Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weather 101

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wow the wildfires in Texas and CA are doing lots of damage.
    So sad to hear. Wish I could send them LOTS/ALL of our rain.

    Comment


    • AHHHHH!!!!!! So refreshing!!!!!!!! It was I think in the low 80's today possibly even high 70's and it felt GOOD!!!!!!!! Saying as how this area is probably near 60 days of 100 degree weather for the year this was so nice and relaxing, it was AWESOME!
      sigpic
      Sig pic by dbfan2007

      Originally posted by kishzilla
      You truly are a special kind of strange ha ha ha.
      You damn right!

      Songs engineered, mixed, and mastered by yours truly...
      Have It All - Blu3
      Conceited - Blu3
      Intro (Failure Meets Success) - Blu3
      All On You - Blu3

      Comment


      • Our high today was 69 - and that was one minute after midnight. It's been raining all day and it seems we can't get much past 60 degrees.

        Something else I noticed: pink on the radar - which means "frozen mix". As soon as it clears I'm guessing I'll be seeing white on the surrounding mountains. Pics tomorrow (clouds/weather permitting).

        Yep, Winter Is Coming.
        Winter is Coming!

        Comment


        • Huge thunderstorm.

          From our local station:

          Expect more flooding rain Wednesday night into the day Thursday from the "raintrain" generated by the remnants of Tropical Storm Lee and the "squeezeplay" of moisture as Hurricane Katia swirls offshore
          We're right where those two meet.

          Had a tornado warning.

          And, hubby sleeps through it all.
          Administrator
          sigpic

          #LupusAwareness

          #TackleCancer - Adopted Bronco: Phillip Lindsay

          "a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

          Comment


          • East coast getting pounded with rain while Texas begs for it.

            Wild fires are burning amuck all over out here and there is a fall nip in the air already.

            Maybe this global warming thing really has something to it after all. Such an odd year and such drastic conditions occurring in various places and that's just here in the US.

            Now the hurricanes are lining up.
            :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

            sigpic

            Comment


            • Fresh snow on the mountains this morning... probably down to somewhere between the 11,000-11,500 foot level.

              Beautimous! (but kind of chilly)
              Winter is Coming!

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Mount-n-Groan View Post
                Fresh snow on the mountains this morning... probably down to somewhere between the 11,000-11,500 foot level.

                Beautimous! (but kind of chilly)
                What's the elevation where you live?

                Here in the Treasure Valley it's only about 2500 feet, so the weather is actually pretty mild for being in the northwest.

                Today it's overcast and cool outside, probably in the lower seventies right now. It's quite refreshing after the last few weeks of 90+ temperatures.
                sigpic
                Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

                Comment


                • My house sits just below 6000 feet - which is a relatively low elevation here. The valley I live in has great views of all the surrounding high country. The 10,000+ foot flat topped Grand Mesa to the north, the 10,000+ foot sloped Uncompahgre Plateau to the west, with the San Juan Mountains dominating the horizon from the southeast to the southwest. The San Juans have 14 peaks above 14,000 feet and I can see 3 of them clearly from my house. I think there are 329 peaks in the San Juans over 13,000 feet, and over 1000 peaks above 10,000 feet, so it's a fairly extensive mountain group.

                  6000 feet seems high to some people, but like I said it's pretty low for around here. The bottom of the Uncompahgre Valley (in which I live) is actually considered a desert (less than 10 inches of precip a year), but you don't have to go far to be in drastically different biomes, weather and overall climatic environments. As you mentioned, latitude means a lot too. I'm sitting just north of the 38th parallel. The climate here in the valley is pretty mild, and heavy snow isn't that common (for a variety of reasons), but during the winter months I'm just minutes from 3-5 feet of snow and the 10+ feet stuff is probably around 25 miles away (as the crow flies) in numerous directions. It's a cool place, but a little misunderstood. Most are entirely unaware of the extreme variability of the region.

                  Anyway, I have this sweet high dollar remote control outdoor video camera that I hope to mount on top of my house one of these days (along with a weather station). Once that's done I'll get it online so I can share current conditions / views / weather with others. I'm sure I'll be posting a few screenies in this thread.

                  Winter is Coming!

