The "lowest" thing about Colorado!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "lowest" thing about Colorado!!!!

No it's nothing to do with the ball club, or the people in the state.....it's the dang weather system......the infamous "Colorado Low" that we dread so much where I live in central Canada. You walk by the weather station and they mention Colorado Low and we start reaching for our shovels while filling up our snowblowers, because the dreaded CL can bring on a whole pile of major havoc...usually a huge volume of unwanted snow and possibly blizzard conditions.

In fact there is an active one as I speak, and although it will likely pass south of my unsuspecting city, it will add another batch of precip south of the border, meaning the Red River (which flows north into Canada) will swell into a possible flood scenario this spring. We have an amazing dike, called the Floodway, that reroutes water around the city, and has saved us billions over the years. But unfortunately even with this protection, there has been some flooding, and definitely at a serious scale for our neighbours in the northern US.

So can you good folks in Colorado do something to turn that low into a Rocky Mountain "high".......hail to John Denver!!!!

I remember when the Red flooded back in the late 90's. It rained for a couple of weeks straight in mid-October, then froze and started snowing. In the spring, when the snow started to melt, the ground was already at maximum saturation so the water had no where to go but to run off, thus resulting in a huge flood all through Fargo, Moorehead, and Grand Forks and north into Canada. Things weren't as bad for us in Minot, but there was still alot of flooding around there too.

Comment

Originally posted by jetrazor74 View Post
      I remember when the Red flooded back in the late 90's. It rained for a couple of weeks straight in mid-October, then froze and started snowing. In the spring, when the snow started to melt, the ground was already at maximum saturation so the water had no where to go but to run off, thus resulting in a huge flood all through Fargo, Moorehead, and Grand Forks and north into Canada. Things weren't as bad for us in Minot, but there was still alot of flooding around there too.
      We lived it together jet......luckily our "Floodway" saved most of the city of Winnipeg, but it was getting scary.......

Do you remember the eery sight of Grand Forks, with water everywhere and a building on fire....it was a unique and traggic picture.
      Last edited by CanDB; 03-10-2009, 08:54 PM.

Comment

I never knew about this. Ill make sure to speak to Mother Nature right away
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
          We lived together jet......luckily our "Floodway" saved most of the city of Winnipeg, but it was getting scary.......

Do you remember the eery sight of Grand Forks, with water everywhere and a building on fire....it was a unique and traggic picture.
          I do think I remember that.... My base sent units over there to help out, even...

Comment

Working...
          X