Help! I've got a complaining neighbor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! I've got a complaining neighbor

So to everyone who has ever lived in an apartment, please give me some advice.

About a week ago, a new neighbor moved in directly below us. In the week he has lived here, he has called the front office and reported us for disruptive behavior (we weren't even home). Then this morning he came up and knocked on our door, screaming and yelling at my roommate about how he's paid $1300 and her kids are jumping up and down and screaming. (again, they were on the couch and one of them got up and ran to the bathroom).

What do I do? He's obviously trying to get us kicked out. We have lived here for a year and have never had a problem. Our neighbors who lives next door constantly come to blows weekly to where it sounds like a domestic violence fiasco. During the summer, people stay at the pool til 4AM (we're right next to the pool)....this guy is in for a rude awakening, but in the meantime, what do my roommate and I do? This guy is a JERK!

Brush up on your forensics...watch some CSI episodes for a few ideas....
    sigpic

And THAT'S, the Cosmic Perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by Gr3yStreet View Post
      Brush up on your forensics...watch some CSI episodes for a few ideas....
      the thought has crossed my mind

Comment

It could be that he's hearing your neighbor and thinks it's you.

I would go to the manager and explain the situation to him/her. You've never had complaints until the new guy moved in. Then, maybe have a meeting with the neighbor with the manager present. Become friends with the enemy.
        Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage

Lupus Awareness

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Originally posted by ckstorm182000 View Post

About a week ago, a new neighbor moved in directly below us. In the week he has lived here, he has called the front office and reported us for disruptive behavior (we weren't even home). Then this morning he came up and knocked on our door, screaming and yelling at my roommate about how he's paid $1300 and her kids are jumping up and down and screaming. (again, they were on the couch and one of them got up and ran to the bathroom).

What do I do? He's obviously trying to get us kicked out. We have lived here for a year and have never had a problem. Our neighbors who lives next door constantly come to blows weekly to where it sounds like a domestic violence fiasco. During the summer, people stay at the pool til 4AM (we're right next to the pool)....this guy is in for a rude awakening, but in the meantime, what do my roommate and I do? This guy is a JERK!
          I'll give you the 101 response, and if that doesn't work, you may have to try something different. It's like customer service, you have to listen (or appear to be) because if you do anything more to tick off this "dynamite" at all, it will get even worse. So if you want to stay there, why don't you consider meeting with the dude, and come across like you are a friendly, good-natured soul (which I'm sure you are) who just wants to work for the best outcome possible. Maybe even mention how you have been a bit disgruntled with some of the goings on, and that you can appreciate his feelings. Maybe even show him how little it takes to make a noise (like what he was complaining about). If you can make him an ally, you might be able to win him over, while having a partner to take with you when all the real noise is happening.

Good luck!! I've had my share of bad neighbours (mostly in homes - but the issues often come down to the same resolution), and it's better to win them over, or at least minimize the pain, rather than make things any worse.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoFaninMD View Post
            It could be that he's hearing your neighbor and thinks it's you.

I would go to the manager and explain the situation to him/her. You've never had complaints until the new guy moved in. Then, maybe have a meeting with the neighbor with the manager present. Become friends with the enemy.
            I agree!!! Sometimes it's better to get close to the "enemy"......

Comment

You should tell him his Apartment has asbestos so it is ok to break his or her lease so they can move out today .

:wave:
              "January 25, 1998: The night God answered our prayers

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                I'll give you the 101 response, and if that doesn't work, you may have to try something different. It's like customer service, you have to listen (or appear to be) because if you do anything more to tick off this "dynamite" at all, it will get even worse. So if you want to stay there, why don't you consider meeting with the dude, and come across like you are a friendly, good-natured soul (which I'm sure you are) who just wants to work for the best outcome possible. Maybe even mention how you have been a bit disgruntled with some of the goings on, and that you can appreciate his feelings. Maybe even show him how little it takes to make a noise (like what he was complaining about). If you can make him an ally, you might be able to win him over, while having a partner to take with you when all the real noise is happening.

