Clear All

• Broncbeat
    replied
    Nice read and good post! RIP Darrell.

Leave a comment:

• Peerless
    replied
    Originally posted by CTM View Post
    I have the boxed set of DVD's, it is an awesome series.

RIP Darrell Powers
    Same here. Was WELL worth the money I paid.

Leave a comment:

• Sunbiz1
    replied
    http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...E1A9B52&page=1

Look what I just found, approximately 600 minutes of footage.

Originally posted by VenomousDB View Post
    Ive been wanting to watch Band of Brothers again lately, just havent gotten to it, but I should soon. Those guys are the real heros!

Leave a comment:

• CTM
    replied
    I have the boxed set of DVD's, it is an awesome series.

RIP Darrell Powers

Leave a comment:

• Flatlander Fan
    replied
    Originally posted by darth-hideous View Post
    i tried giving you a C.P. for this however it says i have to spread some reputation around before giving it to peerless again,when i can C.P. to you.:salute!:
    Don't worry, I hit him with some for you.

Nice job, peerless. :thumb:

Leave a comment:

• VenomousDB
    replied
    Ive been wanting to watch Band of Brothers again lately, just havent gotten to it, but I should soon. Those guys are the real heros!

Leave a comment:

• darth-hideous
    replied
    i tried giving you a C.P. for this however it says i have to spread some reputation around before giving it to peerless again,when i can C.P. to you.:salute!:

Leave a comment:

• Sunbiz1
    replied
    http://vimeo.com/5006988

Nice work peerless, your posting gave me a few ideas for a 4th of July Tribute thread. Actually, we have a veterans salute thread buried in another section here as well.

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=144069

Yep, there it is.

Leave a comment:

• BroncoManiac_69
    replied
    Nice read B4 and thanks for posting.

Celebrities are dropping like flies lately.

RIP "Shifty" :usa::salute!::usa:

Leave a comment:

• Amidst The Death Of Celebrities, A True American Hero Passes

Ed McMahon died on Wednesday, June 24th. On the morning of June 25th it was announced that 70’s stunner Farrah Fawcett passed away. Then, before the sun could set on the East coast, pop icon Michael Jackson joined the other two. I was rather quick to report the deaths of Fawcett and Jackson, missed the McMahon death until after Jackson’s. While I was writing about the death of Jackson, I realized that in the overall scheme of things, one of America’s greatest hero’s had passed away last week and he left this world with little fanfare.

His name will only be recognized by a handful, not the masses that come along with the likes of the trio mentioned above. His name was Darrel Powers. To his friends he was called “Shifty“. A simple man from the hills and mountains of Virginia, Shifty Powers never recorded an album, never acted in a movie, and never sat on the “Late Show” or any other late night talk show. Instead, Powers was a part of a dying group of men and women who fought for this nation in World War II.

He will be immortalized however. Featured in the film “Band of Brothers” an epic 10 part mini-series on HBO, Shifty Powers was an “Easy” company man in the 506′th PIR (Parachute Infantry Regimen) “Screaming Eagles“. On a day when Jackson and Fawcett passed away, and McMahon the night before, I find myself not looking at the three of them with sadness but my own regret for not announcing the passing of an American hero last week.

Shifty Powers battled Germans and numerous medical issues in his later years. He was 86 and represents a continual increase in the number of WWII veterans who are leaving our lives. Unlike the above, these are our grandfathers and even our grandmothers. They represent a simpler time and even now, decades later, an era that today is hardly understood by us younger generations.

For those who are familiar with the “Band of Brothers” story, first brought to the public by the late historian Anthony Ambrose, then you too will know that even now, it seems that many of the fallen soldiers of WWII are once again re-uniting with their friends.

It is a sad day when 3 celebrities die, one at least completely unexpected. While we may think we know them through their popularity, it’s often the ones that we don’t know that have done the most for our way of life. It’s because of the sacrifices of those men and women, that I wrote this article. I’m truly glad you found it.

May Shifty Powers and all the men and women who have done so much for our country by putting themselves in harms way find peace in the here after. May they realize their childhoods and young adult lives that were so devastatingly taken away from them.

Perhaps I could have put this on the site as a front page article, honoring all of the American hero’s. Instead, I think much like they lived their lives, it’s a quiet tip of the hat in a way that many of them wanted to live. I put this article where it is at out of complete respect.

Rest in peace Mr. Powers, another Eagle has flown home.

For those of you who have watched the wonderful mini-series "Band of Brothers" on the history channel, or own the box set DVD's, Shifty was one of the 'stars' of the series. If you can't remember which character he was, the only thing I can say that would help would be: He's the damn good shot.

A simple man, with a lot of heart for his brothers in arms, and for the enemy at the time.

"We might have had a lot in common. He might've liked to fish, you know, he might've liked to hunt," Powers said. "Of course, they were doing what they were supposed to do, and I was doing what I was supposed to do.

"But under different circumstances, we might have been good friends."
    I'm a little late on this, because Shifty died peacefully on June 17th, but I actually have researched and read a lot about Easy Company after watching the series, and I was saddened to see that Darrell passed away.

RIP Darrell "Shifty" Powers. :usa:

He was one man, out of the thousands of men and woman over the years that have protected and fought for our freedom. But as Independence day is coming up later this week, we should remember the veterans from every generation and war, and remember that they gave us the chance to sit here and live our life as free as possible.

:usa:
Working...
X