)
    London, Ontario.....say what??? Actually it's a nice city located east of Windsor (which is south of Detroit) and part way fom Windsor towards Toronto. The reason I chose it.....because my oldest daughter is there finishing her masters degree. Good memories getting her set up there.

    That's Five Plus One...and I left out many sites, but each of the above has special meaning to me and my family.

  • #2
    I have never had the chance to travel outside of the states

    So my favorite places in America at least the ones I had the most fun in..

    1.Atlanta,GA Buckhead.

    2.Detriot,Michigan

    3.Las Vegas

    4.Put in Bay

    5.Memphis, Beale St
    :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

    Comment


    • #3
      I haven't traveled anywhere too far from home, but I love to travel around the US. CanDB, I am so incredibly jealous you have been to Greece, that is my like dream destination. I want to go there so badly.

      Anyway, my favorite places:

      1. Moab, Utah. I love Arches and Needles National parks, beautiful places.

      2. Hawaii...I have been to three islands now. Maui, Oahu and Molokai. Molokai was my favorite, it was so empty and quiet.

      3. Crested Butte and Gunnison, Colorado. My family is from this area and I love it. I love Lake City, Colorado which is near there also. Beautiful part of the world.

      Plus I love Laramie, Wyoming...Denver and Boulder. Washington DC was incredible both times I went. I also REALLY love Santa Fe...best food ever. lol.
      ...capture it...remember it...

      Comment


      • #4
        Great thread Can. You have been to some very cool sounding places.:salute!:


        My favorites are easy

        1. Maui~ My wife and I honeymooned there and I have never been to a place that felt more like paradise. From white sandy beaches to lush green mountains, this place has everything. My wife and I dream of moving to Hawaii someday. I would choose this place over any other place in the world. You can almost see God in a Maui sunset.

        2. Hawaii~ I am talking about the specific Island, not just the state. My wife and I took our kids there two years ago. This is the most diverse place I have ever been. In one day you can see Kona which looks like a moonscape. Next you can travel north to Waimea which is made up of pine trees and rolling hills, they even have a large working cattle ranch. And finally you can travel to the Hilo on the east side of the island and you will find yourself in what appears to be a lush rain-forrest. This is truly an amazing place to see.

        3. My very own home, western Colorado. The mountains are stunning. I know so much of this place, and yet to find a spot I don't truly love. This is "God's Country" and I have made this my home for my entire life.

        4. NY City~ I had a very short visit to "The Big Apple" with my brother as part of a road trip we made. I wish I would have had more time to see it, but the short time I was there I was in awe. I am a small town boy, so this place was utterly stunning to me.

        I haven't been to too many places but this is my list.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Snapping Turtle View Post
          I haven't traveled anywhere too far from home, but I love to travel around the US. CanDB, I am so incredibly jealous you have been to Greece, that is my like dream destination. I want to go there so badly.

          Anyway, my favorite places:

          1. Moab, Utah. I love Arches and Needles National parks, beautiful places.

          2. Hawaii...I have been to three islands now. Maui, Oahu and Molokai. Molokai was my favorite, it was so empty and quiet.

          3. Crested Butte and Gunnison, Colorado. My family is from this area and I love it. I love Lake City, Colorado which is near there also. Beautiful part of the world.

          Plus I love Laramie, Wyoming...Denver and Boulder. Washington DC was incredible both times I went. I also REALLY love Santa Fe...best food ever. lol.
          Hey ST....Greece has so much history....I could have talked about Athens and all the famous sites and experiences (like slipping on the hot rocks at the Acropolis and bleeding all over my leg!!!), as well as the other great islands, like Mykonos.... you gotta go to Greece!!

          BTW, I love the places you mention, and I want to see them all some day.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by chazoe60 View Post
            Great thread Can. You have been to some very cool sounding places.:salute!:


            My favorites are easy

            1. Maui~ My wife and I honeymooned there and I have never been to a place that felt more like paradise. From white sandy beaches to lush green mountains, this place has everything. My wife and I dream of moving to Hawaii someday. I would choose this place over any other place in the world. You can almost see God in a Maui sunset.

            2. Hawaii~ I am talking about the specific Island, not just the state. My wife and I took our kids there two years ago. This is the most diverse place I have ever been. In one day you can see Kona which looks like a moonscape. Next you can travel north to Waimea which is made up of pine trees and rolling hills, they even have a large working cattle ranch. And finally you can travel to the Hilo on the east side of the island and you will find yourself in what appears to be a lush rain-forrest. This is truly an amazing place to see.

            3. My very own home, western Colorado. The mountains are stunning. I know so much of this place, and yet to find a spot I don't truly love. This is "God's Country" and I have made this my home for my entire life.

            4. NY City~ I had a very short visit to "The Big Apple" with my brother as part of a road trip we made. I wish I would have had more time to see it, but the short time I was there I was in awe. I am a small town boy, so this place was utterly stunning to me.

            I haven't been to too many places but this is my list.
            Nice bro!!!!

            We were going to Hawaii this year but our dollar took too much of a hit. I can't believe our buck was at about $1.10 to yours for a short time last year....maybe I was dreaming. In fact lots of what happened in 08 from a financial / economic perspective seems like a dream, make that a nightmare.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by CanDB View Post
              Hey ST....Greece has so much history....I could have talked about Athens and all the famous sites and experiences (like slipping on the hot rocks at the Acropolis and bleeding all over my leg!!!), as well as the other great islands, like Mykonos.... you gotta go to Greece!!

