Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Airports (.....need a break from the draft!!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airports (.....need a break from the draft!!)

Airports are an amazing gathering place, mostly just for coming and going, and not for staying very long (unless you are blessed with good eateries in your home town ports!!!). Inside those buildings, more specifically, inside the heads of the “transitioners” are a wide array of emotions and reasons for being there......they can range from the bleakest of feelings to the most exciting, happy ones.

The majority of the time we fly revolves around business, vacation and visiting loved ones. All three can invoke feelings of excitement, joy, and anticipation. But if the reasons for travel are on the downside.....possibly a problem to be resolved, illness or worse, and maybe because someone has to leave for a long period of time, airports can be a place of some sorrow.......the very thought of saying goodbye to the ones we care about the most is often very difficult. Sometimes it’s painful for other reasons - someone is missing luggage or has to reroute a flight. I’ve been fortunate in that regard, but have still felt anguish of leaving someone or some folks, experiencing some “administrative” issues (where’s my suitcase???) and so on.

On the other hand, usually the airport is the place where smiling faces prevail......people visiting or returning to loved ones; people going on exciting vacations; people off to new adventures; each of which case the world is a great, big “full of hope and fun” playground. And I love airport environments; the very idea of going on a huge flying object to go to some faraway place, in such a short period of time. In fact when I was young, sometimes we’d go to the airport just to watch the planes take off, wondering where everyone was going, and why. And often I’d be wishing I was on that next flight to somewhere...... to a place where someone awaits me, or where the sun would be my friend, or a place where a new, exciting venture was about to happen.

My airport experiences have almost always been good. I love the energy (okay, some folks are sleeping in between flights), both physically and mentally, with full concentration of the day ahead. I especially love the adrenaline jolt just before your loved ones return.

Okay on the downside, I have been in some airports far too long, and as I have already posted elsewhere, on a trip to Europe we not only had to sprint our way to catch a couple of flights (and sit there all sweaty for an hour or so), but I also got separated from my family because I walked though the wrong door to go to the washroom. That was almost a disaster, but we somehow pulled off meeting up only moments before the flight back to Canada.....(believe me, my family has never forgotten that particular error in judgement!!!:hammer

Next time you go to the airport, take a look around and imagine all the stories in progress and waiting to be told. Catch the excitement. Hope everyone is coming or going for good reasons. Feel the vibes that an airport can provide like few other places. In a world full of normal, everyday stuff, the airport contains possibilities, fulfilment of plans, and the realization of dreams.

i spend close to 70 hours a week in airports

i do the weather at logan in boston, tf green in providence rhode island and otis air national guard base on cape cod

i'm overlooking the runways at tf green as i type

but yeah...airports are a great place to people watch

Comment

Originally posted by Apoc13 View Post
      i spend close to 70 hours a week in airports

i do the weather at logan in boston, tf green in providence rhode island and otis air national guard base on cape cod

i'm overlooking the runways at tf green as i type

but yeah...airports are a great place to people watch
      guess you can tell many-a-story......

Comment

I got stuck in O'Hare for like 12 hours once....I ended up getting really drunk (with a fake ID) and passing out in one of the little terminals for a while...and definitely got sick on the tiny little commuter jet back home...that day sucked....

...on a side note...Bradley Int'l in Connecticut is a quaint little airport.
        sigpic

And THAT'S, the Cosmic Perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
          guess you can tell many-a-story......
          not too many people stories...i work alone in an office

though the patriots and whoever they're playing fly in and out of tf green and the jet parks right outside my window

belichick enjoys eating little pretzels while waiting in the bus

Comment

Originally posted by Apoc13 View Post
            belichick enjoys eating little pretzels while waiting in the bus
            ......while revamping the football world.......

