A new dog from the shelter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new dog from the shelter

Today me and my girlfriend adopted a dog from the local shelter. He's a German Shepherd/ Bloodhound mix. He got more features of a German Shephard but his ears and bark are that of a bloodhound.

But Im having a problem with him eating. He won't eat to much. I've even tried hand feeding his dog food to him. But most of the time he just looks at me like I'm weird or something. What should I do?

Also I think he has a barking problem. I wanted to see if how he would react to us leaving. He stared out the window and started barking. How can a train him not bark or worry when we leave? Are there any steps I can take to get him accustom to us leaving?

Originally posted by D.J.55 View Post
    Today me and my girlfriend adopted a dog from the local shelter. He's a German Shepherd/ Bloodhound mix. He got more features of a German Shephard but his ears and bark are that of a bloodhound.

But Im having a problem with him eating. He won't eat to much. I've even tried hand feeding his dog food to him. But most of the time he just looks at me like I'm weird or something. What should I do?

Also I think he has a barking problem. I wanted to see if how he would react to us leaving. He stared out the window and started barking. How can a train him not bark or worry when we leave? Are there any steps I can take to get him accustom to us leaving?
    To get the dog to eat set your feeding time to the same time every day. Leave it there for like an hour and then take the bowl away so that he can't eat it now. He'll adjust to this schedule hopefully.

You could try giving him dog toys like Kongs and stuff where you put peanut butter or anything inside the toy making the dog have to lick it out which will take it awhile.

Comment

Changing foods too quickly can give them tummy aches.
      Should go with some of what they were eating mixed with the new food.
      Perhaps some music/a radio or T.V. left on will help being alone.
      It is stressful for them to change homes, try to be patient and good luck.

And he might have been taught not to beg for treats thus looks at you strange.?
      Make sure the food is in his dish.
      Last edited by 2 Minute Warning; 03-14-2009, 06:19 PM.

Comment

The eating problem is more than likely just because he is in a new place with new people. Plain and simple he is a little scared and nervous. The main thing is to let him get comfortable, don't smother him too much at first.

The barking is an issue I don't really know too much about, most of my dogs have either not been barkers or we lived far enough out in the country that it didn't matter. I do have a friend who has used a shock collar, and says they work very well. It sounds harsh, and I don't really know what to think of them myself, but my buddy says it scares them more than actually hurts them. He says to think of it like tough love, take that for what it's worth.

Comment

He might not be eating in part because he is just a little uncomfy in the new place. Ive always free fed my dog, and he eats when he feels like it (normally when the rest of us do). But, I know a lot of people that use the schedule method, and it works quite well.

I always leave the TV on when I leave for class for my dog, and when he was younger, gave him frozen cubes of chicken broth to lick on.

I would also highly suggest kennel training. Bets advice I had ever gotten for my dog.
          sigpic

I think Ben Tate will be the best back taken in the 2010 draft. (5/3/10)
          SportsXPicks, check out the Rants and Opinions section

Comment

Originally posted by chazoe60 View Post
            The eating problem is more than likely just because he is in a new place with new people. Plain and simple he is a little scared and nervous. The main thing is to let him get comfortable, don't smother him too much at first.

The barking is an issue I don't really know too much about, most of my dogs have either not been barkers or we lived far enough out in the country that it didn't matter. I do have a friend who has used a shock collar, and says they work very well. It sounds harsh, and I don't really know what to think of them myself, but my buddy says it scares them more than actually hurts them. He says to think of it like tough love, take that for what it's worth.
            Oh gawd don't believe what your buddy says because those shock collars hurt like a mother f'er.

If you have never been zapped by one you should try it to see what it feels like. I guarantee you'll be shocked:shake:

Comment

Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx View Post
              Oh gawd don't believe what your buddy says because those shock collars hurt like a mother f'er.

If you have never been zapped by one you should try it to see what it feels like. I guarantee you'll be shocked:shake:
              I'm an electrician though, so I am kinda immune to it.

Comment

Originally posted by chazoe60 View Post
                I'm an electrician though, so I am kinda immune to it.
                Oh lol that solves everything

Comment

Get a hickory stick
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys for the advice. I def going to try the kong filled with peanut butter. He's a really good dog. My g/f says he's going to be momma's dog but so far he's been a daddy's dog. He loves digging his face into me and just being in my lap. Right as I type this he's passed out on my bed on my side. Atleast he knows what relax is.

Comment

Working...
                    X