              BTW, I love the places you mention, and I want to see them all some day.
              I think I would have to take multiple trips to Greece, there are so many cool places! I will be there someday, it is one of my great life's ambitions.

              Most of the places I've been are pretty easy to go to. Moab is probably the most beautiful place I have ever been. But of course I am really into hiking and 4wheeling so I fit in there pretty well.
              ...capture it...remember it...

              Comment


              • #8
                Felixstowe, England--loved living on the economy. Look out our window and see the North Sea. Totally different life-style.

                Tokyo, Japan--dream is to go back and visit relatives I barely remember.

                Colorado Springs, CO

                SF/Marin County, CA--still consider it my home.
                Administrator

                #Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

                #LupusAwarenessMonth

                "a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by BroncoFaninMD View Post
                  Felixstowe, England--loved living on the economy. Look out our window and see the North Sea. Totally different life-style.

                  Tokyo, Japan--dream is to go back and visit relatives I barely remember.

                  Colorado Springs, CO

                  SF/Marin County, CA--still consider it my home.
                  Now I get your picture.....were you born in Tokyo, and how long were you there?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                    Now I get your picture.....were you born in Tokyo, and how long were you there?
                    I was born in Tokyo. Japanese mother, American (Caucasian) father. I've spent a total of 5 years there. Don't remember much. Trying to save for a trip, but you know how that goes.
                    Administrator

                    #Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

                    #LupusAwarenessMonth

                    "a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by BroncoFaninMD View Post
                      I was born in Tokyo. Japanese mother, American (Caucasian) father. I've spent a total of 5 years there. Don't remember much. Trying to save for a trip, but you know how that goes.
                      Thanks for that!

                      Hope you have a chance to return soon.....

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        By far my fav is Playa


                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Countdown to #1.

                          #5 Denver Colorado

                          I'm now more of a small town guy, but if I were to live in a large town again it would be Denver. Great views of the front range, short drive to nature, beautiful sunsets, and of course Invesco Field!

                          #4 Jackson WY

                          Not just for Jackson Hole, the town of Jackson and the surrounding area is just beautiful. I haven't been in 5 years, and hope to go back soon.


                          #3 Cleveland OH

                          One of my favorite destinations because it feels so good when you leave!!

                          #2 Durango/Cortez

                          Fun, neat small town. I love Mesa Verde, I love the areas north of Durango (Ouray is one of my favorite towns). If in Ouray, you MUST stop by the hot springs pool.

                          #1 Tie - Summit County/Roaring Fork Valley

                          I love the views, the mountains, everything about these two places. I will admit the people in the Roaring Fork Valley (Aspen to Glenwood Springs) can be "eccentric" (read: annoying and rich), you can't beat the scenery, the trails, and of course the ski mountains (Arapahoe Basin and Snowmass are my 2 favorites). Also both have some of the greatest roads for motorcyle riding in the summer, beautiful mountain wildflowers in the spring, and the mountains shimmer with gold in the fall.

                          Basically, there's ony about 2 weeks after the leaves fall off before the snow flies that I would call "not absolutely breathtaking".


                          I've never really travelled abroad, but I want to go to Ireland & Scotland to tour all the distilleries. That's at the top of my list of "places I haven't been to yet but want to visit".

                          And Chazoe60 is lying about Western Colorado. Nothing to see here, it's not like if you visit you'll instantly want to move here or anything.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by PowderAddict View Post
                            Countdown to #1.

                            #5 Denver Colorado

                            I'm now more of a small town guy, but if I were to live in a large town again it would be Denver. Great views of the front range, short drive to nature, beautiful sunsets, and of course Invesco Field!

                            #4 Jackson WY

                            Not just for Jackson Hole, the town of Jackson and the surrounding area is just beautiful. I haven't been in 5 years, and hope to go back soon.


                            #3 Cleveland OH

                            One of my favorite destinations because it feels so good when you leave!!

                            #2 Durango/Cortez

                            Fun, neat small town. I love Mesa Verde, I love the areas north of Durango (Ouray is one of my favorite towns). If in Ouray, you MUST stop by the hot springs pool.

                            #1 Tie - Summit County/Roaring Fork Valley

                            I love the views, the mountains, everything about these two places. I will admit the people in the Roaring Fork Valley (Aspen to Glenwood Springs) can be "eccentric" (read: annoying and rich), you can't beat the scenery, the trails, and of course the ski mountains (Arapahoe Basin and Snowmass are my 2 favorites). Also both have some of the greatest roads for motorcyle riding in the summer, beautiful mountain wildflowers in the spring, and the mountains shimmer with gold in the fall.

                            Basically, there's ony about 2 weeks after the leaves fall off before the snow flies that I would call "not absolutely breathtaking".


                            I've never really travelled abroad, but I want to go to Ireland & Scotland to tour all the distilleries. That's at the top of my list of "places I haven't been to yet but want to visit".

                            And Chazoe60 is lying about Western Colorado. Nothing to see here, it's not like if you visit you'll instantly want to move here or anything.
                            You have me visualizing those places you speak of (other than Cleveland).........nothing like the mountains, the deserts that preside nearby and everything in between...

                            My youngest daughter went to Ireland this past fall and she loved it. Lots of Guinness, great scenery and a comfortable culture that surrounds everything and everyone.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                              You have me visualizing those places you speak of (other than Cleveland).........nothing like the mountains, the deserts that preside nearby and everything in between...

                              My youngest daughter went to Ireland this past fall and she loved it. Lots of Guinness, great scenery and a comfortable culture that surrounds everything and everyone.
                              I have to go there. I wonder if the Guinness there tastes better than the Guinness in my fridge?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X