Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weather 101

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by RunYouOver View Post
    Blizzarding in the north east today. It's October.
    We didn't get much but hope the folks to the south of us(Connecticut for example.....) got their power back sounds like it was a mess in some places.

    Comment


    • This "Santa Ana Wind Event" out here in the west is ridiculously unbelievable. Those of us out here in UT, AZ, NV and CA know what I'm talking about.

      The thing that irks me is "poor California" and all the attention they seem to draw because their city officials can't learn to bury power lines and when trees knock them over it's like a huge surprise. 200K+ without power there. UT at 50K+

      Vegas reported in here with major winds and downed trees, fences and flying debris just like the rest of us. Around SLC, there were 10 semis blown on their sides and they had to restrict the traffic which is still on. Amazing footage coming in from around here as well as CA.

      Centerville Utah had wind gusts at 100mph and several other UT gusts clocked at 80+. It is down right crazy out here. We got officially 4" of snow with this whole mess but I had to shovel a 3' drift in our driveway. Snow drifts when this windy can actually be amazing and pretty cool until you have to move them.

      It's been nuts out here and not expected to end until Saturday. Just as long as I don't have to tie the dog down anymore so she doesn't blow away during potty trips.

      Hangin' on to our hats!!
      :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

      sigpic

      Comment


      • Originally posted by BroncoManiac_69 View Post
        This "Santa Ana Wind Event" out here in the west is ridiculously unbelievable. Those of us out here in UT, AZ, NV and CA know what I'm talking about.

        The thing that irks me is "poor California" and all the attention they seem to draw because their city officials can't learn to bury power lines and when trees knock them over it's like a huge surprise. 200K+ without power there. UT at 50K+

        Vegas reported in here with major winds and downed trees, fences and flying debris just like the rest of us. Around SLC, there were 10 semis blown on their sides and they had to restrict the traffic which is still on. Amazing footage coming in from around here as well as CA.

        Centerville Utah had wind gusts at 100mph and several other UT gusts clocked at 80+. It is down right crazy out here. We got officially 4" of snow with this whole mess but I had to shovel a 3' drift in our driveway. Snow drifts when this windy can actually be amazing and pretty cool until you have to move them.

        It's been nuts out here and not expected to end until Saturday. Just as long as I don't have to tie the dog down anymore so she doesn't blow away during potty trips.

        Hangin' on to our hats!!
        Yeah it's been very windy up here in northern Cali.
        sigpic
        2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

        Comment


        • The weather outside is weather!
          2013 Adopt-a-Bronco: Demaryius Thomas

          sigpic

          Comment


          • I just did the driveway with the little tractor. Mostly for fun though. I just don't get to do that often.

            Most of it was only an inch or two, but I did have a drift that topped out at maybe 8 or 9. Powdery though. Went right thru it.

            Ice fishing season is coming! :thumb:

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Broncoholic3233 View Post
              The weather outside is weather!
              I saw Colorado getting the snow too. Gonna be brrrrr chillin' tonight with that wind chill factor setting in.

              Originally posted by JWinn View Post
              I just did the driveway with the little tractor. Mostly for fun though. I just don't get to do that often.

              Most of it was only an inch or two, but I did have a drift that topped out at maybe 8 or 9. Powdery though. Went right thru it.

              Ice fishing season is coming! :thumb:

              Yes it was very powdery. Light fluffy stuff. I'm gonna need me one of those nifty tractors one of these years. This shovel and muscle approach really sucks and takes too long when the drifts are that big.
              :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

              sigpic

              Comment


              • Originally posted by BroncoManiac_69 View Post
                I saw Colorado getting the snow too. Gonna be brrrrr chillin' tonight with that wind chill factor setting in.
                Yeah. Fort Collins hasn't gotten too much snow yet, though it is very cold.

                I'm sure we'll get more tonight or tomorrow though.
                2013 Adopt-a-Bronco: Demaryius Thomas

                sigpic

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Broncoholic3233 View Post
                  The weather outside is weather!


                  I agree. Very weathery out there today. :paper:

                  Recent reports on some of the passes have wind gusts around 90mph.

                  And... OMG!!!

                  Just noticed that at the top of a lift in Steamboat this morning there was a 123mph wind recorded!!!

                  0600 AM NON-TSTM WND GST STEAMBOAT SPRINGS 40.48N 106.82W
                  12/01/2011 E123 MPH ROUTT CO

                  EVENT TIME APPROXIMATE. LOCATION WAS TOP OF LIFT AT
                  STEAMBOAT SKI RESORT. IN TOWN...TREES BLOWN DOWN. REPORT
                  OF ROOFS ON BUILDINGS SEVERELY DAMAGED
                  Yikes... Makes my 40mph gusts seem like a gentle, yet still very annoying, breeze.
                  Winter is Coming!

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by BroncoManiac_69 View Post
                    I saw Colorado getting the snow too. Gonna be brrrrr chillin' tonight with that wind chill factor setting in.



                    Yes it was very powdery. Light fluffy stuff. I'm gonna need me one of those nifty tractors one of these years. This shovel and muscle approach really sucks and takes too long when the drifts are that big.

                    http://www.google.com/imgres?q=john+...t:429,r:4,s:18


                    Different model tractor, but that's pretty much it. Same blower attachment. Works fantastic!

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Mount-n-Groan View Post


                      I agree. Very weathery out there today. :paper:

                      Recent reports on some of the passes have wind gusts around 90mph.

                      And... OMG!!!

                      Just noticed that at the top of a lift in Steamboat this morning there was a 123mph wind recorded!!!


                      Yikes... Makes my 40mph gusts seem like a gentle, yet still very annoying, breeze.
                      Yeah... Seems like 40mph is nothing today when that in itself is pretty windy.

                      So far, Utah I think the highest of 102 gust near Centerville. That town is really wiped out.

                      Brian Williams on Nightly News said there was gusts as high as 140 but he didn't say where.

                      One good thing for us, is the fence that blew down last year and is now repaired withstood this first major test.
                      Last edited by BroncoManiac_69; 12-01-2011, 06:05 PM.
                      :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • After it took me hours to remove that snow drift from our driveway, I have another one out there about 6" high and it didn't even snow more.

                        :hammer:
                        :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

                        sigpic

                        Comment




                        • Denver weather forecast! BRRRR!!!!

                          Comment


                          • About 7 inches of new snow and it's still coming down pretty hard.

                            What's funny is that the forecast said "less than half an inch expected overnight".

                            I was a little surprised, but figured it would be the light and fluffy stuff and I could clear the walks in no time. My back is now telling me that it wasn't so light and fluffy...
                            Winter is Coming!

                            Comment


                            • A couple more days, and the daylight start getting longer yay!

                              I survived another season of darkness
                              so far.......
                              Last edited by 2 Minute Warning; 12-20-2011, 05:49 PM.

                              Comment


                              • It snowed a foot at my house yesterday on top of a foot already on the ground. Looks like a good winter. Already over three feet accumulated snowfall.
                                "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X