I'm Declaring Today an American Holiday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Declaring Today an American Holiday

This one's for all my American buds. Today (and maybe tomorrow because I don't work then) is an American holiday, from the eyes of a Canadian neighbour and friend. It's my way of saying thank you for all the good things, even if there have been a few times when we weren't on the same page on some matters......btw this is not political from my perspective (in other words, please leave it alone Mods!!!)

I remember making those fun trips to the northern US when I was a kid. Only just over an hour from the border, we used to go to those small but interesting rides to Grand Forks (closest spot on the drive), Fargo (of movie fame), Bemidji (Paul Bunyan turf) and other North Dakota / Minnesota sites.....for some good bargains and just to see how American folks lived. I like what I saw, except to this day I still have trouble handling your money, but I guess our cash has some weirdness to it with all the bright colours and interesting design. As years passed, we stepped it up to Minneapolis, and the larger cities. And fortunately, to this day I've visited many of the spectacular large cities in the US as well as witnessed some of the most beautiful scenery on this planet on my journies there.

And I've come to realize that, even though we have had some differences as countries, for the most part we are very similar people. We definitely have some distinguishable traits and accents as you venture deeper in, and if you ever talk to someone from Newfoundland, you will appreciate that Canadians have some very unique ways of speaking...btw, people from that Province are among the "coolest" folks anywhere!!!

In fact, if we put 10 midwest Canadians and 10 midwest Americans in the same room and talked to them about non political subjects, I bet it would be hard to identify who was from where.

And I want to confess, that for periods of time I had some thoughts that Americans may be a bit more brash than Canadians, using a minor sampling of the trips I've been on, and some of the things that are manufactured in the news, and other media distribution. BUT I've changed my thinking a great deal over the years. I've encountered minimal "concern" with folks from the US (other than being a bit too close to some "fun loving" college types on a couple of junctures!!!), and in fact, I might have a tough time even defending all of my Canadian mates when it comes to proper behaviour and such when travelling. When I sit down and assess matters, the one and one talks I've had with Americans were certainly as good as with folks from any other country.

Maybe it's because of being the "big fish", or having to take a leadership role which by its very nature leads to criticism from at least some sources. But it matters not with me anymore, because in the end, we all have our issues, and we normally try to deal with them the best way possible.

So in closing, I love so many things about the US, and I have been fondly indoctrinated since my youth......in fact I would be a hypocrite to say otherwise, given I've been glued to your great country all my life via tv, trips, and other linkages. NFL football is my favourite sport to follow (okay, hockey is in my blood...), and I am a Broncos fan for life. I am true and proud Canadian, but I am also proud of my next door neighbour.... the "big fish", and world leader.

Happy Holiday to my American buds!!!!!:usa:

"Blame Canada. Blame Canada." Have you seen that movie Can?

Anyway, thanks for the Holiday. I have a union gig, so at the next union meeting I'm going to see if we can add this to the paid holiday list.

I love Canada. How could you not love a country that has given us Hockey fights, Michael J Fox, Canadian Bacon(it's just ham you know), Patrick Roy(somehow pronounced WHAA), Joe Sakic, Pamela Anderson, BareNakedLadies(the band not actual naked ladies, we had those way before Canada), and Tommy Chong(smoke em' if you got em').

Last but not least I will mention this; I took a class in college that was called Outdoor Survival, it was awesome, and one two day section of the class was about Urban Survival while traveling oversees. Well, the number one rule that the prof. told us was to put a Canadian flag patch on your backpack so people would like you more and be less likely to kill you in a fit of rage.

Comment

Originally posted by chazoe60 View Post
      "Blame Canada. Blame Canada." Have you seen that movie Can?

Anyway, thanks for the Holiday. I have a union gig, so at the next union meeting I'm going to see if we can add this to the paid holiday list.

I love Canada. How could you not love a country that has given us Hockey fights, Michael J Fox, Canadian Bacon(it's just ham you know), Patrick Roy(somehow pronounced WHAA), Joe Sakic, Pamela Anderson, BareNakedLadies(the band not actual naked ladies, we had those way before Canada), and Tommy Chong(smoke em' if you got em').

