A Tribute to the Elderly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Tribute to the Elderly

My father passed away years ago, after a good, productive, long life. He died of cancer. But even in his last days he was razor sharp. Bless you Dad!!
    After that, my mother slipped into a state that takes hold of so many of the aged.....we had to put her into a care home, where her life is safe and secure, but never the same.

If you haven't experienced the trials of the seniors, who often can no longer function as normal people, who lose their way, get lost into the past, or retreat from this life a shell of what they once were, it is initially quite disheartening. But in time, you understand. You visit, but sometimes you wonder what purpose you served......still you show up regularly, to keep the light flickering.....we can not measure the impact, but we can certainly determine our contribution, if we failed to visit at all.

You can view things in many ways.......the home may be a place you do not want to drop into, because these lost souls can hardly communicate (although there are those who still have excellent skills about them), or you may see it like I do........these people had dreams and lived them, like us. They were successful, and raised wonderful families, and they were active in sports and in community, and so much more.

Every so often a new posting will be placed on the board (in the care home), as another one of these people have passed on. I take the time to read about them, and learn about who they were and what they did, and where they lived. I try to preserve that image, and not that of when they could not be themselves anymore.

Enjoy your youth.....relish it! Be proud of the elderly.......
    Last edited by CanDB; 03-31-2009, 12:07 PM.

And yet elder abuse persists. I just don't understand this world sometimes.
    *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
    *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
    *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

I work/have worked at a nursing home since I was 16 years old.

On the outside looking it, it can be seen as one of the saddest and loneliest places to spend the rest of your life.

But I take pride in what I do and enjoy working with the residents. I don't even see them as residents... They are more like grandfathers and grandmothers to me.

It's neat going into work, and having someone who I'm working for and helping asking about how well I did on my last exam, or if my date went good the other night.

I try to make work fun. I try to get people engaged with each other.

I may hate the hours I work, but I love working there.

Comment

Originally posted by B4Bronco6 View Post
        I work/have worked at a nursing home since I was 16 years old.

On the outside looking it, it can be seen as one of the saddest and loneliest places to spend the rest of your life.

But I take pride in what I do and enjoy working with the residents. I don't even see them as residents... They are more like grandfathers and grandmothers to me.

It's neat going into work, and having someone who I'm working for and helping asking about how well I did on my last exam, or if my date went good the other night.

I try to make work fun. I try to get people engaged with each other.

I may hate the hours I work, but I love working there.

You can learn alot of lessons about life from the elderly. One day we will all be viewed as elders and might feel somewhat forgotten by the rest of the world.

(Brent you don't have to lie about having a date)
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by B4Bronco6 View Post
          I w, or if my date went good the other night.

Originally posted by Legendary30 View Post

Ya know... nowadays "date" is a loose term open to interpertation. I mean... agreeing to meet a buddy online for a few games of Madden on the xBox can count as a date.

Comment

Originally posted by Legendary30 View Post
            You can learn alot of lessons about life from the elderly. One day we will all be viewed as elders and might feel somewhat forgotten by the rest of the world.

*As Brent leaves the nursing home, elderly lady is overheard saying, "must be tough being him"*

Just kidding Brent......you are certainly welcome here, and good for you for working with those fine folks!!!!:thumb:

Comment

Wait... now I"m wondering if maybe Brent's "date" was with one of the elderly at the nursing home??

Comment

@ you guys.

Comment

"Thanks. Hey, I guess they're right. Senior citizens, although slow and dangerous behind the wheel, can still serve a purpose."

sorry, I thought of that quote right when I saw this thread haha
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cutty6006 View Post
                    "Thanks. Hey, I guess they're right. Senior citizens, although slow and dangerous behind the wheel, can still serve a purpose."

LLOYD CHRISTMAS in Dumb and Dumber for the win!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
                      LLOYD CHRISTMAS in Dumb and Dumber for the win!!!!!!!!!!
                      Check these out..theyre soooooooooooooo funny
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0lSe8cHpZ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQpWP...eature=related
                      Last edited by VenomousDB; 03-31-2009, 04:18 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Those were done pretty well. THanks for sharing!

Comment

Me too!!

"Dont you go dying on me!!"
                          A book I wrote

Comment

My grandmother kept active till the last day.

She ate southern fried food, never left the house without her makeup on, played poker with the guys, fished, cussed, made fun of my step grandfather....

She reminded of cross between Dixie Carter and Shirley Mclaine.

Her last day on Earth, she went to a funeral. She told the Widow "Oh hon, you look tired"....Then she turned to her husband in the coffin and said "And you look dead."

After that, she went out to eat fried catfish and three hours later, she died of a massive heart attack.

What a character & what great emotional scars she left on all of us.
                            COPYWRITED MATERIAL Copyright © 1975 by Dr Velcro

Comment

Originally posted by Fred the Bunny View Post
                              My grandmother kept active till the last day.

She ate southern fried food, never left the house without her makeup on, played poker with the guys, fished, cussed, made fun of my step grandfather....

She reminded of cross between Dixie Carter and Shirley Mclaine.

Her last day on Earth, she went to a funeral. She told the Widow "Oh hon, you look tired"....Then she turned to her husband in the coffin and said "And you look dead."

After that, she went out to eat fried catfish and three hours later, she died of a massive heart attack.

What a character & what great emotional scars she left on all of us.
                              There are not enough "characters" in this world......savour her memories.

Comment

Working...
                              X