Child abuse awareness month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child abuse awareness month

I know alot of you out there reading this are parents, but this applies to everyone. Too often we read stories about children being abused or negelcted in the news. It's disgusting to me how a person, let alone a parent, out there can hurt a child, but it happens. It's a sad fact of life. Myself? I was reared in foster care. Adopted at the age of 8 by my wonderful parents who saved my life. Before them I was subject to physical, sexual, mental and verbal abuse while in the care of multiple foster homes. I can speak first hand to the fear that a lot of children have in coming out to an adult for help, because it's the adults who have been hurting them.

This month, April, is the month for child abuse awareness. If you can, please hug your children, nephews, nieces... whoever... just show a child you are there for them if they need help. Thank you for helping the children.

Mods- if this is inapropriate for GD feel free to move it to the fabled LR.
    *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
    *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
    *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
    I know alot of you out there reading this are parents, but this applies to everyone. Too often we read stories about children being abused or negelcted in the news. It's disgusting to me how a person, let alone a parent, out there can hurt a child, but it happens. It's a sad fact of life. Myself? I was reared in foster care. Adopted at the age of 8 by my wonderful parents who saved my life. Before them I was subject to physical, sexual, mental and verbal abuse while in the care of multiple foster homes. I can speak first hand to the fear that a lot of children have in coming out to an adult for help, because it's the adults who have been hurting them.

This month, April, is the month for child abuse awareness. If you can, please hug your children, nephews, nieces... whoever... just show a child you are there for them if they need help. Thank you for helping the children.

What is this LR you speak of?! I heard it wasn't real!
    sigpic

Comment

If I ever meet someone that abuses their little daughter, I am going to SEVERELY abuse them....
      sigpic

And THAT'S, the Cosmic Perspective.

Comment

eb, thanks for sharing. Your life proves that love can heal many things.

My parents were alcoholics. My abuse was more emotional.

It's our duty to protect the kids.
        Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

Lupus Awareness Month

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoFaninMD View Post

No prob. I'm not ashamed of where I came from. I've talked to many children and my theory is this- if I can change the life of at least one child in a positive manner, then everything I went through will be completely vaildated. This post sounds like I'm looking for sympathy, :nono: Far from it. I would not change a thing, it is what has made me who I am.

Comment

Originally posted by broooks77 View Post
            What is this LR you speak of?! I heard it wasn't real!
            The what?

Comment

The what?
              Exactly
              sigpic

Comment

My dad is an alcoholic so I know what you mean.
                sigpic

Comment

Ebsoria,

Thanks for the thread and for sharing your story.:salute!:

As many of you know, I am not really a corn farmer. I actually work in the child mental health/social services field. In the past, I have supervised crisis intervention programs that work with families who have children who are victims of abuse. I currently work with agencies across IL on helping provide stable, nurturing foster homes to kids in substitute care.

Child abuse is a sad fact. It is a truly tragic crime that is all too often not talked about (although that has changed for the better in recent years). I am always glad for April to come around so that the innocent victims of these crimes are brought back into the light for at least a short period of time. Often, there are awareness activities that take place throughout the month of April. I have a blue ribbon on the window of my car that is a "child abuse awareness" ribbon. Sometimes you will see blue sillouettes of children posted in the yards of police stations, child advocacy centers, or the like. If agencies in your community are hosting an awareness activity, please consider supporting or participating in them.

When children can't speak up for themselves, it's up to us as caring adults to speak out for them.
                  Originally posted by Broncoholic3233
                  FF is awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Flatlander Fan View Post
                    Ebsoria,

As many of you know, I am not really a corn farmer. I actually work in the child mental health/social services field. In the past, I have supervised crisis intervention programs that work with families who have children who are victims of abuse. I currently work with agencies across IL on helping provide stable, nurturing foster homes to kids in substitute care.

Child abuse is a sad fact. It is a truly tragic crime that is all too often not talked about (although that has changed for the better in recent years). I am always glad for April to come around so that the innocent victims of these crimes are brought back into the light for at least a short period of time. Often, there are awareness activities that take place throughout the month of April. I have a blue ribbon on the window of my car that is a "child abuse awareness" ribbon. Sometimes you will see blue sillouettes of children posted in the yards of police stations, child advocacy centers, or the like. If agencies in your community are hosting an awareness activity, please consider supporting or participating in them.

When children can't speak up for themselves, it's up to us as caring adults to speak out for them.
                    When I was selling cars I always wore a blue ribbon on my collar. Everyone asked me what it was for and I gladly told them. That ribbon is now on my backback so not as many people see it. But... as long as we make people aware of it, we can make some changes.

FF, thanks for doing your part as well. I :salute!: you and everyone else who has helped.

Comment

This is a great thread. I need to go find me a blue ribbon.

FF, :salute!:

My dad is an alcoholic so I know what you mean.
                      Do you still live at home? There are organizations that can help you cope. I never went to one, but I hear they are very helpful.

PM me if you ever need/want to talk/vent.
                      Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

Lupus Awareness Month

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Do you still live at home? There are organizations that can help you cope. I never went to one, but I hear they are very helpful.

Yes i do still live at home. And thank you. My mom has helped my cope with it so far. But Thank you very much.
                        sigpic

Comment

Yes i do still live at home. And thank you. My mom has helped my cope with it so far. But Thank you very much.
                          Alchoholism is a tought hing to deal with. I'm glad for you that you have your mom. If you need anything I am sure there are a few posters around here who would be willing to lend and ear or offer advise. Just don't forget that.

Comment

Originally posted by Flatlander Fan View Post
                            Ebsoria,

I believe if you've been raised in a decent manner you do not fully appreciate the problems that are caused by abusive parents. In that regard I will also equate abusive to non-existant. And it's hard to like teenagers or adults who are crime-oriented, but many times they have come from abusive homes, and therefore do not function normally. I am certainly not sticking up for them, but I do understand some of what has led to their demise as humans. Kids need love and warmth and guidance and reassurance. If you are raised without any of those things, your chances of being a responsible, loving, caring person are no doubt in some jeopardy. Not that people can't succeed, but they definitely have been handicapped right from the start.

So it is especially important that parents be parents, so that every child has a positive start in their lives, and are then able to nurture and love and care for others.

As we all know, life can be hard, but life without a good upbringing is another matter all together.

Take the time to love your kids......

Nice one eb!!!!

Comment

Check this site out....

Comment

Working...
                              X