People Are So Obsessed with Other People..Its Very Strange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People Are So Obsessed with Other People..Its Very Strange

We watch movies, and get involved and emotionally connected to the characters.

We watch television shows, root for some people over others, and we connect with different characters.

We watch sports(teams are essentially just groups of people) and fill stadiums with thousands upon thousans. We argue over WHO our teams drafted..Seriously, we argue over different PEOPLE. Some we really like, some we dont. Why?

We have people in our sigs and for our avatars..Im the perfect example for that one.

I was thinking about this and wondering why we are so obsessed with others. Theres got to be some different aspects that involve psychology in there, and Im guessing a lot of it has to do with our hunting and gathering groups. I mean, sometimes I just think its weird that I turn on the TV to watch other human beings doing whatever they do. But what do you guys think? Has anyone else ever thought about this?
    sigpic

Originally posted by VenomousDB View Post

We watch television shows, root for some people over others, and we connect with different characters.

We watch sports(teams are essentially just groups of people) and fill stadiums with thousands upon thousans. We argue over WHO our teams drafted..Seriously, we argue over different PEOPLE. Some we really like, some we dont. Why?

We have people in our sigs and for our avatars..Im the perfect example for that one.

I was thinking about this and wondering why we are so obsessed with others. Theres got to be some different aspects that involve psychology in there, and Im guessing a lot of it has to do with our hunting and gathering groups. I mean, sometimes I just think its weird that I turn on the TV to watch other human beings doing whatever they do. But what do you guys think? Has anyone else ever thought about this?
    I am a notorious people watcher. I am curious about people and what makes them tick. In that regard, I love biographies, to learn about the paths that people have taken to be where they end up. And I always tune in to what these folks have done when faced with adversity, as that's a common theme for each and every one of us. None of us have it easy. It's how we handle those situations that make it look easy for some, and not so easy for others.

I am a student of life, I guess you could say, and I truly love meeting new people, anywhere. That's why it's so fun to travel and meet folks from all over the globe. We have so many unique variables that make us what we are. Then again, we are just people, and our similarities are surprisingly vast in quantity.

There are some theories that intrigue me, and one is that we are all just floating around, trying to be part of something. And the reason that theory interests me, is that as organized as the world appears, it's not really that simple. The clusters are related to some form of connection, and the connection is what we as individuals may require. We need some structure and we need to be valued. Therefore even the brightest folks still have to find their way, and where they fit. From a distance it appears straightforward, but it's not that simple after all.

Did I just say all of that????? I had a small drink, nothing else!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by VenomousDB View Post

I think you've been hanging with CanDB.

It's too late to think of anything else. I'll get back to you tomorrow (I think).
      Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

Lupus Awareness Month

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoFaninMD View Post
        I think you've been hanging with CanDB.

It's too late to think of anything else. I'll get back to you tomorrow (I think).
        VD is okay with me anytime!!!

By the way MD........ya think.......

Comment

I think its cause like things are generally interested in each other. Ever been walking a pet (dog, cat, armadillo, crocodile, platapus, wildebeast, small child, whatever) and your pet sees another pet like it and has to stop and watch it do whatever it does?

Same thing. We have this inner feeling of having to know what or why the other thing is doing what its doing.

Were fascinated by it.
          LET 'ER BUCK!!!
          Adopted by: Peanut, Chazoe60, CanDB, RealBronco and JakeNbake

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
            VD is okay with me anytime!!!

By the way MD........ya think.......

sigpic

And THAT'S, the Cosmic Perspective.

Comment

Yes VD, I catch myself scratching my head over it too. Especially when it comes to celebrities. Look at how many shows ar eon tv dedicated to cele watching. Magazines too. Crap... websites. I try not to care... but at the end of the day when I'm catching up on the news and the headline says- "Lohan to perform in Vegas peep show" I obviously have to take a look.

When I've thought about it I've come to a few conclusions.... one being in that we are all insecure to a degree and need to see what others are doing to give us a something to strive for. Granted... I'm NOT going to perform in a peep show in Vegas... but I can't help but to watch the failed marriage for Mel Gibson and attatch that mortality to my life in realizing that he is not a better person then me. 'Course.... the Lohan thing may just be because I'm a guy and like nekkid woman??

Then.... there's Can's thought; I LOVE watching random people in public. Human nature baffles me!!! The similarities, yet the differences at the same time. The way one person walks as oppsed the ther person right next to them. Facial expressions and reactions to outside influences. Wondering what that person is thinking and being able to see their insecurities or confidece in certain things. Julianne and I often times will go out for coffee or frozen yogurt just to watch people. Or we'll walk the mall to watch people. We get lost in it and can lose hours just doing that.

Interesting thread VD.... thanks for sharing.... the THREAD, not your namesake.
              *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
              *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
              *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

A little more......

I just love people watching, especially in airports (had to plug that), downtown, or at meeting places.....in that regard, in places far away, where I can check out what the people from foreign places look like, how they dress, and how they behave. It's like people "101". In fact, on some trips, when my family goes shopping until they are dropping, I like to get a coffee and sit in the busiest of all places......and take it all in. And when in a distant location, I almost feel invisible, given no one knows me and will probably never know me. There is absolutely no reason to be self-conscious. It's so cool.

