When It Comes To Rejection ….Do It The Old fashioned Way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When It Comes To Rejection ….Do It The Old fashioned Way

(Sorry.....every once in a while I post a more serious one)

I recently heard about the person who was let go by her company via a Facebook notification. I would never apply for a job in that company, UNLESS they have had a real shakeup in how they handle personnel matters.

When having to deal with the job of “rejecting” someone, whether it is a business or personal relationship, there is only one way to handle it….the old fashioned way. And what is that? Unless you are many miles apart, it’s done face to face and with some effort and some respect. And if many miles apart, it should be done by phone.

Nowadays people say the younger generation is different. They are into Facebook and Text and so on, and therefore they are to be treated differently. To that I respond: in matters of rejection, if you are not big enough to do it face to face, you have failed that person…..no matter what generation they, or you, come from. It is hard to reject others, and that’s probably why these people are trying to justify the method. To me, that’s gutless, disrespectful and immature.

Think of the other person’s feelings. Rejection in a personal relationship can be devastating. And if handled improperly may cause additional unnecessary pain. When I look back (way back) to those times I was dating (way back!!!!), it turns out a lot of the breakups lead to friendships. That wouldn’t have happened if the improper method of breaking the news was used….to be sure, I was on the rejection end more often than not!!!

And in business, the impact is often even be more painful, because now you have questions of income and lifestyle, integrity, confidence and having to start all over again, and in a tough market that could be a very difficult situation. For the record, some of the same things apply to personal rejection (i.e confidence, starting over). Think of how players are cut in the big leagues. It’s a tough job and good coaches hate it….but they do it the right way. And often the rejection will end up being a positive, if the person can move on with some dignity and a plan. This is why there has to be a mature person on the other side.

So if ever faced with the task, do it the old fashioned way. Face to face discussion, including a lot of listening, and some sincere compassion. If you do not handle this well, like the Facebook example, you probably are in the wrong job, or should not be in serious relationships to begin with. Relationships come with responsibilities.

Check your myspace- Re: upcoming ban...
    Thanks, Reid!
    sigpic
    Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

So are you saying I shouldn't propose to my girl with a text message?
      *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
      *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
      *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
        Actually I think hes saying that you shouldn't tell her you want a divorce with a text message.

Comment

Originally posted by chazoe60 View Post
          Actually I think hes saying that you shouldn't tell her you want a divorce with a text message.

Hmmm... thats kinda how I did my last one though.

Comment

Hmmm... thats kinda how I did my last one though.
            You live and learn.

Comment

i agree w/ the OP 100%.
              I'm only 21, but I am personally tired of networking sites, as a new form of communication. I choose not to have a FB or myspace...I feel people post so much personal info and random talk as well as way too much inane crap on their myspaces and FBs that it leaves people nothing to talk about in person...i have witnessed that happen to others on many occasions, it's quite sad.
              I prefer talking in person, or on the phone...sometimes I email but only to give brief messages of what is going on in my life...but I always prefer face to face or phone conversations.
              I even have family that live an ocean away from me...but really it's not that difficult to pick up the phone. oh and don't get me started on text messaging.
              Originally posted by armybroncofan
              ...Remember one thing, the paper tiger is always right ...
              Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken. -Tyler Durden [Fight Club]

Comment

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
                Check your myspace- Re: upcoming ban...
                Oh no!!!!!

Comment

You could.......as long as your nickname isn't roro.....

Comment

Originally posted by chazoe60 View Post
                    chaz...you nailed lesson one from the old wannabe teacher!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                      You could.......as long as your nickname isn't roro.....
                      HEY! Party foul!!! I'm not certain I like the association with roro!!!

Comment

I dumped your sister on Myspace. She Changed her mood to "Hating him" and angry, then deleted the pics we took in Cancun. She has the back ups on a disk, so I am sure I can get copies when this all blows over.
                        sigpic

Comment

CanB,

I reject this thread.
                          My 2011 adopted poster.........and and

Adopted by: and

Comment

Originally posted by Legendary30 View Post
                            I dumped your sister on Myspace. She Changed her mood to "Hating him" and angry, then deleted the pics we took in Cancun. She has the back ups on a disk, so I am sure I can get copies when this all blows over.
                            Dood... if you are talking about my sister, then you are a big man for taking the behemoth on.

Comment

Dood... if you are talking about my sister, then you are a big man for taking the behemoth on.
                              Why do you think I didn't dump her face to face???

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X