Good luck!! I've had my share of bad neighbours (mostly in homes - but the issues often come down to the same resolution), and it's better to win them over, or at least minimize the pain, rather than make things any worse.
                My initial reaction was to go back downstairs and knock on his door and try to reason. However, after my roommate described him, I'm a little scared to do so. I guess he looks like Warren Sapp in his 50's and we're two tiny white girls

Comment

If the guy ever approaches you, shut your door, lock it, call the police and tell them he assaulted you.

That'll teach him.
                  sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
                    If the guy ever approaches you, shut your door, lock it, call the police and tell them he assaulted you.

That'll teach him.
                    yeah then he'd come and kill me lol. Our friends who live on the opposite side of our building had a guy climb up to their patio with a knife and threatened to kill them.

Comment

yeah then he'd come and kill me lol. Our friends who live on the opposite side of our building had a guy climb up to their patio with a knife and threatened to kill them.
                      It sounds like your complex is a pretty poor place to live. You might want to see if you can move out at the end of your lease.

As for this neighbor, I would talk to management, and explain that these complaints appear to be an ovverreaction. Alos, perhaps purchasing a decible reader, and showing the tenant below that your noise levels are not unacceptable.
                      sigpic

I think Ben Tate will be the best back taken in the 2010 draft. (5/3/10)
                      SportsXPicks, check out the Rants and Opinions section

Comment

Payback

I assume that his door opens inwards?

Take a large plastic trashcan and fill it with water. Then wait until you know he is on his way to work. 10 minutes prior to his departure, place the trashcan so that it leans towards the door...and you can imagine the rest!

We used to do that in college.

Comment

My initial reaction was to go back downstairs and knock on his door and try to reason. However, after my roommate described him, I'm a little scared to do so. I guess he looks like Warren Sapp in his 50's and we're two tiny white girls
                          I mentioned going to management first. Keeps it safe.

It shouldn't matter what he looks like or what you look like. Makes you sound like something you probably aren't.
                          Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage

Lupus Awareness

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

There are many variables involved in any of these cases, and I gave you the more "stock" answer, because it should work more often than not. Of course, I may answer a whole lot differently if you lived in a gang infested area, or in Broncos Country , where you may have to apply different logic.....

Now.....lets be clear, these are suggestions coming from us. DO NOT DO ANYTHING UNLESS you have reason to believe the advice is solid and you are comfortable in following through. We are not strongly recommending, just suggesting. If you are scared at all, then this may require a whole other approach. You may need to see how others are getting along with this person first. If you know others there, maybe do some research. Ultimately you may have to consider either going to the manager (without stirring up the pot too much...maybe just to move to another suite), as has been mentioned, or move from the building totally. It's one thing to use common sense, but another to try to apply it to those who don't get it. Think about reasoning with wild animals in the jungle. The "lets just sit down and have a nice chat" approach bares little resemblance to intelligence in some cases.

Again, good luck! If you take any action, please update us, and maybe we can keep directing you to the right path. It comes down to the old forked road scenario......if you can minimize the possible outcomes, then each decision usually gets easier. It's not easy when there are multiple things to consider, and with little knowledge of each. Therefore, try to get some meaningful info about the neighbour, how management handles things, and what others in the building have done in past......if you can.

BTW.....if you ultimately feel comfortable going the route initially described, think of Warren Sapp on Dancing with the Stars......

Comment

lol at the dancing with the stars comment.

my roommate and I have decided to talk to management although who knows how well that will go over. When we first moved in, we went to them telling them our air conditioner only came out in one room and they told us to take a flying leap and we should have noticed the first 48 hours. yeah right

our lease is up in April, so we're going to go look at another apartment complex today. Hopefully all will work out.

This place isn't completely horrible (we live at Stone Cliff Heights in Aurora) but its amazing how one person can make you completely miserable.
                              Thanks for all the advice friends

Comment

Working...
                              X