Anyone else have a Green Thumb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else have a Green Thumb?

Yep, that's right. :thumb: I got my garden planted this weekend. Beautiful sunny weather in the 80's forced my hands into action. Alas, no corn this year. Going with soybeans instead (edamame, in fact). I've also planted tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, zucchini, lettuce, basil, cilantro, garlic, and an experimental crop of okra. I'm also planting a watermelon patch where I cut down an old apple tree a couple years ago. :dance:

Anyone else a gardener? If so, what are you growing?
    Originally posted by Broncoholic3233
    FF is awesome!

I had a internship during my sophomore year in college where I worked as a counselor for juveniles.. As an activity we worked on the backyard of their home..we planted tomatoes, cucumbers, celery and eggplant...we didn't try for any of the hard stuff like you with the corn I afraid..

The turnout was good actually we had alot of fun..hope your corn comes around tho..

Comment

I used to have a garden. Tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, zucchini. I loved having fresh veggies. Now, I just go to the Farmer's Market. I do have apples, pears, peaches, apricots, blueberries and strawberries. Most gets eaten by the birds and the little rabbit family that hangs out.
      Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage

Lupus Awareness

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Oh! I LOVE edamame!!! Everytime we go out for sushi that is the first thing I order... well, with the large bottle of Asahi, of course. Then some soy and you're in heaven!
        *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
        *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
        *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
          Oh! I LOVE edamame!!! Everytime we go out for sushi that is the first thing I order... well, with the large bottle of Asahi, of course. Then some soy and you're in heaven!
          Sounds great, eb! It's really easy to grow, actually. Fun to harvest, too.

Last year I planted 1 seed packet worth of edamame and wound up freezing 4 gallons of it to enjoy over the winter (in addition to the fresh stuff we ate). We're just finishing it off now.

This year I doubled my crop. :dance:
          FF is awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Flatlander Fan View Post
            Sounds great, eb! It's really easy to grow, actually. Fun to harvest, too.

Last year I planted 1 seed packet worth of edamame and wound up freezing 4 gallons of it to enjoy over the winter (in addition to the fresh stuff we ate). We're just finishing it off now.

This year I doubled my crop. :dance:
            Holy crap. I might have to try my hand at it then. It is a great little snack.
            *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
            *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
            *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

I'm disappointed in you corn man. No corn?

It is still too early to plant our garden here. Usually we do it around mother's day. You may remember me complaining about the first week of June for the last 3 years. We get a frost that kills everything. Highly aggravating.

I'm going to go ahead and plant the seeds around Mother's day but hold off on the tomatoes until June.

I will be planting corn.

We go with tomatoes, onions, green onions, carrots, broccoli, cucumbers and hot peppers. We also have a pumpkin patch that totally flopped last year.

I have no luck with watermelons, cantaloupe or green beans.
              :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

I have perennials in my little patches out front. Daylilies and shade plants...they always burn up.

My neighbor has one of those upside down tomato plants, like on that infomercial. I cant wait to see what it does.

My mom has planted a garden for years. She even has asparagus, lettuce, onions, green beans and cucumbers.

I wish we could plant a garden here, but our backyard is currently being taken up by a boat...
                sigpic
                Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
                -Sean Payton

Comment

I bought myself one of those 'topsy turvey' planters... the upside down hanging tomato planter... I'll let you guys know if it was worth it!

Comment

When I was a young teenager I worked a couple of summers at a market garden, and I literally had green hands for most of the summer, as a result of handling tomatoes most of the day. We used to wash our hands with "snap" (not sure if they make that anymore), which was something you would rub your hands with. It only worked for a part of the summer. I remember going to a wedding one of those summers, and hiding my hands under the table for part of the evening.

When we lived on 2 acres just outside the city we had a huge garden, and my wife loved it. It was an exciting time, with the John Deere and all, the roto-tilling, and the picturesque semi-country appeal. We grew tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, corn, cukes, onions, peas and a few other vegetables, plus a whole bunch of flowers.

Since we moved back, our garden is much smaller but contains some of the same items.

Gardens are a good thing!

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                      When I was a young teenager I worked a couple of summers at a market garden, and I literally had green hands for most of the summer, as a result of handling tomatoes most of the day. We used to wash our hands with "snap" (not sure if they make that anymore), which was something you would rub your hands with. It only worked for a part of the summer. I remember going to a wedding one of those summers, and hiding my hands under the table for part of the evening.

When we lived on 2 acres just outside the city we had a huge garden, and my wife loved it. It was an exciting time, with the John Deere and all, the roto-tilling, and the picturesque semi-country appeal. We grew tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, corn, cukes, onions, peas and a few other vegetables, plus a whole bunch of flowers.

Since we moved back, our garden is much smaller but contains some of the same items.

Gardens are a good thing!
                      Thanks for sharing your thoughts Can! Not many of us know how hard life was during the Neolithic Revolution.
                      Last edited by VenomousDB; 04-28-2009, 09:40 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VenomousDB View Post
                        Thanks for sharing your thoughts Can! Not many of us know how hard life was during the Neolithic Revolution.

Comment

I wish I had the patience.....last time I tried to plant anything..... I ended up just pouring water on dirt....poured the seeds in the mud....and just stepped on them until they went under..... amazingly nothing grew....
                          "Badger my a$$ it's probably Milhouse...."

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoManiac_69 View Post
                            I'm disappointed in you corn man. No corn?

It is still too early to plant our garden here. Usually we do it around mother's day. You may remember me complaining about the first week of June for the last 3 years. We get a frost that kills everything. Highly aggravating.

I'm going to go ahead and plant the seeds around Mother's day but hold off on the tomatoes until June.

I will be planting corn.

We go with tomatoes, onions, green onions, carrots, broccoli, cucumbers and hot peppers. We also have a pumpkin patch that totally flopped last year.

I have no luck with watermelons, cantaloupe or green beans.
                            My neighbor actually farms, so I get all the sweet corn from him that I can eat. I decided that meant I didn't have to worry about growing it myself. I'll be using the garden space for my expanded soybean crop this year. Thought about potatoes, but decided against it for now.

This is my first stab at watermelons, so I'll let you know how it goes. I don't grow green beans because one of my sons doesn't like them, but they grow like weeds here.

Originally posted by BroncFanIN View Post
                            I have perennials in my little patches out front. Daylilies and shade plants...they always burn up.

My neighbor has one of those upside down tomato plants, like on that infomercial. I cant wait to see what it does.

My mom has planted a garden for years. She even has asparagus, lettuce, onions, green beans and cucumbers.

I wish we could plant a garden here, but our backyard is currently being taken up by a boat...
                            Sounds like the opportunity to have a super-sized container garden to me, IN!

I've thought about those upside down setups, just for fun. I'd be interested in hearing how it goes.

Originally posted by jetrazor74 View Post
                            I bought myself one of those 'topsy turvey' planters... the upside down hanging tomato planter... I'll let you guys know if it was worth it!
                            I'm interested in the yield on those things. I'd consider one for a cherry/grape tomato plant probably.
                            FF is awesome!

Comment

So what'd you plant, Law Giver?
                              FF is awesome!

Comment

Working...
                              X