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Mount-n-Groan View Post
                    My house sits just below 6000 feet - which is a relatively low elevation here. The valley I live in has great views of all the surrounding high country. The 10,000+ foot flat topped Grand Mesa to the north, the 10,000+ foot sloped Uncompahgre Plateau to the west, with the San Juan Mountains dominating the horizon from the southeast to the southwest. The San Juans have 14 peaks above 14,000 feet and I can see 3 of them clearly from my house. I think there are 329 peaks in the San Juans over 13,000 feet, and over 1000 peaks above 10,000 feet, so it's a fairly extensive mountain group.

                    6000 feet seems high to some people, but like I said it's pretty low for around here. The bottom of the Uncompahgre Valley (in which I live) is actually considered a desert (less than 10 inches of precip a year), but you don't have to go far to be in drastically different biomes, weather and overall climatic environments. As you mentioned, latitude means a lot too. I'm sitting just north of the 38th parallel. The climate here in the valley is pretty mild, and heavy snow isn't that common (for a variety of reasons), but during the winter months I'm just minutes from 3-5 feet of snow and the 10+ feet stuff is probably around 25 miles away (as the crow flies) in numerous directions. It's a cool place, but a little misunderstood. Most are entirely unaware of the extreme variability of the region.

                    Anyway, I have this sweet high dollar remote control outdoor video camera that I hope to mount on top of my house one of these days (along with a weather station). Once that's done I'll get it online so I can share current conditions / views / weather with others. I'm sure I'll be posting a few screenies in this thread.


                    That sounds like a beautiful place.


                    We have some beautiful scenery here as well, but nothing with elevations like that. I believe the tallest peak in Idaho is 12,6k, and is about 175 miles from here.

                    I can go about an hour and find ranges in the 8-9k range.
                    sigpic
                    Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

                    Comment


                    • The clouds lifted just long enough for me to snap a pic or two this morning...

                      Winter is Coming!

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Mount-n-Groan View Post
                        The clouds lifted just long enough for me to snap a pic or two this morning...

                        That' is absolutely stunning my friend. The next time we take a summer vacation I'm gonna come calling!

                        That looks a lot like the Grand Tetons or the Sawtooths in Idaho.



                        This is part of the Sawtooth Range in Stanley, Idaho. It's about 1.5 hours from here. It's a gorgeous place, but the weather can get pretty brutal. During the winter months there's usually a handful of days where it's the coldest place in the nation. I believe the elevation there is around 8k, and the peaks are probably 10-11k.
                        sigpic
                        Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

                        Comment




                        • This is Redfish Lake that's about 10 minutes souteast of Stanley. BTW, no that's not my motorcycle above. I just pulled these pictures off of photobucket. Later on I'll check to see if I can upload the pictures we took a few years ago on our summer vacation.

                          I love vacationing there because in the summer the temperatures are always 10-15 degrees cooler than it is here in the Treasure Valley, and the best part is, cell service is really spotty.

                          We spent 5 days there about 5 years ago, and it was so refreshing. We camped right on this river below, and I saw a hawk dive below the tree line, then a few minutes later go flying away with a trout in it's talons....as you can imagine that was pretty cool to see.

                          sigpic
                          Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

                          Comment


                          • Next 5 Days

                            Today
                            Sep 18
                            A couple of strong t-storms
                            88°Lo 70°

                            Tomorrow
                            Sep 19
                            Partly sunny with a t-storm
                            86°Lo 65°

                            Tuesday
                            Sep 20
                            Sunshine and patchy clouds
                            88°Lo 68°

                            Wednesday
                            Sep 21
                            Partly sunny
                            87°Lo 59°

                            Have you ever seen such a nice forecast? Not 1, 100 degree day in sight and we have actually had rain the last couple days (only good rain once though).
                            sigpic
                            Sig pic by dbfan2007

                            Originally posted by kishzilla
                            You truly are a special kind of strange ha ha ha.
                            You damn right!

                            Songs engineered, mixed, and mastered by yours truly...
                            Have It All - Blu3
                            Conceited - Blu3
                            Intro (Failure Meets Success) - Blu3
                            All On You - Blu3

                            Comment


                            • Nice picture shots Mount-n-Groan and Al Wilson

                              Anyone know the weather forecast in Denver for the game?

                              I'm hoping for no rain.

                              The game was sloppy last week.

                              Comment


                              • 61 and overcast in the U.P. of Michigan right now.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X