• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lumiere
    All-Time Great
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
    Good winter or bad winter?

BTW.....time for me to watch Groundhog Day (although just like him in the movie, I have done that too many times!!)
    Phil doesn’t say…he keeps you in meteorological suspense…or he doesn’t know (neither would surprise me).

Groundhog Day is looping on AMC all day – it just won’t stop.
    To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

• CanDB
      Football Immortal
      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
      Phil doesn’t say…he keeps you in meteorological suspense…or he doesn’t know (neither would surprise me).

Groundhog Day is looping on AMC all day – it just won’t stop.
      We just flipped channels and guess which movie was playing? Have to admit, really liked it the first couple of times......but that was one heck of a long day!!

Comment

• CanDB
        Football Immortal
        • Mar 2008

Just read that La Nina is already in "bye bye" mode (after a relatively short resurgence), and that El Nino is on the verge of returning. I hope so, based on the weather we typically get when El kicks out La. We tend to get warmer but drier, and that is my kind of weather.

You folks winners or losers with El???

Comment

• Lumiere
          All-Time Great
          • Jan 2011

Just read that La Nina is already in "bye bye" mode (after a relatively short resurgence), and that El Nino is on the verge of returning. I hope so, based on the weather we typically get when El kicks out La. We tend to get warmer but drier, and that is my kind of weather.

We generally win in our locale with El due to rainfall (warmer/wetter). Oddly, last year was an historically strong El Nino, but extremely dry here. We kept waiting for the monster rainstorms, and…nothing . I guess they were lollygagging and decided to hit us this winter.

Speaking of which, a big storm is headed for us tonight through Saturday afternoon (three to four inches expected at our coast and five to 10 inches in the foothills, which is crazy). Described as a 10 – 20 year storm - our gnarly winter rolls on.

Comment

• Rastic
            Modulated
            • Oct 2013

We generally win in our locale with El due to rainfall (warmer/wetter). Oddly, last year was an historically strong El Nino, but extremely dry here. We kept waiting for the monster rainstorms, and…nothing . I guess they were lollygagging and decided to hit us this winter.

Speaking of which, a big storm is headed for us tonight through Saturday afternoon (three to four inches expected at our coast and five to 10 inches in the foothills, which is crazy). Described as a 10 – 20 year storm - our gnarly winter rolls on.
            I know, we had rivers in our yard during the last big storm which, I think dumped the same amount of water expected in this storm over a longer period of time. Here they are saying 2-4 inches within hours. And up in the bay area something like 8 inches and up to 15 inches in the foothills of norcal.

Stay dry my friend!

Comment

• Lumiere
              All-Time Great
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Rastic View Post
              I know, we had rivers in our yard during the last big storm which, I think dumped the same amount of water expected in this storm over a longer period of time. Here they are saying 2-4 inches within hours. And up in the bay area something like 8 inches and up to 15 inches in the foothills of norcal.

Stay dry my friend!
              Hunker down, bud…it’s coming for you too! Hope you and yours aren’t too badly threatened by this one, that’s a scary amount of water! Luckily, we’re not in a flood prone area, but this is a huge storm.

Comment

• Peanut
                ModNut
                • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Rastic View Post

Stay dry my friend!
                Hunker down, bud…it’s coming for you too! Hope you and yours aren’t too badly threatened by this one, that’s a scary amount of water! Luckily, we’re not in a flood prone area, but this is a huge storm.
                CA really needs the rain, but it never comes in a nice drizzle over several days, does it? I know the road I used to live on up near SF is flooded.

Be safe!
                Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

Lupus Awareness Month

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

• Lumiere
                  All-Time Great
                  • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Peanut View Post
                  CA really needs the rain, but it never comes in a nice drizzle over several days, does it? I know the road I used to live on up near SF is flooded.

Be safe!
                  Wow! That's scary when the floods hit that close to home (or where home used to be).

This has been a phenomenally wet winter. Mammoth has over 28 feet of snow, Oroville Dam suffered spillway damage, Lake Shasta is at nearly 95% capacity...the drought busting deluge continues.

Comment

• CanDB
                    Football Immortal
                    • Mar 2008

Yikes, that is such unusual weather. When we were there just 1and 1/ 2 years ago, it was bone dry.

