I need a network guru plz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a network guru plz

My roomie is stealing all of our bandwidth when I want to do anything by using Azeurus and Limewire, he leaves them on all the time (And it is my fault since I showed him how to use them), I need some help, I have read a ton of articles on how to block ports but I need to know how to do so, I have my 2wire modem page pulled up but can someone suggest something or give me some step by step stuff to make it work? I can basically just surf, I cant game online or stream Netflix which I pay money for every month, can someone instruct me on what ports to turn on or off to make this work, I would like to be able to use those programs when I want, just not him, is it possible

What's Azerus?
    *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
    *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
    *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

why don't you tell your idiot roommate to log out of Azeurus and Limewire when he isn't d/l-ing anything.
      P.S. if he has a torrent program why the **** is he using limewire?
      Originally posted by armybroncofan
      ...Remember one thing, the paper tiger is always right ...
      Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken. -Tyler Durden [Fight Club]

Comment

Haha, not the replies I was looking for but thank you nonetheless, to answe the first ?, Azerus is is a bit torrent program previously called Vuze, and he jacks all my bandwidth, I will re post this on a tech forum elsewhere and see what I get, anyone know anything, please add to this

Comment

Originally posted by BarkdogRX7 View Post
          My roomie is stealing all of our bandwidth when I want to do anything by using Azeurus and Limewire, he leaves them on all the time (And it is my fault since I showed him how to use them), I need some help, I have read a ton of articles on how to block ports but I need to know how to do so, I have my 2wire modem page pulled up but can someone suggest something or give me some step by step stuff to make it work? I can basically just surf, I cant game online or stream Netflix which I pay money for every month, can someone instruct me on what ports to turn on or off to make this work, I would like to be able to use those programs when I want, just not him, is it possible
          Are you sharing a single internet connection through a router?

Here's a solution specific for Linksys (copied the details from another site), although I believe most routers will be similar in nature:
          To block Limewire:

Select "Access Restrictions"
          Set the Status to "Enable" (radio button)
          Enter a Policy Name (e.g. Limewire)
          Select "Edit List of PCs". You can choose which PCs (by IP, range of IP or MAC address) you want to control
          Select "Allow" Internet access during selected days and hours.
          Set the "Days" & "Times"

Select "Add/Edit Service"
          You are now going to create a new service
          Under "Service Name", enter "Limewire"
          For Protocol, choose "TCP & UDP"
          Enter "6346" and "6348" to designate the "Port Range"
          Select "Add" to add the new service.
          Once added to the list at right, press "Apply", then "Close"

In the "Blocked Services" area, select "Limewire"

Under "Website blocking by URL address", enter the Limewire URL

Save settings

Done!
          You can do the same thing for Azerus but with its particular port ranges. Doing a quick search it looks like it defaults to 6881 but you can switch it to 49152–65534, so it's your call if you just want to block the default or set up another policy to cover the user specified range.

Hope that helps!
          Last edited by Javalon; 01-24-2009, 09:41 PM.
          "You can't take the sky from me..."
          ------
          "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

yeah it will, we share a net connection wirelessly thru a 2wire Qwest modem. I have both programs so I will see what they default to, can I do it where I can use these and can block his somehow? I need to retrieve my password for the system settings, I can't remember it and need to call 2wire tech support Monday. Anyways, Jav, thanx for the info, if u can be anymore specific, Im all ears

Comment

Man... just tell him to shut it off when he's not around... tell him what he's doing... or just shut it down yourself then restart his programs when you're done....

Comment

Working...
              X