No announcement yet.

A Tribute to the Elderly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was going to create a new thread but realized that I had initiated this one a number of years back. Time sure flies!

I know I kid about my age, but I do not seriously think of myself as a senior (although I can benefit from some senior type perks....:thumb. So when I talk about the elderly, I think of those folks who are often restricted, whether it be physically or mentally. I still remember the way my Dad's last month went, having to be placed where he didn't want to be. And then when my Mother left us a few years back, and how I am still hoping I did enough for her in her final days. She fooled me, going from a bit of a nuisance to a real trooper in the end, accepting the inevitable, and going with such strength. I was so proud of her, and that is probably why I still feel bad at times for sometimes getting annoyed with her behaviour for the last few years. It wasn't her fault. Mental issues at that age are too complex to understand at times.

But all in all, even though most of you are a fairly young in relative terms, try to appreciate that the elderly do not want to be restricted, or in pain, or that they become a nuisance (for many). As I get older I still want to have fun and feel good and do what I used to do. That hardly changes as you age. Sure we are wiser, and accept some things we can not control.....but we still want a good life.

So, if you have a chance to add a visit to an elderly family member, please think about it. And if you get a chance at volunteering for seniors, go spread your youthfulness for them to smile. And if you sense that an elderly person is being neglected, or even abused, make sure someone else knows. They need protection more so than we often understand.
    Last edited by CanDB; 03-17-2014, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Great post, Can. Totally agree with you. The stories they have locked inside. Sometimes, all they need is a willing ear.
      Administrator

#LupusAwareness

#TackleCancer

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

but old people smell funny!

OK besides the smell I can look back and am very happy my parents were a little older than average for kids my age and made me sit when they visited friends. There is no greater source of learning and wisdom that those that have been around to have gone through so much.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Peanut View Post
          Great post, Can. Totally agree with you. The stories they have locked inside. Sometimes, all they need is a willing ear.
          Thx J!

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
          but old people smell funny!

OK besides the smell I can look back and am very happy my parents were a little older than average for kids my age and made me sit when they visited friends. There is no greater source of learning and wisdom that those that have been around to have gone through so much.
          Oh no....maybe I smell and no one has told me!!! I hope my wife's senses don't fail her, because that would fail me in the end!!

And yes, the word "Elders" has such a positive connotation to it. They are so wise and they see things in a relative sense. Some folks are very bright, and at a young age.....but sometimes it takes years to be able to filter and evaluate the ways of life. Sometimes I think I am wise, but at other times, I realize I have not fully utilized all the years I have been a student of this world.

Further to......I am on eb's train, in support of our children. I do not understand how anyone can mistreat them. Everyone deserves a good chance at life, beginning in their early years. Similarly, and probably because I've lived through the difficulties of being the main source of support for my (once) elderly parents, I have seen the hardships of so many lovely older folks, who suffer more than they should, or are neglected by their families. I never thought quite that way until we went through our personal losses. In ways, I actually see similarities in the very young and the elderly......so vulnerable and so weak. So much controlled by others. I like to think I am a tough enough person, but I can not seem to distance myself from my Mother's last months. I felt like we needed to be there, because some of the medical community is not so caring after all. Not all of them, but quite a few. You have to monitor situations, because you can not fully trust those who act like they care....when you are there.
          Last edited by CanDB; 03-17-2014, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Today I bumped into an elderly man, and we started a little chat. I was running a little late. But even so, when he meticulously described a movie he had just watched, instead of telling him I had to leave, I decided to bite the bullet, and accept the fact I was not going to make it on time. Why? I could tell he was excited that someone wanted to listen. And if that altered his day in any positive way, then I'm willing to pay a small price for it.

When I told my wife why I was going to be late for our reservation, she completely understood.

It's not much, but if everyone took a few minutes to listen to the elderly, I think it would make a lot of folks feel more wanted.

Comment

Good thread, Bro. I miss my Mom and Dad.
              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Working...
              X