There is another human trait theory that I have......we are drawn to "exception". That is, we are trained to some degree to ignore common, regular sights (or sounds or whatever), while being captivated by unusual sights, sounds etc. And in the case of people, when watching crowds, we tend to notice what's different. It could be size, fashion, unique looks, a certain outstanding behaviour.......therfore watching a crowd is a sensory rush, especially in places that have a different culture, at which point it becomes a bit of a sensory overload. I love it. Far better to observe firsthand than to read it in books.

Comment

I know it's strange VD. Some times I feel silly for caring about a sports team as much as I do the Broncos... but it's okay.

I don't care about the celebs, the movie stars- whoever. I don't understand America's crush on fame and fortune. It makes me sick sometimes, the way people will dream and fret over somebodies life they read in the tabloids. I live my own life, and do my best to do so without any regrets. Spending time worrying about people who don't concern me (vicariously through TV or something) doesn't do anybody good.

People are attracted to success... or something they want. Turns out those two are usually synonymous. In your signature, Brandon Marshall is there because you think he's a cool guy. It's because he's dominant. He's possesses the most physical prowess on your favorite sports team. As for the beautiful woman... well that's something you would want, too.

As far as the Denver Broncos and myself go. I try not to attract to personnel. I love the game of football (and enjoy all sports). I was born near Denver Colorado and the Broncos will be the franchise I foolishly fall over because I don't have a choice. It's why I remain optimistic when our team seems to be in such turmoil. Things are crazy.
                  Last edited by Zealander; 04-28-2009, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zealander View Post
                    I know it's strange VD. Some times I feel silly for caring about a sports team as much as I do the Broncos... but it's okay.

I don't care about the celebs, the movie stars- whoever. I don't understand America's crush on fame and fortune. It makes me sick sometimes, the way people will dream and fret over somebodies life they read in the tabloids. I live my own life, and do my best to do so without any regrets. Spending time worrying about people who don't concern me (vicariously through TV or something) doesn't do anybody good.

People are attracted to success... or something they want. Turns out those two are usually synonymous. In your signature, Brandon Marshall is there because you think he's a cool guy. It's because he's dominant. He's possesses the most physical prowess on your favorite sports team. As for the beautiful woman... well that's something you would want, too.

As far as the Denver Broncos and myself go. I try not to attract to personnel. I love the game of football (and enjoy all sports). I was born near Denver Colorado and the Broncos will be the franchise I foolishly fall over because I don't have a choice. It's why I remain optimistic when our team seems to be in such turmoil. Things are crazy.
                    Always a blast reading your posts Z!!!!

:salute!:

Comment

I must admit i have a man crush

On myself.....oh yea
                      sigpic

Comment

This isn't exactly people watching, but...

When I drive around at night, I look at all the houses and wonder about the people inside. Are they happy? In pain? Is their world falling apart? Eating dinner? What kind of lives do they have? Is it different than mine?

It makes me feel separated from myself.
                        Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

Lupus Awareness Month

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

When I drive around at night, I look at all the houses and wonder about the people inside. Are they happy? In pain? Is their world falling apart? Eating dinner? What kind of lives do they have? Is it different than mine?

It makes me feel separated from myself.
                          They're watching tv.

Comment

They're probably snoring on the couch.....j/k

MD....You are a bona fide people person....

(if you drive by my house you'll probably hear "why didn't I get some CP for that????" (my voice)....followed by "get off that computer!!!!!" (not my voice).

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                              A little more......

I just love people watching, especially in airports (had to plug that), downtown, or at meeting places.....in that regard, in places far away, where I can check out what the people from foreign places look like, how they dress, and how they behave. It's like people "101". In fact, on some trips, when my family goes shopping until they are dropping, I like to get a coffee and sit in the busiest of all places......and take it all in. And when in a distant location, I almost feel invisible, given no one knows me and will probably never know me. There is absolutely no reason to be self-conscious. It's so cool.

There is another human trait theory that I have......we are drawn to "exception". That is, we are trained to some degree to ignore common, regular sights (or sounds or whatever), while being captivated by unusual sights, sounds etc. And in the case of people, when watching crowds, we tend to notice what's different. It could be size, fashion, unique looks, a certain outstanding behaviour......
                              .therfore watching a crowd is a sensory rush, especially in places that have a different culture, at which point it becomes a bit of a sensory overload. I love it. Far better to observe firsthand than to read it in books.
                              This caught my mind.

Everyone's heard of predators preying on the young, weak and old in nature, right?

In the book [I]Prey[I] Michael Chrichton references a study that was done. Predators attack these creatures not because they are easier to kill or catch... but because they are different and stick out in the crowd. The study proved this by marking one member of a herd of prey (with a paint stripe I believe)... and the predators went after this member EVERY time.

Food for thought.

Don't pardon the pun.

Comment

Working...
                              X