Comment

Another horrible post by Can. :nono: Geesh.
              I told you Im Venomous, my dark side is coming out

But I like airports and I love to fly. Fortunately Ive never gotten stuck in one because I know thats a pain in the ass. DIA is a pain because its way out in the middle of nowhere. I like Las Vegas' airport, its right off the strip so its very convenient.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gr3yStreet View Post
                I got stuck in O'Hare for like 12 hours once....I ended up getting really drunk (with a fake ID) and passing out in one of the little terminals for a while...and definitely got sick on the tiny little commuter jet back home...that day sucked....

...on a side note...Bradley Int'l in Connecticut is a quaint little airport.
                I was stuck at O'Hare for 30 hours once during a blizzard. I will NEVER forget how aggravating that was.

For the most part, airports are an amazing place to watch/see people. But I'll tell you what. The inexperienced traveler is so stupid. So naive. It absolutely drives me crazy when certain people think they are the only ones there.

Waiting, bording and dear God once your on the plane, HELLO!!!!!!

There are rules and procedures to follow. We all know them. Well, at least us frequent flyers, but sometimes I cannot believe how STUPID some people are. It is highly aggravating to deal with these people.

I posted in the LR about our trip back from Tampa last November. We had some STUPID flipping woman that thought she was it. She would not even get out of her seat to let the others get into the middle/window seats. She was on the aisle.

We got delayed for 40 minutes until Atlanta police came and yanked her off the plane. The ignorance and stupidity was beyond belief and I actually wrote to Frontier Airlines telling them to deny this woman access to any plane in the future.

There are no words to properly explain how wrong that whole thing was.

Airports in general are pretty cool. I always enjoy them. I enjoy flying and enjoy the experience for the most part.
                :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VenomousDB View Post

But I like airports and I love to fly. Fortunately Ive never gotten stuck in one because I know thats a pain in the ass. DIA is a pain because its way out in the middle of nowhere. I like Las Vegas' airport, its right off the strip so its very convenient.
                  I fly out of Vegas and most of the time am routed through Denver going east. I actually like DIA. They have smoking areas.

Not to mention the speed of things there and all of the options there.

Vegas, if you're flying Delta, you have to wait over an hour just to check in. I avoid Delta like the plaque there.

It is right off the strip as you say and it's pretty good there for the volume they handle. It's a lot smaller than DIA.

sigpic

Comment

airports are odd for me.....like a lot of places....it's one of those areas where you will pass/see thousands of people.....and that split second will be the only time in your life....you have no idea if you saw someone on the last day of their life.....if you said the final hello someone will ever hear.....tons and tons of people who you just never get to know.....if I could do anything....it would be to have an hour long conversation with each person on Earth.....i know it's impossible and slightly off topic....it's just odd sharing the planet with so many and meeting so few
                    "Badger my a$$ it's probably Milhouse...."

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoManiac_69 View Post
                      I fly out of Vegas and most of the time am routed through Denver going east. I actually like DIA. They have smoking areas.

Not to mention the speed of things there and all of the options there.

Vegas, if you're flying Delta, you have to wait over an hour just to check in. I avoid Delta like the plaque there.

It is right off the strip as you say and it's pretty good there for the volume they handle. It's a lot smaller than DIA.
                      Yeah its a lot smaller. I actually read that DIA is the 10th busiest airport in the world
                      sigpic

Comment

Yeah its a lot smaller. I actually read that DIA is the 10th busiest airport in the world
                        Atlanta is #1 and being through there, I can see why.

Chicago is #2 and also can see why.

I believe Newark is #3

Denver was #7 so a little surprised you mention it at #10.

EDIT: I see you said "world" not just domestic which would make some more sense. Not only that, Denver is the only airport security that found the titanium implanted in my leg. They also have poofer machines that find drugs.
                        Last edited by BroncoManiac_69; 04-27-2009, 12:46 AM.

sigpic

Comment

Chicago Midway airport is the best ! :salute!:
                          :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

Comment

Originally posted by LarryDean View Post
                            Chicago Midway airport is the best ! :salute!:

Like if you're flying into Cincinnati, go Dayton. :thumb:

sigpic

Comment

Thx VD!!!

Boy you're venomous, like nobody's business......:hammer:

Comment

Working...
                              X