Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Computer geeks/nerds... I need your help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer geeks/nerds... I need your help!

First of all, if you are a computer geek/nerd... I admire you. There is nothing wrong with that.

I thought I was pretty decently knowledgeable about computers, but I want to clarify something.

On my PC back at home, I want to add more virtual memory, or RAM as it's called.

I just checked, and the computer (which is windows xp) has 512 MB of RAM currently on the motherboard, and it will allow a total of 1 GB of RAM.

I downloaded a freeware program that tells you information about your PC, and it says that the General type of memory is called "DDR2", and the size is 512 MB.

So if I wanted to add some memory, all I have to do is go out and buy a DDR2 RAM chip?

I'm thinking about this one.... Walmart

15 bucks for a 1 GB isn't bad at all.

go broncos!

I really hope that the BRONCOS will get to the playoffs this next season. Or better yet, the SUPER BOWL!

Comment

Pretty much.

As long as your motherboard as an extra RAM slot you should be good to go. You'll just need to open the case and pop in it.

Or.....you could get a Mac and have no worries ever...
      sigpic

And THAT'S, the Cosmic Perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by broncoswilbeatu View Post
        I really hope that the BRONCOS will get to the playoffs this next season. Or better yet, the SUPER BOWL!
        sigpic

Comment

Well, er, other than some of the misuse of technical jargon in the post (all is forgiven to be honest ) you're looking for some more DDR2 and the one displayed should be right.

If it's at all possible, try and get some matching what's already in your PC as mixing and matching memory modules isn't usually particularly efficient. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but memory works best when all the modules operate under same the same parameters (the various speeds/timings/voltages).

How old's the computer? Max of 1GB ram seems a bit low.
          sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

Originally posted by Gr3yStreet View Post
            Pretty much.

As long as your motherboard as an extra RAM slot you should be good to go. You'll just need to open the case and pop in it.

Or.....you could get a Mac and have no worries ever...
            Thanks for the reply Gr3y. (cp when I'm off probie)

I do have a question.

I did a scan of my computer at Crucial, and it said my memory type was DDR2 PC2 5300.

The one at walmart that I want to buy is DDR2 PC 5300. Does that need to be a PC2, or is PC5300 okay?

If that made sense.

Comment

Originally posted by B4Bronco6 View Post

I do have a question.

I did a scan of my computer at Crucial, and it said my memory type was DDR2 PC2 5300.

The one at walmart that I want to buy is DDR2 PC 5300. Does that need to be a PC2, or is PC5300 okay?

If that made sense.

sorry..that is beyond me. My knowledge ends at "Just pop it in"...
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by B4Bronco6 View Post

I do have a question.

If that made sense.
                Yes that would make sense... But it would make more sense to get a new PC, with more "power". Better processor, better motherboard, display board, and so on...
                sigpic

Comment

It's not that simple. You need to be sure what bus speed your motherboard will handle.

Best thing to do is google your mother board model number or even just the model of computer you have and "memory upgrade".

For example my motherboard is a Asus PC-DL so I'll search google for: "Asus PC-DL Memory".

Or you can go to the manufactures website and they will recommend the proper memory for you.

Some memory HAS to be paired up, in other words matched to another of the same type and capacity, or it will either not recognize the memory or use the lowest amount of memory for both slots.

All this info is available to you from the manufacturer of your PC.

Comment

Originally posted by Red-Falcon View Post
                    Yes that would make sense... But it would make more sense to get a new PC, with more "power". Better processor, better motherboard, display board, and so on...
                    Well, I do have a laptop.. but this is for my PC back at home. And I'm a broke college student! FTL!

Originally posted by // / yardo View Post
                    It's not that simple. You need to be sure what bus speed your motherboard will handle.

Best thing to do is google your mother board model number or even just the model of computer you have and "memory upgrade".

For example my motherboard is a Asus PC-DL so I'll search google for: "Asus PC-DL Memory".

Or you can go to the manufactures website and they will recommend the proper memory for you.

Some memory HAS to be paired up, in other words matched to another of the same type and capacity, or it will either not recognize the memory or use the lowest amount of memory for both slots.

All this info is available to you from the manufacturer of your PC.
                    Well I called my dad because he wanted memory upgraded on his VISTA, and we both have DDR2 PC2-5300 memory modules, and those are the same ones our current PC's are using (less RAM of course), so I think I'm good now.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

While we have computer nerds attention, I have a problem of my own.

I am able to burn a CD or DVD movie on my PC at home. No problems.

However....

I made a movie of my grand daughter with MovieMaker and I cannot get it burned on a disc.

When I put the blank CD in the drive, it tells me I don't have a burnable drive (or something to that effect). This confuses me. If I can burn a disc, why can't I put the movie on a disc? I've tried both DVD blanks and the CD-R discs. Neither work.

The computer also does not recognize the blank CD. In other words, the CD icon does not show on my desktop like it does if I'm playing a CD or movie.

This has been driving me crazy. What am I doing wrong?
                      :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoManiac_69 View Post

However....

I made a movie of my grand daughter with MovieMaker and I cannot get it burned on a disc.

When I put the blank CD in the drive, it tells me I don't have a burnable drive (or something to that effect). This confuses me. If I can burn a disc, why can't I put the movie on a disc? I've tried both DVD blanks and the CD-R discs. Neither work.

The computer also does not recognize the blank CD. In other words, the CD icon does not show on my desktop like it does if I'm playing a CD or movie.

What program for burning do you use? I use NERO, and it works great. And, the movie, what type is it? .avi or .mpeg or.wmv? Cause that's important to. If you saved it as a Movie maker Project, I don't think you can burn it...
                        sigpic

Comment

You should look on your other stick of ram and see what it says on it. Or take it into a place and have them give you another stick. Your motherboard will only support certain types of DDR2 ram, such as PC-3200, PC-4500, DDR2 800, DDR2 1600, etc... There will be some letters and numbers like that on the stick of ram currently in your computer. You will want to get the same as you have in there or find out what your motherboard supports.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/Category...17&name=Memory

If you look there you can see what I am talking about. It has that as the first thing listed for all the memory they sell.
                          Last edited by jhns; 05-01-2009, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoManiac_69 View Post

However....

I work with computers & do a lot of video production that involves burning discs. I dont think your doing anything wrong, but maybe your dvd/cd drive may be going out on you. I think your drive may be going out because it doesn't recognize the disc you use. If Im correct, you can replace your drive for less than $30. But I'd explore everything before you go out of your way to buy another drive. :2cents:

Comment

Originally posted by Red-Falcon View Post
                              What program for burning do you use? I use NERO, and it works great. And, the movie, what type is it? .avi or .mpeg or.wmv? Cause that's important to. If you saved it as a Movie maker Project, I don't think you can burn it...
                              That is my problem and thank you. It is only saved as a MovieMaker Project. How or what do I do to convert it?

I can go in and "open with" Quicktime or Mediaplayer and it will play. It appears to be made as an .exe doc.

I was able to send to "RecordNow" and it did actually burn on a disc but when you punch it in to the play drive or even our TV DVD player, nothing is there.

Originally posted by Broncos6FTW View Post
                              I work with computers & do a lot of video production that involves burning discs. I dont think your doing anything wrong, but maybe your dvd/cd drive may be going out on you. I think your drive may be going out because it doesn't recognize the disc you use. If Im correct, you can replace your drive for less than $30. But I'd explore everything before you go out of your way to buy another drive. :2cents:

I rarely burn period and so to think my burner is "burned out" doesn't make sense.

But as mentioned, when I stick a blank in, the icon does not show up on my desktop.

I'm so stupid when it comes to this stuff.
                              :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X