Wish you well.

Comment

• Peanut
                      ModNut
                      • Jan 2007

Wow! That's scary when the floods hit that close to home (or where home used to be).

This has been a phenomenally wet winter. Mammoth has over 28 feet of snow, Oroville Dam suffered spillway damage, Lake Shasta is at nearly 95% capacity...the drought busting deluge continues.
                      There's a creek at the end of the road and when it rains, it pretends to be a river. It floods the 6 houses closest to it. We lived at the other end. With the other roads that are up against the creek, that's about 30 homes that get flooded.

I've been reading about Oroville Dam and about trees being down (redwoods).
                      Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

Lupus Awareness Month

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

• Butler By'Note
                        Super Moderator
                        • Dec 2008

You Winnipegers, I don't know how you do it? 10 days ago Calgary had the most snow on the ground we've had since December 21, 2008, there was 28cm on the ground. One week long chinook, with temperatures above 10 every day (50 for you American folk) including 1 day where we set a record over 16, and now my front lawn has no snow on it again. That's the best way to do winter, well other than completely avoiding it.

And now having said that I will acknowledge your city s way superior in removal of snow from the roads. When we got the 28cm of snow, over 3 days, the city didn't seem to do anything, the roads were complete ice and I went 3 days without seeing any road graders of sanding trucks. It seems the policy of "we'll get a chinook eventually" is a ridiculous one.

Comment

• CanDB
                          Football Immortal
                          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                          You Winnipegers, I don't know how you do it? 10 days ago Calgary had the most snow on the ground we've had since December 21, 2008, there was 28cm on the ground. One week long chinook, with temperatures above 10 every day (50 for you American folk) including 1 day where we set a record over 16, and now my front lawn has no snow on it again. That's the best way to do winter, well other than completely avoiding it.

And now having said that I will acknowledge your city s way superior in removal of snow from the roads. When we got the 28cm of snow, over 3 days, the city didn't seem to do anything, the roads were complete ice and I went 3 days without seeing any road graders of sanding trucks. It seems the policy of "we'll get a chinook eventually" is a ridiculous one.
                          Hey bud, I envy you Albertans, and your chinooks! Not to mention, the mountains and all the other cool things about your province.

But before you give us too many accolades about snow removal, we are not as impressed as we once were, and have been hearing about the superior way others conduct this process.

Good news though, we are melting for a few more days, and once you leave deep freeze, and the days get longer, the smell of spring is almost in the air!!

Comment

• Lumiere
                            All-Time Great
                            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Peanut View Post
                            There's a creek at the end of the road and when it rains, it pretends to be a river. It floods the 6 houses closest to it. We lived at the other end. With the other roads that are up against the creek, that's about 30 homes that get flooded.

I've been reading about Oroville Dam and about trees being down (redwoods).
                            That’s really spooky…it’s such a tragedy when someone loses their house (or suffers major flood damage). With the storm that’s hitting us right now, there’s bound to be mudslides that will inundate many. We certainly need the rain…just not like this.

Comment

• Butler By'Note
                              Super Moderator
                              • Dec 2008

Hey bud, I envy you Albertans, and your chinooks! Not to mention, the mountains and all the other cool things about your province.

But before you give us too many accolades about snow removal, we are not as impressed as we once were, and have been hearing about the superior way others conduct this process.

Good news though, we are melting for a few more days, and once you leave deep freeze, and the days get longer, the smell of spring is almost in the air!!
                              One of my best friends lives in Winnipeg, he moved from Calgary, almost 7 years now, but still visits here several times per year. All we hear from him is how much better the snow clearing is there.

Comment

• CanDB
                                Football Immortal
                                • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                                One of my best friends lives in Winnipeg, he moved from Calgary, almost 7 years now, but still visits here several times per year. All we hear from him is how much better the snow clearing is there.
                                Then you got it bad my friend!!!

Essentially we are very fast to adapt to very bad winter conditions, and this city is basically up and running in no time. But recently I've read how places like Quebec City, and Minneapolis have better ways to manage snow. Hey, I want that title, "Snow Manager". Maybe even "CEO of Snow"!!

One question....did you luckily avoid that nasty flooding a while back? I felt for your city.
                                Last edited by CanDB; 02-17-2017, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X