Last but not least I will mention this; I took a class in college that was called Outdoor Survival, it was awesome, and one two day section of the class was about Urban Survival while traveling oversees. Well, the number one rule that the prof. told us was to put a Canadian flag patch on your backpack so people would like you more and be less likely to kill you in a fit of rage.
      With folks like you around, is it any wonder why I made this thread!!!!!!

Comment

i must respectfully decline the offer canDB..

and here is why...

i feel we have way too many holidays and i dont want to have to spend any more money on some bogus holiday

i know what your trying to do.. your trying to unite the two together just so you can pawn off some more canadian mechandise to us americans.. :nono: not gonna happen..

you probably have stock in Halmark greeting cards and just want, yet another holiday so the masses need to flood the stores and send out happy holidays cards..

im not falling for it canDB..

i will stick to my salty ways...

i do believe everyday is a personal holiday thou, its all in teh way you celebrate... i dont need some corporation, such as the canDB corporation, trying to tell me when to spend money or time with a loved one.. :nono: ill do that on my own and make some special times thruout the year to share with loved ones (family and friends)... but also know that i would accept any canadian compadre such as yourself to celebrate with anytime... ive never ventured up to the canadian side but ive been close.. buffalo was the closest ive been and im not too far away living in PA..

im not a hockey fan and ill never be one.. but i have enjoyed music from the northern lands... canadian bacon is just ham but its damn good... i cant turn down good food thou and syrups..
        sigpic

sig by B4B6..

Comment

Did someone pee in your Wheaties this morning salty?

I'm all for another Holiday as long as I get the day off with pay. :thumb:

What I find interesting about CanDB's declaration, is the timing of it. Just curious.

I've never had anything against Canada except when I'm trying to ship explosives up there. I won't get into all the specifics, but Canada is the most difficult country to deal with.

We have good friends that are French Canadians. Or is it Canadien? I love listening to his mom talk. I don't get to see his parents much as they live in Springfield, Mass.

So, thanks for the post CanDB. You had nice things to say.
          :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by saltybuggah View Post
            and here is why...

i feel we have way too many holidays and i dont want to have to spend any more money on some bogus holiday

i know what your trying to do.. your trying to unite the two together just so you can pawn off some more canadian mechandise to us americans.. :nono: not gonna happen..

you probably have stock in Halmark greeting cards and just want, yet another holiday so the masses need to flood the stores and send out happy holidays cards..

im not falling for it canDB..

i will stick to my salty ways...

i do believe everyday is a personal holiday thou, its all in teh way you celebrate... i dont need some corporation, such as the canDB corporation, trying to tell me when to spend money or time with a loved one.. :nono: ill do that on my own and make some special times thruout the year to share with loved ones (family and friends)... but also know that i would accept any canadian compadre such as yourself to celebrate with anytime... ive never ventured up to the canadian side but ive been close.. buffalo was the closest ive been and im not too far away living in PA..

im not a hockey fan and ill never be one.. but i have enjoyed music from the northern lands... canadian bacon is just ham but its damn good... i cant turn down good food thou and syrups..
            SB.....you`re hurting the CanDB stock big time......not to mention I just printed up 1000`s of cards for the occasion.

I still expect you to cross that border, and smell the bacon. Although I don`t get your feelings towards hockey.....we keep dentists employed in countries all over the world, and fighting on skates is one alternative to street fights and that widely loved criminal sport - Ultimate Fighting!!!! Give Us a chance......if you cross the border you will see many, many smiling toothless faces, male and female, welcoming you. I will be easiest to spot, as I have a severe abnormality.......I think too positive!!!!

Come to Canada......enjoy the national sports.....shovelling, drinking Tim Horton`s coffee, falling backwards on the ice and seeing if you can avoid a concussion, catching hard, rubber objects in the mouth, playing with rocks, predicting how long it will take for your skin to freeze, loving the place so much that you fly somewhere (anywhere!!) every year to get away from it, try to set records for the number of golfers you can cram on a course once summer begins (lasting about two weeks in July), and lastly, watching all of the American reality shows thinking that`s `reality`.

