Injured good Samaritan ticketed for jaywalking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injured good Samaritan ticketed for jaywalking

DENVER – A good Samaritan who helped push three people out of the path of a pickup truck before being struck and injured has gotten a strange reward for his good deed: A jaywalking ticket.

Family members said 58-year-old bus driver Jim Moffett and another man were helping two elderly women cross a busy Denver street in a snowstorm when he was hit Friday night.

Moffett suffered bleeding in the brain, broken bones, a dislocated shoulder and a possible ruptured spleen. He was in serious but stable condition Wednesday.

The Colorado State Patrol issued the citation. Trooper Ryan Sullivan said that despite Moffett's intentions, jaywalking contributed to the accident.

Moffett had been driving his bus when the two women got off. In the interest of safety, he got out and, together with another passenger, helped the ladies cross.

Moffett's stepson, Ken McDonald, said the driver of the pickup plowed into his stepfather, but not before Moffett pushed the two women out of the way.

When he awoke in intensive care, he learned of the ticket. "His reaction was dazed and confused. I was a little angry," said McDonald.

The other man also was cited for jaywalking, while the pickup driver was cited with careless driving that led to injury. Sullivan said the two elderly women haven't been cited but the investigation is ongoing.

Watched this on the news yesterday. IMO The officer should of let it go since the guy went through enough trouble.

i see nothing wrong with it....

the cops obviously had to hit their ticket quota and with the help of this good Samaritan they probably did
    sigpic

sig by B4B6..

Comment

Originally posted by saltybuggah View Post
      i see nothing wrong with it....

the cops obviously had to hit their ticket quota and with the help of this good Samaritan they probably did
      Most likely... the officer probably felt great about himself. :salute!:

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos6FTW View Post
        Most likely... the officer probably felt great about himself. :salute!:
        personnally im shocked the officer didnt give the guy a ticket for injuring the old lady by pushing em... that phsyical abuse adn should of got him a hefty fine, then again teh women would have to press charges...
        sigpic

sig by B4B6..

Comment

personnally im shocked the officer didnt give the guy a ticket for injuring the old lady by pushing em... that phsyical abuse adn should of got him a hefty fine, then again teh women would have to press charges...
          I see your point, but even if she did press charge they would've probably been dropped. He saved her life, she could of easily died in that situation.

Like performing CPR, if you do it correctly you may break the person's ribs in the process. That person will press charges, but they will most likely get dropped since you saved their life.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos6FTW View Post
            I see your point, but even if she did press charge they would've probably been dropped. He saved her life, she could of easily died in that situation.

Like performing CPR, if you do it correctly you may break the person's ribs in the process. That person will press charges, but they will most likely get dropped since you saved their life.
            yeah but that cop could of possibly gotten a promotion if he would of hit that bus driver up with multiple tickets... he already proved that he doesnt have a heart by giving out the 1st set of tickets... he seems like teh kind of cop that would ticket his own mother

yeah those CPR things are tricky.. if someone is choking and your certified and you didnt help them out (for whatever the reason) you could be at fault and have charges pressed against you..
            sigpic

sig by B4B6..

Comment

yeah but that cop could of possibly gotten a promotion if he would of hit that bus driver up with multiple tickets... he already proved that he doesnt have a heart by giving out the 1st set of tickets... he seems like teh kind of cop that would ticket his own mother

yeah those CPR things are tricky.. if someone is choking and your certified and you didnt help them out (for whatever the reason) you could be at fault and have charges pressed against you..
              at the Cop part.

I understand what your saying about the CPR thing, but every situation is different.

Comment

Sucks about the dude.

I think in Colorado, and a lot of other states, you actually can't be sued for helping someone while performing CPR. The only times I think you CAN get in trouble for something (like breaking ribs, which is very common in CPR, or killing the person) is if they are conscious, are a minor and the parent/guardian is present and in a healthy state of mind and requests no CPR (which all blame then falls onto the guardian), or if you were too "enthusiastic" and just screwed it up (like punching a chest instead of compressions).

Comment

Originally posted by CinnaMunMun View Post
                  Sucks about the dude.

I think in Colorado, and a lot of other states, you actually can't be sued for helping someone while performing CPR. The only times I think you CAN get in trouble for something (like breaking ribs, which is very common in CPR, or killing the person) is if they are conscious, are a minor and the parent/guardian is present and in a healthy state of mind and requests no CPR (which all blame then falls onto the guardian), or if you were too "enthusiastic" and just screwed it up (like punching a chest instead of compressions).
                  Oh thank heaven for the Good Samaritan law.

http://www.fox16.com/news/local/stor...yvkhUPQog.cspx

Comment

Originally posted by housemouse View Post
                    Oh thank heaven for the Good Samaritan law.

http://www.fox16.com/news/local/stor...yvkhUPQog.cspx
                    unfortunately this kid probably wont win..

someone will have to step in and pay for his compensation (Opera or some talk show)..

the way some places are the employees are to let these people do there thing and have the authorities take care of them... jumping in and being a good samaritan can sometimes (in this case) cause more harm than good... employers frown upon employees taking this role and most tell employees time and time again not to partake in these actions...

while i worked retail, the store had a policy not to pursue shoplifters outside of the store.. there reasoning was they could have a knife, buddies, gun, or whatever and if you pursued them outside you were reliable for yourself if injured... if you ran into a shoplifter you had to leave them take the merchanidise past the point of no return... which was a small space between the last cash register and the main door... if they got past you and made it to the door you had to let the authoritites catch up with them...

we once had someone trying to steal a unloaded gun... one of the workers ended up cross checking this guy into a rack before the counter.. it was the greatest hit ive ever seen someone make in a store...
                    sigpic

sig by B4B6..

Comment

oh.... so according to you guys, as long as I'm trying to help someone, it's okay to break the law....

All the ticket was saying was that his actions directly contributed to the accident by not crossing in the designated crosswalk.

It may suck, but the law is there for a reason. If you break it, you need to take responsibility for your actions, rather than blaming a cop for doing his job and enforcing written state law...

Comment

Working...
                      X