Come on salty.....you buggah......buy Canadian!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoManiac_69 View Post

I'm all for another Holiday as long as I get the day off with pay. :thumb:

What I find interesting about CanDB's declaration, is the timing of it. Just curious.

I've never had anything against Canada except when I'm trying to ship explosives up there. I won't get into all the specifics, but Canada is the most difficult country to deal with.

We have good friends that are French Canadians. Or is it Canadien? I love listening to his mom talk. I don't get to see his parents much as they live in Springfield, Mass.

So, thanks for the post CanDB. You had nice things to say.
              Thanks Maniac....

Explosives.....hmmmmm......I am not trying to be too smart (not my best suit), but if I had to choose between explosives and lip gloss, I might just be a bit tougher one than the other.

Comment

Whatever gets me out of school....

Comment

That would be me my bad salty I had a little to much to drink and was walking around the LR and thought it was the toilet.
                  sigpic
                  Thanks Blondie for the Sig

Comment

i did..

thats the salty way of eatin cornflakes

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                    SB.....you`re hurting the CanDB stock big time......not to mention I just printed up 1000`s of cards for the occasion.

I still expect you to cross that border, and smell the bacon. Although I don`t get your feelings towards hockey.....we keep dentists employed in countries all over the world, and fighting on skates is one alternative to street fights and that widely loved criminal sport - Ultimate Fighting!!!! Give Us a chance......if you cross the border you will see many, many smiling toothless faces, male and female, welcoming you. I will be easiest to spot, as I have a severe abnormality.......I think too positive!!!!

Come to Canada......enjoy the national sports.....shovelling, drinking Tim Horton`s coffee, falling backwards on the ice and seeing if you can avoid a concussion, catching hard, rubber objects in the mouth, playing with rocks, predicting how long it will take for your skin to freeze, loving the place so much that you fly somewhere (anywhere!!) every year to get away from it, try to set records for the number of golfers you can cram on a course once summer begins (lasting about two weeks in July), and lastly, watching all of the American reality shows thinking that`s `reality`.

Come on salty.....you buggah......buy Canadian!!!!
                    i knew it..

your a true American at heart.. just trying to make a buck and lying thru your teeth to get it (insert hockey pun here)..

i wouldnt enjoy da local beer.. but i would bring some Guinness with me

i dont knwo what your talking about here but i want no part in it..

"catching hard, rubber objects in the mouth," :nono:

the sick and twisted things you canadian peeps do.. but to each there own
                    sigpic

sig by B4B6..

Comment

Originally posted by *Atwater* View Post
                      That would be me my bad salty I had a little to much to drink and was walking around the LR and thought it was the toilet.
                      i knew i didnt eat any asparagus recently..

that would explain it :devil:
                      sigpic

sig by B4B6..

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                        Thanks Maniac....

Explosives.....hmmmmm......I am not trying to be too smart (not my best suit), but if I had to choose between explosives and lip gloss, I might just be a bit tougher one than the other.
                        lip gloss?

I ship hobby rocket motors.

So do we get a BBQ on this Holiday? I went out and put up the flag! :usa:
                        :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

lip gloss?

I ship hobby rocket motors.

So do we get a BBQ on this Holiday? I went out and put up the flag!
                          Just meant that security makes you package lip gloss before flying......thought that explosives sounded a little scarier than lip gloss

BBQ away!!!

Flags a-flyin:usa:

And if someone questions you......say everyday is a day worth celebrating, or at least it is one that allows you to see a better one coming!!!!

Comment

holy colin powell, eh

Comment

Canadian Appreciation of America Day!

Lol.
                              Thanks Mr. CanDB. Hopefully the government will recognize this as an official holiday and it gets me out of having to go to school.

Also I think that on this day the US should broadcast the Naked News.
                              LET 'ER BUCK!!!
                              Adopted by: Peanut, Chazoe60, CanDB, RealBronco and JakeNbake

Comment

Working...
                              X